Is the 1st real traditional JRPG for PS3 Ninokuni? Why 6 years later?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 neuropunk
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
Why did it take the PS3 6+ years to finally get a great traditional JRPG? I wish it were a bit more traditional turn based ATB (no dynamic real time combat at all), but what can ya do? Beggers can't be choosers I guess. Will Ninokuni's success be a wake up call to Japanese developers that they need to go back to making great games again? I thought that earlier this gen Japanese devs said that turn based JRPGs don't sell anymore, but what were they saying that based on, exactly? (Now if only Squeenix would learn from Ninokuni) I still have yet to play Ninokuni other than the demo. Trying to decide whether to buy or rent. Just started my new job so I can't afford it yet.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

hum, Eternal Sonata? Tales of Graces f? White Knight Chronicles? WKC 2? Star Ocean: Last Hope? Ar Tonelico? How exactly is NNK the 1st traditional JRPG on the PS3? I know they arent alot but c'mon...

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

The unique battle systems are my favorite thing about JRPGs.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 neuropunk

The unique battle systems are my favorite thing about JRPGs.

crimsonman1245
Name me one great JRPG from this gen with a unique battle system. Uh-oh, here we are with somebody with Lightning from those freaking awful Final Fantasy XIII games in their sig. FFXIII ruined my favorite video game franchise. They're so mediocre and the battle system sucks and is boring. Anyhow, no point in being unique if it has subpar inferior combat, like FFXIII. No point in changing unless it is for the better (unlike FFXIII series).

hum, Eternal Sonata? Tales of Graces f? White Knight Chronicles? WKC 2? Star Ocean: Last Hope? Ar Tonelico? How exactly is NNK the 1st traditional JRPG on the PS3? I know they arent alot but c'mon...

Vatusus
Those are all action RPGs, and not traditional JRPGs (turn based). Eternal Sonata - sucks / Tales of Graces F - Fantastic / White Knight Chronicles & WKC2 - Sucks / Star Ocean - no comment, but action RPG / No idea what the hell Ar Tonelico is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Eternal Sonata - sucks / White Knight Chronicles & WKC2 - Sucks neuropunk

Cool opinion you got there buddy. Does not change the fact NNK isnt the 1st good traditional JRPG on the PS3

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]Eternal Sonata - sucks / White Knight Chronicles & WKC2 - Sucks Vatusus

Cool opinion you got there buddy. Does not change the fact NNK isnt the 1st good traditional JRPG on the PS3

Not so much a personal opinion, since not many people like them, and Eternal Sonata, WKC and WKC2 all bombed. I already told you that traditional JRPGs are turn based ATB games, not action JRPGs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Not so much a personal opinion, since not many people like them, and Eternal Sonata, WKC and WKC2 all bombed. neuropunk

hum wut? gtfo

Eternal Sonata has an 80/79 on meta. How is that a flop critically? You cant take conclusions by some people you know that dont like the games. Many people in fact do like them. WKC may have failed critically but in fact I do know many people that liked it. And big JRPG fans. FF XIII had both good scores and sales and its beyond sh*t.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 neuropunk
If what you are saying were true, then JRPG fans wouldn't be sorely disappointed like they have been all this gen. As a huge JRPG fan, I've been beyond pissed off at the lack of quality turn based games this gen. I have been wondering what JRPG developers have been doing since most of their games suck this gen. i think they've been trying to westernize their games and for some stupid reason they think they have to change their games. But...YOU DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN, YOU JUST END UP BREAKING IT!
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Yeah I dunno what this guy is arguing but this generation JRPGs have really dissapeared, well transferred to handhelds. But Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni give me hope that they can still make games that we all love. After the horror of FF13, maybe that rock bottom is what they needed to wake up and go back to their roots.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 neuropunk

Yeah I dunno what this guy is arguing but this generation JRPGs have really dissapeared, well transferred to handhelds. But Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni give me hope that they can still make games that we all love. After the horror of FF13, maybe that rock bottom is what they needed to wake up and go back to their roots.

