is 500gb enough for you on ps4 ???

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

when I bought my ps3 I thought the 80gb hard disk will be more than enough for the games, but later when so many games came out I realized that it wasn't enough . and now with the ps4's memory and the big games coming on the next gen I don't think it will be enough . And this is the reason am gonna wait till there is an improvement in the ps4's memory and till that comes out I will buy a xbox one for passing out time.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

You do know that you can upgrade the PS4 HDD the same way you can on PS3, right? No need to wait for Sony to do it for you. You can make memory a non-issue right away.

As for me, no, 500gb will not be enough. I intend to go all digital with PS4 to take full advantage of remote play on Vita, so I know I'll be upgrading my HDD sooner than later.

desk_jet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 desk_jet
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

I think it will be enough for now, but if you plan on buying most of your games digitally, then your gonna need a bigger HDD eventually. I think I will buy a 1TB HDD at launch not to worry about transferring all my stuff later. I think I will eventually need more, but we shall jump over that obstacle when we get to it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I think it will be enough for me at least for a few years. I usually buy all my games. 500 gb seems massive to me. I have a 120 gb ps3 and I struggle to use all of it.

raydog44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raydog44
Member since 2006 • 248 Posts

@desk_jet:

Is Sony putting out a 1TB HD or are you buying a laptop HD? Is any HD compatible or does it have to be a certain one?

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@raydog44 said:

@desk_jet:

Is Sony putting out a 1TB HD or are you buying a laptop HD? Is any HD compatible or does it have to be a certain one?

I doubt Sony is putting out a 1TB HDD this early. I don't remember them ever selling different sized HDDs separate from PS3s.

My personal plan is to wait until I have a PS4 in my possession and see what others have done and how that went. I'm guessing it'll be a standard 2.5'' SATA drive with a drive speed of 5400rpm though.

Avatar image for AwkwardTurtle42
AwkwardTurtle42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 AwkwardTurtle42
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I've survived this long with 60GB... The only thing I really download is DLC since all my games are physical not digital, so 500GB should be fine for a while at least in my case. People with PS+ will probably want a bigger hard drive for the Instant Game Collection though.

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

I plan on waiting until the release of Destiny to buy a PS4. Right now, PS3 is at its peak. To think, the console's highest selling exclusive, Gran Turismo 6, still hasn't been released!

PS+ has been an awesome investment for me. I was a Day One member and the number of games in my download list is staggering. 500 GB is barely enough for me this generation.

An interesting point was made in favor of going all digital next generation with respect to Remote Play. I have a Vita with a 32 GB card...

I plan on adding the cost of a hard drive upgrade right into the cost of a PS4. I'll probably jump in when $500 nets me a console, game, and hard drive upgrade.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Don't know what they were thinking with 500GB really. It's no increase over current PS3 models and they'll be pushing PS+ from the beginning which really eats up space. I might wait for a 1TB model.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Don't know what they were thinking with 500GB really. It's no increase over current PS3 models and they'll be pushing PS+ from the beginning which really eats up space. I might wait for a 1TB model.

Assuming the download history is easier to search through and background and automatic downloading and installs work as advertised, it will be really easy to shuffle which games are downloaded and ready to play and re-download ones you want to revisit. Just keep the save files around and you're all set.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

Assuming the download history is easier to search through and background and automatic downloading and installs work as advertised, it will be really easy to shuffle which games are downloaded and ready to play and re-download ones you want to revisit. Just keep the save files around and you're all set.

Eh....true. Thing is, games will be a lot bigger. Some NBA game or something is said to be 60GB. I don't like the thought of shuffling and re-downloading games up to that size.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

I'm not sure really.

I still have a decent amount of space on my 250gb PS3 over the course of this gen, even with the a few large sized digital game copies on it, but since games will be even larger in size this upcoming gen it has me questioning if 500gb is actually enough.

Only time will tell, I guess.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

500 GB for a PS4? Insufficient.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I haven't cracked even 1/4 of my 160gig Slim over the 4 years I've owned it. So, I wont be needing any more than that for next gen. If I am running low, I'll just delete the data I'm not using. I can always load it again if I am going to replay a title.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Most likely. Usually, the only thing I get of the PSN store is smaller indie games. If there's a retail copy of the game, then I will be getting that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

PS4 500 GB is more than enough room for PS+ because I'm buying mostly physical copies again for the new gen.

DahLong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 11

#17 DahLong
Member since 2005 • 262 Posts

500 GB for PS4 is not going to be enough for me since i prefer to download the games instead of getting the physcial copies.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I have used maybe 60Gb of my 160Gb on the PS3 with peaks at 80Gb when lots of big demos came. I have about 20Gb of music and 3Gb of pics. When I stop playing a game I remove the data at once and never play more than 3 games in the same period, non material games scare me as prices will NEVER go down as these companies are greedy and they may remove the game I like from their servers when they like.

