Buying 60 GB used Phat....Fail?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cooperFTW
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hello guys, Am a new user and really sorry if i have violated some of the boards terms in creating this thread. My 360 Just died on me and Am considering switching sides over to the Sony PS 3. Am a bit short on cash at the moment but found a good deal in my region. A used BC 60 GB Phat[bought sometime around Jan 2008] for $190 I have seen the console and it has no visible damage,but I have been reading online that the 60Gb phat is more prone to the YLOD than anyother version of the PS3! So am I just walking into trouble by buying an error prone PS3? or is it just a case of a minor error being blown out of proportion! Please help me out guys,thanks
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
I've owned a 60 Gig PS3 Phat for about three years now (I bought it second hand as well) and it runs excellently. I don't think you have to worry.
cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cooperFTW
Forgot to add,to the 60GB owners[past or current] Have you had YLOD on your PS3?
cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cooperFTW
I've owned a 60 Gig PS3 Phat for about three years now (I bought it second hand as well) and it runs excellently. I don't think you have to worry.stevenk4k5
Thank you good sir. The person I am purchasing from has owned it for about 3 years,The fact that it hasn't failed for 3 years makes me beleive nothing should go awfully wrong after I buy it. *knocking on wood*
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'd avoid it personally. I've had 2 60GB's fail, neither lasted 18 months. Maybe your friend is lucky, I'd still shell out the extra $100 for a slim.
cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cooperFTW
I'd avoid it personally. I've had 2 60GB's fail, neither lasted 18 months. Maybe your friend is lucky, I'd still shell out the extra $100 for a slim.Floppy_Jim
2 failed PS 3 :( Damn,this is going to be hard Was all excited about getting my First PS 3,until I googled YLOD
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
I have an 80GB that hasn't given me any problems thus far. But, from what I've seen here and other forums the 60GB are the models most prone to YLOD. On the other hand, it's an electronic device... you may have zero problems with it or it may die on you in two weeks. Nature of the beast really. Unless PS2 backward compatibility is a must have for you, I don't see any reason to get the 60GB. I suggest you save your money and get a new PS3... they're much more energy efficient and will save you money on your power bill over the Phat models.
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

i got a used 60 gig three years ago, but it only lasted one year. the slims are so much more reliable it's worth the extra dough & lack of bc.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes the Playstation 3 60GB phat is a great console. Howvever be careful buying off Craigslist. or the like. Yes the 60GB phat is prone to YLOD. So be careful.

I bought my PS3 60 GB phat used from a pawn shop that tests all of there electronics.I haven't had any problems with my 60giger. Feb 2007 It has never given me any problems. Paid $250.00 so if you can get it for $190.00 do so. (hopefully you won't be stuck with a busted console) good luck

Plus it is worth it for all of the extra features of the 60 giger

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the olders model at this point because no matter what anyone says, they do have a relatively short life span. The YLOD will claim it eventually. Tis unavoidable.

gashead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gashead101
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts

Yeah I would stay away too to be honest. My 60gb was running fine, never froze or anything like that and after 3 years of use it just suddenly got the YLOD. I would personally invest that bit more and get a slim just to be safe with your investment because the older models (and in particular the orginal 20 & 60gb models) are going to be more prone to the YLOD now from simple wear and tear.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Bought my 60gb at launch.Its still running fine.
sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts

Bought my 60GB 4 years ago, running perfectly. It depends, some of them are defective and won't last more than a year, nut they one you're buying was bought in 2008 and is still working so it should be good.

Rezze16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rezze16
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts

Bought my 60GB on release, still going strong but loud as hell.

L1quidSnak3PL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 L1quidSnak3PL
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

Buying a used one might be a shot in the dark depends on how well the console was maintained and how much it was used. I would suggest to save some money and buy a new one safer in my opinion. I had a 60 GB that I bought in Jan 07 and it died on me on Apr 08 and I maintained it really well.

jocaju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jocaju
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts

I got a 60GB (brand new) on May of 2007, then I got the YLOD on Feb of 2009. Sony sent me another one and was still going strong until I got a slim. Now I'm using the slim and will sell my 60GB at some point.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I've got the BC 80gig model with an upgraded 500gig HDD in it, got it at launch of it and it still runs perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I have an original 60 gig PS3 that still works perfectly.
billybrown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 billybrown55

i don't know if you purchased it yet or not but if you have the gamestop rewards card they have a deal until may 29th that you can print a coupon for $100 off a 160 or 320 gb slim. i bought one yesterday after only having a 360 for awhile. so for only 10 bucks more you can get a new ps3 with 100 more gigs.

cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cooperFTW
Thanks for all the replies guys :) As expected it does seem to be a case of individuval luck :( The PS 3 i'll be buying has been well maintained :)

nut they one you're buying was bought in 2008 and is still working so it should be good.