AdamPA1006
I started Xenoblade but I cannot get into it. Not a fan of the battle system. I wish it was like the superior Xenogears, and with the turn based combat. Can you please tell me why people love Xenoblade so much? Surely it cannot be the combat? I made it to the spider boss and then just lost interest and quit. The story didn't seem good, and I don't like the style of combat. Surely it gets better?
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

neuropunk
I started Xenoblade but I cannot get into it. Not a fan of the battle system. I wish it was like the superior Xenogears, and with the turn based combat. Can you please tell me why people love Xenoblade so much? Surely it cannot be the combat? I made it to the spider boss and then just lost interest and quit. The story didn't seem good, and I don't like the style of combat. Surely it gets better?

I dont think the story even started for you yet. You cant quit, the best part about the game is exploring the massive world. You will see just keep rolling a bit then you will be hooked.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#12 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

:lol:

TC sounds incredibly angry over not being able to find turn based RPGs. By the way have you heard of a little game called Persona 4 Golden? It may be on the Vita but it is turn based and an excellent game.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 neuropunk
[QUOTE="neuropunk"]I dont think the story even started for you yet. You cant quit, the best part about the game is exploring the massive world. You will see just keep rolling a bit then you will be hooked. AdamPA1006
Well, i do still have the game. Maybe I will try it again once I'm finished with Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG and Donkey Kong Country 2. I'm just spending time with some of my favorite games I haven't finished for years. Then perhaps I will get back to a new game of Xenoblade. The new "X" by Monolith, Xenogears 2, looks so much better than Xenoblade. Giant mechs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no giant mechs

:lol:

TC sounds incredibly angry over not being able to find turn based RPGs. By the way have you heard of a little game called Persona 4 Golden? It may be on the Vita but it is turn based and an excellent game.

Lucky_Krystal
I would rather die than own a Vita. I own a 3DS instead. Yes, I am very angry about the swarm of PAAGGs and pewpew shooters this gen. Modern video games suck so badly and is so full of casual stupid shooters.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Eternal Sonata had a killer battle system. It was a fun game despite being short and very linear.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lucky_Krystal

I would rather die than own a Vita. I own a 3DS instead. Yes, I am very angry about the swarm of PAAGGs and pewpew shooters this gen. Modern video games suck so badly and is so full of casual stupid shooters. neuropunk

Well sh*t man. If you're getting that worked up over some video games, maybe you should find another hobby. Preferrbly a peaceful one that doesn't cause you such rage and hatred. :?

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"] I would rather die than own a Vita. I own a 3DS instead. Yes, I am very angry about the swarm of PAAGGs and pewpew shooters this gen. Modern video games suck so badly and is so full of casual stupid shooters. Lucky_Krystal

Well sh*t man. If you're getting that worked up over some video games, maybe you should find another hobby. Preferrbly a peaceful one that doesn't cause you such rage and hatred. :?

Final Fantasy - ruined Resident Evil - ruined Splinter Cell - ruined DMC / DmC - ruined NSMB - sucks. rehashes. bah music Castlevania - ruined with both the new PS3/360 game and the 3DS version JRPGs - no good turn based JRPGs anymore Superb series such as breath of fire and megaman are dead So how can you blame me for hating on modern games, when they don't make games as good as they used to? I LOVE games, it's just that the trends of modern video games suck, and developers such as Crapscum are stupid trolls who love to troll their fans. Squeenix can't develop good games, not like square soft. etc., etc. this gen sucks.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#17 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Vatusus

Well those aren't exactly traditional.

Eternal Sonata kinda sucks. Tales of Graces f has a terrible story, absurd amount of "friends" crap thrown in, but has a amazing battle system. WKC1-2 are decent, but has the worst story ever. Star Ocean is probably the worst JRPG I've played. Lymle alone is enough for anyone to hate the game. Not to mention Edge being a complete douche.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"] I would rather die than own a Vita. I own a 3DS instead. Yes, I am very angry about the swarm of PAAGGs and pewpew shooters this gen. Modern video games suck so badly and is so full of casual stupid shooters. neuropunk

Final Fantasy - ruined Resident Evil - ruined Splinter Cell - ruined DMC / DmC - ruined NSMB - sucks. rehashes. bah music Castlevania - ruined with both the new PS3/360 game and the 3DS version JRPGs - no good turn based JRPGs anymore Superb series such as breath of fire and megaman are dead So how can you blame me for hating on modern games, when they don't make games as good as they used to? I LOVE games, it's just that the trends of modern video games suck, and developers such as Crapscum are stupid trolls who love to troll their fans. Squeenix can't develop good games, not like square soft. etc., etc. this gen sucks.

