Is the 1st real traditional JRPG for PS3 Ninokuni? Why 6 years later?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 neuropunk
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]So your opinions of all those are based on your own right? Let's see your PSN account.

If anyone wasn't sure that you don't know about JRPGs, your paltry list just confirmed it. All highly publicized in the West and are and/or getting localized. Get educated.

Gxgear

Not seeing any great JRPGs on your list there.

And it's more than 0, which is the exact amount you have?

Nope, I already named 5 in this topic

5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>0

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Xillia

Tales of Xillia 2

Lost Odyssey
Xenoblade

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]
Not seeing any great JRPGs on your list there.

neuropunk

Anyone can list games, even if they haven't played them. Let's see your account.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

I'll end this discussion right now.

Valkyria Chronicles > Everything

neuropunk

it's a great game, but it's SRPG, not turn based JRPG.

SRPG =/= JRPG

Still a fact though. It's better than every game ever.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

Anyone can list games, even if they haven't played them. Let's see your account.

I'll save you the trouble. Of that list I have currently only finished Tales of Graces F and Lost Odyssey. Probably going to play through Xenoblade soon.

anyhow, not sure what point you're trying to make.

Point is that JRPGs suck these days, and there are very few exceptions, and I and many people miss great turn based JRPGs that are like Xenogears, FF7-FFX, etc.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

neuropunk

I'll save you the trouble. Of that list I have currently only finished Tales of Graces F and Lost Odyssey. Probably going to play through Xenoblade soon.

Point is that JRPGs suck these days, and there are very few exceptions, and I and many people miss great turn based JRPGs that are like Xenogears, FF7-FFX, etc.

So no proof you've actually played them? Okay.

The point is your opinion aren't facts, especially when you can't even substantiate that said opinions are valid based on your having played the games, good or bad.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Tales of Xillia 1&2 haven't released yet. Why list them as good games?

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

The point is your opinion aren't facts, especially when you can't even substantiate that said opinions are valid based on your having played the games, good or bad.

Why would I need proof if I have played them or not? You don't make any god damned sense.

Hey Einstein, I'm not going by my opinion alone. I am going by popular opinion.

Tales of Xillia 1&2 haven't released yet. Why list them as good games?

whiskeystrike

It's the Tales series and everyone says they're good. Sure, Vesperia sucks and people said that was good, but I'm sure the Xillia games are probably fantastic still.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

neuropunk

Why would I need proof if I have played them or not? You don't make any god damned sense.

So you've adopted other people's opinion as your own, which means your professed knowledge about JRPGs are nothing but an empty claim. That's cool.

As long as we've established that 1)What you treat as truths are really just opinions, and 2)Your opinions are, in fact, outsourced through critics/others/popular opinion, you can say whatever you like. Not that you know what you're talking about, just that you like parroting what the media has spoonfed you.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

I just ordered Ni No Kuni off of Amazon, pretty good game did play the demo and like the art style to the game. As for other games Eternal Sonata was one of my favorite games. and Tales of series I liked Tales of Symphonia the best, followed by Tales of Vesperia. And as for Borderlands I liked that game too and will likely be getting the 2nd game. and I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one on here that actually like Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and I'm also planning on getting Lightning Returns as well. Then again as for the Final Fantasy series only other titles I have played were VII, Crystal Chronicles, IV(DS), FFX and FFX-2 and did like FFX as well. And guess not many played Resonance of Fate, not really sure which category that falls in other RPG.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#60 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I just ordered Ni No Kuni off of Amazon, pretty good game did play the demo and like the art style to the game. As for other games Eternal Sonata was one of my favorite games. and Tales of series I liked Tales of Symphonia the best, followed by Tales of Vesperia. And as for Borderlands I liked that game too and will likely be getting the 2nd game. and I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one on here that actually like Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and I'm also planning on getting Lightning Returns as well. Then again as for the Final Fantasy series only other titles I have played were VII, Crystal Chronicles, IV(DS), FFX and FFX-2 and did like FFX as well. And guess not many played Resonance of Fate, not really sure which category that falls in other RPG.

