How to setup Media Server

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

To the person who's been nagging about trouble with media server... hope the info below helps.

OK, since bits of info get burried in a huge FW1.80 thread, I decided to make a new thread where I will update the first post regularly with new info.
So, short notes first.

DLNA is an industry standard for media (audio,video, photo) sharing within concept of a digital home and is supported by many hardware and software manufacturers. As of FW1.80, DLNA is supported by Playstation 3 entertainment system. PS3 takes a role of DLNA Player, not DLNA server, so it can play a content of any DLNA server (source) in you digital home, but can not stream the content to other server within DLNA protocols. (Remote connect to PSP is using proprietary protocols)

What it means is that you have to have a DLNA server installed, either hardware (like some HDD storages, DVRs or set-top boxes) or as a software on your PC.

The latter is most interesting for majority of us, since DLNA certified CE equipment is not that widespread yet.

Your options for the software naturally depends on your operating system. DLNA is an open protocol based on UPnP (Universal PnP) and therefore can work on any operating system. So far we found a reasonably good solution only for Windows OSes, so I'll start with it.

Windows

WMP11

If you are running Windows Vista you have a very simple way to enable the sharing through Windows Media Player 11. If you search in Media Sharing Tab you can spot a new uknown device you can share media to:

Allow sharing to it and go to your PS3. Now, after 1.80 the new icon appeared in Music/Video and Photo bars, called Search for Media Servers. Click it and if you are lucky :p, a Vista media server icon will appear just under it. Now you can click on it and navigate through you WMP11 library direct in XMB!

Moreover, hit triangle on your video file and you can copy it over to PS3 without hassle!

Sounds good, right? Its not that perfect however, since you will be only play video and music files that are supported by PS3, and in some cases not even all of them. And that limits you to MP2 and MP4 (which reported to not work at some cases), so no luck with AVIs.

The only solution here is transcoding, which is basically on-fly recoding of source video/audio to target video/audio. The best (and only correctly working so far) program for it is Nero MediaHome, which is a part of Nero Digital Pro package: http://www.nero.com/eng/Upgrade_to_Nero_Digital_Pro.html

Thanks to mingeeta@PS3forums we have a quick tutorial for setting it up.

Turn your PS3 on and login, and leave it on your XMB

Run a file in Nero Showtime to unblock the firewall that pops up and ALLOW.

Run Nero MediaHome

On the left are a set of Icons.

Heres a quick setup:

SHARED DIRECTORIES > Click ADD SHARE and browse to a single shared directory for now, as it takes time to add the details, so dont go adding gazillions of media files for now.

OPTIONS: I left them at default for now, but they are self explanatory. Automatically start media home when pc is switched on is a good one to tick up, but leave it off for now till you get it going.

NETWORK: Click the box for your ethernet card on your PC. Leave port number and network name at default for now

DEVICES: Click UPnP/1.0 line and click ALLOW ACCESS box

TRANSCODING: Leave on auto detect as it will talk to the ps3 and see what it can and cant play and come up with a solution after a few seconds.

TV: Set up your tv card here

STATUS: Click this ICON and you will be able to see whats going on

then click START SERVER at the bottom, and you wait a few moments. Go back to PS3 and it should show the Nero Media Home Icon. Browse as normal for your video files.

At first if you have loads of files in your shared directories it can casue the ps3 playback to come back out to the XMB. Just give Media Home some time to update the directory listings, then it will be silky smooth.

It was tested at a decent PC for SD avi files only so far, and they work fine. You might have issues if you have an old pc, as the trancoding can take up resources.

If you cant see any media on your PS3 after doing all this, try following:

Turn off the server and go to TOOLS - NERO SCOUT - INDEXING - FOLDERS and select the folders you want there. Then go back to the INDEXING tab and click INDEX NOW - this may take a while to do, if you have huge amounts of files, so as before just to get it working. When its done go to SHARED DIRECTORIES ICON in nero media home and select SHARE ALL CONTENT INDEXED BY NERO SCOUT

As it seems now it works quite fine for SD content, but stutters/fails at HD files, which is not surprising, giving the needed processor power for on-fly HD conversion.

For native HD MPEG2 files people are getting good streaming results with twonky vision media center http://www.twonkyvision.com/ but as of current it full of glitches when working with PS3, so I wouldnt recommend you to spend much time with it until they deliver a patch specifically for PS3. Same can be said about another popular DLNA streaming/transcoding solution TVersity http://tversity.com/.

There are also a bunch of freeware UPnP software that should allow streaming to PS3 as well, such as:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gmediaserver/
http://ushare.geexbox.org/
http://mediatomb.cc/
http://www.cybergarage.org/net/cmgate/cc/index.html

You can look at them if you have enough free time and some skills. Most of them can also be compiled to Mac or Linux, but I wouldnt try to do.

