Disappointed with latest update and PS3 in general now.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

So all this update does is stop people from using another OS? Nothing added?

I probably never would've used this feature but it's a really stupid decision to do this right now and I'll tell you why. I know I'm not the only one who is extremely disappointed by the support sony gives the ps3. Many of the features we were promised when they were hyping it up have either never been enabled or are only featured in a small handful of games. People keep asking for things like cross game chat and custom soundtracks and all we ever get are completely superfluous things like the facebook app or the most worthless features of other consoles like achievement trophies and the Homiis. On top of that they keep taking away features like BC and now this. So I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend the ps3 to friends who still haven't taken the next gen plunge or are thinking of getting one in addition to the other console(s) they have. I think that if they take away a feature, then they should also permanently add one like cross game chat (another thing I would never use but a lot of others want it) or custom soundtracks for every game. You'd think they would do that just for PR.

What are they going to take next?

Streetracer666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Streetracer666
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-update.html

READ and see what is happening.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Ok, while I hate that Sony has done this I really have never seen a problem with their support of the PS3. People want to complain about how Sony has removed all these initial features from the PS3, but they never mention the fact that they also removed $400 from the initial price!!! They've also upgraded the size of the HDDs that come with the slims. They never removed anything that we can't live without, and if they didn't do so so they could lower the price and sell more PS3s then they'd probably have gotten to the point where they couldn't afford to support any console as they would be out of the game. So, before you whine and cry about your PS3s functionality, please, consider how much you paid for it compared to how much someone else paid that does have those features. Personally, I'd rather have ditched a few USBs and BC if I could have saved $400.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

God forbid Sony to try and stop piracy. -__-

jrocksreturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jrocksreturn
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
Ok, while I hate that Sony has done this I really have never seen a problem with their support of the PS3. People want to complain about how Sony has removed all these initial features from the PS3, but they never mention the fact that they also removed $400 from the initial price!!! They've also upgraded the size of the HDDs that come with the slims. They never removed anything that we can't live without, and if they didn't do so so they could lower the price and sell more PS3s then they'd probably have gotten to the point where they couldn't afford to support any console as they would be out of the game. So, before you whine and cry about your PS3s functionality, please, consider how much you paid for it compared to how much someone else paid that does have those features. Personally, I'd rather have ditched a few USBs and BC if I could have saved $400. TheEldestGod
I would not have lol I do agree though the Ps3 still has alot of support for the PS3, and have really been picking up alot of steam as of late. Love my pS3 (Regardless if Ipaid 530$ for it on Amazon)....;)
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEldestGod
[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"]Ok, while I hate that Sony has done this I really have never seen a problem with their support of the PS3. People want to complain about how Sony has removed all these initial features from the PS3, but they never mention the fact that they also removed $400 from the initial price!!! They've also upgraded the size of the HDDs that come with the slims. They never removed anything that we can't live without, and if they didn't do so so they could lower the price and sell more PS3s then they'd probably have gotten to the point where they couldn't afford to support any console as they would be out of the game. So, before you whine and cry about your PS3s functionality, please, consider how much you paid for it compared to how much someone else paid that does have those features. Personally, I'd rather have ditched a few USBs and BC if I could have saved $400. jrocksreturn
I would not have lol I do agree though the Ps3 still has alot of support for the PS3, and have really been picking up alot of steam as of late. Love my pS3 (Regardless if Ipaid 530$ for it on Amazon)....;)

Well, I paid $600 for mine and do have all the perks, but I could never justify paying that much if there was an option for half the price and only missing a few slots and the ability to play old games. I mean, c'mon.... Anyway, I love my PS3, too, and as long as Sony doesn't remove the ability to play PS3 games or watch BluRays.... I'm good! :P
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Sony has their reasons for doing this update. It's no biggie to me and I've installed another OS.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I don't really mind this update. But, so many of us have been waiting for cross-game chat. Where is it? I still can't believe sony is this behind the competition.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
Its not so easy to add cross gamr chat. And as for custom music in games, its up to developers and not Sony. also why would you want to listen to some custom music when games have their own soundtrack anyway. And im glad they removed Linux support. Now theres no way to possibly hack the ps3 imo. And i like it that way. Its for the greater good.
11_17_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 11_17_06
Member since 2006 • 765 Posts

I do understand where Sony is coming from, by taking off the os option. By doing that, hackers will just find another way to hack the console. Sadly this war is far from over...:cry:

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Ok, while I hate that Sony has done this I really have never seen a problem with their support of the PS3. People want to complain about how Sony has removed all these initial features from the PS3, but they never mention the fact that they also removed $400 from the initial price!!! They've also upgraded the size of the HDDs that come with the slims. They never removed anything that we can't live without, and if they didn't do so so they could lower the price and sell more PS3s then they'd probably have gotten to the point where they couldn't afford to support any console as they would be out of the game. So, before you whine and cry about your PS3s functionality, please, consider how much you paid for it compared to how much someone else paid that does have those features. Personally, I'd rather have ditched a few USBs and BC if I could have saved $400. TheEldestGod
This is an amazing post. I hate to be a nag on it, BUT, I'm about to lose a nifty feature even if I paid the original 60gig price. Right to complain, sir? :P
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Why the hell is everyone crying about 3.21?