-Vulpix-

Naw, you're not alone. I enjoyed FF XIII too. I enjoyed XII, X, and X-2 WAY more, but it was still a decent game nonetheless. Quite a few people actually liked XIII, but the haters of the game and SE in general are very very vocal.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#61 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I remember the days when people just played games and had fun. What a fvcking novel concept, eh?
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Basically the tc hates all games except Ni No Kuni, so instead of saying no JRPG's you should say no JRPG's you like.
neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

So you've adopted other people's opinion as your own, which means your professed knowledge about JRPGs are nothing but an empty claim. That's cool.

As long as we've established that 1)What you treat as truths are really just opinions, and 2)Your opinions are, in fact, outsourced through critics/others/popular opinion, you can say whatever you like. Not that you know what you're talking about, just that you like parroting what the media has spoonfed you.

Put simply, you are insane and delusional if you really think that PS3, 360 and Wii JRPGs are up to par with SNES, PS1 and PS2 JRPGs.

If you're going to continue lying, just know that you're only fooling yourself.

Nothing opinion about it, current gen JRPGs are super sucktacular. According to you, current gen JRPGs don't suck and they're up to snuff with PS1 and PS2 JRPGs. So you think current gen JRPGs don't suck, but if they don't suck, then how come they suck?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 whiskeystrike

The handheld RPGs this gen were certainly up to par.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 neuropunk

The handheld RPGs this gen were certainly up to par.

whiskeystrike

Anything up to par with Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and the PS1 Final Fantasies?

I wanna say Lunar Silver Star Harmony, but that is a remake of a PS1 game. Phenomenal though. Can't think of any other handheld JRPGs that really stood out. I finally finished Tales of the Abyss for the first time, a few months ago on 3DS.

For SRPGs, Jeanne D'Arc is the best SRPG I have played this gen too (better than Valkyria Chronicles), and the Tactics Ogre remake / port was fantastic.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 whiskeystrike

Radiant Historia.

I have qualms with the lack of exploration but it's a great throwback to SNES RPGs, like Golden Sun.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 neuropunk

Radiant Historia.

I have qualms with the lack of exploration but it's a great throwback to SNES RPGs, like Golden Sun.

whiskeystrike

I started it and it's okay. Not sure if I will go back to it. Think I played it for like 3-5 hours.

Started Suikoden Tierkreis, but lost interest. Bought the original Suikoden a while back and never finished it either.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

neuropunk

Put simply, you are insane and delusional if you really think that PS3, 360 and Wii JRPGs are up to par with SNES, PS1 and PS2 JRPGs.

If you're going to continue lying, just know that you're only fooling yourself.

Nothing opinion about it, current gen JRPGs are super sucktacular. According to you, current gen JRPGs don't suck and they're up to snuff with PS1 and PS2 JRPGs. So you think current gen JRPGs don't suck, but if they don't suck, then how come they suck?

All I'm doing so far is successfully proving that you know nothing of the genre, largely thanks to your help of course. Putting words in my mouth's not going to help you much since I've said none of those things.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 neuropunk

All I'm doing so far is successfully proving that you know nothing of the genre, largely thanks to your help of course. Putting words in my mouth's not going to help you much since I've said none of those things.

Gxgear

You have done nothing of the sort. I know the JRPG genre quite well after playing JRPGs since 1995.

Also, why are you fighting with me? I'm on your side. JRPGs (turn based especially) and first party Nintendo titles are my favorite games.

