Has anyone regretted getting or not getting PS4 Pro?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I'm torn on what to get for my first PS4. I have a PC, so I'm specifically after the exclusives, especially those that are upcoming.

Slim being $250 and Pro being $400, and general advice is situational answer. When I asked myself, would I regret getting Slim, I assume I eventually would, but would I regret getting PS4 Pro, only the cost would have any impact on me. I don't have 4K in the room the PS4 is going in, but I eventually plan to get one, for now I have a big 1080 screen and a 1440 monitor. I do want the best experience so know Pro is the route, I just fear I'll regret the Slim, even if super cheap price with a game.

Has anyone regretted their PS4 choice? Like original PS4 people do you regret not upgrading or getting Slim/Pro, or Slim people regret not getting Pro, or Pro people regretting they didn't get Slim?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@saltslasher: I feel sorry for the PS4S people, it looks like a turd. The PS4P I feel ashamed for, its fat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@GTR12: So you're saying you have no regrets never upgrading? Seems like everyone believes no point in upgrading from the original.

I read that Pro does better at streaming and remote play, but I thought it was just something they assumed, but I read the original PS4 doesn't have WiFi AC. I heavily invested in a Nighthawk router to get the AC and I plan to use the streaming to my laptop and remote play to a Vita. Although I do have a splitter the PS4 can access, so I'm guessing the faster wifi only helps with remote play.

Even though I could buy a new or used PS4 original, seems like a choice I'd regret. The looks aren't a big deal to me cause I'm likely going to put it where my PS3 is, which is under my desk where you can't really see it. But I would prefer the new controller even if it isn't an actual upgrade. I'm likely going to buy that Revolution, so the stock controller isn't a big issue, just seems redundant to buy an older model, if the newer one (even if uglier) has the stuff I want. If I was using my old stereo system I'd want the optical connector, but right now don't got anything in that room.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12

@saltslasher: No regrets, its a small upgrade.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@saltslasher: I feel no reason to upgrade to a Playstation 4 Pro, the actual advancements to games overall is so minimal that it makes no real impact to the kind of set-up I have. The only game that without question is superior on Pro is Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I don't even play Uncharted-like games anymore to care.

Most developers ain't in a position to alienate the PS4 fanbase, unless they want a result of weak sales, PS4 Pro is the same as New 3DS. So don't hold your breath with Pro being the only way to play PS4 games_

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

No. Still isnt worth the extra money. I got my Ps4 right at the time the Pro came out, and no regrets.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm glad I upgraded to PRO and I'm glad Sony offered a chance to do so, last gen was way too long with the same hardware.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

I don't regret not buying a PS4 Pro. If I had the money to buy one, I'd rather get an Xbox One so I can play games that I can't play on PS4

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have both a Launch version of PlayStation 4, That was bought on Launch day. I also bought a PlayStation 4 Pro also on that consoles launch day. Since I filled up the PS4 500GB HDD, The 1TB HDD of the PS4 Pro is welcome. The "upgrade" is just what the PS4 should have been in the first place. I have no regret

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I like my PS4 Pro. Games look a lot better with HDR + 4K, even when it is just a res bump + upscaling. The better framerate is nice too

Glad to have gotten rid of the PS4Peasant. :P

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

yeah.... i kinda wish i had a pro

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Even when it can get noisy as hell I have absolutely no plans to upgrade my orig PoS4 which I purchased at launch, it's got a 2TB and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

So I had planned to get the Slim before sale ends and use my extra money to get a Vita. But now I decided to get the Pro with PSN. I don't have PS4, just a PS3. Even from my Xbox One, this is a huge upgrade. The Xbox is going up stairs in the drawing room.

The 150$ extra for Pro was too much for me normally, cause last time I tried spending 400$ on PS4 Ops3 Bundle, I ended up getting a freesync 144hz computer monitor cause I got a graphics card for Christmas. Yes 1070 is an upgrade, and my current graphics card could be moved to my Steambox that would make it slightly better than Pro, but I'd still only be using Steam, and quite frankly I'm so freaking set on the computer front. My PoS college laptop is still kicking, my old ass iPad is rocking luckily got the thunderbolt so wasn't left in dust, and home made Steambox made of junk parts is fully capable of almost all my Steam games pre-2015 at high settings.

Meaning if I'm gonna get a PS4, right now is the only time it will happen cause nothing else is in need. In fact I had this all planned out and I saved up this money for Nintendo Switch, and was gonna spend over $400 just getting the Switch and 1 game, and could easily spend another $400 investing in the extras, half of them I feel are necessary. Short story I canceled it all, cause I feel PS4 with Vita is a much better setup, and worth my money.

I figure if I'm gonna cash in on PS4, I rather get the Pro with PSN, and get Vita later. I'm very confident in this choice. For the first year I will likely rely on Gamefly to catch up on gems, and use PSN games to build up my collection. I'm gonna pick a big game like Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 or Persona 5 to hold me out til Holidays.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Not gonna bother with Pro.

In general, PS4 games only use about 60-70% of the power of regular PS4.

This means that if a game runs badly on the regular PS4, it's not because PS4 lacks power. No. It's because the game has been shoddily programmed.

If all games were polished and perfected to use 100% of the power of PS4, we would not have even needed PS4 Pro.

But programmers are lazy. They want more powerful machines, so that they would not need to optimise their games for them to run perfectly on the available hardware. It makes me so mad.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I may get a slim, I know people will say buy a pro to future proof yourself but maybe I can upgrade in 2 years. I don't really play racers much and I suck at fighting games so what games would I play that'd benefit from the pro

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

When I had a 50 inch 4k TV, I felt like the Pro was a waste of money.