I agree with you except on 2 things. Lords of Shadow was a great game. And if you own a 360 buy Lost Odyssey. It's an amazing JRPG with turn based battle system.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lucky_Krystal

Final Fantasy - ruined Resident Evil - ruined Splinter Cell - ruined DMC / DmC - ruined NSMB - sucks. rehashes. bah music Castlevania - ruined with both the new PS3/360 game and the 3DS version JRPGs - no good turn based JRPGs anymore Superb series such as breath of fire and megaman are dead So how can you blame me for hating on modern games, when they don't make games as good as they used to? I LOVE games, it's just that the trends of modern video games suck, and developers such as Crapscum are stupid trolls who love to troll their fans. Squeenix can't develop good games, not like square soft. etc., etc. this gen sucks.neuropunk

Well then, couple of things you can do here.

1.) Find another hobby like I said. One that doesn't cause you such grief

2.) Search for some better games. Those series you listed aren't the only video game series in existance. I've had times where my favorite series were ruined too. So you know what I did? Found another series to love. When it came to JRPGs I used to be all about Final Fantasy and Xenosaga. Then Xenosaga ended and Monolith began making RPGs for a system I had no intention to buy. And you know what happened to Square Enix. So then I tried out some games by Nippon Ichi and Atlus and I was hooked. I'm also hoping to get in to the Tales series and some Level 5 JRPGs as well. Before DMC was announced, I had played DMC 4 and was sad that (as far as I knew) no new DMC games were coming out. So I tried out Bayonetta and was hooked as well.

My point is, there's always something else out there. Hunt for some new game series and companies to support. You may have to squint your eyes and run around, but you CAN find some great games that came out this gen, games that the companies you listed had no hand in.

3.) If you really hate modern games that damn much, well lucky lucky you, digital downloading is all the rage now. Go download some PS1 classics. The PS1 had a plethora of turn based JRPGs.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

ristactionjakso

I agree with you except on 2 things. Lords of Shadow was a great game. And if you own a 360 buy Lost Odyssey. It's an amazing JRPG with turn based battle system.

I like Metroidvania though, and as long as the new God of War rip offs keep happening, the less likely I am to get a Metroidvania. Yes, Lost Odyssey (if not Nino) is the best traditional JRPG this gen. it's amazing.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Because they are boring...

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 neuropunk

StrongBlackVine
WHOA...somebody is super butthurt that a traditional JRPG is doing so well both sales wise and critically. JRPGs are much funner than your boring current gen shooters and generic formulaic POS games that try to be movies. Does it hurt you that DmC = HUGE FLOPPY BOMB ?
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

neuropunk

WHOA...somebody is super butthurt that a traditional JRPG is doing so well both sales wise and critically. JRPGs are much funner than your boring current gen shooters and generic formulaic POS games that try to be movies. Does it hurt you that DmC = HUGE FLOPPY BOMB ?

Have never played a DmC game before, but it has easliy outsold Ni Nu Crapu with almost a million already!! Games I will be buying including Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Last Of Us will all at least double and likely triple the sells of Pokemon: White Witch. Enjoy your Hentai!

Even a game that I do like Resident Evil 6 that was commercial and critical "flop", will end up with quadruple the sales of Nini. Let me know when Nunu hits at least 2 million....

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

Have never played a DmC game before, but it has easliy outsold Ni Nu Crapu with almost a million already!! Games I will be buying including Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Last Of Us will all at least double and likely triple the sells of Pokemon: White Witch. Enjoy your Hentai!

Even a game that I do like Resident Evil 6 that was commercial and critical "flop", will end up with quadruple the sales of Nini. Let me know when Nunu hits at least 2 million....

