How good is FF XIII?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

So i bought the game today (well i didnt open it yet because you cant return open games just because they have a dumb return policy so im posting to get a 2nd opinion on the game) because mainly it was a spur in the moment thing and i always wanted to play a FF game besides Dissidia. I was just woundering how good is this game exactly? Ive heard good things about it but i wanted to hear from you guys. I understand that FF games are turn based and this will actually be my first turn based game on a console. (pokemon is the only turn based game ive ever played). Also is there any other game i need to play so i can understand this one?

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 killblade37

oh and i also got that 012 dissidia game lol any way to play it online through the ps3? I heard there was a way but im not exactly sure how to do it

Avatar image for ThePhenomenaIHP
ThePhenomenaIHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ThePhenomenaIHP
Member since 2011 • 276 Posts

A lot of people bash it in these forums, but personally I liked it. It was nothing like the classics but it was fun.

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killblade37

Is it because it plays diffrently then how the older games played? If thats the case i guess im good cuz i got nothing to compare it to lol

Metaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Metaw
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts

People usually complain about the story, characters, linearity, lack of cities, leveling system, equipment upgrades, things to do. I personally liked it very much, one of my all time favorite games. So you see, there's really nobody that can tell you if you will like it or not, it all depends on your brain, how it works with this particular game.

Btw I played and finished FF7-10, but this doesn't mean anything, I liked them all in their own way.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

People usually complain about the story, characters, linearity, lack of cities, leveling system, equipment upgrades, things to do. I personally liked it very much, one of my all time favorite games. So you see, there's really nobody that can tell you if you will like it or not, it all depends on your brain, how it works with this particular game.

Btw I played and finished FF7-10, but this doesn't mean anything, I liked them all in their own way.

Metaw

the bolded parts were the issues i had with the game. i also didn't like the battle system, voice acting and the fact that the story isn't told through cutscenes but encyclopedic data logs. if you want to know whats actually going on you're in for a lot of reading.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

though not as great as some of its predecessors, FFXIII is still very good. the highlight of the game is the innovative class system known as paradigm, which successfully combines the kind of face-paced thrill found in action games with the strategic depth of the franchise's time-honored turn-based gameplay. as a whole, the game showcases the positive result of Square Enix's experiments with the franchise since FFXI. on top of that, FFXIII is also a technical marvel, boasting some of the best HD graphic you'll find on the platform. overall i think it's a worthy sequal of one of the most prestigious gaming franchises, and in your case, it'll be even better as you won't be blinded by nostalgia and bias - which is really what most of the FFXIII-bashing around here is all about.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
as a game, it is very good, and worth a play. As a final fantasy game it is an abortion, a horrific messy one that will leave you feeling sick, weak and broken for having faith that SE wouldnt break a perfectly good mould.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

[QUOTE="Metaw"]

z4twenny

the bolded parts were the issues i had with the game. i also didn't like the battle system, voice acting and the fact that the story isn't told through cutscenes but encyclopedic data logs. if you want to know whats actually going on you're in for a lot of reading.

Basically this. Didn't like that game at all except for the graphics and physics engine. Everything else... blegh.

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

I thought the game was enjoyable. I played through the whole entire thing and was entertained the whole time. It isnt the best game but if you are a fan of jrpgs then you know that they have been lacking this gen so it was just nice to play a decent jrpg and i recomend at least trying it out for yourself

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

All around the game just was not very good. The story was crap, the gameplay was pretty boring and it was rediculously linear. The story alone was enough to make me hate the game. I would take it back personally, you're much better off getting a different game.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

The game is amazing. I was never bored the whole time I was playing it.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I loved it. Just wish it had been harder so the best parts of the battle system could get more face time. Too much of the game affords the player the choice of just auto battle spamming for the win.

In the harder parts of the game the paradigm system really shines. At it's best it is as good or better than anything else in the franchise. The fact that the story and some of the characters were barely average really means nothing to me when the game is just so much damn fun to play.

People complain about the story which i can sort of agree with. People complain about the characters which i sort of agree with. People complain about the linear nature of the game which i definitely agree with. I just can't agree with people trashing the combat.

The harder parts of FFXIII are some of the most fun things i have done this gen based almost entirely on how fun, dynamic and rewarding the battle system is.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It's okay at best, an slightly below average JRPG unless all you want is good graphics ... There are a lot of better JRPGs out there that deserve your attention much more

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Let me put it this way - I had been playing it for 15 hours and my daughter decided she wanted to give it a try. I told her what to do and after about 2 minutes, she had mastered it. What she was doing was indistinguishable from what I had been doing. After 15 hours of practice.