Edit :

For the PS4 as I play 2 games at most (physical) it won't be a problem and I can't put videos/MP3/pictures at the time so most of the 500Gb are unused

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Should be more than enough for me, I dont download that much from psn and I prefer to have my games on disc as opposed to downloading them, that way I can sell them when I'm finished with them or if I dont like them.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

My first PS3 was the 40Gigger, I filled the HDD with only gave saves and game data. 41 games and it was full. I tracked down a PS3 60 Gigger and filled up that HDD. Next was the first PS3 slim with 120 GB HDD I even managed to fill that up. So I bought a PS3 320GB HDD slim and have not yet fill up the HDD. I sold the 40 Gigger and 120 Gigger slim.

So now I have the PS3 60 Gigger Phat, 320 Gigger Slim and 250Gigger Superslim. for a total of 630 Gigabytes across 3 PS3's

Since game data, game patches, DLC,mandatory game installs and games saves will likely increase in size during the 8th generation. 500GB is just fine to start. But I am sure I will fill up the HDD of the Playstation 4. so I'm glad Sony has made it upgradeable by the user.

Eventually the PS4 slim will arrive as Sony has redesigned all of the Playstations thus far. PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSvita have all gotten their revisions and slims and superslims.

So by the time I fill up the 500GB HDD of the PS4. Sony will have released the PS4 Slim with a larger HDD. failing that I could just install a 750GB HDD in the PS4 myself.

Yes 500GB is good to start. I have no doubt I will fill it up.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#21 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

as of right now its enough, but I plan on upgrading mine as soon as I get it since I know I will use up more for the rest of the consoles life cycle, I just need to know the size of the HDD, I know its going to be 2.5" but I need to know the mm part if its 9mm or 15mm

--Thomas--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 --Thomas--
Member since 2009 • 920 Posts

@raydog44 said:

@desk_jet:

Any 2.5" SATA HDD will be fine. I they were to release a Sony branded HDD you'd probably have to pay extra for the exact same product with different logo.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

It is kind of small. I have a 250 gb HDD in my PS3 and I only have maybe 5 gb left, and that's only after somewhere between 3 and 4 years of use. Playstation Plus is going to be what fills up space, at least on PS3 that's the case.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

at launch, hell yeah. But in a year from now. Meh

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@DahLong said:

500 GB for PS4 is not going to be enough for me since i prefer to download the games instead of getting the physcial copies.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Sure why not.

CoUGHB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CoUGHB
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

That all depends on your budget. I rarely own more than a few games at a time and so I can usually clean space for the HDD. Even with PS+ games, I think I'll be more than ok. I bought GTA V digital version and I regret it. I will stick to hard copies from now on if possible, of course if I owned an awesome Vita, I may have to reevaluate.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@The_X_Factor_9 said:

I plan on waiting until the release of Destiny to buy a PS4. Right now, PS3 is at its peak. To think, the console's highest selling exclusive, Gran Turismo 6, still hasn't been released!

PS+ has been an awesome investment for me. I was a Day One member and the number of games in my download list is staggering. 500 GB is barely enough for me this generation.

An interesting point was made in favor of going all digital next generation with respect to Remote Play. I have a Vita with a 32 GB card...

I plan on adding the cost of a hard drive upgrade right into the cost of a PS4. I'll probably jump in when $500 nets me a console, game, and hard drive upgrade.

lol wat.... GT6 isnt going to be the highest selling game for PS3.... not by a LONG shot. after the disaster that was GT5, i bet you it doesnt even meet those numbers.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

ATM, my 320gig drive on my slim only has 9gigs left and I've been a Plus member from day one. I'd like to upgrade day 1 to 1TB just so I don't have to juggle data 2 years in and/or lose any data on a HDD upgrade with years of downloads to switch over. However, I'll have to do some homework on 1TB drives to find a must-have deal(perhaps Black Friday?). Although it's a good investment and a time-saver to upgrade at launch I'm not sure I'll have the dough for it.

On another note: I've been reading connections between digitally-downloaded games and remote play. Does this mean you can only remote play games that are store on your HD?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I have a 120GB Slim PS3 and that is enough for me.. The 500GB in the PS4 will be plenty.

Main reason being, that I prefer physical games over digital.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

There's no way I'm downloading games this generation ... Heard KZ is a 50GB download. So I'm sticking with discs so 500GB is more than enough.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think it's big enough for Sony to give you i mean 500gb is quite alot for a starting point, i mean it would of been nice for a 1tb drive but lets be realistic and anyway ps4 harddrives can be changed to bigger one's.

off topic but i am a little concerned more for the xbox one being 500gb and it being internal and not changable, i'm not entirely sure on what they were thinking but i guess that's for them getting more money so you buy from them and not anyone else.

