Infamous 2 - Why the lower G.S. score?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I've noticed that Infamous 2 received a 7.5 on Gamespot, significantly lower than the first game. I may have only played through the demo, but the only complaints I could find were the hovering power raising Cole up a bit (a minor issue I just found personally irritating) and some of the action sequences feeling a bit uneasy. Other than that, the game was just about as electrifying as the first game, and seeing as it was almost the exact same game, shouldn't it have gotten at least close to as high of a score, like maybe an 8.5 or an 8.0 at the least?

Did anyone find any big issues with Infamous 2 after playing through most or all of the full game, or is the Gamespot reviewer full of it? And is the game worth buying?

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

The game is very good. It is definitely better than the 7.5 gamespot gave it.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Simply put the guy just didn't like it as much. I thought I was gonna agree with his review but I've beaten the game on good and nearly as evil both on hard difficulty and I just can't give the game lower than a 9. The game is just pure awesome sauce with the limitations being yourself. I always mix up my tactics which makes fighting enemies fun and satisfying. It sounds to me like if the guy just put the game on easy or thought his combat tactics through he would have given the game a higher score. Camera angles do go crazy while meleeing in tight spaces but thats about the only negative thing aside from the black and white moral choices,...literally.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Op, why can't you make your own decision? You've played the demo. You've looked at the score. Read the review. Read other reviews. Play the demo again. Make a decision.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

Simply put the guy just didn't like it as much. I thought I was gonna agree with his review but I've beaten the game on good and nearly as evil both on hard difficulty and I just can't give the game lower than a 9. The game is just pure awesome sauce with the limitations being yourself. I always mix up my tactics which makes fighting enemies fun and satisfying. It sounds to me like if the guy just put the game on easy or thought his combat tactics through he would have given the game a higher score. Camera angles do go crazy while meleeing in tight spaces but thats about the only negative thing aside from the black and white moral choices,...literally.

Zidaneski
yea those melee camera angels cam be a pain at times, but i found out i can move the right analog stick which moves the camera. i use it when i dont see where coles hitting or whose he hitting, i just turn the camera enough to see whats going on
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Beaten the game twice, gotten the platinum trophy and I have to say it's a master piece. Amazing, amazing game.

The graphics are a huge improvement from the first one, the gameplay is as parkour and fast as it has ever been, the new powers are freaking awesome. The good story has a very satisfying end, and the bad one makes you feel like crap at the end. Overall, I got it last week and I have been playing it non-stop until I got my platinum, and it has been one hell of an experience.

The review does the game little justice, many of the issues they mentioned are minor and I noticed only of them as I was playing. The only real issue I had is that the evil choices make no justification as to why you wanna choose them; you choose the evil decisions just to be evil. Unlike the first game there's no real motivation to choose to play as a bad Col.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
The guy who reviewed it clearly hadn't played the first game.He makes some points where you can easily guess he just played the second one.
sephaien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sephaien
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

I never liked infamous. I still can't believe that the first one got 9.0

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I loved both games, though I don't let my inner fanboy of 1 get in the way of my opinion on 2.

I felt that 2 was great, but it did nothing really new to 1, however I feel that it was very very underrated compared to 1, and I believe it should have scored the same, but not higher.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

The guy who reviewed it clearly hadn't played the first game.He makes some points where you can easily guess he just played the second one.conistant

The same GS staff that reviewed the original was also the reviewer for Infamous 2...

To answer TC's question, because it pleases the reviewer. At the end of the day, you (should) make the decision yourself, reviews are just there to help. Not to metion the fact that obsessing over an arbitrary score value, rather than the contents of said review, is pretty silly.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

actually the 2nd infamous is like the 1st but improved in any aspect , id give infamous a 7.5 and infamous 2 a 9 , really poor review imo

Donthizz_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Donthizz_86
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

this games opening scene alone is worth more than 9.0 just epic!

