Killzone 2 is only 30 FPS!!!!!

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 coolguy681
Member since 2006 • 1353 Posts

I am shocked. To my knowlege I never knew that Killzone 2 is only 30 FPS. With the PS3s power Killzone 2 should definetly be 60 FPS. I found this out from Game Informer earlier today. Plz comment.

StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 StrayMBlasTER
Member since 2005 • 375 Posts
i think it looks pretty smooth, you think its possible it might change?
TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
Do you have a link because I can't find it on their site
Biflan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Biflan
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

shall we weep? =X

timmotool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 timmotool
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Blasphemy! Show a link or proof.
AlphaRedWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlphaRedWolf
Member since 2006 • 799 Posts
So is Resistance whats the big deal
coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 coolguy681

Do you have a link because I can't find it on their siteTelcharXI

I found this when I read the game informer magazine involving Killzone 2.

"Strong tech built over the course of more than two years enables a world that is amazingly detailed and smoothly animated at 30 frames per second."

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
Lies! say it aint so!!!
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPS
TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
Ah, because I would think that they would have it on their site somewhere since that would be big news
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts
i already knew that, you didn't saw the 25 min video, in that interview they said that KZ2 will be in 30 fps, because they want to add more physics and stuff like that
coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolguy681

Here I found this from IGN

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/815/815430p3.html

It is written on the third page 2nd to last paragraph that Killzone 2 is running at 30 FPS on 720p.

"Once Mathijs and Steven opened up the floor to questions, the specs of Sony's golden game started to come into focus. Killzone 2 will run at a steady 30 fps in 720p."

Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts

I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPSrogerjak

If it's "crappy and unstable" then it's not 60FPS... -_-

EMERlCa6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EMERlCa6969
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
It runs at a steady 30fps just like Resistance. The only difference is that it has motion-blur, so it should actually look smoother.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogerjak

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPSColdplay07

Frame drops? slow downs? It can be 60 but it can have slow downs
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPSColdplay07

Not always the case some games dip in framerate when they're at 60. Just because it's 60 doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be smooth sometimes games are made at 60 but they dip and the game becomes choppy in some points and I think a steady 30 FPS with motion blurr is better because of the amount of things in KZ2. A 60 FPS could have a lot more problems taking away from the experience of the game therefore losing hype and reviews giving it a harsher score. RFOM ran at 30 FPS and there were no problems so it's not a big deal.

Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

It runs at a steady 30fps just like Resistance. The only difference is that it has motion-blur, so it should actually look smoother.EMERlCa6969

If Killzone 2's fps is anything like Resistance than is fine for me. However, there's still time for them to push it up to 60.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogerjak
[QUOTE="Coldplay07"]

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPSG-Legend

Not always the case some games dip in framerate when they're at 60. Just because it's 60 doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be smooth sometimes games are made at 60 but they dip and the game becomes choppy in some points and I think a steady 30 FPS with motion blurr is better because of the amount of things in KZ2. A 60 FPS could have a lot more problems taking away from the experience of the game therefore losing hype and reviews giving it a harsher score. RFOM ran at 30 FPS and there were no problems so it's not a big deal.

This is away I get along with this guy! he is smart :P

~hi G

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game.
datret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 datret
Member since 2005 • 7789 Posts

OH NOEZ!!!

I really care.

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
And why does this matter?
DragonXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragonXx
Member since 2004 • 887 Posts

im sure they can pull more than that on the final version. im pretty sure they will make it 60FPS at 1080P thats usually what they aim for right?

whatever its not done yet.

da1writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 da1writer
Member since 2005 • 581 Posts

Darn it, Do some of you live under a rock or something, this is kinda old news.

Please use the search button next time...

Anyway, 30 fps is not bad if it never dips. Developers have already said that they are still trying to learn the PS3, some sacrifices have to be made.

60 FPS= Good looking game but Not too much eyecandy

30 FPS= TONS of Eyecandy to drool over

Now I know you can see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps but you have to take into account of Developers views. 30 fps isn't bad at all as long asit doesn'tdip lower than that, the games are good nonetheless. Some developers know how the PS3 works through their own tests likeNaughty Dog (Uncharted: Drakes Adventure)and Infinity Ward(Call of Duty 4). They know how to make their games not only look good but run at 60fps through their own tests and learning of the PS3.

Don't sweat it though, Haze and Unreal Tournament 3 will be at 30fps as well and both look great and play fine for 30fps. Just like other people noted, Resistance: Fall of Man runs fantasticly and still looks great too, even though it just runs at 30 fps!Don't worry, with time people will learn how to use the PS3 to it's full potential and run all games at 60 fps and still look fantastic. For now, just go buy the game when it comes out, you know it's going to awesome just like the other PS3 games coming out this year!

