Duke Nukem Forever Review (2/5)

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Joystiqs review is in... I expect this to be one of many negative reviews... How many of you guys don't care about DNFs reviews AT ALL and are purchasing the game no matter what?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I will not be getting it. While some people I'm sure are getting this based on nostalgia alone, I will not be. Times have changed, and the industry has moved forward - as the reviewer point out DNF is stuck in the past. I mean slapping a girl's *** in multiplayer? Give me a break.

Not to mention that it sounds like the game runs terribly.Laggy multiplayer, screen tearing etc.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

Well this game is for a mature audience, if you can't handle it, don't buy it. Theres worse things in video games, play any gta game, heavy rain, god of war (interactive sex scenes), LA N.O.I.R.E.

I will not be getting it. While some people I'm sure are getting this based on nostalgia alone, I will not be. Times have changed, and the industry has moved forward - as the reviewer point out DNF is stuck in the past. I mean slapping a girl's *** in multiplayer? Give me a break.

Not to mention that it sounds like the game runs terribly.Laggy multiplayer, screen tearing etc.

Vari3ty

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I'm shocked....I just knew after being delayed 10 years and going through different devs it was going to be a huge hit... :P

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Joystiqs review is in... I expect this to be one of many negative reviews... How many of you guys don't care about DNFs reviews AT ALL and are purchasing the game no matter what?

MethodManFTW

Yep, right here. I don't care if every site on the planet gives it a 1/10. I buy and play through Duke Nukem Forever. It doesn't matter. All that matters is I get to play through DNF in it's entirety.

Duke has a very stupid, very dumb, very cliched 80s action hero sense of humour and I find that funny personally.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
I'll still play it. I wanna check it out after so long.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've never understood how people can say it's okay to kill hundreds of people in the most realistic manner possible, but take offense at slapping a girl's butt.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

This is probably one of those titles that will be impervious to bad reviews sales-wise.

That being said, I wasn't planning on getting this game from the start. If I really wanted some Duke action I'll just fire up Duke Nukem 3D.

Ninja_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ninja_Odin
Member since 2011 • 386 Posts

Well this game is for a mature audience, if you can't handle it, don't buy it. Theres worse things in video games, play any gta game, heavy rain, god of war (interactive sex scenes), LA N.O.I.R.E. [QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

redskins2156

I rented the game today(UK) it's a bad game. **** all this mature rated crap, i'm all for naked chicks and pervesive humour but It's just a bad game. Horrible graphics, awful load times, cringe worthy dialogue on top of average shooting mechnics and tons of screen tearing. If you desperately want this game i'd get it on PC if you have a strong PC.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#11 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I just have to say biggest wait for a game and its a total flop.

JotaPreisler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JotaPreisler
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

I've never understood how people can say it's okay to kill hundreds of people in the most realistic manner possible, but take offense at slapping a girl's butt.

Jackc8

Because it's sexist. Because, at least in this game, they are portrayed as nothing more than sexual objects. Imagine yourself being a girl and playing this game; you'd be really offended. Women have a different approach at sex than men.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Well this game is for a mature audience, if you can't handle it, don't buy it. Theres worse things in video games, play any gta game, heavy rain, god of war (interactive sex scenes), LA N.O.I.R.E. [QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

redskins2156

That part has nothing to do with maturity.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#14 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I'll be getting it but I fully expect it to be a big steaming pile.

Thanks to EB's generous trade in policy I'll only be paying around twenty bucks for it in total so the hit to the wallet won't be so bad.

I liked the first game and am prepared drop twenty for the sake of nostagia but I think anyone paying full price is gonna be disappointed with themselves.

The only question will be do I go the midnight release or wait til the morning. It's one thing to knowingly buy a dud game but to go out of your way to get it...

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Alice the Madness Returns comes out the same day.. So i will be buying that, and renting this..
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

Because it's sexist. Because, at least in this game, they are portrayed as nothing more than sexual objects. Imagine yourself being a girl and playing this game; you'd be really offended. Women have a different approach at sex than men.

You have a point, but then, so does Gabe:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As far as I'm concerned, Duke was something original back when it came out in the 90s. Back then, Doom was about the only thing to compare it to. Now even Killzone does jetpacks. It sounds like they dropped the ball with this game. But then whether it was much of a ball to begin with is debateable.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I don't understand the whole "I know it's going to suck but I'm buying it anyway" stuff.....