Super__FLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Super__FLY
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts
The guy who reviewed it clearly hadn't played the first game.He makes some points where you can easily guess he just played the second one.conistant
He played and enjoyed InFamous 1...he even gave it a 9.0...so yeah... Anyway, I watched the review and I respect his opinion but the points he makes seem very harsh, I'm enjoying the game and its 10x better then the first. Its atleast a 9.0 from me.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I give a reason I think the reviewer gave the game a 7.5 in my blog. But TC, don't depend on review scores for your purchase as much. But if you do, go to metacritic. As they have a compilation of scores.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
The game is a 8.5 in my book. Never cared about reviewer scores especially when one is not even close to the average scores from other sites.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

It's GameSpot's opinion on the game, so why even care why it recieved a 7.5?

Edit: However, I felt the game was FAR from epic & FAR from amazing & gave it a 8.5 in my review.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
It was the same reviewer.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="conistant"]The guy who reviewed it clearly hadn't played the first game.He makes some points where you can easily guess he just played the second one.supa_badman

thats even worse then , overrating 1and underrating the 2nd at the same time , with those graphics infamous 1 didnt deserve that score , but a improved infamous 2 with level editor gets a significantly lower score , that just dont make any sense , the scores are probably random , based on the mood of the reviewer
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm currently playing a game that Gamespot rated a 5.0, and having a really great time with it. I never did pay much attention to reviews, but these days they're getting even more off-the-wall than they used to be.

Oh well, it's not like many people pay any attention to them anyway. Reviewers have really marginalized themselves and the gaming public has been ignoring them for a while now.

itsphantom994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 itsphantom994
Member since 2011 • 122 Posts
It was an amazing game, it improved almost everything from the 1st one, imo it deserves a 9.0 atleast.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I just beat 2 this weekend, and it was better in every way than the original. Review scores... they don't mean half as much as demos.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Beaten the game twice, gotten the platinum trophy and I have to say it's a master piece. Amazing, amazing game.

The graphics are a huge improvement from the first one, the gameplay is as parkour and fast as it has ever been, the new powers are freaking awesome. The good story has a very satisfying end, and the bad one makes you feel like crap at the end. Overall, I got it last week and I have been playing it non-stop until I got my platinum, and it has been one hell of an experience.

The review does the game little justice, many of the issues they mentioned are minor and I noticed only of them as I was playing. The only real issue I had is that the evil choices make no justification as to why you wanna choose them; you choose the evil decisions just to be evil. Unlike the first game there's no real motivation to choose to play as a bad Col.

finalserenade75

Completely agree with this.

I platinumed it too and it's amazing. Really improves upon the first game in almost every way. Gamespot's reviewer's complaints surprised me when I played it because...

a) I never had a problem with close-quarter combat,

b) the camera never bothered me,

c) the morality system is just as good (at the end of each mission, there's a tally taken for how many enemies/civilians were harmed; if you harm more civilians than enemies then you receive negative karma), and

d) that black-and-white screen is not as bothersome as he put it since you can still see everything on screen and there's usually an abundance of energy around to remedy this problem.

It's an amazing, amazing game and should be given at least a rent. My only complaints were how they removed Cole's ability to recharge energy and health by riding the power lines/rail-road tracks, less comic book cutscenes (note: less, not no), and there's no way to locate dead drops in this game without searching in random places to find them (granted they're not hard too find).

Give it a shot. If you liked the first, you'll love this one.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
He was just cranky, his wife threw him out and he spent a cold night in the car, when he woke up he realised he left his wallet in the house and the wife run up a huge bill on designer clothes. So he went to work hungry and tired and was given inFAMOUS 2 to review and took out his frustration and anger on the game. :P
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

I've noticed that Infamous 2 received a 7.5 on Gamespot, significantly lower than the first game. I may have only played through the demo, but the only complaints I could find were the hovering power raising Cole up a bit (a minor issue I just found personally irritating) and some of the action sequences feeling a bit uneasy. Other than that, the game was just about as electrifying as the first game, and seeing as it was almost the exact same game, shouldn't it have gotten at least close to as high of a score, like maybe an 8.5 or an 8.0 at the least?

Did anyone find any big issues with Infamous 2 after playing through most or all of the full game, or is the Gamespot reviewer full of it? And is the game worth buying?