My point is that they just don't make JRPGs like they used to. JRPGs as a whole have been on a steep decline in quality for many years now.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

Let's be clear, for people that are not uninformed 16 year old kids, traditional JRPGs = turn based JRPGs (Suikoden, FF7 to 9, Shadow hearts, Legend of Dragoon ...), meaning the battle is fought only by choosing which action ALL characters (and not just the leader) will do, either attack, defend, use an item, cast a spell ... This generation? Only Enchanted arms fits in this category. Ni no kuni has you moving around and controlling only one character, thus NOT a traditional JRPG.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 neuropunk

Ni no kuni has you moving around and controlling only one character, thus NOT a traditional JRPG.

TheTenth10

Yes, but aside from Lost Odyssey, it is the next best and closest thing. My point is that beggers can't be choosers. it's sorta turn based, but more dynamic. I wish though that it had more traditional combat. That's all I and millions of other people really want from current gen JRPGs is more traditional style. Still, Nino is pretty close. I can't wait to either buy or rent it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 whiskeystrike

I guess traditional is perspective. Action JRPGs have been around since the early days of Final Fantasy. Probably the most notable action JRPG series, Tales, started out on SNES with Tales of Phantasia, not to mention other titles like Sword of Mana and Illusion of Gaia. To me, action RPGs feel just as deserving of being called traditional as turn-based ones, at least on the Japanese sideof things.

Now with Western RPGs that's a different story, being that the RPG genre owes itself to the ultima series

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]All I'm doing so far is successfully proving that you know nothing of the genre, largely thanks to your help of course. Putting words in my mouth's not going to help you much since I've said none of those things.

neuropunk

You have done nothing of the sort. I know the JRPG genre quite well after playing JRPGs since 1995.

Also, why are you fighting with me? I'm on your side. JRPGs (turn based especially) and first party Nintendo titles are my favorite games.

My point is that they just don't make JRPGs like they used to. JRPGs as a whole have been on a steep decline in quality for many years now.

If you made that last statement at the OP I would have been fine with. But you didn't, You made a claim that couldn't be further from the truth and tried to shove it down people's throats. That I have a problem with. You can backpeddle and rephrase what you've said all you like, but the original posts don't lie.

You didn't make the thread to have a sensible discussion, you made it to antagonize and challenge people. So I'm humouring you and giving you what you want. You've failed to provide any evidence of having played the JRPGs you've claimed to "suck" this gen (which is apparently all but one game) with a proper PSNID, which can only mean that not only your opinion carries zero weight but also that it's not really your own. Put up or shut up (although I doubt you are capable of either).

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 neuropunk

If you made that last statement at the OP I would have been fine with. But you didn't, You made a claim that couldn't be further from the truth and tried to shove it down people's throats. That I have a problem with. You can backpeddle and rephrase what you've said all you like, but the original posts don't lie.

You didn't make the thread to have a sensible discussion, you made it to antagonize and challenge people. So I'm humouring you and giving you what you want. You've failed to provide any evidence of having played the JRPGs you've claimed to "suck" this gen (which is apparently all but one game) with a proper PSNID, which can only mean that not only your opinion carries zero weight but also that it's not really your own. Put up or shut up (although I doubt you are capable of either).

Gxgear

I'm not out to prove anything and I'm not going to give my info to a stranger. You have how many platinums? Wow, you must play a lot of bad games.
I didn't make a claim, but I stated a fact.

Fact is that I have been awaiting a traditional JRPG on PS3 for 6 years now and I'm through with being patient. You think 6 very long years is being impatient for a JRPG? PS3 doesn't normally get PS1 and PS2 quality level JRPGs, which is my entire point.

Six years waiting for proper JRPGs, you bet your sweet bippy that I'm through with being nice and patient. You expect me to keep being patient for quality JRPGs, despite me waiting for an entire six years. No proper JRPGs because of the plague of generic sucky shooter "games".

Also, I didn't name only one JRPG as being great, I named five. Please learn how to count before you post again. Thanks.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]If you made that last statement at the OP I would have been fine with. But you didn't, You made a claim that couldn't be further from the truth and tried to shove it down people's throats. That I have a problem with. You can backpeddle and rephrase what you've said all you like, but the original posts don't lie.

neuropunk

I'm not out to prove anything and I'm not going to give my info to a stranger. You have how many platinums? Wow, you must play a lot of bad games.