Also take note: This game is still in beta stages and anything could change when it's near completion, like bumping up the 30fps limit to 60 fps. You never know until the time comes ;)!

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
Is there something wrong with 30 FPS ? :|
coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolguy681

Darn it, Do some of you live under a rock or something, this is kinda old news.

Please use the search button next time...

Anyway, 30 fps is not bad if it never dips. Developers have already said that they are still trying to learn the PS3, some sacrifices have to be made.

60 FPS= Good looking game but Not too much eyecandy

30 FPS= TONS of Eyecandy to drool over

Now I know you can see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps but you have to take into account of Developers views. 30 fps isn't bad at all as long asit doesn'tdip lower than that, the games are good nonetheless. Some developers know how the PS3 works through their own tests likeNaughty Dog (Uncharted: Drakes Adventure)and Infinity Ward(Call of Duty 4). They know how to make their games not only look good but run at 60fps through their own tests and learning of the PS3.

Don't sweat it though, Haze and Unreal Tournament 3 will be at 30fps as well and both look great and play fine for 30fps. Just like other people noted, Resistance: Fall of Man runs fantasticly and still looks great too, even though it just runs at 30 fps!Don't worry, with time people will learn how to use the PS3 to it's full potential and run all games at 60 fps and still look fantastic. For now, just go buy the game when it comes out, you know it's going to awesome just like the other PS3 games coming out this year!

Also take note: This game is still in beta stages and anything could change when it's near completion, like bumping up the 30fps limit to 60 fps. You never know until the time comes ;)!

da1writer

Your right Killzone 2 is going to be an awesome game and im going to buy it.

AzireilViPyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AzireilViPyre
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="EMERlCa6969"]It runs at a steady 30fps just like Resistance. The only difference is that it has motion-blur, so it should actually look smoother.Thomas-Crown

If Killzone 2's fps is anything like Resistance than is fine for me. However, there's still time for them to push it up to 60.

No, there isn't. Fidelity with frame rate graphics is one of the hardest things to do in development, not to mention a huge money drain if the team wants to stay on target. With physics implementation and QA, I'm not sure how much time they could devote to pushing the ENTIRE engine up to 60 FPS. But 30 FPS is fine...gameplay over graphics, always.

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

Lies! say it aint so!!!CommanderTy
of course 30fps isn't as good as 60 FPS and this game doesn't appeal to me at all, but come on if you didn't complain when you saw the demo they did then you shouldn't complain now cause that was at 30fps and i don't think it was solid 30 then either so its gonna probably be a solid 30 fps when it arrives.

so who ever wants this game its no biggie, also this is kind of old news and in case you didn't know its 720p which personally i couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p most of the time, i only notice it a bit on bigger screens.

jzen_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28 jzen_
Member since 2003 • 711 Posts
??? did this make sense to anyone??? unstable 60 fps? i agree, a steady 30 fps is fine, but what do you mean unstable 60 fps?
bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts

Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game. Liquid-Prince

yes you CAN see more than 24 fps. ask any pc gamer and they can EASILY tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. console gamers on the other hand might not notice as much, because LOTS of console games run at 30fps. like Gears, and resistence.

SiiSsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SiiSsy
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

When you make a game that runs at 60 fps you sacrafice a ton of onscreen action.

Take COD4, the game has far more prescripted events like choppers crashing and tanks exploding...but it's all pretty scripted...with 30 FPS they could focus on upping enemies onscreen at once and then move to more random battles and explosions,but they want the game to run silk smooth...so expect a lot of repeat battles you master in 2 runs like....i dunno...their last game maybe? COD2?

Killzone 2 will have far better visuals and battles all round...just download the two videos off PSNand watch them on HD...their is no comparison...even on SD tv....KZ looks better all round.

pettman1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pettman1970
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game. Liquid-Prince

This argument never ceases to amaze and amuse me. My eyes must have never gotten the memo on this whole "The eyes can't see more than bla bla bla".

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 devilzrule27
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
the frames per second is of no concern to me as long as it runs smoothly. What I do care about is the fact that its only 720p! I bought a lovely 1080p set and I would like to use it on my ps3 games but most of them only do 720 what gives! It wont hurt the game at 720, i mean come on R:FoM and Gears of War both ran at 720(1080i in gears case if you wanted but who would) and those are two amazing looking games.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]I prefer a steady 30 FPS then a crappy and unstable 60 .FPSjzen_
??? did this make sense to anyone??? unstable 60 fps? i agree, a steady 30 fps is fine, but what do you mean unstable 60 fps?