Honestly I never pay attention to gamespot scores. It's kind of like why every nintendo wii game is epic by reviewers. Then you actually play them and they are ok at best.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
GS Infamous 2 review will go down as one of the most questionable reviews on this site. I havent seen anyone actually say it deserved that score, especially when compared to the first game. It should have gotten the same score. At worst an 8.5. Its a great game so far (Im not finished yet).
dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
Being 80% into story gameplay is fun but story is not as compelling and the reviewer has correctly pointed out improper pacing of the game , joke of morality IMO Infamous was better game though visuals are hot in Infamous 2 but i would give it 8.5
BeerMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BeerMage
Member since 2009 • 267 Posts
Great game. Poor review. I'm on my second playthrough and I'm enjoying every minute of it. The only thing that was better in the first game was the morality system. It's pretty weak this time around, but morality aside, Infamous 2 is a big improvement as a sequel.
aGOODdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aGOODdude
Member since 2010 • 444 Posts

You know... With all that Sony has been through lately, it is plausible that they didn't have enough money to buy everyone off this time around...

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Ahh this reminds of the days when "Uncharted" got an 8 here. Everyone went nuts as if 8.0=1.0.:lol:

At the end of the day it's your opinion that matters. I loved the first and the demo alone already has me wanting to break my promise that Disgaea 4 would be my only other full price game this year.:x

FLYEboi50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 FLYEboi50
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts
I liked the game, but not as much as i really wanted to. The story imo just wasn't that great this time around. The most outstanding thing about the game was its gameplay. There are so many powers at your disposal. I rated the game an 8. The endings & character development of the bad guys really had an effect on my rating. But yeah, it's a damn good game to play. Really fun!
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

He did not play the whole game. On the GS podcast the reviewer was asked various questions about the game and he could not answer them. So I feel the review was not complete.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts

In my heart, both infamous games are 10s. In reality the second game would be an 8.5 or 9. It does have some glitches and the camera can get wonkey when close to walls. otherwise its amazing.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm playing it now and I don't know what GS was thinking, as usual. It's a solid game.

Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Game_On_
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

I loved the first Infamous; however, I think the second one is an absolute turd. Bad story, bad A.I., and TONS of bugs. Not only has this series possibly regressed, but its painfully obvious that Sucker Punch didn't even attempt to fix all the problems from the first one. I platinum'd Infamous 1 and i'm basically forcing myself to finish the sequel. Horrible disappointment.

defter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 defter23
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts

I couldn't decide story is better than first game or worse.But powers are better than first game :)

badassriddick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 badassriddick
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts

Guy who reviewed this is blind, dumb and has no place expressing his opinions on digital media. Just got this game today and its a fkn masterpiece.

I got this cos I liked....just liked....the 1st one but this game blew me away!!!!! The camera during melee is TOTALLY fine...very cinematic and not confusing at all unless ur a dumbass with balance issues. The jumping took a bit to get used to but then again am prolly out o practice from the 1st one. COLE ROKS!!!!!!!!!

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts

Guy who reviewed this is blind, dumb and has no place expressing his opinions on digital media. Just got this game today and its a fkn masterpiece.

I got this cos I liked....just liked....the 1st one but this game blew me away!!!!! The camera during melee is TOTALLY fine...very cinematic and not confusing at all unless ur a dumbass with balance issues. The jumping took a bit to get used to but then again am prolly out o practice from the 1st one. COLE ROKS!!!!!!!!!

badassriddick

Believe me, im a total infamous lover, just read my comment above. But the camera will get bad at times by walls. there are few random glitches now and then too. Its obviously better than a 7.5 though. In awesomeness and fun its a 10. talking technically, its about an 8.5 or 9.

olimcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 olimcool
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

I always found the first one to be incredibly overrated. the first games was prob like an 7.5 or 8, (so repetitve) and I have no interest in the second game.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

Op, why can't you make your own decision? You've played the demo. You've looked at the score. Read the review. Read other reviews. Play the demo again. Make a decision. Spellingiscool

Because he wanted to discusd it on a forum. Thats what there for.