Speaking of other OSes, Mac users theoretically also have a number of options.

Mentioned above Twonky Vision Media Center has OsX version available, and you can give it a try.
Exclusive  to Mac systems is EyeConnect software http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect

both have 30days free trials, so its plenty of time to try. I dont have a Mac personally, so I cant check. But with EyeConnect users reporting that audio works pretty much perfect, including iTunes library, but video has more problem, though some users claims that MPEG and MPEG2 streaming do work, just no transcoding. Again, a necessary patch shouldnt be a way off, its just that with FW 1.80 Sony really caught everyone off guard.

Linux users normally advanced enough to know more about it than me, I will not elaborate here. Freeware programs posted about + twonky media server should be usable.

At the end, as a general note, most common mistakes so far:

1) firewall (either PC firewall or in router) blocking a media server program (thats when you can find a media server after search on your PS3)
2)you are looking for video files in Music tab of XMB.  Though sometimes they may be there, but its a bug. DLNA normally should take care that you see videos under video tab and pics under Photo. .)

WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WOWZORS
Member since 2004 • 484 Posts
How do i share it on WIndows XP using WMP11? Nothing shows up.
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sxs_alex

FOr windows XP try this link ... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/mp11/sharemedia.aspx

here's more resources on how to stream AVI to PS3:

PS3 AVI Transcoding On The Fly

If you've got a PC full of AVI's, just waiting for the right application to appear that will allow you to play them in all there glory on your living room TV, you're in luck. It appears that with the recent 1.80FW update and a copy of Nero Home or Nero V7.0 you to can now enjoy all your videos as of today.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some quick instructions:

Turn your PS3 on and login, and leave it on your XMB

Run a file in Nero Showtime to unblock the firewall that pops up and ALLOW.
Run Nero MediaHome
On the left are a set of Icons.

Heres a quick setup:

SHARED DIRECTORIES > Click ADD SHARE and browse to a single shared directory for now, as it takes time to add the details, so dont go adding gazillions of media files for now.

OPTIONS: I left them at default for now, but they are self explanatory. Automatically start media home when pc is switched on is a good one to tick up, but leave it off for now till you get it going.

NETWORK: Click the box for your ethernet card on your PC. Leave port number and network name at default for now

DEVICES: Click UPnP/1.0 line and click ALLOW ACCESS box

TRANSCODING: Leave on auto detect as it will talk to the ps3 and see what it can and cant play and come up with a solutionafter a few seconds.

TV: Set up your tv card here

STATUS: Click this ICON and you will be able to see whats going on

then click START SERVER at the bottom, and you wait a few moments. Go back to PS3 and it should show the Nero Media Home Icon. Browse as normal for your video files.

At first if you have loads of files in your shared directories it can casue the ps3 playback to come back out to the XMB. Just give Media Home some time to update the directory listings, then it will be silky smooth.

Ive tested this n a decent PC for SD avi files only so far, and they work fine. You might have issues if you have an old pc, as the trancoding can take up resources.

some tips:
Only add one or two files max into a folder, as nero can take a while to index large amounts of files. You can also turn off the server and go to TOOLS - NERO SCOUT - INDEXING - FOLDERS and select the folders you want there. Then go back to the INDEXING tab and click INDEX NOW - this may take a while to do, if you have huge mounts of files, so as before just to get it working. When its done go to SHARED DIRECTORIES ICON in nero media home and select SHARE ALL CONTENT INDEXED BY NERO SCOUT

WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WOWZORS
Nothing pops up in my box to share media, its just blank.
UOducks521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 UOducks521
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts

Nothing pops up in my box to share media, its just blank.WOWZORS

me too! 

supergod1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 supergod1
Member since 2004 • 327 Posts
OMG, thanks a lot u guys, works perfectly. Thank you for your clear and easy to understand guide, plus the screenshots were a great help. Once again, Thanks!
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
Ima have to try dat soon.
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

Wow man, thanks a lot!

I was wondering how i could get it to work and now i'm listening to some music.:D

This is an awesome feature. One more step towards perfection.

KoolEmpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KoolEmpty
Member since 2002 • 1081 Posts

Great Post!  Truly appreciate it.

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
Do you have to have your music in the Shared Music folder to work? I've got the PS3 recognizing my computer just fine, but it's only showing the one song that's in Shared Music by default, not any of the other songs I've got in my WMP library.
agarc90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 agarc90
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts
hey, when i went into windows media player, I went to share my media and all that and it said on my ps3 that 1 media server(?) was found. Then on windows media player, it listed one and i allowed it and then it showd up on the xmb, but it said that it didnt recognize my name or something like that so i went back to windows media player and i tried to rename it but i couldnt so i took it off the list and now it wont find it again... so what do i do?
agarc90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 agarc90

it appeared again and it says " Access to the media server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name for this PS3 system, "PS3-***, has not been registered. Check the settings for the media server.