Fact is that I have been awaiting a traditional JRPG on PS3 for 6 years now and I'm through with being patient. You think 6 very long years is being impatient for a JRPG? PS3 doesn't normally get PS1 and PS2 quality level JRPGs, which is my entire point.

Six years waiting for proper JRPGs, you bet your sweet bippy that I'm through with being nice and patient. You expect me to keep being patient for quality JRPGs, despite me waiting for an entire six years. No proper JRPGs because of the plague of generic sucky shooter "games".

Also, I didn't name only one JRPG as being great, I named five. Please learn how to count before you post again. Thanks.

I don't care how many trophies you have, just that you have proof that you've played them. You don't have to right or authority to condemn games and force it on others when you haven't even played them in the first place.

All I'm seeing is you dodging that fact that you've never actually played them, the longer you resist just proves my point even more. Carry on.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#76 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
This exchange is quite amusing :)
neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]If you made that last statement at the OP I would have been fine with. But you didn't, You made a claim that couldn't be further from the truth and tried to shove it down people's throats. That I have a problem with. You can backpeddle and rephrase what you've said all you like, but the original posts don't lie.

Gxgear

I don't care how many trophies you have, just that you have proof that you've played them. You don't have to right or authority to condemn games and force it on others when you haven't even played them in the first place.

All I'm seeing is you dodging that fact that you've never actually played them, the longer you resist just proves my point even more. Carry on.

Why would I not have played the games that I have said I've played? I love JRPGs, so why would I not play the games I've said I've played? I don't get you.

How can I show you proof without giving you my PSNID? I have had internet stalkers and harassment from trolls on GameFaqs (the scum of the internet), so why would I give anyone my ID?

Fact is, that it is unanimous that JRPG lovers are not happy with JRPGs this gen, in comparison to PS1 and PS2 ones. JRPGs have deteriorated in quality and it is because the formula and gameplay style has changed (turn based is dead on home console, which is why most of them suck).

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

neuropunk

Why would I not have played the games that I have said I've played? I love JRPGs, so why would I not play the games I've said I've played? I don't get you.

How can I show you proof without giving you my PSNID? I have had internet stalkers and harassment from trolls on GameFaqs (the scum of the internet), so why would I give anyone my ID?

Fact is, that it is unanimous that JRPG lovers are not happy with JRPGs this gen, in comparison to PS1 and PS2 ones. JRPGs have deteriorated in quality and it is because the formula and gameplay style has changed (turn based is dead on home console, which is why most of them suck).

None of that was what you said in the OP, keep backpedalling. Until you can man up (doubt it) or put up some proof I'm just going to keep hammering it home.

It's beyond doubt that you haven't touched the bulk of the JRPG genre, as you can't even name most of them aside from the highly publicized ones. There's no need to beat a dead horse and make yourself look bad.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I had enjoyed Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles and to the extent Final Fantasy XIII. I have to agree that Ni No Kuni is definitely the best JRPG we have had since PS3 launched and I do wish we had more games of such quality in the genre.

White Knight Chronicles (I, II) was decent as well but I'm also looking forward to Tales of Xillia.

I remember the golden age of PS1, PS2 JRPG days, the amount of fantastic and quality games were outstanding. The way I see it, the time and genre had taken back stage to ridiculous amount of genetic first person shooters. It's a new egg in the basket for consoles relatively speaking and it took this generation by storm.

This in reality pushed many developers to start making their FPS versions and make a quick buck, also the inclusion of multiplayer appeared to be number 1 on everyone's list.

All this put together and Japanese developers having a hard time adjusting to HD era of gaming pushed JRPG's on the last stage of importance. Hopefully next generation we see Japanese role playing games in larger amount with good quality. I don't believe however that we will ever see PS1 and PS2 days anymore. ;)