First GTA4 Review: MUST SEE!!!

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tsr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tsr__
Member since 2006 • 522 Posts

http://www.gamerevolver.com/articlenav-112-page-2.html

In this review, they say that the PS3 is the better version.....

*this is the NOT the entire original post, yet clips of the highlights. For the entire interview, you will need to contact CGreview.com Comments in red are 360 specific, comments in blue are PS3 specific.

When speaking in general about the game, CGReviews, Cam Garish, simpley stated the following:

"Grand Theft Auto IV is a digital masterpiece. Period. You will like the Xbox 360 version of this game. You will like the PS3 version of this game. Technically, they are the same! However, there are some minor variations."

The review states that their is a mandatory, 10 min install on GTAIV for the PS3, and an optional install on the 360. The review also comments that the 360 version runs a bit choppy, with pop ins and frame rate issues without the install, although hardly noticeable. here is there quote:

"When popping the disc into the PS3 for the first time, you'll have a brief installation. Don't worry, it only takes ten minutes or so, and there's a pleasant bit of GTA history trivia to keep you occupied. So, unlike with Devil May Cry, you'll be able to eat your sandwich prior to playing the game.On the 360, this installation is optional if you have a hard drive. I advise to proceed with installation—it reduces the already minimal frame rate issues on the 360. When the game finally begins, you'll be treated to the best opening credit sequence I've seen for a game in a long, long time."

STORY

As for the story, the article leavesthis section nearly blank, wishing not to spoil any surprises, the only note being thatthe game has a much more indepth, and involved story than previous GTA installments.

GAME PLAY

There are numerous notes in this section, but since the game was not viewed in the finished form, we will cut this out as things may have changed. we will leave you with the following quotes:

The Good:"Vehicles are fantastic."
"The cover system is effective and easy to get used to."
" The squeaky car animation used when hookers do their thing is now accompanied by foggy windows—sweet."
"You can store your favorite vehicles in garages or parking spaces."

The Bad:
"The absence of the Dodo stinks."
"Going on rampages is now almost impossible."
"The ability to commit crimes is much more difficult."
"The 5-0 in GTA4 are smart, and they work really hard to bring you down."
"Euphoria didn't do as much as I hoped."
"There will be one time moments of sheer bliss—and it's worth every second."
"Riding in a Taxi is awesome."

CONTROLS

As seen on CGReviews.com:

"I preferred the PS3 controls because I've always played GTA on PS hardware. The controls aren't identical to previous games, but the learning curve is really small. Most people will probably prefer the 360 controller, but that's to be expected.

There were a couple minor things about the controls that bugged me. I'll mention the single big thing: running. Tapping a button to run works well in theory, but I just know that the wear and tear on my controller has to be increasing exponentially. Still, it's better than having fatigue in game, as how much you run literally depends on your fatigue in the real world. If you're tired of tapping, you walk or take a cab. If the cops are on your tail, you muster up the energy to tap some more. All in all, it works as a concept…but it's bitter-sweet. "

GRAPHICS

This is where things get interesting. We are sure that both versions of the game will be amazing, but the key points hit here are just enough push for us to say that even with a slew of DLC, the PS3 seems to be the better experience.

"The PS3 has a more relaxed color pallet, but this gives everything a more realistic look. If you don't like the realistic look, and you have a HDMI connection, you can fiddle with your PS3 display settings and get it looking much more saturated. The textures are just as sharp as the 360 version, and there's little to no pop-in or screen tearing. The PS3 takes longer to load than the 360, but I took several different head counts in game at different locations, and I always found the PS3 to be more populated than the 360. This could be attributed to the dynamic nature of the world, but it's hard to tell. Either way, the difference was never more than five to seven pedestrians or three to four cars—it's not really much of an advantage.

The 360 is bright. Boy is it bright. Based on discussion history, this one will be claimed to look better, but it'll really be preference. The texture quality is the same on both systems, but the 360 has a more cartoon-like look. This isn't a bad thing. It just depends on preference. I'd compare the difference to that of Oblivion on each system. The 360 also suffers from some frame rate drops that are almost non-existent on the PS3. Installing the 360 version on your system's hard drive, however, will bring performance almost up to par with the PS3.

