How terrified were you playing Dead Space

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

I was thinking about getting this game which brought up a question. How terrified were people by playing this game. I read in a a recent yet not to recent gameinformer (the one with Dead Space 2 on it). It said that the people who made the frist game actually got complatins on how the game was to scary. People said they could only play for an half an hour to an hour a day. So I wanted to see what you said about how scary it really is.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
It think it is really messed up and freaky lol
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

From a scale of 0 to 10, I would give it a -5. There is nothing scary about the game at all. :?

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts

On a scale out of 1 to 10. I would give it a 1, It wasn't scary at all just a few jumpy moments but the game was still good.

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

To me, it wasnt so really 'terrifying" but i would definetely say it is very creepy. Some things make a big difference to make it scary or not scary. I have played the game completely alone in the room (empty house) and also in a room with friends watching. Playing with others around makes it much less scary. Also, sound makes a huge difference. Loud is better for the scares of course but I played with some high quality 5.1 surround sound headphones and it was pretty creepy.That makes a big difference then playing with the volume low on crap tv speakers. I think the sound is the #1 scary thing in the game....just my opinion.

mrgio69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrgio69
Member since 2005 • 573 Posts

I just bought it the other day and I can say that game is genuinely scary. You can tell the developers really put love into the game.

mrgio69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrgio69
Member since 2005 • 573 Posts

I agree with you about the sound design, It has some of the best design I've seen in awhile. IMO

To me, it wasnt so really 'terrifying" but i would definetely say it is very creepy. Some things make a big difference to make it scary or not scary. I have played the game completely alone in the room (empty house) and also in a room with friends watching. Playing with others around makes it much less scary. Also, sound makes a huge difference. Loud is better for the scares of course but I played with some high quality 5.1 surround sound headphones and it was pretty creepy.That makes a big difference then playing with the volume low on crap tv speakers. I think the sound is the #1 scary thing in the game....just my opinion.

mkaliaz

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It wasn't scary scary, but there was a few times where I did jump. Disturbing would be a better word to describe Dead Space...

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I agree with you about the sound design, It has some of the best design I've seen in awhile. IMO[QUOTE="mkaliaz"]

mrgio69

Yeah...the sound played a MAJOR role...I have my PS3 hooked-up to a very good sound system...it REALLY intensified my experience!!!:|

gashead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gashead101
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts

It isnt really scary, it just makes you jump even when you are expecting what happens next. It's intense as you have to be aware of what is going on or else you will die. Also as post above said, the sound plays a huge part in the jumpy parts.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I played the demo. I like to immerse myself in the games that I play. This? Not a single thing. You were fighting monsters in a space station with a power outage. Needless to say, "I wasn't sold". Even seeing those free animated comics beforehand, I was expecting something better.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It created a great, tension-filled atmosphere that kept me on the edge of my seat - moreso than almost any horror movie I've ever seen except maybe Alien. But as far as "scary" goes, I don't get scared by things on my TV screen.

Halcalix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Halcalix
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts

From reading the other comments, im actually lol'ing at myself cause I stopped playing the game when I got to chapter 9as it scared the hell out of me.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I don't understand how people thought it was scary. I also don't understand how people can classify it as "survival horror" when it's much more like a "horror-themed third person shooter". I really liked the game but as far as being it scary, it just wasn't. For a game to scare me, I have to feel vulnerable which is pretty hard when you're in that badass suit that makes you feel nearly invincible (especially when you fully upgrade it) and you have sci-fi plasma rifles, laser weapons and big ass saw blades. I felt like I could kill anything and it's not like ammo is scarce, in fact it's quite plentiful if you're a decent shot.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I don't understand how people thought it was scary. I also don't understand how people can classify it as "survival horror" when it's much more like a "horror-themed third person shooter". I really liked the game but as far as being it scary, it just wasn't. For a game to scare me, I have to feel vulnerable which is pretty hard when you're in that badass suit that makes you feel nearly invincible (especially when you fully upgrade it) and you have sci-fi plasma rifles, laser weapons and big ass saw blades. I felt like I could kill anything and it's not like ammo is scarce, in fact it's quite plentiful if you're a decent shot. anime_gamer007

I think RE4 and 5 take it a little too far. I mean, you should have some degree of ammo especially with enemies that take multiple shots to the head just to bring'em down, coming on hoards.

