Dear SquareEnix: We hate your boxarts.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

Dear Square Enix,

In an earlier thread, the official North American boxart for Final Fantasy XIII was posted. It was met with criticisms towards its over-simplicity and bland design.

Ugly and plain.

I commend the asymmetry, but that alone isn't enough to keep this cover from being one of the most boring ones I've ever seen in my life, and that's not an exaggeration.

Scianix-Black

Boring and uncreative. Plus the rating should be moved away from all the "action".Pneumonia-Hawk

In my opinion, it is boring and lacking in both creativity and imagination. Most any of us could have done better. A lot better.

Oh well...

nyc05

Since simplicity is no longer cool, it appears that your North American and PAL marketting teams have screwed up big-time. Americans don't want to stare at white; they need explosions and things that move fast.

I come to you today to offer you a better alternative. I'm certain that this new boxart better suits the ever-changing demographic of gamers you wish to supply, and will most likely push sales further than your previous estimations. Please take a good, hard look at your fanbase for next time, since they obviously trump any professional media designers you house at your company.

Simplicity is out, craziness is in:

To compare the above (badass) redesign to your recently announced, boring one, see enclosed the standard boxart below:

-

See how knowlegable we are at boxarts?

-

~Sincerely, the PlayStation 3 forums.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I like it but take out the rainbow. To be serious though, yeah the boxart is very bland but I really don't care since it will be the game that counts the most.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Maybe you hate them, but I find them to be extremely well done

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
It does seem pretty bland. But not many boxarts this gen to have really stood out imo, a few have, but a lot are boring i find.
ASLplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASLplease
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

It is simple and I like it. Could have been better but oh well.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

could be better.way.

bran_54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bran_54321
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts

Lol Chuck Norris HAD to be on it.. Haaha :lol:

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
I like the original over that redesign. Chuck Norris and his whole following is old
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hazelnutman
I like the original over that redesign. Chuck Norris and his whole following is old Doomtime
This is exactly the point I was trying to make here. We don't need flash and crazy things on boxarts. Nice and simple is a refreshing change of pace, and I personally love the official boxart for Final Fantasy XIII.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I'm not in love with the box art they chose yet.... but I really don't think it's bad at all. Nice job on the redesign though. :lol: You should definitely work in graphic design.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
[QUOTE="Doomtime"]I like the original over that redesign. Chuck Norris and his whole following is old hazelnutman
This is exactly the point I was trying to make here. We don't need flash and crazy things on boxarts. Nice and simple is a refreshing change of pace, and I personally love the official boxart for Final Fantasy XIII.

Point taken. I agree with you. I really like the official box art as well.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
The official boxart looks really nice. Not gaudy like what seems to be the trend nowadays.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

lol am i the only one who really likes it? i relly do :P its awesome!!

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

Just a couple of other fanmade concepts for comparisons:

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 raven_squad
I actually really like that last one.
Cutekitten6_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cutekitten6_18
Member since 2005 • 22640 Posts

I'd rather it just be a white case with the title and logo

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I actually really like that last one. raven_squad

Agreed, the last one sure is good but im not kidding i find the official one to be really good

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

Just a couple of other fanmade concepts for comparisons:

TehSonofUgly

The top one is beyond ugly. Cluttered, busy, and confusing.

The bottom one is a little better, if only they had removed the XIII in the background as well as the phantom image behind it.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
i'm surprised you haven't enhanced her "physical characteristics"... anyway, i also like the official box art. I mean, it could be better, but it's fine as-is.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I would totally buy a game with that cover.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Speak for yourself, TC.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raven_squad

Speak for yourself, TC.

Shad0ki11
You may need to adjust your sarcasm detector.
Avatar image for Kid_Notorious07
Kid_Notorious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kid_Notorious07
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

They let their games speak louder than boxart

randino84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 randino84
Member since 2009 • 457 Posts

I actually really like that last one. raven_squad

agreed square enix needs to hire the person who made that

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

I honestly love the boxart. That's my favorite pose of Lightning (see avatar :P) so I have no complaints. It would have been better with the pink gradient as opposed the to the gray gradient, but I still won't complain. It's not quite as eccentric as past NA SE boxarts hve been, but its still got enough to be visually pleasing so I think the simpler art is a welcome change. I always found the plain white background with the logo to be too bland, but with the character art in addition to the logo I think its looks nice.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I like the official boxart.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

Speak for yourself, TC.

You may need to adjust your sarcasm detector.

Yeah, for anyone who hasn't picked up on it yet, the entire first post is a giant piece of sarcasm pie. Simplicity is sometimes better, and in this case, I love how clean the entire design looks. They have this hugely anticipated goldmine, and instead of creating some sort of over-done or epic art for it, they instead create something of extreme contrast to its Final Fantasy pedigree. I love it.
joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Ya, count me as one who likes the boxart. Simple, clean, yet "eye-catching" enough to stand out. There's a little room for improvement, but overall, I like it.