sergemyster8
This is the one am banking on.
Srenjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Srenjy
Member since 2010 • 307 Posts
tc dont worry too much or you wont enjoy it, ps3 failure rate is too low, as long as your ps3 has been well mentained it will last you as you want it to, my ps1 and ps2 is still workin man, sony consoles are durable, you just gota be wise in usin it
pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

I bought the exact same thing you're looking at. 60GB used Phat.. I think it was bought near release. I've had it for around 2 years and it's working perfectly save for the noise (which is unavoidable, it's a hot country where I live.) I'm more worried about frying my AVR more than getting the YLOD honestly. Many PS3 owners here have the Phat and none (and I mean none) of my friends have had YLOD.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I don't know... I think I'd just get a little more cash to go for a slim. You get more harddrive memory that way too (and believe me, you'll need it)

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
I've had my 60 GB for about 3 years. No problems here. I don't play too too much, but it did go through about an 8 month span of 7-8 gaming hours a day just fine. As long as you get the dust out of the vents once a month and keep it in a place where it can receive proper ventilation, I think you'll be just fine.
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

I bought my 60gb on day of release years ago and not had a single problem with it. I think a lot of it depends on how you look after it. I hoovered the dust from mine every week when i hoovered my house and keep it well ventilated and dont play for long amounts of time.

Although, I have got a slim now and the old girl is retired at my girlfriends house now as a blu ray player :)

uRan_Ehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 uRan_Ehr
Member since 2007 • 3733 Posts
My phat launch PS3 is running since 23rd of March in 2007. Never had ANY issues with it at all.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

I have owned a 60GB PS3 in the past, and yes, it died on me. Dont bother with it, save up money for a Slim unit. Even though some may say their console runs excellently, it doesn't mean it's not about to die. YLOD happens suddenly, there is really no warning signs, other than your console shutting off on you while playing, but by that time, it's too late.

Seriously, dont bother.

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#28 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

I have 40GB Ps3 model since 2008 and it's running great. I won't exaggerate it, but it's still as good as new. why don't you go for the slim models?? bigger capacity, less use of power. I think you want it for the backward compatibility, but don't worry, PS3 in general is reliable if you take good care of it.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

two of my friends had phat ps3, both went to hell. that's why I bought a slim

vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Ive had my 60gb phat ps3 since january 2007 and it still runs like when i first got it, unlike my 360 that red ringed on me twice but microsoft replaced them for free so im happy about that

cooperFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cooperFTW
If the Slim was only a $100 more,I would gladly get it. The issue is a new slim in my country comes around $480 Which is about $300 more than this used console is going to cost me! $300 may not be a whole lot to most people over here and it wasn't to me until I joined my university :(
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
My 60GB is now 4 years old and runs great. I replaced the thermal compound though and open it to dust it out about once a year which I recommend doing. I would buy a slim though with a warranty if I was in your position. They use less energy and take up much less space. I also think they look nicer. You might be able to find a Killzone 3 bundle somewhere so you get a free game with your 120GB console for 299
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Bought my second hand 60GB phat almost 3 years ago (June 2008), still works damn fine.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I've had my 60 GB PS3 for almost 4 years now and I've had no major issues with it. The only thing it does is freeze if I play too long on it.
SheikLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SheikLives
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I've owned three 60 GB PS3's. (bought them all at the same time)

System 1 - Ran fine for the amount of time I HAD it. Espcially considering that I had it at my old apartment where all I had for air conditioning was a window unit in the living room. This system was then given to my nephews (not more than 2-3 months of it being in their hands, the Blu Ray Drive went out. I let it sit for a few months because I didn't believe a word of their "we didn't do anything" talk considering how many times I would go over and games would be out of cases and strewn about. Eventually took the system with me with the intention of sending them back system 3 while I worked on system 1.

That never happened because when I got it back to my apartment, something was way wrong with the HDMI port. It wouldn't recognize my tv at all. Well, in the midst of that...the blu ray drive in system 3 went out during tests to make sure it was ready to be sent back to them, so the nephews were taking a loss in this situation with no end to the frustration in sight. (Current status of System 1) Still on my floor NEEDING a laser replacement and apparently a new board. Probably going to send it in to Sony and take them up on the refurbished new version for $109

System 2 - Has run like a champ the entire time I started using it. No problems whatsoever. None. No hiccups, nothing.

System 3 - I replaced the blu ray drive and cleaned that thing out something fierce. Has been running for almost a year now with no problems. The nephews clean and buff discs like champs and take care of it better.

I know this sounds funny, but take it for what it's worth. Ofcourse the biggest part of the story is how long a system can last when adults properly care for them, but....there's another angle.