I've since upgraded to a 58 from Panasonic's flagship range and now I see the benefit. Switching HDR on and off while playing Uncharted shows a massive difference in image quality.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Again though I can remember developers saying they didn't want the new consoles when they where announced. They said they wanted to wait. Now we no the reason why they didn't like them as they knew with the PS4/X1 was too under powered and even with the new PS4 pro its still under powered. I can always remember devs saying this.

Avatar image for samuelsamuelsamuel
SamuelSamuelSamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SamuelSamuelSamuel
Member since 2018 • 28 Posts

@saltslasher: Absolutely a regret. I just bought an xbox one x and have thoroughly enjoyed it, now I can legitimately say I have joined the evil empire. Never thought I would but I have. Some faith I had has been lost by Sony the PS4 Pro was a stuttering fucked up bloated effort to try to stay ahead of the imminent curve and unfortunately in my opinion was an utter flop. Sure its kind of got lots of games only saying that because with most there is very little diff...well thats all great and wonderful but if it cannot even fucking run Horizon without issues then I think...hmmm maybe theres a problem. Until Sony can take off their beer goggles and at least make an effort to either A. not have to release a PS5 or if in doing so there is no fucking compatibility then pretty much they can go **** themselves because XBO has complete backward compatibility and there are crystal clear differences in RDR, loved that game unfortunately not available at all on PS4. Save your money its not worth it.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I have a launch PS4 and I want the Pro.

I just can’t afford to upgrade yet.

I wish I would have known about the mid gen consoles earlier, because I might have forced myself to wait.

Waiting for a Pro price drop in Canada which is $499.99 here.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#20 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

No regrets so far. For me, I like the peace of mind of knowing I can get better performance out of many games, both new and old, compared to the standard PS4.

Philvg1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Philvg1985
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Nope it rox

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no regrets beaucse I'm looking forward to playing some exclusives this year

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

I sold my old PS4 with two games and two controllers for about 305$ and bought a PRO for 354$ during Black Friday last year so no i don’t regret it, i consider it a bargain.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I own both (in two different rooms). The Pro isn't worth it. The small jump in quality is a joke compared to the gap to a real gaming Pc.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

I got a ps4 slim wwii bundle for $250 a couple weeks ago. I’ve since bought 10 games. I’ve used almost 500gb space so far and i’m planning to get more games. I’m headover heels in love with this console. Price was right and i’m having a blast. No regrets here.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@saltslasher: No regrets with my Pro. Better for PSVR. Makes 1080p games look better also... More particle effects etc. Find one for $349. No sense in paying launch price anymore. I even got Destiny 2 and the season pass with mine for $349.(Back when destiny was $60 still and season pass was $35 I think). If you use wifi, you definitely don't want the launch PS4. No ac. Also the charge cords only charge... The new models allow you to charge and play without using Bluetooth.(never use this feature but it might help with any lag).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12

Can no-one read the date or something?

Its a year-old topic.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#28 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

It's too small of an upgrade to upgrade. Doesn't seem worth it. If they went the route of the Xbox One X, then maybe.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Just bought a slim last weekend. The pro never even crossed my mind as an option. But i also don’t have a 4k tv so it was a no brainer for me.

omkh7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 omkh7
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

No regrets at all.

asterios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By asterios
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

I completely regret spending the money on the PS4 Pro, really wish I just spent the money on the Xbox One X or put it towards a 1080 Ti

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

No, but I do regret not getting this R2 unit from jawas, when they last visited our farm.

That R2 units was so cwute! And it made these cwute tweet-toot sounds too!

*Tweet-toot!*

What? Who? Oh, R2-D2, it is you, it is you!

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Only bought it because I didn' had a PS4 yet and I wanted the "best" experience for VR. Was not worth it.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Still don't have a 4k tv and I have no interest in VR at the moment, so I'm fine with my decision not to get it.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Got the Pro the day it launched, no regerts. I have a 65" 4K HDR TV though. If you have a high end TV and/or PSVR it makes a very noticeable difference. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that to the touch, the launch PS4 console itself feels higher end, capacitive buttons and build materials etc. But as far as current choice the slim or whatever is probably exactly the same. Doesn't affect anything, kinda the same how American cars interiors feel cheap to touch compared to German or Japanese cars.

T3xArmageddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 T3xArmageddon
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

*Shrugs* Why so I can play remastered, indies, and the same old rehashed genres? I stopped caring. I turn my ps4 on every once in a blue moon these days. Probably won't buy another next gen console if Sony/MS expect me to primarily play indie quality games for the first 3 years.... and then old games all over again after that.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

No still see a PS4 as worth the money (there around £180-250 used in the UK)

There isn't enough games to warrant that spend only bloodbourne I have a real interest in.

RodrigoChips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RodrigoChips
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I didn't! I loved to see some games, that I wasn't expecting that they actually would look better. Specially with HDR

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 reaperinthyname
Member since 2018 • 273 Posts

Since the Pro is only suitable for 4K experience, I don't regret not getting it, because I don't have a 4K tv.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Still would like a Pro. Some games like Horizon would benefit from the increased draw distance. But it's just not a wise purchase to make with my budget. If I had a ton of cash to spare after Bill's and other obligations, then I'll pick one up.

But now, it would serve me better buying myself one of the upcoming high end Nvidia GPU's. And a laptop. Whenever the budget numbers allow for those nice things.

GucciGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GucciGamer
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

No way!!! I love my console best thing I have ever purchased :)