FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

I don't buy any new games, why would I want to pay $80 for a game that will be half price in a year or $10 in 2 years. I only buy games that are old, I get the game with all the DLC's included, with all the bugs ironed out and I get to enjoy the game for $10 instead of paying full price and being the game tester for game companies that release games too early full of bugs.

I don't understand why anyone would buy brand new games for full price? Why?? So you can finish it in a week and say I blew $80???

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I haven't bought a physical disk game in about 10 years

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

So game companies can actually make games and not go bankrupt.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FanboyMcTroll

@speedfreak48t5p: That is an excellent point, but they drop in value so fast that if I wait I get it for a quarter of the cost, plus I get all the DLC's included instead of paying extra for them, and I have no bugs, so I think it's better to wait.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@tryit: me neither, physical media will die out all together soon

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would buy brand new games for full price? Why??

To play it straight away instead of waiting. If it's a beloved game people have been dying for it, they'll pre-order or buy it day one. It's that simple, mate.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

I buy a lot of games day 1 because i just can't wait to play them. And waiting that long and avoiding spoilers is very hard. Yes there is games that i buy a year later like fighting games so i can get all the roster. But if money is the problem for you. You can always trade it get some money back that's what i do with most of my games

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

@speedfreak48t5p: That is an excellent point, but they drop in value so fast that if I wait I get it for a quarter of the cost, plus I get all the DLC's included instead of paying extra for them, and I have no bugs, so I think it's better to wait.

Well maybe I want to enjoy the game now. I get most of my games for around $30-$40 at release. Sometimes cheaper.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

Going out to a decent dinner is $100. $60 for a game just seems like not a big deal to me.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

People look forward to games for a long time and want to play them as soon as possible. But this has never been my approach, personally. I always have something to play and tend to take several months to even a year or two to get to a game I'm interested in. I like to make this hobby as inexpensive as I can. Though I can understand that people may value money differently. $60 might be worth a newly released game to them, and/or they may have the luxury of having more disposable income.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@omegamaster said:

To play it straight away instead of waiting. If it's a beloved game people have been dying for it, they'll pre-order or buy it day one. It's that simple, mate.

spot on mate why wait 2 years when you can play the game right away

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@tryit: What does that have to do with this thread?

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

There are games that worth the 60 dollars price (for me. for others is of course depends on the their style). If they look worth it, so I buy it on full price. If not, I wait for more reasonable price.

It is that simple. For Example, just recently came out the latest SAO game, which look cool, but still not worth the 60 dollars tag.

There is another reason, that for games with online play (like fighting games and shooter games) the online tends to be full with players on their weeks. Just look at FighterZ for example. Despite that over 2 million people bought it, now the playerbase cut in 80%. So that is anouther reason to get games on day 1 for some people.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
@jakesnakeel said:

Going out to a decent dinner is $100. $60 for a game just seems like not a big deal to me.

^ pretty much this. The cost just isn't a problem for me and I like to be able to play what I want when I want. I'm just not willing of waiting for a specific game to finally drop in price when I want to play it now.

Also I'm really into Collectors Editions and if you want them, you pretty much have to pre-order.

I can see bugs being an issue. But then again, if they bug me, I can decide for myself to wait. And sometimes I even get free games as an early adaptor because the dev feels guilty :P

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FanboyMcTroll

@SoNin360: That is exactly how I feel!!! I have bought brand new games for full price finished it in one weekend and than said "Wow $80 for a 10 hour game??"

pretty expensive hobby, so I buy 5-8 old games and so I always have something to play and I wait for the new releases to age before buying them. I usually finish 1 game a week, if I was doing that with brand new games, that would be a very expensive hobby.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 omegaMaster

@sukraj said:
@omegamaster said:

spot on mate why wait 2 years when you can play the game right away

Yup. Life is too short waiting for 2 years, buy it and do whatever with it :D

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omegaMaster

@jakesnakeel said:

Good point. It's pretty much how people spend their money. For me, spending on a car is a bigger deal than buying a brand new game.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Personally I only buy a game new or at release if it's something I desperately want to play. Last year I only bought two games at launch (Horizon Zero Dawn and Fifa 18

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FanboyMcTroll

@Chris_53: What did you think of Horizon Zero Dawn? I loved it!! Still have to play the Frozen Wilds

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

@fanboymctroll: It's a brilliant game, and Frozen Wilds is a great addition with beautiful environments and awesome new machines to fight

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I didn't think $60 for a game is bad at all. But if that's too high then you don't want to take any girls out on a date, especially if they like steak.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FanboyMcTroll

@pimphand_gamer: That's an excellent point, I just take them out for coffee, dinner is just too much money. lol

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@fanboymctroll: I buy both older SP games, and new MP games which are reliant on the bigger player base available when the game first comes out.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@vfighter: he's basically saying he technically every game he buys is new, as he only buys digital.

Although digital does work similar, value of games does drop with time, especially when sales happen.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FanboyMcTroll

@omegamaster: Life is too short? What are you dying of terminal cancer tomorrow? What's a couple years when you have your whole life ahead of you, Don't you have 60 more years of living?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

@omegamaster: Life is too short? What are you dying of terminal cancer tomorrow? What's a couple years when you have your whole life ahead of you, Don't you have 60 more years of living?