That isn't scary or "survival", that is just flat out frustrating and annoying.

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

Great game if you scare or not. I was scared a few times, but more importantly I was more scared anticipating the scare. Sometimes it came, and sometimes it did not. I spent playing the whole game tensed up.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

Never played the game but I will assume it is scary because my friend has played it and said it is scary! I also heard Condemn or Condemned is scary too!

MisterEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MisterEditor
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts
It was pretty creepy...Nothing on System Shock 2 though.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
It is very scary and atmospheric. Fantastic game on top of that too, you should play it. :)
EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts
I stopped playing in the middle of the demo. Those things scared me :(
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I played the demo. I like to immerse myself in the games that I play. This? Not a single thing. You were fighting monsters in a space station with a power outage. Needless to say, "I wasn't sold". Even seeing those free animated comics beforehand, I was expecting something better.

Denji
You shouldnt base it off the demo. Dead Spaces demo is really suppose to appeal to casuals. Its all action and Dead Space, the full game is not. If anything besides Demons Souls and MGS4 this is the most Ive been immersed in a game. Anyways trying to be immeresed in a demo... hahaha
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Gotta agree with these folks. Nothing that scary about it apart from a few jumpy moment here and there.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

Honestly, the only games that have ever scared me are the first two Silent Hills and the Fatal Frame series. Dead Space was kind of "meh" as far as scares go. It's a great game though.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Honestly, the only games that have ever scared me are the first two Silent Hills and the Fatal Frame series. Dead Space was kind of "meh" as far as scares go. It's a great game though.

hxczuner

Fatal Frame is the definition of scary games or at least when I played them a long time ago.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
It was fun and all but never have been scared by a video game ever, and haven't been scared by a movie since I was 12. I wish I could still get scared but too many real life problems and events that scare me more then entertainment choices. Over population, pollution, war, nuclear weapons, and so on.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

[QUOTE="hxczuner"]

ExoticAnimal

Fatal Frame is the definition of scary games or at least when I played them a long time ago.

A lot of what scared me about games back in the 90's isn't really scary now. Like, I just started playing the first Silent Hill again, and it's really not as bad as it used to be. It's just ****ed up :lol:

Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

mkaliaz
i agree COMPLETELY that is exactly how i feel on the game
Avatar image for XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX
XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 XxF1N4L-ST4NDxX
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

Good game and made me jump a few times nearer the beginning but as you progress you can sort of predict when its going to happen and its not that scary at all

8)

VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts

I was thinking about getting this game which brought up a question. How terrified were people by playing this game. I read in a a recent yet not to recent gameinformer (the one with Dead Space 2 on it). It said that the people who made the frist game actually got complatins on how the game was to scary. People said they could only play for an half an hour to an hour a day. So I wanted to see what you said about how scary it really is.

Brawler-Dude

Well as someone who goes to movies like The Hills Have Eyes(or anything supposedly scary/gross/extreme) and laughs out loud while other people cringe I have to say I don't think anything is scary really.

BUT

I just finished Dead Space yesterday. It has a tense filled creepy atmosphere that is amplified by the music, sound and lighting of the game. Plenty of dark rooms and poorly lit areas add to your sense of "fear". I had my brightness up pretty good and still had trouble even seeing what was attacking me sometimes. At any moment anything can happen. You don't know what's around the next corner and you don't know what's behind you. You can just all of a sudden find yourself in a struggle with a monster or two that you didn't even know were there. It keeps you on the egde of your seat, not out fo fear, but out of wanting to be ready for whatever the hell is coming up. Plenty of tiimes I was like "Oh you ****ing game!!!!!!", or "Wow I'm gonna go have a smoke and think about WTF just happened.". It's a fun fun game and I recommend getting it.

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

I did what was suggested and played Dead Space all alone after midnight with all the lights off and aside from a jump or two nothing phased me. However, if you sit me down in front of a scary movie I'm terrified (even if I don't always show it). I say it's not very scary at all.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

The beginning of this game made me jump and i fell on the arm of my chair and broke it,yes Dead space made me break the arm of my chair.Is it scary?,that depends on what you define as scary.Personally i would call it creepy and disturbing.