I blocked out the number of my PS3...don't really know why but yea, it just has my numbers in it. So do I change the name of my PS3 or what? thanks and sorry for double post

WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WOWZORS
have nero but there is no devices thing on the left, like in your picture...
agarc90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 agarc90

have nero but there is no devices thing on the left, like in your picture...WOWZORS

are you talking to me?....cause i dont really understand what your saying....

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sxs_alex

have nero but there is no devices thing on the left, like in your picture...WOWZORS

WOrks on Nero 7. Open Nero MediaHome and NOT nero home. THere's two different program. :)

WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WOWZORS
Im really not retarded, its not there. I just cant figure out why my PC doesnt see PS3 and no programs do aswell. Pic: http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1340/nerosmallcj5.jpg Edit: I can play games and everything online fine, I just cant figure out why my ps3 wont connect to my pc. I use the PSN Network all the time, and RFOM online works flawlessly, I even use the web browser,
Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts

it appeared again and it says " Access to the media server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name for this PS3 system, "PS3-***, has not been registered. Check the settings for the media server.

I blocked out the number of my PS3...don't really know why but yea, it just has my numbers in it. So do I change the name of my PS3 or what? thanks and sorry for double post

agarc90

i got that error as well. not sure what to do.

Zeldas_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeldas_Daddy
Member since 2006 • 124 Posts
[QUOTE="agarc90"]

Col_Swamp

I had that problem then I restarted the PS3 and it worked 

Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Col_Swamp
[QUOTE="Col_Swamp"][QUOTE="agarc90"]

Zeldas_Daddy

I had that problem then I restarted the PS3 and it worked 

yep, that did it. thx!

Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Col_Swamp

Do you have to have your music in the Shared Music folder to work? I've got the PS3 recognizing my computer just fine, but it's only showing the one song that's in Shared Music by default, not any of the other songs I've got in my WMP library.Abby88

same

dishere2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dishere2004
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
all my songs are in itunes :( is there anyway i can share them to my ps3 since ipod is no longer operational
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

noting this thread for my history

slikonebtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slikonebtz
Member since 2005 • 1082 Posts
its based on upnp? my ps3 says upnp not available and my pc doesnt see the ps3, im guessing thats why
doolies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 doolies
Member since 2003 • 3984 Posts

This thread needs to be stickied.

Also for my posting history so I can come back to it. 

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sxs_alex

Im really not retarded, its not there. I just cant figure out why my PC doesnt see PS3 and no programs do aswell. Pic: http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1340/nerosmallcj5.jpg Edit: I can play games and everything online fine, I just cant figure out why my ps3 wont connect to my pc. I use the PSN Network all the time, and RFOM online works flawlessly, I even use the web browser,WOWZORS

looks like the one you're using is an older version. maybe you want to try updating your nero mediahome to 2.xxx

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sxs_alex

agarc90

i never use the "search for media servers" because that option never works for me. if you're going to give it a name .. name it PS3. don't add a - or other characters to it. I'm able to stream MPG, mp3, and WMA from WMP 11 to the PS3. works really nice. all i did was i booted up my ps3 to the XMB menu. Opened WMP 11 from the PC. Click library button > more options > click library tab > monitor folders > add > select folder contain the media files > click ok > configure sharing > the PS3 or Unknown device should be listed here. If the allow button is grayed out that means that it's already enabled. If there are other devices listed make sure you Deny them. Click ok and ok again. CLick Library button > apply media information changes. Wait for a bit and the icon should appear on the XMB menu of the PS3.

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sxs_alex

all my songs are in itunes :( is there anyway i can share them to my ps3 since ipod is no longer operationaldishere2004

no . if you have all the mp3 files stored in a folder.... just use Windows Media Player 11 to stream them to the PS3. mine works like a charm.

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sxs_alex

Do you have to have your music in the Shared Music folder to work? I've got the PS3 recognizing my computer just fine, but it's only showing the one song that's in Shared Music by default, not any of the other songs I've got in my WMP library.Abby88

no music do not have to be in the SHared folder. You can have them stored in any folder on your C: drive. THe only change you need to make is by clicking library > more options > monitor folders > add the folder to the list. save your settings.

brainscientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 brainscientist
Member since 2006 • 987 Posts

agarc90

Mine did the same thing so I restarted my pc and my ps3 and it worked fine. 