I mean, everyone. I can understand the people who actually use OtherOS, but even people who never had, are not and never will use it are whining.

Besides, cross game chat, I'm pretty sure is going to be in the premium service when that launches. If it wasn't, they would have done it by now.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

I love my PS3, too, and as long as Sony doesn't remove the ability to play PS3 games or watch BluRays.... I'm good! :PTheEldestGod

Then you expectations are lower that I would've imagined.

Thank you all for illustrating exactly why gamers are considered the biggest suckers this side of new car lots.

The willingness to pay more for less is what will drive the prices for the next gen consoles up and the expectations down. This generation saw tons of gamers run out and buy a machine that's known to be defective. And some bought more than one when it inevitably broke.

If this is the direction console gaming is going towards, I think this is my last generation with consoles. Sure a good game pc is expensive but at least with that you get what you paid for.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

My only complaing is that new consoles aren't fully backward compatible. I have a ton of ps2 games which I still play regularly and no ps2. I have one of the original 80 gb ps3s, and it still works. But if something happens to it, I'll need to buy a ps3 and a ps2 to be able to play all my games, and I don't have space to have them both hooked up at once. Unless I can track down an older ps3 used somewhere.

Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

So all this update does is stop people from using another OS? Nothing added?

I probably never would've used this feature but it's a really stupid decision to do this right now and I'll tell you why. I know I'm not the only one who is extremely disappointed by the support sony gives the ps3. Many of the features we were promised when they were hyping it up have either never been enabled or are only featured in a small handful of games. People keep asking for things like cross game chat and custom soundtracks and all we ever get are completely superfluous things like the facebook app or the most worthless features of other consoles like achievement trophies and the Homiis. On top of that they keep taking away features like BC and now this. So I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend the ps3 to friends who still haven't taken the next gen plunge or are thinking of getting one in addition to the other console(s) they have. I think that if they take away a feature, then they should also permanently add one like cross game chat (another thing I would never use but a lot of others want it) or custom soundtracks for every game. You'd think they would do that just for PR.

What are they going to take next?

LeifLongbottom

I agree with you,its really sad that they removed installing other os function,I wasn't using it but it still some thing special for me,I am disappointedabout sony and like I said in alot of threads I think this is my last sony console not only bec of this update but bec of alot of other things,I have been a sony customer and fan since PSOne but not going to be any more I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cc8c28f97e
deactivated-601cc8c28f97e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-601cc8c28f97e
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts

Were complaining because we paid good money to have those features then they strip it clean from us. This is just ridiculous, I'm selling my MGS4 Bundle ps3 and just sticking to pc gaming now.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Sony did the right thing by doing this. I hate how people are whining and crying about.Sony did it to prevent their system from being hacked,like I said before that Big shot hacker had it coming I'm not letting some fool ruin my Playstation Exp.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
wow, i bet more than half or close to 90% of all ps3 owners don't even use that feature, only a small handful of ppl do. why complain about something so small. i mean most ppl now a days have a slim and the slim doesn't even support the other OS to begin with. i think ppl should stop crying about this feature and be glad ur ps3 still plays blu ray and ps3 games and go play online for free, besides i didnt get the ps3 for the other OS.
SrgtSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SrgtSwift
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts

WOW! everyone crying because this update prevents you from using an OS? REALLY PPL? how many ppl actually have or had an OS on the system? get over it!

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoKeR_421

WOW! everyone crying because this update prevents you from using an OS? REALLY PPL? how many ppl actually have or had an OS on the system? get over it!

SrgtSwift
like i mentioned at least 5% or so might be using the other OS, some might have had even a friend help him install it but not even use it lol. this thread is a joke and the cryin is as well.
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Yep, that's why I playing 360 right now.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

Its not so easy to add cross gamr chat. And as for custom music in games, its up to developers and not Sony. also why would you want to listen to some custom music when games have their own soundtrack anyway. And im glad they removed Linux support. Now theres no way to possibly hack the ps3 imo. And i like it that way. Its for the greater good. tommyas

The greater good

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEldestGod

[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"] I love my PS3, too, and as long as Sony doesn't remove the ability to play PS3 games or watch BluRays.... I'm good! :PLeifLongbottom

Then you expectations are lower that I would've imagined.

Thank you all for illustrating exactly why gamers are considered the biggest suckers this side of new car lots.