Someone above saying there was too much ammo,if they reduced it all to give the scary feel,it would become too hard and hence frustrate some people.

Also did anyone know that those monsters could actually stealth you cause i can remember on several occassions where i never realized something was behind me untill it grabbed me,such feel

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

I was scared twice the entire game. Still a great game though.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

this game is one of my top 20 of all time. The first time i played it, ill never forget it. Sooo creepy and intense...

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Also did anyone know that those monsters could actually stealth you cause i can remember on several occassions where i never realized something was behind me untill it grabbed me,such feel

megaspiderweb09

Yes! Some of the biggest jumps I got in the game was when I backed myself away from an attacking horde of enemies just to jump when this enemy came from no where right behind me. I believe they use the vents in the walls (Aliens style, which is awesome).

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
One or two cheap jumps but that's it.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

If you want scary go play Fatal frame Crimson butterfly :P

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]I don't understand how people thought it was scary. I also don't understand how people can classify it as "survival horror" when it's much more like a "horror-themed third person shooter". I really liked the game but as far as being it scary, it just wasn't. For a game to scare me, I have to feel vulnerable which is pretty hard when you're in that badass suit that makes you feel nearly invincible (especially when you fully upgrade it) and you have sci-fi plasma rifles, laser weapons and big ass saw blades. I felt like I could kill anything and it's not like ammo is scarce, in fact it's quite plentiful if you're a decent shot. Denji

I think RE4 and 5 take it a little too far. I mean, you should have some degree of ammo especially with enemies that take multiple shots to the head just to bring'em down, coming on hoards.

That isn't scary or "survival", that is just flat out frustrating and annoying.

You can find a lot more ammo in RE5 then in RE4. However, on topic, Dead Space was more creepy than scary, although that's not to say it wasn't scary. I will say that on my first play through, I NEVER EVER stopped moving. I just never felt "safe."
gangstarapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gangstarapper
Member since 2003 • 105 Posts

Only true survival/horror out there this gen, don't like the road RE took

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

It had the atmosphere, but it still wasn't scary. They should make a new Fatal Frame(or remake Crimson Butterfly)

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

I remember one time i was at a save point n just finished saving the game and immediately i came outa save mode,i saw tentacles behind me.I was like WTF!!! even a save point isnt safe lol

mkaliaz

Yes! Some of the biggest jumps I got in the game was when I backed myself away from an attacking horde of enemies just to jump when this enemy came from no where right behind me. I believe they use the vents in the walls (Aliens style, which is awesome).

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I'm playing through Dead Space right now, and the parts where I get swarmed by necromorphs are really tense. The game tries to substitute fear with startling moments, and for that I kind of dislike it.

fifamessi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fifamessi
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
..nothing is even scary about it.. monsters with sharp arms and 8 legs?? yawn. Silent hill, resident evil etc were great at being scary though
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Brawler-Dude

Ok what is this demo everyones talking about. I looked and found no demo of it

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Brawler-Dude
Dead Space: Dismemberment Demo. Its on the store.
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Brawler-Dude

[QUOTE="Brawler-Dude"]

Ultrabeatdown55

Dead Space: Dismemberment Demo. Its on the store.

Yeah but I looked. I want to all demos, and went to A-D or whatever and it wasn't there

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#46 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

From a scale of 0 to 10, I would give it a -5. There is nothing scary about the game at all. :?

ExoticAnimal
100% complete lie ^^
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts
There were a few parts that made me jump at the beginning of the game, but that's it. Even though I didn't think it was too scary I thought it was really fun.
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

I thought it was really terrifying for around the first half of the game. I was too scared to walk into the next room. But then the scares wore off... It was still fun to play through, though. You have to get into the mood of getting scared if you want to get scared, which means you can't just run around everywhere. You have to savor it, I suppose

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I found it scary at the start but as you play through you can see when the set pieces are coming, for me I finished it just using the default weapon (for the trophy) so I ran out of ammo a lot of times, which made moving forward pretty freaky. Great game, can't wait for the 2nd

darkslayer001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkslayer001
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts

it was pretty scary playing at 1 in the morning but i slept fine...