Go away if you're just a casual mainstream gamer. I don't play hentai games such as the Atelier series. Final Fantasy series / Xenogears / Chrono Trigger are hentai?????? WTF? Not sure where you're getting that, since I'm not into your shooter orgies. Plus first party Nintendo games pwn your favorite games, not to mention that series like Baldur's Gate and Legacy of Kain are far better than current gen boring western uncreative crap. Western developers couldn't be creative if their life depended on it. Dead Space 3 - ruined Tomb Raider - ruined. The new game isn't even Tomb Raider and not sure who the new chick is. Bioshock Infinite - OOOOOOH WOW, ANOTHER PAAGG, NEW AND EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pewpewpewpewpewpewpew Last of Us - formulaic Uncharted crap Do you listen to Justin Biebie and Lady Googoo and watch the Twilight movies since those all sell so well too? Oh and your PAAGG of Duty games suck. They're all exactly the same.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lucky_Krystal

Go away if you're just a casual mainstream gamer. I don't play hentai games such as the Atelier series. Final Fantasy series / Xenogears / Chrono Trigger are hentai?????? WTF? Not sure where you're getting that, since I'm not into your shooter orgies. Plus first party Nintendo games pwn your favorite games, not to mention that series like Baldur's Gate and Legacy of Kain are far better than current gen boring western uncreative crap. Western developers couldn't be creative if their life depended on it. Dead Space 3 - ruined Tomb Raider - ruined. The new game isn't even Tomb Raider and not sure who the new chick is. Bioshock Infinite - OOOOOOH WOW, ANOTHER PAAGG, NEW AND EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pewpewpewpewpewpewpew Last of Us - formulaic Uncharted crap Do you listen to Justin Biebie and Lady Googoo and watch the Twilight movies since those all sell so well too? Oh and your PAAGG of Duty games suck. They're all exactly the same.neuropunk

Maybe you and him should take your belligerent sexual tension somewhere more appropriate. Like maybe System Wars? Or PM? Because no one wants to hear that crap here. Also, nice job ignoring my last post TC. Though perhaps I'm the fool, for trying to reason with an obvious troll.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Hate.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"] WHOA...somebody is super butthurt that a traditional JRPG is doing so well both sales wise and critically. JRPGs are much funner than your boring current gen shooters and generic formulaic POS games that try to be movies. Does it hurt you that DmC = HUGE FLOPPY BOMB ?neuropunk

Go away if you're just a casual mainstream gamer. I don't play hentai games such as the Atelier series. Final Fantasy series / Xenogears / Chrono Trigger are hentai?????? WTF? Not sure where you're getting that, since I'm not into your shooter orgies. Plus first party Nintendo games pwn your favorite games, not to mention that series like Baldur's Gate and Legacy of Kain are far better than current gen boring western uncreative crap. Western developers couldn't be creative if their life depended on it. Dead Space 3 - ruined Tomb Raider - ruined. The new game isn't even Tomb Raider and not sure who the new chick is. Bioshock Infinite - OOOOOOH WOW, ANOTHER PAAGG, NEW AND EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pewpewpewpewpewpewpew Last of Us - formulaic Uncharted crap Do you listen to Justin Biebie and Lady Googoo and watch the Twilight movies since those all sell so well too? Oh and your PAAGG of Duty games suck. They're all exactly the same.

I llked Nintendo...when I was 5. Also I do play "non-casual" games: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonored, Heavy, both Final Fantasy XIIIs and really looking forward to Beyound Two Souls. Ni No Kuni just look like crap, like a cartoon from the 80s. You are the one that sounds butthurt.

I listen to music like Radiohead, Dixie Chicks, Counting Crows, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple and Alisson Krauss & Union Station. What do you listen to: J-Pop?

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 neuropunk
Maybe you and him should take your belligerent sexual tension somewhere more appropriate. Like maybe System Wars? Or PM? Because no one wants to hear that crap here. Also, nice job ignoring my last post TC. Though perhaps I'm the fool, for trying to reason with an obvious troll.Lucky_Krystal
I didn't bring it up, so tell him to bring his belligerant sexual tension elsewhere, since him, not me, brought it up. System wars? - I'm not talking about other systems here. Tell him not to bring that crap here since he's the one doing it. Yes, he is a very obvious troll.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]Maybe you and him should take your belligerent sexual tension somewhere more appropriate. Like maybe System Wars? Or PM? Because no one wants to hear that crap here. Also, nice job ignoring my last post TC. Though perhaps I'm the fool, for trying to reason with an obvious troll.neuropunk
I didn't bring it up, so tell him to bring his belligerant sexual tension elsewhere, since him, not me, brought it up. System wars? - I'm not talking about other systems here. Tell him not to bring that crap here since he's the one doing it. Yes, he is a very obvious troll.