MULTIPLAYER

Another fun fact is in the multiplayer. While details are still very sketchy, The review specifically quotes the following:

"I know, you want details, but all I can confirm is split-screen on PS3 only. I was alone, so I didn't actually get to have any matches, but I could tell that the split-screen worked really well. There was a significant decrease in the amount of traffic and pedestrians, but it didn't ruin anything. This is understandable. Rendering two instances of Liberty City is a chore for any machine.I can't conclude one way or the other why the split-screen mode was not available on 360, but I assume by the drop in on-screen objects on the PS3 that the 360 just couldn't handle it. If you own a 360, don't worry. You have Xbox Live…so you're set."

So what have we learned from this article? Well, we learn that even after the complaints and issues Rockstar has had with developing on the PS3, the game is smoother, contains more on-screen action, color scheme is more 'real-to-life' and Multiplayer is offered up split-screen on PS3 only. This is not to say that the game is bad on either system, rather, both versions are amazing. We will allow your imaginations to go to work now, dreaming up the coolest of cool thought about your next GTA venture.

As for the conclusion, we feel the review is/was incomplete, as did the reviewer, so we will not post their final score, although we will say it scored very high! Please stay tuned for GameRevolver.com's debut review, to be posted at Midnight, April 29th!

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Well sounds like Rockstar did a great job.

As always.:P

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Oh...the review was legit....congrats on the find.
tsr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tsr__
heres whats a really big deal.....SPLITSCREEN FOR PS3, BUT NOT FOR 360!....(i wonder if thats for online as well?)
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
Never heard of gamerevolver, is it a legit website? Anyone know if it's a good source?
tsr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tsr__
splitscreen > downloaded content anyday
IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
^^ also whats to stop rockstar from making dl content for ps3.
tsr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tsr__
if i only had a 360, id be pissed if i didnt have splitscreen and the ps3 did. Anyways....didn't Sony say something about having downloaded content as well? or was i just hearing things...
coolcat888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 coolcat888
Member since 2003 • 220 Posts
Way to go R*!!!! I'm glad I pre-ordered the Special Edition! :D
Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
It says it's based on CGReviews and on a preliminary version. (On the link)
Vidoegamefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vidoegamefreak
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts
Downloadable content>split screen. Besides you will be able to play split screen on Xbox live. B4 every1 starts talkin s**t, i think that both versions will be great and this is just my opinion so dont take it up the a$$ if i dont think the ps3 version is better. 1 last thing, who doesnt have a hard drive now adays, of course every1 with a 360 will get that update that allows it 2 run as good as the ps3 version. And for those who are thinking "wat is a 360 fanboy doing in a ps3 forum" i like both system i just prefer the 360.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
Fake, idiots.
IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
Downloadable content>split screen. Besides you will be able to play split screen on Xbox live. B4 every1 starts talkin s**t, i think that both versions will be great and this is just my opinion so dont take it up the a$$ if i dont think the ps3 version is better. 1 last thing, who doesnt have a hard drive now adays, of course every1 with a 360 will get that update that allows it 2 run as good as the ps3 version. And for those who are thinking "wat is a 360 fanboy doing in a ps3 forum" i like both system i just prefer the 360.Vidoegamefreak
You have a halo avatar don't even talk.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

Hmm, the reviewer seemed to like it but from what I gathered it didn't seem like he would have given it a 10 or anything.

I can't wait for this game, I'm thinking it's going to be one of those revolutionary games that changes videogame history, I'm feeling like a 9.6-10. Just a guess though.

gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts
sweet. Take that lems who brag about downloadable content!
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kieran88

sweet. Take that lems who brag about downloadable content!gollum007

It's been confirmed fake since 20mins after it went up, the guy done it as a publicity stunt. Check gta.net ¬_¬ 'sake people on here believe any garbage.

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
I'm way excited!!!
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

Way to go R*!!!! I'm glad I pre-ordered the Special Edition! :Dcoolcat888

haha, me too! i pre-ordered it since august

nice review, split-screen!! and framerate works well!

hishkarnib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 hishkarnib
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts

"There will be one time moments of sheer bliss—and it's worth every second."
"Riding in a Taxi is awesome."

tsr__

are these really bad?

Murph_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Murph_Unit
Member since 2004 • 1061 Posts

"the bad: the taxi is awesome."

huh?

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kieran88

I'm way excited!!!w7w7w7w7w7

lol same. WANT. IT. NOW!!!