Because gameplay is so ludicrously easy and almost fully computer controlled.

Hammerhead72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hammerhead72
Member since 2011 • 224 Posts

I personally enjoyed it alot but alas, everyone is entitled to their opinion!

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

Let me put it this way - I had been playing it for 15 hours and my daughter decided she wanted to give it a try. I told her what to do and after about 2 minutes, she had mastered it. What she was doing was indistinguishable from what I had been doing. After 15 hours of practice.

Because gameplay is so ludicrously easy and almost fully computer controlled.

Jackc8

how old is your daughter?

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Wondering the same
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

let me put it this way

i want the 67 hours i put into that game back

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

I loved it, it's my 3rd favorite PS3 game so far. The gameplay is great and the collectables and side missions were good as well. I put 85 hours into my first playthrough and I'm doing my 2nd while I take my summer courses. The story wasn't that great though, and many people complained about linearity which I love so I can't judge for sure.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

My favorite PS3 game.

Best graphics and battle system of the franchise.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
as a ff game its not as good for the name.....for an RPG its a good game....but very linear
killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 killblade37

ok so im playing the game now and im being as un biased as possible...I find myself looking forward to the cutscenes more then the actually gameplay so i have SOME sense about what is going on. Since it started ive just been asking myself wh or what is nora? Why is soldire attacking the citizens? what is this file c? or will any of these questions get answered? oh and what are with the people wearing the weird robes? 0_0

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

ok so im playing the game now and im being as un biased as possible...I find myself looking forward to the cutscenes more then the actually gameplay so i have SOME sense about what is going on. Since it started ive just been asking myself wh or what is nora? Why is soldire attacking the citizens? what is this file c? or will any of these questions get answered? oh and what are with the people wearing the weird robes? 0_0

killblade37

The ingame encyclopedia will tell you the story and everything about the world, the cutscenes themself are pretty much "OMG we reached point A so we have to go to point B"

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

I hated it but I liked XII so i wasn't expecting to like it. The linearity was too much of a problem and the voice acting.

ProjectDecade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ProjectDecade
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I can see what you mean by linearity but the voice acting was AMAZING in both languages. Admittedly, Vanille and Hope sound better in Japanese, but I actually liked Lightning and Fang's voice better in English, ans Sazh's. ---- The linearity for me wasn't a HUGE problem because I'm not exactly an "FF veteran" (aka, people who want SE to change their games to how they were in their square soft days) But I HAVE played every game from VII on wards, and I can honestly say that you shouldn't have a problem with this game IF you play it without expecting it to be a clone of FFVII.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

its a quality game i really enjoyed it. ive played ff10-ff13. id say out of the 3games(10, 12, 13)its my least favourite, but still a really great game, lots of storywhich i liked. and the game is probably one of the best looking games on ps3, the scenery and all that is just gorgeous.

l-laxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 l-laxor
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="Metaw"]

DrRockso87

Basically this. Didn't like that game at all except for the graphics and physics engine. Everything else... blegh.

Same here.

Fun and informative review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTfEDcj164

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII. It's not as good as my two favorites (Final Fantasy III and VII), but it was a great experience from start to finish. Great graphics, soundtrack,characters, story, and gameplay.I just wish there was a bit more freedom to explore and towns to visit. The battle system took some getting used to, but once I was comfortable with it I found it quite nice. Looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII.:)

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#30 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i really enjoyed ffxiii, i didnt think it was the best ff game but its up there i think. definately worth a play through.

oxidator_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 oxidator_o
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
============================================================================================================================ The average ffXIII map
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I think it is a good game. It does get a lot of hate, but there are lots of people who like it, I like it as well! I personally think you should try it. Just because many people hate it does not mean you will too.

monker490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 monker490
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

============================================================================================================================ The average ffXIII mapoxidator_o

That's mean. Its not THAT linear.

Players can't take multiple paths but its still pretty spread out.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

It really didn't fulfill my expectations of a FF game. It seems like the franchise took a step back with this game.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

"..." that's how good it is, I don't need words to explain the feeling I get when Hope throws that saucy boomerang everywhere =.=

Random-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Random-Target
Member since 2011 • 178 Posts

Play it, but keep in mind that this Final Fantasy is very different from the rest. People don't like it but in my opinion it's really original. It adds things to gaming that you won't see on any other RPG, and I like it for that.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts
I get bored easily so I stopped playing about 2 hours in. Damn FPSes have made me too impatient...
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. Sure its different from the other FF games but its still great. Definetly one of my favorite FF games along side FFVII and X.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

If you're a Final Fantasy fan you'll enjoy it. It it's your first in the series you'll probably be let down.