It may upset you, but I really do think the game is crap. I might be hating, but I'm not a troll. I made short statement saying it was boring and you directed a tirade at ME.

Avatar image for TheWestCoastDon
TheWestCoastDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheWestCoastDon
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Eternal Sonata - sucks neuropunk

tumblr_lileqh1gDT1qawu6b.gif

I agree that this gen hasn't been strong for JRPG's but there have been a lot of games which are good and worth playing.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I can see where you're coming from. While there have been other jrpgs this gen, this one better captures the old jrpg feeling that I got from the SNES and PSX. Some of the previously mentioned jrpgs (Like Eternal Sonata) didn't have a proper world map and seemed to have longer cutscenes.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

All I'm getting from this is TC has no knowledge of JRPGs.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Last Rebellion is a turn based JRPG. Unique battle system too.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 neuropunk

Gxgear

I have probably been playing JRPGs longer than you have been alive, little kid.

Last Rebellion is a turn based JRPG. Unique battle system too.

enz2

It has an average score of 55/100. Everyone is in unanimous agreement that the game sucks.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yokofox33

The worst game of all-time is Star Ocean: The Last Hope. What a terrible, terrible game.

And who cares what people think about Ni No Kuni. Just enjoy the damn game and stop getting butthurt about dumb people you'll never meet in real life making fun of the game.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
hentai games such as the Atelier series.neuropunk
I was going to take you somewhat seriously until I read this. That line is typical for anti-JRPG people. If you're going to disregard this very classical JRPG series because you're stupid not even I can help you. BTW, you've also overlooked Enchanted Arms.
The worst game of all-time is Star Ocean: The Last Hope. yokofox33
Have you played SO: Till The End Of Time? I thought that one was a lot worse.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Gxgear
And judging by some of his other posts not much knowledge of video games in general.
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

Hello? whine-one-one?

I need a Waaambulance dispatched at this topic IMMEDIATELY!

wee ooo wee ooo

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"] Final Fantasy - ruined Resident Evil - ruined Splinter Cell - ruined DMC / DmC - ruined NSMB - sucks. rehashes. bah music Castlevania - ruined with both the new PS3/360 game and the 3DS version JRPGs - no good turn based JRPGs anymore Superb series such as breath of fire and megaman are dead So how can you blame me for hating on modern games, when they don't make games as good as they used to? I LOVE games, it's just that the trends of modern video games suck, and developers such as Crapscum are stupid trolls who love to troll their fans. Squeenix can't develop good games, not like square soft. etc., etc. this gen sucks.neuropunk

I like Metroidvania though, and as long as the new God of War rip offs keep happening, the less likely I am to get a Metroidvania. Yes, Lost Odyssey (if not Nino) is the best traditional JRPG this gen. it's amazing.

Who says traditional JRPG's are turned based? Lost Odyssey was rather average with a so so story and technical issues. Turned based has been going out the door since the mid 00's. Also, Japan is mostly interested in handheld systems. This is why not a lot of them come to consoles. I am not trying to be rude, but there is always somebody complaining about the lack of JRPG's on PS3 when all consoles this generation did not have that many to begin with, let alone great. If you want a true turned based RPG, then look out for Toki No Towa. That game looks repetitive and bland as all can be, but it might be a game you are looking for.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Action JRPGs are just as traditional as turn based JRPGs.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

neuropunk

I have probably been playing JRPGs longer than you have been alive, little kid.

You do an excellent job of concealing all that JRPG expeirence.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 neuropunk

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]
Why? Because I'm disappointed in all the crappy JRPGs from the last 7 or so years? In that time frame there are as many great JRPGs as I can count on one hand. Sucks for you that you must have bad taste, if you like every single crappy JRPG that comes out these days.