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
This review is fake. The actual website it was on was edited to be only a counter.
Murph_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Murph_Unit
Member since 2004 • 1061 Posts
yeah...looked pretty fake to me...maybe im wrong.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kieran88
Jesus people, IT'S FAKE. Sorry to end your fanboy self-satisfaction fest.
gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts
well i didn't know and i didn't check tge link and also i'm more cautious of believing things unless it's been confirmed.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kieran88
I bet the TC wishes he hadn't spent all that time making this topic. Hehe.
Space_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Space_Lion
Member since 2003 • 12856 Posts
Thanks for the info...and Murph_Unit, i was also wondering why Taxies being awesome is bad.
tsr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tsr__

I bet the TC wishes he hadn't spent all that time making this topic. Hehe.kieran88

haha i just copy and paste dude, took like 3 seconds. my bad didnt know it was fake

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Symphonycometh

Jesus people, IT'S FAKE. Sorry to end your fanboy self-satisfaction fest.kieran88

Someone sounds too happy here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#30 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I have GTA IV preordered because its gonna be one of the greatest games of all time, but I dont know how much I would trust a review from a site Ive never heard of over 3 weeks before the game comes out.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
Okay for splitscreen is he talking about it being an extra or the only multiplayer for the PS3 version?:
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
Sounds amazing. However, does anyone actually play split-screen anymore? The last time I did was back in the 64 days...
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Symphonycometh

[QUOTE="kieran88"]Jesus people, IT'S FAKE. Sorry to end your fanboy self-satisfaction fest.TEichs233

You need to calm down tool bag! Also, I own you, get a life, and you prolly have hairy palms! (Just thought you would like to know)

:?

Peace be to you too?

Assassinslay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Assassinslay
Member since 2007 • 1366 Posts
Nice
tgh93_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 tgh93_29
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts
Downloadable content>split screen. Besides you will be able to play split screen on Xbox live. B4 every1 starts talkin s**t, i think that both versions will be great and this is just my opinion so dont take it up the a$$ if i dont think the ps3 version is better. 1 last thing, who doesnt have a hard drive now adays, of course every1 with a 360 will get that update that allows it 2 run as good as the ps3 version. And for those who are thinking "wat is a 360 fanboy doing in a ps3 forum" i like both system i just prefer the 360.Vidoegamefreak
almost par. not par. close to. still not as good.
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

Way to go R*!!!! I'm glad I pre-ordered the Special Edition! :Dcoolcat888

haha, me too! i pre-ordered it since august

nice review, split-screen!! and framerate works well!

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Can't wait.. looks like it's going to be awesome!
leke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 leke
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts

Yea i saw this yesterday but his website got taken down because of Rockstars lawyers. Anyway, he gave it a 9.3/10 :) Some guy at N4G had a link to the review->

http://home.comcast.net/~infamousdd/CGReviews_-_Cam_Garish_Reviews_-_One_Review_at_a_Time.html

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

a 6.5 out of 10?!

:(

I had high hopes for this game...

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
IDK if this is legit is it? ima wait a lil bit more before im thrilled with the game IGN will be the one to help me decied
Kid_Game66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kid_Game66
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
Man this so fake....like c'mon! you think that rock* is gonna Actually let some random dude get a early copy of the game and not let a bigger website like This one have it first!?!?!? i say it's fake and! cant wait to let my ps3 RAPE this game!!!
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

THIS GUY GAVE IT A 9.3

AND WHY ISNT THIS IN SYSTEM WARS!?!?!?!

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Fake. I doubt Rockstar would let a small, unheard of website review as huge game like GTA 4 first.
Avatar image for M76SharpShooter
M76SharpShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 M76SharpShooter
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

Fake or not fake its still gonna look better on PS3 360 blows me have fun with your RROD.

PS no MGS 4 for 360:D

istylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 istylee
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
even though its fake, im still hyped!
numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts

"the bad: the taxi is awesome."

huh?

Murph_Unit

I'm guessing taxi can transport you from places to places and you don't have to drive unlike the other gta games

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
This review was shown to be fake. All made up.
Blaiyze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Blaiyze1
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
GET THIS ONTO SYSTEM WARS!!! Lets c wat the lemmings hav 2 say!!
dwade_vokmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dwade_vokmy
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts
damn, sweet , can't wait fo the game