Does UPnP work for ANYONE? (Network Question)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

So my router supports UPnP (Universal Plug n' Play... a feature that opens up necessary ports for PSN and gaming automatically.)  Well, the PS3 always says 'UPnP Failed' when I test it, so I just diable it and opened up the ports manually.  It's not that hard with my set up, but might be for the layman.  I am wondering if ANYONE has sucessful UPnP tests when testing their network settings.  If so, it's probably my router... the DGL-4300, which thankfully makes port forwarding a snap.  But I have heard widespread mutterings that lots of people are reporting trouble with the PS3 recognizing their router's plug and play with their network.

You'd think this would be the end of it... just open the ports once and your set.   However it's looking like Sony didn't standardize the ports developers must use for online PS3 games, at least with the batch of games out now.  Since the UPnP doesn't work (for me,) that means manual port forwarding is possible with each new game.  After reading about it the matter on various boards like Sony's official PS3 forum, Resistance needs different ports to be forwarded than other online games in stores now.  Does this mean every time you buy an online game you will have to manually forward the ports (since UPnP isn't working, at least for some?)  Or maybe there will be ones that use the same port as Resistance, so you won't have to open them with every new game, but only once in a while.  Either way, I wish that A) there were standardized ports used for all PS3 games, and B) that UPnP would work correctly, making A) a non-issue. 

For help forwarding the required ports, check out www.portforward.com... it holds your hand and will ensure that you'll get the most online bandwidth out of your PS3. 

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
I have a Linksys WRT-54GL and it has a successful UPnP.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 donalbane
I have a Linksys WRT-54GL and it has a successful UPnP.b11051973
You've made me very sad. I don't want to buy a new router :( Oh well, manual port forwarding is not the end of the world. Glad it's not a widespread problem. Man, that blows. Thanks for the info.
SirRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SirRaven
Member since 2005 • 934 Posts
I have the same WRT54GL and UPNP works fine. However, I used to have a BEFW11S4 (iirc the model #) and despie having UPNP enabled in the router, the ps3 would consistently report that it failed. It must be an issue w/ older routers. It doesn't really matter either way if you enable DMZ for your ps3's ip address. That way, the internet is completely unblocked for the ps3 and since your ps3 getting hacked isn't a concern, DMZ is the best option for it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 donalbane
I'm not entirely sure how to enable DMZ just for one particular piece of equipment, but you're right... assuming I can figure out how to open the DMZ (just for the PS3) that would solve the problem. Thanks for the advice ;)
rebirthofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 rebirthofman
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
I have the same WRT54GL and UPNP works fine. However, I used to have a BEFW11S4 (iirc the model #) and despie having UPNP enabled in the router, the ps3 would consistently report that it failed. It must be an issue w/ older routers. It doesn't really matter either way if you enable DMZ for your ps3's ip address. That way, the internet is completely unblocked for the ps3 and since your ps3 getting hacked isn't a concern, DMZ is the best option for it.SirRaven
Ahh man thanks I been wondering what my buddies problem was connecting I gave him my old router and its the 11s4 thats why it keeps disconnecting on him. I wasn't sure I thought it was his cable but makes since now. Thanks bro.