[QUOTE="Reptylus"][QUOTE="neuropunk"]hentai games such as the Atelier series.Legolas_Katarn

I was going to take you somewhat seriously until I read this. That line is typical for anti-JRPG people. If you're going to disregard this very classical JRPG series because you're stupid not even I can help you. BTW, you've also overlooked Enchanted Arms..

hFz8z.jpg

As you were saying about Atelier?

Anyhow...Enchanted Arms is horrible. Nobody likes it. Why do you bring it up?

Hello? whine-one-one?

I need a Waaambulance dispatched at this topic IMMEDIATELY!

wee ooo wee ooo

Marmotas

Go away, troll.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gxgear

Why? Because I'm disappointed in all the crappy JRPGs from the last 7 or so years? In that time frame there are as many great JRPGs as I can count on one hand. Sucks for you that you must have bad taste, if you like every single crappy JRPG that comes out these days.

neuropunk

You don't know about the non-localized ones, you treat western reviews as facts about the qualities of a Asian-dominant genre...yeah, you know about JRPGs alright.

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 neuropunk

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

Gxgear

You don't know about the non-localized ones, you treat western reviews as facts about the qualities of a Asian-dominant genre...yeah, you know about JRPGs alright.

If I cared about reviews, wouldn't I LOVE Final Fantasy XIII series? XIII and XIII-2 have around 80/100, right? Well, those are more like 3/10 30/100 games since they suck so bad. No, I don't trust western reviewers since they're biased and only give crap like Clone of Duty good scores, and the XIII series have been CoD-ized for the casual crowd.

Tell me of some great JRPGs that have come out in Japan but not the states. I have compiled a list of great JRPGs this gen:

Great JRPGs this gen:
Tales of Graces F

Tales of Xillia

Tales of Xillia 2

Lost Odyssey
Xenoblade

I would say Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, but those are western RPGs, even though they were made by a Japanese developer, they seem more like WRPGs. Also, those are the two best games this gen.

Also, ewwww, I just looked at your sig and you're playing Boredlands 2 and Ass 2. Why you play crappy games?

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="neuropunk"]

neuropunk

If I cared about reviews, wouldn't I LOVE Final Fantasy XIII series? XIII and XIII-2 have around 80/100, right? Well, those are more like 3/10 30/100 games since they suck so bad. No, I don't trust western reviewers since they're biased and only give crap like Clone of Duty good scores, and the XIII series have been CoD-ized for the casual crowd.

Tell me of some great JRPGs that have come out in Japan but not the states. I have compiled a list of great JRPGs this gen:

Great JRPGs this gen:

I would say Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, but those are western RPGs, even though they were made by a Japanese developer, they seem more like WRPGs. Also, those are the two best games this gen.

Also, ewwww, I just looked at your sig and you're playing Boredlands 2 and Ass 2. Why you play crappy games?

So your opinions of all those are based on your own right? Let's see your PSN account.

If anyone wasn't sure that you don't know about JRPGs, your paltry list just confirmed it. All highly publicized in the West and are and/or getting localized. Get educated.

danjin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 danjin44
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
@neuropunk if u consider Atelier porn game just because that pic, what u say about Mass Effect and Witcher 2 with actual sex in them. To me the problem isn't the lack of quality JRPGs rather it more about your taste in games, and I think your biggest problem is u listen to reviews for JRPG. Because most western reviewers have different view of how JRPGs should be than our own. Also try Persona 3 FES on PSN.
neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 neuropunk

So your opinions of all those are based on your own right? Let's see your PSN account.

If anyone wasn't sure that you don't know about JRPGs, your paltry list just confirmed it. All highly publicized in the West and are and/or getting localized. Get educated.

Gxgear

Not seeing any great JRPGs on your list there.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yokofox33

I'll end this discussion right now.

Valkyria Chronicles > Everything

neuropunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 neuropunk

I'll end this discussion right now.

Valkyria Chronicles > Everything

yokofox33

it's a great game, but it's SRPG, not turn based JRPG.

SRPG =/= JRPG

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]So your opinions of all those are based on your own right? Let's see your PSN account.

neuropunk

Not seeing any great JRPGs on your list there.

And it's more than 0, which is the exact amount you have?