The willingness to pay more for less is what will drive the prices for the next gen consoles up and the expectations down. This generation saw tons of gamers run out and buy a machine that's known to be defective. And some bought more than one when it inevitably broke.

If this is the direction console gaming is going towards, I think this is my last generation with consoles. Sure a good game pc is expensive but at least with that you get what you paid for.

Man, that emoticon with the tongue sticking out never has the effect I want it to. I was kidding, dude. Obvioiusly I don't want to lose any more of my features. Only an idiot would be okay with that. I was just hinting at the ultimate irony: A PS3 that nolonger played games.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

Sony did the right thing by doing this. I hate how people are whining and crying about.Sony did it to prevent their system from being hacked,like I said before that Big shot hacker had it coming I'm not letting some fool ruin my Playstation Exp.

Promised_Trini
I agree. It is so funny how so many couch laywers are popping out of the woodwork.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEldestGod
[QUOTE="TheEldestGod"]Ok, while I hate that Sony has done this I really have never seen a problem with their support of the PS3. People want to complain about how Sony has removed all these initial features from the PS3, but they never mention the fact that they also removed $400 from the initial price!!! They've also upgraded the size of the HDDs that come with the slims. They never removed anything that we can't live without, and if they didn't do so so they could lower the price and sell more PS3s then they'd probably have gotten to the point where they couldn't afford to support any console as they would be out of the game. So, before you whine and cry about your PS3s functionality, please, consider how much you paid for it compared to how much someone else paid that does have those features. Personally, I'd rather have ditched a few USBs and BC if I could have saved $400. ProjectTrinity
This is an amazing post. I hate to be a nag on it, BUT, I'm about to lose a nifty feature even if I paid the original 60gig price. Right to complain, sir? :P

Complain about losing the extra OS feature all yu want. I'm right there with you! I'm simply referring to things Sony removed to cut production and retail costs of the PS3. TC seems to think that losing hardware features that were cut for the sake of making his PS3 more affordable is on the same level as what Sony is doing now. Its totally not. At any rate.... Complain away! :P
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts

MazehcS0ul
Because you can't use another OS? that's a stupid reason. To all the people complaining, you didn't pay 600$ for another OS. You did that for Blu-ray, SD cards, more USB ports, and better Wi-Fi than the current consoles. It also happens to be a GAMING SYSTEM.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEldestGod

MazehcS0ul
What, your mama didn't buy you no PS3 games? Or did she just not buy you a PS3?
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoKeR_421
[QUOTE="MazehcS0ul"]

TheEldestGod
What, your mama didn't buy you no PS3 games? Or did she just not buy you a PS3?

lmao, or maybe he cant afford one
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Promised_Trini

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

hiryu3

I agree. It is so funny how so many couch laywers are popping out of the woodwork.

You know what I am waiting for now people who are gonna start saying they are going to sell their PS3 because of this update.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I say we just all chip in and have GeoHotz killed.. there problem solved! :P
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Promised_Trini

I say we just all chip in and have GeoHotz killed.. there problem solved! :PPoisoN_Facecam0

Lol I wanna hear what other stupid reasons he comes up with regarding the update.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoKeR_421

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I say we just all chip in and have GeoHotz killed.. there problem solved! :PPromised_Trini

Lol I wanna hear what other stupid reasons he comes up with regarding the update.

wat did he say anyways lol
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEldestGod
I say we just all chip in and have GeoHotz killed.. there problem solved! :PPoisoN_Facecam0
I got 5 on it! I got an uncle that may can do it. You ever hear of a man named Tony Soprano?
dokmaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dokmaron
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

i used linux and now i am dissappointed with sony. I dont like piracy but sony, you have **** me a lot with this update. I like to play games but if i want to have linux i cannot update, so the only way to have linux and to play games is pirate games. Sony you have failed me and i am not going to buy you nothing more. I will pirate you as many games as i can. Geohot you can do it

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

How about when you're the head of a company and are faced with a decision to keep it and potentially let people pirate your games or shut it out and prevent it for sure you can tell us it's a stupid idea then, ok?

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
wow, i bet more than half or close to 90% of all ps3 owners don't even use that feature, only a small handful of ppl do. why complain about something so small. i mean most ppl now a days have a slim and the slim doesn't even support the other OS to begin with. i think ppl should stop crying about this feature and be glad ur ps3 still plays blu ray and ps3 games and go play online for free, besides i didnt get the ps3 for the other OS. JoKeR_421
Its easy to say that when you havent paid for a feature, its typical i get a 500gb hdd and just abt to install linux and then this update.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
I bet some of these people are just angry that Sony is battling piracy. I never saw this many people care so much for the OtherOS feature.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEldestGod
I bet some of these people are just angry that Sony is battling piracy. I never saw this many people care so much for the OtherOS feature.scar-hawk
I think people are more upset at the basic principle of removing a feature from a product without the owner's say so. Sony's not the only ones to do it and we all know it wasn't a very useful feature anyway. Still. Its just not a cool thing to do.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JoKeR_421
[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]wow, i bet more than half or close to 90% of all ps3 owners don't even use that feature, only a small handful of ppl do. why complain about something so small. i mean most ppl now a days have a slim and the slim doesn't even support the other OS to begin with. i think ppl should stop crying about this feature and be glad ur ps3 still plays blu ray and ps3 games and go play online for free, besides i didnt get the ps3 for the other OS. Wuflungdung
Its easy to say that when you havent paid for a feature, its typical i get a 500gb hdd and just abt to install linux and then this update.