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
Nero 7 works flawless..If you can, get that. WMP11 was givving me a lot more problems. Now all my media works especially since Nero 7 will change any media  file my ps3 cant read to something that it can.
n0z3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 n0z3
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts
FYI:  I use a Linksys G router and my PS3 signs out of PSN when it scans for the media server, which prevents it from finding anything on my network.  I believe other people with a similar Linksys router have had the same problem.  Looks like we'll have to wait for a Sony patch.
Wlodar10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wlodar10
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts
I have some problems too. My ps3 detected my pc but when I try to connect to it it says "access to the media server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name fot this PS3 system has not been registered".
I use WMP11. When I go to Configure Sharing it doesn't see any Unknown Device or PS3, it just says Terrisa-PC and that's what it says on my PS3 too. I enable sharing on it but I still can't access it. Any ideas what else should I do?
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

TC great post.

I suggest stickying it.

PS: Anyone succeded using TVesity, not with the browser interface, but with the DLNA?

It's free and says it works with any DLNA device.

azuroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 azuroc
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts
Any DLNA software available for Mac OSX?
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Miguel16
^ i believe ORB works with Mac OSX
gillster316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 gillster316
Member since 2004 • 253 Posts
hey when i connected to the server it wouldnt let me copy the music because the format was in PCM but but when i downloaded it off limewire it was in mp3 format  can anyone help?
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Miguel16
what media server are you using?
T-Zone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 T-Zone
Member since 2003 • 4525 Posts

CAN I GET SOME ASSISTANCE?

This is what I got : Windows XP, Windows Media Player 11, LinkSys BEFSR41 Router, and of course my Ps3 with high speed cablenet.

Now my real question is regarding the ethernet wire connection...Wher do I plug it in so that my PC will recognize my Ps3?

I've followed all steps so far, but what really stops me, is that my PC doesnt detect it on my network. SO, technically, my dialog box is blank, no "unknown" or "Ps3."

Can anyone help me?

bsin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bsin94
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
Using Nero is awesome, but the videos are choppy, is there an easy remedy to this problem?
gillster316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 gillster316
Member since 2004 • 253 Posts

what media server are you using?Miguel16

im using wmp 

aero4444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 aero4444
Member since 2005 • 2047 Posts
can u play divx files like this?
deepsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deepsme
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

how do i change my default media sharing folders on vista?

KoRn_Eddy_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KoRn_Eddy_88
Member since 2005 • 1619 Posts
Any idea how to do this with a mac? i looked up the Orb program that someone suggested on page 4, but its PC only. Thanks Guys/Gals
Livebythesword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Livebythesword
Member since 2003 • 714 Posts
This works great I used the nero transcoding server for XP! this is an amazing post sticky plzzz! good work TC!
honkinese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 honkinese
Member since 2003 • 39 Posts

hey need help

ive followed all the steps in using nero media home but i have one icon missing

its the devices tab

not to sure if its a problem coz my ps3 detects nero media home but nothing can be accessed

any help will be good

ctmab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ctmab
Member since 2005 • 1268 Posts
I don't have the Unkown Device in WMP 11. Maybe its becuase my ps3 doesn't see that my router has UPnP, but my router says its on. :/ Any help?
cronus233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cronus233
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

I have windows media player 11 and my OS is windowsXP.When i go to media sharing and click on "share my media" all I get is  not responding.

rdodell11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rdodell11
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
im tryin to watch a movie on my ps3, i dont have an internet connection to it just hookd up straight to my tv, but when i put the movie in nothin happens, it just say search for media server under everythin
mulch06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mulch06
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hey there, this is my first post here. I've read through the entire thread and, while the very first post described my situation exactly, I haven't found any help yet. My situation:

Just bought a new HP laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate as well as a Netgear WNR834Bv2 wireless-N router. My PS3 is set up with uPNP on and NAT type 2. Through the new router I am able to connect my old laptop (Compaq running Windows XP) to my PS3 and stream audio (never got video to work). But I can't get ANYWHERE with my new laptop.

I have turned off the firewall, shared out my music folder, and added my music folder to my WMP11 folder. I can even see my old laptop in my Vista WMP11 library. But my PS3 can't see my Vista and my Vista can't see my PS3.

When I open my Media Sharing tab, it lists no devices at all. What's going on???

Everyone keeps talkign about Nero Media Center and XMB--I don't have either. Someone please help! :cry:

omegaskeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 omegaskeleton
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
hey guys,this thread is prob a bit old now but i too an having the same error message"Access to the media server is not allowed blah blah blah"Ive followed everyones tips on this thread but to no prevail.Im trying to run it through WMP11 and have clicked the tab library,media sharing then allowed th unknown device which is the ps3.I was lead to believe that there should then be a bubble on the task bar asking if you want to allow it to share or not but im not getting this.All media is set to share and i have restarted both my ps3 and lap top and also denyed then allowed the device but still i get the message on my ps3.I have had another ps3 that connected no problem with another lap top but for some reason this one wont.Any advice?Im not the most knowledgable person to touch a pc but i know enough to get about.