My guess is that they didn't go all out on it because they know people will buy it even if it's crap....I guess they would be right though.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I get it when it hits the bargain bins for $5-10 used, which shouldn't be long with the reviews its getting.

I'll take a chance on any game for $5, especially the Duke.

dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

first of all WHERE is all this screen-tearing that reviewer is talking about? i played half the campaign and a bit of mp today and there is ZERO screen tearing on the ps3 version. the reviewer must've been playing the pc version with v-sync turned OFF. i know screen tearing when i see it, i hate that every assassin's creed game has it, but dnf on ps3 doesn't have it. you don't have to worry about that.

second who cares if the game doesn't "fit in" with modern times? this is a game that was supposed to come out many years ago, & only came out now because another dev had to finish it off. it's classic duke nukem. if you like dn3d you'll probably like this. if they made it more "modern" fans would've complained they changed it too much. you just can't win with some people.

only negatives i agree with are ok the graphics aren't great. there's some crappy textures and pop-in but again, it doesn't bother me. i never expected this game to rival killzone. otherwise yeah the campaign might be pretty short, but 10-12 hours is better than kz3's 4 hours, and dnf has a variety of mini games, collectables and difficulties to keep you coming back.

the worst thing about it for me was no split screen or co-op. that made it a rental for me. maybe it's not quite worth £40 / $60 / whatever, but come on it's worth a lot more than 2/5 . rent it or wait for a price drop if you're not sure.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

MethodManFTW

After the 200yr delay, I'm shocked that the game is still coming out!:P I wasn't planning on buying the game anyway "BUT" if I was, the reviews would mean nothing to me.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

i always like quake more than duke nukem back in 90s.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I have it pre ordred on Steam. I am still gonna enjoy it cause it's Duke Nukem and it's gonna be a wild crazy ride. I'm not going into the game expecting some amazing revolution in FPS genre, just crazy shootem up fun.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
ive been playing it all day today, online wasnt amazing or anything but the single player was fun lol. i spent most of my time laughing at the things you could do, like seriously throwing a lump of S*** in someones face then punching their head off lol :P and going on roid rage punching pigs lol. its supposed to be over the top funny, i expected to see something like this from female rights groups but not from joystiq.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Whatever. No surprise. His character has done nothing but stagnate with the rest of the 90's.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I laughed when they were serious about actually pushing the project. There's no market for Duke Nukem anymore. They screwed up and it died when Duke Nukem Forever was TBA for fifteen years. I mean come on, year five should've indicated it.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
somehow im not a BIT suprised. when i say the first tech demo for some reason all i could think about for this game was "FAIL". i couldnt stop shaking my head...this tops GT5 as the biggest letdown of the gen.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
somehow im not a BIT suprised. when i say the first tech demo for some reason all i could think about for this game was "FAIL". i couldnt stop shaking my head...this tops GT5 as the biggest letdown of the gen. slvrraven9
Hopefully the next one will be better.. And I hope DN3D goes to PSN
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Denji

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]somehow im not a BIT suprised. when i say the first tech demo for some reason all i could think about for this game was "FAIL". i couldnt stop shaking my head...this tops GT5 as the biggest letdown of the gen. Young_Charter
Hopefully the next one will be better.. And I hope DN3D goes to PSN

Hell, I even remember the early screens for DNF using the old id engine back in the 90's lol

That was the big stink after Duke Nukem Atomic Edition.

manyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 manyfist
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Just sounds like the reviewer takes a too much of a white knight look upon the crassness of Duke and the way women are treated. All the other stuff just seems like he was really bad at FPS and complained that he's not that great by taking it out on the game. It's like he's not expecting that Duke was a rude, crude, 80's action film cliche.. expecting that Duke would change when majority of the people would be very pissed that if he did change. Frankly you're getting the game because you know what it is and you'll enjoy it no matter what.
annoyingdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 annoyingdevil
Member since 2010 • 1222 Posts

MethodManFTW

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111 **** YOU DUKE NUKEM THATS WHAT HAPPENDS WHEN YOU MAKE A GAME UN KID FREINDLY ON ****ING PURPOSE.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

JotaPreisler

You know what's more sexist than that? Assuming you know how all women will respond to it. Also assuming all women have the same approach to sex :roll:

Yup, there are strippers in Duke Nukem. I know a stripper, she's a pretty cool girl. They exist. I also know women that are buying this game and don't give two craps about their being objectification to women here. Not every guy is a big, brawny cigar smoking alien killer either.