Each one of these systems came through my hands and worked fine while on my watch. THE only time I found issues or had problems with these systems was when they weren't plugged into some type of power/surge protector. Each time the blu ray drives went kaput they were always plugged directly into wall sockets. This really can't my attention with System 3. This thing was pristine. It barely hummed when turned on and the day I take it out to test it for a few minutes the drive goes dead. Not giving you your answer, just telling you....that ps3's are like a box of chocolates

Avatar image for RusianGrmReaper
RusianGrmReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RusianGrmReaper
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts

my first fat one lasted 4 hours brand new...my second one on the other hand has been going strong since i took the last one back = )

Avatar image for greensthooligan
greensthooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 greensthooligan
Member since 2008 • 426 Posts

im a 60gig owner from day 1 and my ps3 still runs like it did day 1.

and that even after playing la noire!!!:P

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

I've had ylod twice, but I don't have any plans at all to switch over to the slim.

Forgot to add,to the 60GB owners[past or current] Have you had YLOD on your PS3?cooperFTW

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Forgot to add,to the 60GB owners[past or current] Have you had YLOD on your PS3?cooperFTW

Not YLOD, but my Blu-Ray Drive crapped out on me. I'm going to point out that 60gb ps3s are really loud. I would recommend getting a slim from target for the extra $50, because if the 60gb has to be repaired then that is at least $100.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I dont think I would say error prone because the failure rate was still under 5% with the fats. I have a launch 60 and never had a problem.
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
I still have mine and it works perfect. Here is a post a while back. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28586596/i-still-got-the-60g-ps3
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
I've owned a 60 Gig PS3 Phat for about three years now (I bought it second hand as well) and it runs excellently. I don't think you have to worry.stevenk4k5
I give you about 6 months or less. Definitely will break at some point.
Avatar image for phoenix-serpent
phoenix-serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 phoenix-serpent
Member since 2008 • 654 Posts

Hello guys, Am a new user and really sorry if i have violated some of the boards terms in creating this thread. My 360 Just died on me and Am considering switching sides over to the Sony PS 3. Am a bit short on cash at the moment but found a good deal in my region. A used BC 60 GB Phat[bought sometime around Jan 2008] for $190 I have seen the console and it has no visible damage,but I have been reading online that the 60Gb phat is more prone to the YLOD than anyother version of the PS3! So am I just walking into trouble by buying an error prone PS3? or is it just a case of a minor error being blown out of proportion! Please help me out guys,thankscooperFTW
I say go for it. Once you get it; if the fan goes really loud sometimes for long durations; change the thermal paste inside it (thermal paste itself costs around $15 or so). It will be as good as new. It's coming from a person who did the same :p I have a backward compatible 60GB PS3 (Launch model). I changed the thermal paste just 2 months ago because the fan had turned into a jet engine. Best thing i ever did. The PS3 is like it should be; no more fear of YLoD and whisper quiet.

Edit: and sometimes; i used to play for up to 8-10 hours straight. Nowadays, still play it a lot; around 2-3 hours a day.

TheFlash3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheFlash3D
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts

i still got my release ps3 ( 60 gig ) :D, playing on it daily and havent had any problem at all!

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i got a ps3 40gb for 60$

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I had my system since December of 2006 and have had no problems except for the controller. People saying that the system will die eventually are corret, but every electronic will die out at some point. Just because some people have had problems does not mean that you will. For some reason, people think the 60GB is cursed. Every console could get the yellow light of death. The slim hasn't been out as long as the 60GB has, so naturally people will be complaining about that model.

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"]I've owned a 60 Gig PS3 Phat for about three years now (I bought it second hand as well) and it runs excellently. I don't think you have to worry.Adziboy
I give you about 6 months or less. Definitely will break at some point.

You freaking jinxed me! My 60 Gig has just started having issues associated with overheating. Things like stretched polygons (poling), crazy texture glitching, stuttering, and a random freeze here and there. :(
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
I've had zero problems with my 60gb ps3 in the 3 years I've had it. You'll be fine as long as you take good care of it.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Well it's only SLIGHTLY more prone than the slim to the YLOD. ONLY slightly, like I'm guessing only half a year longer than the 2.5 years it takes the ps3 phat to get a YLOD. How do I know? B/c I know slims that have gotten the YLOD of death also, and it doesn't seem too much more sturdier than the ps3 phat.

For reference, I have my original 60gb phat die twice of me TWICE due to YLOD -- about 2.5-3 years, and after 4/5 months after sony fixed it (DO NOT get it repaired by sony, it's much more worth it to buy a new slim (I now have a slim).

The ps3 phat is a great machine, and I will once again get it refurbished down the road. It's much more convenient then the slim sometimes, just b/c of the meager 2 usb ports the slim has and its lack of memory card slots AND backwards compatibility. I say enjoy your PS3 fat while you can (and backup your data onto an external harddrive every week), and then once it YLOD'd, sell it if you want to. That's just my opinion though

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
no its not a "fail" just be cautious