I thought it was great, but nowhere near as good as previous ones.

Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

If you're a Final Fantasy fan you'll enjoy it. It it's your first in the series you'll probably be let down.

ImaPirate0202
Not true...I'm a FF fan and I hated it just like alot of other people, especially in Japan. My fav FF games are FF10, FF8, FF12 and FFT.
Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

[QUOTE="killblade37"]

ArchoNils2

The ingame encyclopedia will tell you the story and everything about the world, the cutscenes themself are pretty much "OMG we reached point A so we have to go to point B"

Yeah the storytelling sucks so you'll need to read alot to understand what the hell is going on.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

Moon__Light

Not true...I'm a FF fan and I hated it just like alot of other people, especially in Japan. My fav FF games are FF10, FF8, FF12 and FFT.

Considering it has an average 8.4 user score here I'd say my comment was fairly accurate.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 00Killaz00

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

Moon__Light

I thought FF10 was terrible.... 8 and 12 were good though. FF10 was just as linear as FFXIII, even more so. The combat was ok, but it sucks that you can't pick a team, because for long stretches (example) I wouldn't use Wakka, and then when it was his time he was weak... and so forth. The puzzles were annoying, some of my favourite songs are in FF10's OST but otherwise it's kinda bland. The bosses were much too hard, probably the hardest game I've ever played, even though I only died once. Most of the characters were bland, and the story was completely uninteresting... but I did enjoy the blossoming love between Tidus and Yuna.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

It had some flashy graphics....but everything else was pretty bad. The dialogue alone made me want to bash my head against the wall.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 00Killaz00

It had some flashy graphics....but everything else was pretty bad. The dialogue alone made me want to bash my head against the wall.

J-Man725

I thought Hope was wonderfully voice acted, and had some good dialogue (until he turns into Mr.Motivational @ the end). Same with Fang... the rest are up to opinion.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
I think I'm about half way through it right now(Chapter7) and I am enjoying it a lot. It is EXTREMELY linear. The entire game is basically one long line. There is nothing to do but progress the main story(No side quests and such. At least not that I have seen.) I don't have a problem with the characters. The game is gorgeous, the Combat system is fantastic, and the art design is some of the best in the industry. Overall, a very solid game. Certainly not the best RPG you will play. But worth playing.
Avatar image for ThePhenomenaIHP
ThePhenomenaIHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ThePhenomenaIHP
Member since 2011 • 276 Posts

I think I'm about half way through it right now(Chapter7) and I am enjoying it a lot. It is EXTREMELY linear. The entire game is basically one long line. There is nothing to do but progress the main story(No side quests and such. At least not that I have seen.) I don't have a problem with the characters. The game is gorgeous, the Combat system is fantastic, and the art design is some of the best in the industry. Overall, a very solid game. Certainly not the best RPG you will play. But worth playing.ACx7

After chapter 11, it becomes kinda more open-world(still nothing like the FF we're used to). But at least you're gonna be introduced to the biggest area in the game and you're gonna be given some side-quests to do. This was a bit of a change from the loooong corridors you pretty much had to deal with in the first chapters.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 00Killaz00

[QUOTE="ACx7"]I think I'm about half way through it right now(Chapter7) and I am enjoying it a lot. It is EXTREMELY linear. The entire game is basically one long line. There is nothing to do but progress the main story(No side quests and such. At least not that I have seen.) I don't have a problem with the characters. The game is gorgeous, the Combat system is fantastic, and the art design is some of the best in the industry. Overall, a very solid game. Certainly not the best RPG you will play. But worth playing.ThePhenomenaIHP

After chapter 11, it becomes kinda more open-world(still nothing like the FF we're used to). But at least you're gonna be introduced to the biggest area in the game and you're gonna be given some side-quests to do. This was a bit of a change from the loooong corridors you pretty much had to deal with in the first chapters.

Kinda...? It took me one hour just to walk from the furthest reaches of Chapter 11 to the other side... (for Mission 64) lol.

FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

It was enjoyable, nowhere near as cool as the previous installments. But nonetheless for the price you got it for, its probably worth it. It could have been much better though

AshleyTaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AshleyTaios
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

As a person who has played a few of the FF games, and all of which i have played have blown me away. The storys, the characters etc..

As much as i hate to admit it, i was dissapointed with FF 13.