Don't you have 60 more dollars?

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I usually wait 2-3 months since my backlog is pretty good. I don't spend over 40$ for new games for the last few years. With great digital sales, its worth waiting.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FanboyMcTroll

@GTR12: No I don't have $60 more dollars, that is groceries for the week, man's gotta eat

Misty_Falls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Misty_Falls
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

If I badly want to play the game immediately then I'll buy it day one, like Persona 5 (since I've been wanting that game since I first finished Persona 4 in 2010). But I agree to your point in some degree. I just recently bought Destiny 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda for $10 each. lol Also some games still hold to their value by the way. Look at Nintendo games, a lot of them are still full priced even today.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

One of the few games I got day 1 was gears of war 3 for xbox 360 with season pass.

Was it expensive? yea!

was it worth it? oh yes it was!!

why? playing from day 1 with tons of people online and friends was so good and as dlc came out the game kept.getting better and better.

also buying day 1 will increase the chance of future quality dlc + sequel (worth it if you love the game)

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I wish that I was that patient, I pretty much always get the games I'm most excited for for full price. If I'm not sure about a game I wait for a price drop.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Depends on the game for me. I typically wait until I can get alot of games cheaper but their are always a few games that release every year I just know I will love and I can't wait to play it. This year will be bad.. I have 4 day ones and 10 "get em later" releases.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

I don't buy any new games, why would I want to pay $80 for a game that will be half price in a year or $10 in 2 years. I only buy games that are old, I get the game with all the DLC's included, with all the bugs ironed out and I get to enjoy the game for $10 instead of paying full price and being the game tester for game companies that release games too early full of bugs.

I don't understand why anyone would buy brand new games for full price? Why?? So you can finish it in a week and say I blew $80???

For me it really depends on the game.

In some cases, I'll pre-order a game or I'll buy it as soon as it comes out - this is rare, and usually only for certain specific franchises I follow (for example, I picked up the collector's edition of Breath of the Wild without question).

In other cases, I'll be interested in a game but not enough to buy it as soon as it first comes out. I'll still buy it "new"...but maybe a few months after it was first released.

Other times, I'll just pick up a few games I'm interested in and, frankly, they'll get added to my backlog. I still have a few brand new games sitting there which I haven't yet played, and which I might get around to at some stage. I bought them because I want to own them - again, it kind of depends on the franchise. :-)

Another factor is budget. If I had a very limited budget, I would rarely ever buy a game brand new on the day of release; in the past, I used to buy a lot of second-hand games, and for some other games I'd wait for sales and stuff. Luckily I don't need to worry about that these days, so I can largely buy what I want.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I struggle to pay release price's for a game unless I consider it a MUST PLAY for my self like far cry 5, Spider-Man, Halo to name a few but I only do it like 4 times a year. This year tho seems really good in gaming. I usually tried to find a cheap digital download or second hand on a FB buy swap and sell.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#37 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

I don't get why anyone would buy brand new games

Because games like Monster Hunter: World exists.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I believe in today's world there are so many copies available for one game so there is no need to preorder....unless you just wanna get some hard to acquire games like Breath of the Wild: Master Edition since there is absolutely no way that you can get your hands on that game after the preorder ended.

For some people streaming is their main revenue and to get these games early meant viewers will watch that channel.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Still cheaper than a girlfriend/wife.

Some people have great jobs and earn a lot of money. They can afford it.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

Some people just prefer to flock their money on the whole game instead of paying a smaller price because they feel that they went to some lengths to earn that game. Personally, I would go for games that are either second hand or have an offer on them, since I don't get them new anyway.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FanboyMcTroll

@gettingonwithgaminglife: YES GUY!! me neither, I don't want to be a game bug tester for these game developers that release games too early and then expect the players to report bugs for future patches, no thanks

I will buy it for $10 with all DLC's and patches in a year!!!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TryIt

how does one buy a 'used' Steam game exactly?

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: No clue, I only buy my games at Gamestop, I don't do digital downloads, I'm old fashioned in the sense I need to have a hard copy in my hand not buying stuff over the internet

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TryIt
@fanboymctroll said:

@tryit: No clue, I only buy my games at Gamestop, I don't do digital downloads, I'm old fashioned in the sense I need to have a hard copy in my hand not buying stuff over the internet

oh you are 1990s gamer.

sorry I cant help you there

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: 1985 gamer, Sierra Games ruled back then, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, those were awesome games

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TryIt

@fanboymctroll said:

@tryit: 1985 gamer, Sierra Games ruled back then, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, those were awesome games

I played all of those.

none of them are remotely as good as 7 days to die.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: I never played 7 days to die, what's it like? Resident Evil?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TryIt
@fanboymctroll said:

@tryit: I never played 7 days to die, what's it like? Resident Evil?

can you build bases that if designed poorly zombie horde will tear completely down?

then no

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: So it's a strategy game? Or like Dying Light, or The Last of Us