connecting two ps3s

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lkhjdfshjahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lkhjdfshjahf
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

is there any way to connect two ps3s and play a game offline

beinss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 beinss
Member since 2004 • 1838 Posts
Connect two PS3s togeather? I think that may cause a rip in the space time continum with the amount of power there. Lol jk, u can do that. u should be able to just plug one ethernet port to the other with a ethernet cable. If its more that two u will need a router.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts
most games support LAN play, but i believe you still need internet for that
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts
I would think connecting the two with an ethernet cable would be all you'd need to do that.....
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

You can't use a regular ethernet cable to connect two systems directly together. You'll either have to use a system link / cross-over cable, or you'll have to get a gaming hub / switch for connecting multiple systems. Great for LAN gaming parties.

I recommend the gaming hub because you can add it to your home router via the uplink port and won't have to actually make any changes (unless the router is using static IP address with a limited range).

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

.....can you find gaming hubs and crossover cables at retail stores?

siwelcram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 siwelcram
Member since 2008 • 1183 Posts

is there any way to connect two ps3s and play a game offline

lkhjdfshjahf
Most games have LAN. I own 2 PS3's and connect them sometimes. I have done LAN with Resistance, Warhawk, Motorstorm. It is OK I guess. The only time I ever do it anymore, is to settle a serious grudge match mano a mano. It is much better to go online wiht many rahter than just one opponent. On the negative side I had to boost my DSL to the max (FIOS where are you when I need you) which is about $45 a month to accomodate 2 PS3's and a computer. Plus at $59.99 a pop buying two copies of a lot of games is driving me to the poor house.
Avatar image for 2headedhawaiian
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 2headedhawaiian
Member since 2005 • 1531 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?
siwelcram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 siwelcram

Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?2headedhawaiian

Let's see. If I took PS3 A controller and tried to use it on PS3 B system, I would have to plug it in with a usb cable and boot up PS3 B and it would recognise the controller. Sometimes you have to do it twice.

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts
You do need an online connection to LAN PS3's. Just connect 'em to the same router, either wired or wirelessly and you should be fine. You shouldn't need hubs and crossover cables etc. Just make sure they can both connect to the PSN and go.
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
If you've got CAT 5 ethernet internet throughout your house like I have then you just select LAN game in the game. I've done it several times.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?2headedhawaiian

When a controller is registered to one console it won't even work on the other console. The controller can only be registered to one console at a time. So this wouldn't even be a issue using two systems on the same LAN.

siwelcram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siwelcram

[QUOTE="2headedhawaiian"]Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?jimm895

When a controller is registered to one console it won't even work on the other console. The controller can only be registered to one console at a time. So this wouldn't even be a issue using two systems on the same LAN.

That's what I said.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
[QUOTE="jimm895"]

[QUOTE="2headedhawaiian"]Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?siwelcram

That's what I said.

The way you put it may be better than the way I did, but bottom line there both the same. Just using different terms, this could be good thing because some people don't get things worded one way but they get it worded another way. I think your example is a better example.

2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 2headedhawaiian
[QUOTE="siwelcram"][QUOTE="jimm895"]

[QUOTE="2headedhawaiian"]Just out of curiosity, how does each PS3 know which controllers are being connected to it? Do they need to be plugged in via USB when they are powered on?jimm895

That's what I said.

The way you put it may be better than the way I did, but bottom line there both the same. Just using different terms, this could be good thing because some people don't get things worded one way but they get it worded another way. I think your example is a better example.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your usage of the term "registered," but I know someone lent a sixaxis to a friend of mine (he shattered his second controller during an online game of Fifa 08...) and he had no issues connecting the other controller with his PS3.

I'm assuming that by plugging in the USB to a different PS3 will force the sixaxis to register with the new machine.

siwelcram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 siwelcram
Yes your assumption is correct. I was in Kailua-Kona June 07 and I did not see any 2 Headed Hawaiians. Just some real cute girls snatching wallets (no lie)
TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts
This has gotten a bit off topic. If you're not careful, this thread'll get owned by a Mod.
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2headedhawaiian

Yes your assumption is correct. I was in Kailua-Kona June 07 and I did not see any 2 Headed Hawaiians. Just some real cute girls snatching wallets (no lie)siwelcram

I was born in Honolulu, moved to the midwest when I was six (1990). I only have one head. It's a reference to a Neutral Milk Hotel song. Oh, and yes, watch out for the Hawaiian girl wallet snatchers... they'll get you every time.

siwelcram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 siwelcram

[QUOTE="siwelcram"]Yes your assumption is correct. I was in Kailua-Kona June 07 and I did not see any 2 Headed Hawaiians. Just some real cute girls snatching wallets (no lie)2headedhawaiian

I was born in Honolulu, moved to the midwest when I was six (1990). I only have one head. It's a reference to a Neutral Milk Hotel song. Oh, and yes, watch out for the Hawaiian girl wallet snatchers... they'll get you every time.

I could not believe my eyes. Those girls were super hot too. They even stopped to let a pedestriasn cross the street, while mocking the guy whose wallet they had stolen. Still the most beautiful place on Earth. Cannot wait to go back.
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

.....can you find gaming hubs and crossover cables at retail stores?

GEMINIVice

Yes, retail and gaming stores. Some toy stores that sell consoles may carry them.
You do need an online connection to LAN PS3's. Just connect 'em to the same router, either wired or wirelessly and you should be fine. You shouldn't need hubs and crossover cables etc. Just make sure they can both connect to the PSN and go.TheCyberKnight
Not everyone has total access to broadband, routers or even play at home. That's Y I said cross-over cable or a gaming hub.

Those of us who travel with our consoles won't take apart our home networks every time we go out of the house. So a gaming hub makes more sense (and is a lot cheaper) if you're going to a friends house and your playing off-line.

Donkeydong234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Donkeydong234
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hi there, I'm a bit new to this forum, and i know the thread died like a year ago, but with the gaming hub does it neeed to be connected to the router, or does it just sit between the two consoles...?

Also if it does have to be connected to the router does the router actually have to be connected to the internet? Because my problem is that my flatmates ps3 sits outside of the routers range, and i've tried moving the router but ceases to work...?!

Could you possibly send me a link to a gaming hub? And also a lot of what i read is very contradictory...ie cross over cables dont work or it needs to be a CAT5 crossover cable etc. can someone give me a clear answer who actually has some experience of creating the wired lan...

CHEEEERRSSSS