Can HDMI cords go "bad"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xRmRxfreakBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 xRmRxfreakBOMB
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

I just recently bought 2 6ft hdmi cords from amazon and read some reviews about them. Even though it had an everage 5 star review, it had about 5 1 star reviews saying that after a while, the picture goes bad, or no picture at all. For all of you that have an hdmi and ps3 set up, have you ever heard of and hdmi cord going "bad"? If so, how often does it happen?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#2 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...
blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...lightleggy
MGO always go black for me (Metal gear online right?) but yes anything can get *bad* even hdmi cords, but it will last a long time.
Chet_Won

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chet_Won
Member since 2009 • 644 Posts

Yep its called my stupid dog its ate 2 hdmi cords, and 2 usb cords plus it ate a bag of tortilla chips and my icee last night

PsiCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PsiCrisis
Member since 2009 • 216 Posts

I've never had an HDMI cable go bad. Or any cable for that matter, aside from a controller wire that my dog chewed on many years ago :P

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I'm assuming any wire can go bad in time due to wear and tear but hdmi should last long if you don't move them too much or bend them, stuff like that.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Any cord can go bad. If you just hook the thing up and never touch it, I think it would be extremely unlikely that it would fail. Usually as a cord sits around for years, the insulation may get stiff, and when you bend it the conductor may break. I've got some cheaper-than-dirt HDMI cables from Amazon and they're working just fine.

In-Flamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 In-Flamez
Member since 2008 • 426 Posts

It's 5 dollars from amazon, you can buy another.

But they dont go bad fast.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Everything goes bad eventually.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...blabbyboy
MGO always go black for me (Metal gear online right?) but yes anything can get *bad* even hdmi cords, but it will last a long time.

I think you have a different issue which also happened to my cousin, when you put MGO, it wont load, I think you can fix that by re-installing what im talking about is that while playing MGO, IN THE MIDDLE OF A MATCH, the screen EVENTUALLY goes black for 5 seconds, after that the image returns

btw, my HDMI cable costed me 80 bucks, seriously!

I got it when I bought my LCD, it was an arab guy store, arabians are always great commerciants, the guy did gave me a huge discount on the TV...then he said "you dont have HDMI cable??? I will sell you this one, this is the one officialy provided by sony, great for the tv you are buying, full 1080p without any problem! it cost 80 bucks!"

I felled for it, I didnt found any "SONY" engraving on the cable, and it didnt had gold in the jack, but I dont really blame him, the TV was 500 dollars, he gave the tv to me for 420 dollars, so the guy obviously said "im gonna retrieve those 80 bucks..." and he sold the cable for 80 bucks :P

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
The likelihood that your HDMI cable will go bad is inconceivably low if it's not bent/and or unplugged/plugged in frequently. I've had the same cable's for well over a year now and have never experienced an issue, and don't expect to for the life of the console.
octobermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 octobermagic
Member since 2009 • 524 Posts

I have my PS3 hooked up with an HDMI cable. Unfortunately the answer to your question is yes. Every so oftern I get no picture to my tv when my PS3 is turned on. Sometimes it would turn on but when I go to load a game from the crosbar I would just get a blue screen. I know it's not my PS3 at fault because I can see the activity light flashing. As soon as I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back into the PS3 everything is fine again.

Stuff just goes bad after a while. Nothing you can do about that. On the other hand you should check out www.monoprice.com. They have excellent deals on HDMI cables and any other cables for that matter. They won't rip you off an charge you and arm and a leg like best buy and other places do.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lightleggy

I have my PS3 hooked up with an HDMI cable. Unfortunately the answer to your question is yes. Every so oftern I get no picture to my tv when my PS3 is turned on. Sometimes it would turn on but when I go to load a game from the crosbar I would just get a blue screen. I know it's not my PS3 at fault because I can see the activity light flashing. As soon as I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back into the PS3 everything is fine again.

Stuff just goes bad after a while. Nothing you can do about that. On the other hand you should check out www.monoprice.com. They have excellent deals on HDMI cables and any other cables for that matter. They won't rip you off an charge you and arm and a leg like best buy and other places do.

octobermagic
thats what you get for buying 5 dollars cables
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...lightleggy
did you know that an aeon is 11.11 days? Weird.. i know
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...Cheesehead9099

lol well in chrono trigger an aeon its like 1000million years
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 raven_squad
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]ANYTHING can get "bad" (lets keep it in "broken" ok?) sometimes, while playing MGO, my screen goes black in the middle of a game for around 3 seconds, but only on that game so I dont think its the cable. anyways, theres a brickload of HDMI cables manufacturers, there could be one that breaks 1 day after you buy it and other that breaks 50 years, or the same cable could break 1 day or 3 aeons after you get it, its unpredictable... btw, the best HDMI cable have gold in the input, those are perfect, but one with copper is not bad either...Cheesehead9099

Interesting, because I'm fairly certain the proper definition of Aeon, or Eon, is a billion years.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It doesn't naturally deteriorate over a reasonable amount of time if that's what you're asking. It can get broken and then not work, just like everything else.
Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts
my HDMI cable has a wierd little glitch Every so often, completely random, it will have white dotts run across the bottom of the screen (one inch from the bottom) Turn the TV on then off again and it vanishes So Yes cables can go bad
kaparsapar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kaparsapar
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

i bought two 6 bucks HDMI cable from monoprice 4 years ago.. still using them.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lightleggy
you bought HDMI cables before HD/ consoles/DVD existed? weird...
EzraMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EzraMajor
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

The one that came with my 360 elite tends to lose the sound completely when you switch from a game to the dashboard or the input on the television. Like all products with the microsoft sticker it has lost the will to live early in life.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Everything has the potential of breaking, HDMI cords are no exception.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raven_squad
you bought HDMI cables before HD/ consoles/DVD existed? weird...lightleggy
Could you be more wrong? HDMI cables were out in 2003....
MrLbc71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrLbc71
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Got mine from Amazon also I thought I had a problem with the system. Tried a ne cord works fine now. Tried other cord on TV , Its bad. So yeah they can go out.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

HDMI cables either work or they don't. People write bad reviews all the time even for good products because the items were dead on arrival when they purchased it.

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts
Any well built cable should last for years if it is used properly and handled with care. However, there are several brands of cables which are notorious for how poorly they are built and how unreliable they are. One brand which is found in virtually every retailer around the nation and considered to be the absolute best is one of those brands which are well known for how they fail for no apparent reason. Also plugging in and out the cables can cause problems with the cables themselves, or the connectors on the television.
Over time, almost any cable will eventually fail. Copper will oxidize slowlyover years and eventually eat through the contact and break the circuit. But this is pretty rare and shouldn''t happen for a decade, or more, if the cable is treated properly.