no not really, i mean i had Linux installed, but barely used it to be honest, and i know tons of ppl that did the same, or didnt even bother or cared much about it. all i know there isnt alot of ppl out there using or was using it, only a small handful of ppl. now i do feel bad for those ppl includin u, since u said u installed it urself. but its not the end of the world, u can always not update? but either way its not like the ps3 doesnt play ps3 games or blu ray, or any other stuff.
darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

as long as Sony doesn't remove the ability to play PS3 games or watch BluRays.... I'm good! :PTheEldestGod

Basically this for me as well, sprinkled with a lil free online. Call me old fashioned, I just want to play games lol.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

I do understand where Sony is coming from, by taking off the os option. By doing that, hackers will just find another way to hack the console. Sadly this war is far from over...:cry:

11_17_06

Thats like saying a car jacker will simply find another way to get into your car if you lock the doors, so you might as well just leave your car unlocked all the time...but the point isn't about prevention, its about deterance.

It will make it much more difficult for hackers to do what they want to the ps3, and that extra work might turn them off from trying to begin with. It just makes a person think twice about the effort needed for the reward. Sony just tipped the scale a little bit, and it does it in favor for the user instead of the abuser.

BTW so what if you can't run Linux on your ps3. Linux is a programmable OS with an open source code. You can use it on a wide range of hardware true....but I'm guessing 99% of all PS3 users actually use it as a gaming system instead of a computer, since thats what it was made for. Just because the 1% can't use my gaming hardware for their own needs, isn't cause for an uproar of "Sony sux!". Just go buy a computer.

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
This guy is completely right. Seriously how many people actually use that OS feature. I looked on another forum and its poll showed not many. And BC is never a important feature, its more of a luxery if u want to pay alot more, eg gps in a car, its not neccessary but its a luxery if u want a gps which is built into the car. And the PS3 has shed so much money off its initial price and its gained more better features/online stuff and more hdd space i dont care about losing a feature that only a FEW people out of many use.
hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hot_shot_9
[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]I bet some of these people are just angry that Sony is battling piracy. I never saw this many people care so much for the OtherOS feature.TheEldestGod
I think people are more upset at the basic principle of removing a feature from a product without the owner's say so. Sony's not the only ones to do it and we all know it wasn't a very useful feature anyway. Still. Its just not a cool thing to do.

But when u turn on ur system after the update it does tell you that it will be removing the feature so it sort of lets you know and people who use it are most likely techys so they could just not be lazy and look on the net for a modified version of 3.21 which basically lets u keep the OS feature. And im pretty sure that this was only done to reduce the chance of the ps3 being hacked.
hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hot_shot_9

[QUOTE="dokmaron"]

i used linux and now i am dissappointed with sony. I dont like piracy but sony, you have **** me a lot with this update. I like to play games but if i want to have linux i cannot update, so the only way to have linux and to play games is pirate games. Sony you have failed me and i am not going to buy you nothing more. I will pirate you as many games as i can. Geohot you can do it

Promised_Trini

Wow just wow..Your one of the guys that are crying and moaning eh. Oh Well bye bye to that other os option.learn to spell a little better to disappointed.

Whatah baby. Good luck trying to find pirated blu-ray ps3 games. XD Its not easy as pirating ps2 games you know.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

[QUOTE="dokmaron"]

Promised_Trini

Wow just wow..Your one of the guys that are crying and moaning eh. Oh Well bye bye to that other os option.learn to spell a little better to disappointed.

Spelling isn't the only thing that's important. Wouldn't you say?

Tripleseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tripleseed
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

I'm disappointed in Sony as well, but not because of the stupid OS update thing. I am disappointed in them simply because the PS3 is a shadow of what the PS2 once was. I mean c'mon, you go from being in 1st place by a long-shot to being in dead last, all whilst struggling just to take second place, dropping features, cutting prices, and losing exclusive franchises. Not to mention the distinct lack of awesome RPGs that used to be exclusive to Sony's consoles. That's probably my biggest gripe, the lack of games that really make you proud that you own the console. Uncharted 2 and God of War III are great, but what's next? If for no other reason, I am glad that I own a PS3 simply because of the Bluray player included.