On Topic 500gb is enough for now but i'm sure i'll need bigger but i am a hard copy buyer more than a digital one so i shouldn't use it all up but then again the whole ps+ thing will maybe dictate me changing it over time but it's quite simple to change over from what i here.

pearlboy601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pearlboy601
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

I've still got 40 GB's left on my 160GB. However, I also have over 1,000 songs save to it. Would have more if I deleted the songs. Haven't listen to them regularly in 2 years.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 phoenix5352

its out now that the ps4 wont have a external hard drive, now it really shouldn't be bought so soon , should be bought after few modifications are done on this issue.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Honestly, the most I've ever filled up my 120 GB PS is 25%.

That's not because I love gaming any less, it's that this gen SUCKED!!!!!!! Except for a few outstanding titles of course.

By the numbers FPS, lame anime JRPG, and QTE event filled TPS. I have a feeling next gen won't be any different.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#36 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I think it'll be fine for me, that is, if I avoid digital as much as possible. Of course, that probably won't be the case because I will buy digital if the price is right, but it usually isn't unless there's some nice sales. I wonder if mandatory installs from discs will be any larger than this gen. I mean, some game installs from discs have reached 8GB, so maybe 500GB won't be enough in the long run.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I'm going digital, so probably not.

Tubatica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tubatica
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

Two things:

For anyone interested there is a hard drive on newegg right now that works with PS4 that gives you 1TB of storage for 59.99 (after 20 dollar promo code). It's a samsung which I've never used but the reviews on Newegg are pretty good. I will probably be buying this myself.

Secondly, a lot of posters here haven't factored in the fact that even disc based games will require you to install the games onto the hard drive. If I'm not mistaken, this means the WHOLE game. So even if you buy discs you won't be necessarily saving space. However, I also have heard that when the game says it requires 50GB, that is simply for the installation/download process and once you actually have the game installed, the real amount of space taken on the drive would be 25GB. This is true currently with PS3 games. If you have 10 GB of space available, it will not let you download and install a game that takes 8GB.

SemperFi1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SemperFi1972
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@AwkwardTurtle42: you do know that most of the games are mandatory full install and at roughly 40gigs each you looking at maybe 12 games before having to delete them.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Due to the speed of my internet connection, I don't plan on digitally purchasing many games, so 500GB should be fine for now. I may upgrade to 1TB eventually, though.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 phoenix5352

yeah it might work out if you are not doing the digital download, but still the next gen games requires a mandatory installation which grabs a lot of memory. so if you have a huge collection of games then 500 gb isn't enough.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#42 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

you'll need more than 500GB, highest you can go right now would be 1.5TB since there is one 1.5TB HDD that meets the requirement of 9.5mm and 5400RPM

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Nope, my ps3 has a 750gb and I have already used up over half of it and have only belong to PSN+ for less than 6 months (meaning more of it is gonna get eaten up as time passes). So in preparation, I ordered a HGST 1.5TB laptop HDD for my PS4 and it's going in it day one. Unfortunately it's only 5400 rpm, but the biggest 7200 rpm drive was 1tb and the rest were all 750gb.

Now I just gotta wait for the UPS man on Nov 15th :)

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I just purchased the 1.5TB HGST HDD that was mentioned above. I hope that will last the lifetime of my PS4...but somehow, i dont think even 1.5 TB will be enough over a 6 year period if the games keep coming in at 40-50GB a pop.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 phoenix5352

an extra 1.5 TB will surely be enough , even I will buy the same thing. thanks

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I'll probably upgrade it.

My PS3 has a 1TB and it's practically full.

NYSea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NYSea
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

So let's say I hold off on a new HDD for a few months and rack up about 200GB of stuff, since we now know PS4 doesn't support external storage, how the f**k am I supposed to back up my data and get it onto the new drive?

Avatar image for AwkwardTurtle42
AwkwardTurtle42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AwkwardTurtle42
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@semperfi1972 said:

@AwkwardTurtle42: you do know that most of the games are mandatory full install and at roughly 40gigs each you looking at maybe 12 games before having to delete them.

I think that would still be okay in my case, that's about as many games as I can have installed on my 60GB PS3 right now anyway. I'll just delete installs for games I'm not currently playing to make room for new ones.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

500Gb is plenty for me, I am on PS+ but prefer keeping my installed games list tidy so if I don't think I'll be playing a game for a while it gets deleted and something else comes in. Think right now I have about 8 games installed coming to a grand total of about 25GB. So if game sizes even tripled I'll likely not crack even 200GB for a few years, 300GB with media and save files and whatever esle. Yeah 500GB is enough(for now).