_Telimtor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _Telimtor_
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

Tigerman950
I removed my preorder because of Gamespot low score, wondering if the game is still good, inFamous 1 is still my favorite PS3 action game and i'm afraid i'll be dissapointed with the second one.
Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Nerkle01
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="conistant"]The guy who reviewed it clearly hadn't played the first game.He makes some points where you can easily guess he just played the second one.AmnesiaHaze

thats even worse then , overrating 1and underrating the 2nd at the same time , with those graphics infamous 1 didnt deserve that score , but a improved infamous 2 with level editor gets a significantly lower score , that just dont make any sense , the scores are probably random , based on the mood of the reviewer

I agree with the last part. But then in 2009, imFAMOUS had really impressive graphics. Then, there weren't as many stunning games as there are now, so I see how you might say that. I remember then that inFAMOUS was incredible as nothing like in in that caliber had been done on the PS3 before. Then again, just my 2C
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
if anything I2 is better than I1 all around.....thats just my opinion....i dont think it was the same guy who reviewed the first one either.....which i kind of think it shouldve been...
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

gamespot is always weird with their reviews in my opinion.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrmusicman247
[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

_Telimtor_
I removed my preorder because of Gamespot low score, wondering if the game is still good, inFamous 1 is still my favorite PS3 action game and i'm afraid i'll be dissapointed with the second one.

Please. Get the game. If you liked the first, you will love the second.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrmusicman247
if anything I2 is better than I1 all around.....thats just my opinion....i dont think it was the same guy who reviewed the first one either.....which i kind of think it shouldve been...Eazy1891
It was the same guy.
Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Game_On_

[QUOTE="_Telimtor_"][QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

mrmusicman247

Disagree. I feel like the first infamous was a superior game overall. The only significant improvement in Infamous 2 are the graphics which still suffer from terrible aliasing. The story was far worse in Infamous 2 also and the same bugs still exist from the first game plus a few more. The A.I. is an utter joke and I don't think Sucker Punch even tested this game before it was released. All-in-all, Infamous 2 is still a good game, but not 8's and 9's like I hear a lot of fanboys claiming. The abundance of technical flaws alone keep this game from being a great overall.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

Its the Gamespot reviewer who missed the boat completey on Infamous 2, if you look at G4tv and IGN they give it a much higher and more reasonble grade.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="_Telimtor_"] I removed my preorder because of Gamespot low score, wondering if the game is still good, inFamous 1 is still my favorite PS3 action game and i'm afraid i'll be dissapointed with the second one.Game_On_

Disagree. I feel like the first infamous was a superior game overall. The only significant improvement in Infamous 2 are the graphics which still suffer from terrible aliasing. The story was far worse in Infamous 2 also and the same bugs still exist from the first game plus a few more. The A.I. is an utter joke and I don't think Sucker Punch even tested this game before it was released. All-in-all, Infamous 2 is still a good game, but not 8's and 9's like I hear a lot of fanboys claiming. The abundance of technical flaws alone keep this game from being a great overall.

Yes both games have technical flaws. But I've yet to see one person who enjoyed the game mention them. You know why? Because the overall game is great that they don't care about the flaws. I don't get the gripe about the A.I. And the story is fantastic.
Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts

Here's my logic:

Do I love the first one? Yes.

Does the second one look awesome? Yes.

So I'll buy it.

Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Game_On_

[QUOTE="Game_On_"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"] Please. Get the game. If you liked the first, you will love the second.mrmusicman247

Yes both games have technical flaws. But I've yet to see one person who enjoyed the game mention them. You know why? Because the overall game is great that they don't care about the flaws. I don't get the gripe about the A.I. And the story is fantastic.

Appreciation of the story is completely subjective so I won't begrudge you that. However, making blanketed statements that project your own opinion as the majority rule doesn't provide an infallable concensus. I could easily say that "most people don't complain, they just never buy another Infamous game," which is the case with "most" customers of "most" businesses for "most" products. In any case, there are a plethora of issues with enemy A.I. that become far more noticable when you play on "Hard." One example is how unsuspecting enemies within a certain range inexplicably become aware of your presence when you highlight them with the crosshairs. Taking this example one step further, try throwing a grenade at them and watch how they precognitively duck while their backs are turned to you. These are just a few examples of many A.I. issues that I have encountered thus far, but both I had experienced within the first 30 minutes of gameplay. I like the game, but i'm not blind to it's flaws nor am I going to sit here and act like this game is a perfect 10 because I want it to be. Sorry, not a fanboy.