No woman is being harassed because its a virtual girl. Similarly, no one is dying in Call of Duty because they're virtual people. People are literally getting angry that pixels are moving in the manner of a butt smack?

Erratic_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Erratic_Knight
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

If you want to play DNF then go buy bulletstorm. It's 100% better...

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#33 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

A game that was in the vaporware stage for over 10 years, now finally sees release, and it is a generic brown shooter with many technical problems, and people still will buy it. Even though they say they know it will suck. I dont understand this concept :P

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#34 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I'm not interested one bit in this game. From everything I've seen it looks awful.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
I hope FF Versus XIII doesn't take the same amount of time :P
jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts

A game that was in the vaporware stage for over 10 years, now finally sees release, and it is a generic brown shooter with many technical problems, and people still will buy it. Even though they say they know it will suck. I dont understand this concept :P

svaubel
Me either. No way would I spend this kind of money on a game I believe will be terrible, let alone the $100 Collector's Ed.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

svaubel

It's a piece of history for people like me who played Duke back in the day. It's an amazing thing that the game is actually coming, I don't think anyone expects the actual game to be amazing. People buy Duke Nukem Forever to close the chapter on this tragic tale.

Inmate_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inmate_69
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
This game won't sell well. They dropped the ball big time trying to get it out and now it like a throw back FPS. It won't stand a chance with games like: KZ3, MW3, Rage, BF3, and any other FPS. They should have just scrapped Duke from the get go.
Ninja_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ninja_Odin
Member since 2011 • 386 Posts
Alice the Madness Returns comes out the same day.. So i will be buying that, and renting this..PoisoN_Facecam0
don't get either, rent both. Seriously Alice is the sort of game that will be $30 in a month. What is the point of spending $60 on these "average" games when you got about half adozen AAA blockbusters coming out later this year? save your money. Rent these games because there is no way you'll be playing them after you beat them...if you even do.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

I don't understand the whole "I know it's going to suck but I'm buying it anyway" stuff.....

My guess is that they didn't go all out on it because they know people will buy it even if it's crap....I guess they would be right though.

BSC14

i'm at a loss on that also

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

i am not buying it. after i saw the first trailer it looked like an unfunny generic sci fi FPS and i am not wasting my money

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
Hopefully the bad reviews cause the price of the game to drop quickly so I can pick it up. The nostalgia factor alone is enough to make me want to own it; I mean... it's been vaporware for more than a decade!
San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

redskins2156

LOL at ''mature''.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I never cared for reviews, and I'm not gonna start any time soon. I will be getting this game even if it gets a negative rating.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

I never cared for reviews, and I'm not gonna start any time soon. I will be getting this game even if it gets a negative rating.

HaLoMaStErJT

well do us all a favor, after you buy and play it please come back and let us know how it worked out, that's like saying i know lair and haze got bad reviews but i'm going to buy it anyway and pretend to be happy but i guess we'll see

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#46 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Duke Nukem isn't cool but Sonic the Hedgehog is.

gundaicut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gundaicut
Member since 2010 • 456 Posts
i have the game ill give it 1/5 gearbox ruined duke nukem i would have rather waited another 12 years if i knew this shyt was gonna be so bad this isnt even worth a rental
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I've never been a fan of the DN games but I would like to try DNF's campaign at some point. I'm in no rush to get it, though. I might wait and see if it's included in the Steam Christmas sales.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

The nature of the game and the fact half the code is 5 years old shows they won't expect to be raking in the gold, i'm pretty sure they all have their thick skin on around these times as it'll be slandered endlessly for sexism, it's not like they're killing the women but the media will go nuts "Duke Nukem ban discussed by every country in the world!!!".. I bet this gets more media cover than Gaddafi murdering his own innocent women and children. Isn't it hilarious how the world views things and ignores things not personally or emotionally connected directly to themselves, families only want troops to withdraw and start petitions and protests only after their son is killed in war. Pig ignorant to say the least but a game strikes a nerve and suddenly the newspapers are predicting every 15 year old to be smacking his "hoe" around with a big fat cigar in his mouth.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Denji

I don't really understand these "arguments" about everything "morally wrong" with this game, when they have no problem stabbing someone in the face in some other FPS game or beating women with a baseball bat in GTA. Get real folks, you have no points, nothing's valid with your engineered responses and you're all hypocrites. If you don't like it, GET OUT OF GAMING.

Duke Nukem has been like this since the 90's and I can assure that about half of you were barely babies by '95. Can any of you recall (by memory) the whole Mortal Kombat "outcry"?