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Lol i like the square enix one.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

well the thing is, if you look at all the other final fantasies, especially 1-6 the covers were plain and white but the artwork was hand drawn (maybe watercolored) and it had an artistic flair to it. this.... this is just a cgi shot of a character in the game and while the character is assuredly important in the game, is that the defining point of the game? i thought the game was also supposed to be part of the new tale of the crystals, if so can we not get something with them tied into it. i don't have photoshop but i'm pretty sure i could puta transparent crystal artwork from a previous game over that cover and add some luminescence and that would give it some more flair without being over the top or tacky.

from a longtime and now questioning fan, i give you square an F for effort.

i really like the last one on the first page by xxdunexx, the dark one, that works well. somebody give that man a job already.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 raven_squad
The more I look at the art they went with, the more I like it actually. It's really growing on me.
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

Im surprised no one has commented on the simplicity of some of the MGS games cover art; namely, MGS1 and most recently MGS4 (non LE ed.) Now THATS simplicity at its finest! I have no problem with the box art at all, maybe if she was ugly that would be one thing :P

But I must say the Gurren sunglasses and mushroom cloud are pretty stellar...

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

I like the SE cover for the game. glad they went the minimalist route, no need to put all that extra crap in there. though honestly I would have preferred it to just be the name and emblem. simple clean classy.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Yeah, it's really bland and boring, I understand it's the game that counts, but, come on, it's a Final Fantasy game and it deserves a better box art.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

To be honest, when it comes to Final Fantasy. I prefer the all white look, the logo and the (forgot his name) usual artwork around that logo. I think it's a better look personally.

Just this in the center:

The rest is white.

I think it's current one looks a little "lame" because it just feels like some amature photoshop job. It is very basic. But I think my suggestion speaks more "volume" compared to this. Like a stylish book of some kind.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

The Kamina glasses.

That's all you needed to add to this boxart and I would've gladly eaten my words.

I lol'd hard.

Anyway, here's my argument:

Simplicity is nice. I can enjoy simplicity, but the problem with that boxart is that it's too simple.

I can take simplicity, but when you make the background the same pigment as the majority of the character's clothing it just comes off, as everyone in the other thread claimed, boring. From an artistic standpoint, the message is being sent that "we're not worried about grabbing people's attention because people will buy this game just for the name on the front" and it makes Square Enix look really cocky.

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

ahaha that was awesome !

AnthonyLuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AnthonyLuu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts

it's not bad, a lot better than killzone 2's faceshot.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hazelnutman

The Kamina glasses.

That's all you needed to add to this boxart and I would've gladly eaten my words.

I lol'd hard.

Anyway, here's my argument:

Simplicity is nice. I can enjoy simplicity, but the problem with that boxart is that it's too simple.

I can take simplicity, but when you make the background the same pigment as the majority of the character's clothing it just comes off, as everyone in the other thread claimed, boring. From an artistic standpoint, the message is being sent that "we're not worried about grabbing people's attention because people will buy this game just for the name on the front" and it makes Square Enix look really cocky.

Scianix-Black
I guess that's where we reach our impact. I don't think this boxart reeks of cockiness at all. Think about it this way: let's say that this really good athlete is in the track and field team where most of the guys are wearing these new Nike shoes - complete with balance-adjusting doodads and shock-absorbing springs. The good athlete decides to show up for practice and instead chooses to wear a simple pear of sneakers he bought for 20 dollars at the supermarket - no name, no brand, no features. Just for having a rep for being good and showing up simple doesn't mean that he's thinking, "I'm not worried about my simple shoes because people will lose to me just because I'm fast" and being cocky. Maybe modest, but do you really think Square purposely made a simple boxart in an act of cockiness over something else they thought would better suit the game? "Oh hey, I just made this incredibly simple box art. It won't grab much attention though." "It doesn't matter - we're going to put this up even though I know something is wrong with it because we're awesome like that!" ^I doubt this was their thought-process. As for the colors, I think it goes along well with the purity and modesty the boxart is trying to present, but that's up to opinion.
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

Saved. Will print out, and insert into case when I get it.

Not a fan of the official one; I don't like 3D renders in boxart. Not like this is a new trend though.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

The question we should all be asking ourselves right now is, "Does it really matter?"

I mean come on people. As long as the game kicks a**(which I'm pretty confident it will), who cares what's on the box. I don't care if they put a picture of some chicken on the front, as long as the games good, I'm good.

ichiban30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ichiban30
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts

The question we should all be asking ourselves right now is, "Does it really matter?"

I mean come on people. As long as the game kicks a**(which I'm pretty confident it will), who cares what's on the box. I don't care if they put a picture of some chicken on the front, as long as the games good, I'm good.

KH-mixerX

Word! I will probably spend a total of 1 minute looking at the box... cuz once it gets within 5 feet of my ps3 thegame will be in and the box will be on the shelf.. never to be seen again for many many hours/days...

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
i could have sworn this was the EU box art
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
lol TC looks like this puts this topic to bed http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6051 clearly states EUROPEAN box art
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="reaver-x"]lol TC looks like this puts this topic to bed http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6051 clearly states EUROPEAN box art

Objection: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1050898p1.html "So to hold fans over, Square-Enix revealed the North American box art for the game." Also note the ESRB rating, which indicates that it is a North American cover.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I think people who make a big deal out of the boring box need to chill. Atleast it is not the other way around. OMG AWESOME box and bland game.
SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
thread is full of teh lulz. i was always used to the simplicity, and loved it =]
get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

TehSonofUgly

That one's the best.