OMG lol I just explained this framrates aren't always steady 100% of the time sometimes they dip and to keep a game at 60 FPS steady with the amount of detail as KZ2 is really hard. At 60 FPS theres a lot of things that have to be taken out of course for now that is probably in the future when devs are used to the PS3 they will have very detailed games at 60 FPS. But my point is 60 FPS is hard to keep steady with a lot of detail and it can dip which causes the game to become choppy or laggy. KZ2 has motion blurr which should make the game look smoother and better anyways and 30 FPS is fine especially since it will be steady. An example of a great game with 30 FPS is RFOM runs like a charm.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I'll take 30FPS anyday.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
OH NOES!!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THIS FOR MONTHS ALREADY!!!! WE AREN'T UBER 1337 NO MOAR!!!! HAXXXXX!!!!!
wallpaper42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wallpaper42
Member since 2005 • 4127 Posts
30 FPS is good and pretty much unnoticable if it's higher than that but they still have a lot of time to work on it...
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

Usually if a game is capped at 30fps, it's due to the fact it can't handle a full 60fps with the amount of detail they're trying to push into the title, so rather than having a sporadic frame-rate, and adjusting the logic timing in the code to deal with that, they figured it's just easier to lock the game at 30 frames, and work from there.

Long as the game is guaranteed to never dip below that 30fps, they're good.

(god, I die a little inside when I see console titles that can't even keep a steady 30fps)

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game. pettman1970

This argument never ceases to amaze and amuse me. My eyes must have never gotten the memo on this whole "The eyes can't see more than bla bla bla".

A human eye can not pick up the anything after 24 frames/second. Example: You have 24 pictures and you play them in a slideshow at 24 FPS, you can just about see every image flash in that second even if you can't comprehend the given shapes and such, but anymore then that and our eyes just glue a bunch of blurs together.

leadlefthand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 leadlefthand
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game. bizzy420

yes you CAN see more than 24 fps. ask any pc gamer and they can EASILY tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. console gamers on the other hand might not notice as much, because LOTS of console games run at 30fps. like Gears, and resistence.

True, there is a boat load of difference (in most cases) between 30 and 60 fps. However, resistance stilllooks very smooth (much smoother than GEOW and R6V) despite running in 30 fps regardless of what's happening on-screen. My cousin was also fooled into thinking RFOM was 60 fps the first time he saw it. Motorstormis also smooth moreoften than not (although MS suffers some dips whenthe action gets frantic).

As long as if it's done right, KZ2 at 30 fps won't be a big deal.

pettman1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pettman1970
[QUOTE="pettman1970"]

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]Do people even know what the FPS means... Our eyes can't even see as fast as 24 FPS, and besides the game is a shooter not some sort of extremly fast paced racing game. Liquid-Prince

A human eye can not pick up the anything after 24 frames/second. Example: You have 24 pictures and you play them in a slideshow at 24 FPS, you can just about see every image flash in that second even if you can't comprehend the given shapes and such, but anymore then that and our eyes just glue a bunch of blurs together.

I'm not talking flashing pictures in front of your face. I'm saying when playing computer games to console games; I can see the difference in a locked in 30 fps and a stable 60 fps. Thats it plain and simple.

Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
30 frames is fine for shooters people, it can still be a great game, just look at the halo series 30 frames and its silky smooth
Taylor9124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 Taylor9124
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
agreed
dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

I am shocked. To my knowlege I never knew that Killzone 2 is only 30 FPS. With the PS3s power Killzone 2 should definetly be 60 FPS. I found this out from Game Informer earlier today. Plz comment.

coolguy681

30 fps on an FPS is a problem how?

Robinho1873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Robinho1873
Member since 2007 • 1066 Posts
Only thing that annoys me is that my tv only supports 1080i. 30 fps will run smooth on a shooter and itll be fine. But the 720p is the only hiccup for me because ill have to end up playing it in 576p grrrrrrrrrrrr.
pettman1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pettman1970

30 frames is fine for shooters people, it can still be a great game, just look at the halo series 30 frames and its silky smoothLo_Rising

I will respectfully dissagree that Halo is silky smooth. When I used to PC game if a game didn't run at 60 to 80 frames per second; it was time for me to upgrade. Halo is locked at 30 fps and is for the most part tolarable to me as is every first person shooter that is locked at 30.I just prefer the more realistic movements of 60 fps.

GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
The first halo ran at 30 frames and it seemed like a smooth 60 frames.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
30 is fine! most games still only run in 30FPS. with that said i thought UT III is runing at 60!
lazeaai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 lazeaai
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts

coolguy681

The faster the frame rate the harder it is for the ps3 to render. Especialy in hd with those amazingly detailed graphics.

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts

a solid 30fps is JUST FINE. Man all this technical lingo thrown around these days. People think that anything not 60fps+ is no good

Mr_duong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Mr_duong
Member since 2006 • 309 Posts
to hard to spot difference when ur actually playing so does it matter if its 30 fps? plus with all thats going onscreen 30 fps sounds reasonable, this is like when people complained bout halo 2 running on 30fps on the original xbox, big deal still played great