Blu-Ray done!?!?!

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
[QUOTE="d14m23"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="willz822"]

Like I said, I will hold off making a final judgement but 2 things make me think that it is for Blu-Ray.

1) TDK has supported Blu-Ray from the beginning.

2) The 2 chinese characters in front of HD-DVD when translated means Blu-Ray. Not blue light like someone else on this thread has mentioned.

We'll just have to wait and see now won't we?

hscream13

TDK's brand name was purchased by Imation on 4/19/2007, Imation is part of the HD-DVD group http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=20243

The symbol 藍光 means blue. That's it use google translator if you dont belive me. Or Bablefish

Google the above symbols, and you get this:

藍光- Wikipedia

- 簡 - [ 轉為繁體網頁 - Translate this page ]

CLICK on "Translate this page"

[/QUOTE

Check out the "Bluray Player" forum at AVSFORUM.COM

85% of the Bluray forum believes it's about HD-DVD. The freaking Bluray forum!! If i made this poll in the HD-DVD forum at avsforum.com then it would have been over 95% thinking it's about HD-DVD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10359337&posted=1#post10359337

I just wanted to let you know that by you own link Imation can only produce recording products under TDK's name. And I quote,"Imation will acquire TDK brand recording media business and use of TDK brand name for current and future recording media products including magnetic tape, optical media, flash media and accessories." Which means that Imation, which only makes recording media anyways, can not make anything else under TDK's name. And I quote, "According to the agreement, TDK will retain its R&D, manufacturing and OEM business. The boards of directors of both companies have approved the transaction."

So who cares what anybody says on any forum. As of right now TDK only supports Blu-Ray and until they state otherwise there is no reason to believe that they would make a HD-DVD player.

i just used google and it means "indigo light"

Let the kid drown in da nile 

d14m23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 d14m23
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
[QUOTE="d14m23"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="willz822"]

Like I said, I will hold off making a final judgement but 2 things make me think that it is for Blu-Ray.

1) TDK has supported Blu-Ray from the beginning.

2) The 2 chinese characters in front of HD-DVD when translated means Blu-Ray. Not blue light like someone else on this thread has mentioned.

We'll just have to wait and see now won't we?

m3Boarder32

TDK's brand name was purchased by Imation on 4/19/2007, Imation is part of the HD-DVD group http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=20243

The symbol 藍光 means blue. That's it use google translator if you dont belive me. Or Bablefish

Google the above symbols, and you get this:

藍光- Wikipedia

- 簡 - [ 轉為繁體網頁 - Translate this page ]

CLICK on "Translate this page"

[/QUOTE

Check out the "Bluray Player" forum at AVSFORUM.COM

85% of the Bluray forum believes it's about HD-DVD. The freaking Bluray forum!! If i made this poll in the HD-DVD forum at avsforum.com then it would have been over 95% thinking it's about HD-DVD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10359337&posted=1#post10359337

I just wanted to let you know that by you own link Imation can only produce recording products under TDK's name. And I quote,"Imation will acquire TDK brand recording media business and use of TDK brand name for current and future recording media products including magnetic tape, optical media, flash media and accessories." Which means that Imation, which only makes recording media anyways, can not make anything else under TDK's name. And I quote, "According to the agreement, TDK will retain its R&D, manufacturing and OEM business. The boards of directors of both companies have approved the transaction."

So who cares what anybody says on any forum. As of right now TDK only supports Blu-Ray and until they state otherwise there is no reason to believe that they would make a HD-DVD player.

Da Nile is not just a large river in Africa ;)

I am not denying anything. Just shooting holes in your arguement by using your own link that you obviously did not read.  And stating the fact that TDK supports Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD.  TDK can jump ship if they want but I doubt that they will since Blu-Ray is doing just as good as HD-DVD if not better.

d14m23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 d14m23
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
Plus here is another quote for you, "Blu-Ray discs also have an advantage in durability, thanks to a special hard-coating developed by TDK. While CD and DVD media (and, presumably, HD-DVD) can be scratched by wiping with a tissue, Blu-Ray discs can reportedly withstand attack from a screwdriver." It is from http://www.projectorcentral.com/hddvd_bluray.htm  Now, why would TDK not support something that it put time and money into developing already and suddenly jump ship supporting something that is in direct competition with it at a risk of losing its prior investment.
swordfish_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 swordfish_64
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts
just admit it you know blu-ray is going to win and be the dominant player in the movie, game, recordable storage drives and recordable media business. And the discs are scratch resistant - how can u top that
mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts

just admit it you know blu-ray is going to win and be the dominant player in the movie, game, recordable storage drives and recordable media business. And the discs are scratch resistant - how can u top that swordfish_64

Exactly this news just postpones the inevitable.  Just die already, so we can progress this technology faster.   

solidscryer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 solidscryer
Member since 2005 • 5661 Posts
I bet you, half of them will be returned the next day :P
dragon_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 dragon_1111
Member since 2004 • 63 Posts
http://www.projectorcentral.com/hddvd_bluray.htm

"Current supporters of HD-DVD include Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, and Microsoft, in addition to New Line Cinema, Paramount, Universal, Time-Warner, and the official approval of the DVD Forum."

"Current support for Blu-Ray includes PC makers Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony, and electronics giants Hitachi, LG, Mitsubishi Electric, **** Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, TDK, and Thomson. Add to this the support by movie studios such as Columbia TriStar, Sony Pictures and MGM (all three owned by Sony), 20th Century Fox, Lions Gate Entertainment, and Disney, as well as video game makers Electronic Arts and Vivendi Universal Games, and the bastion of support for Blu-Ray looks formidable indeed."

Does that mean that 300 (the movie) will come out only on hd-dvd or will it come out before blu-ray on hd-dvd? 

Ontario21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 Ontario21
Member since 2004 • 374 Posts
PS3 owners can end this war! All they would need to do is buy at least one Blu-Ray movie a month. If they all did this HD-DVD would die. I say it's time to end this war!
iMacBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 iMacBot
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts
Good thing we live in democracies or else these corporations would declare war on each other!
iMacBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110 iMacBot
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

PS3 owners can end this war! All they would need to do is buy at least one Blu-Ray movie a month. If they all did this HD-DVD would die. I say it's time to end this war!Ontario21

I got my first today! I'm pissed that a lot of good movies are HD-DVD only, those bastards! Lol. 

Vanine_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 Vanine_28
Member since 2007 • 572 Posts

Hmmm..wal marts strategy has always been based on low prophit with high valume sales. This is going to change the way the market looks at Blu-Ray , some people will start to think maybe its not the #1 format.

Wal mart buys and manufactures  buy the millions . it would only take the compatition a couple months to catch up to us and even surpass us in sales (if infact its true about the unit being only $200 - $300). Just think about how many wal marts there are vrs how many units they will have in there stores. Millions of players everyware all spread out overnight.The compatition would  destroy us in slaes.

I new something was comeing from one of these companys, those SOB's. First the dual players now this. theres going to be way to much of the compation out there. Wal mart is king and always has been.our compatition has a new army backing them up, and its alot biger and is going to cover alot more territory(in turms with the market, not locations)

People must have thought i was crazy when i posted how sonys constent set backs have alowed the compatition to catch up and get there foot in the door. I new that there was going to be some company lerking in the background waiting to pounce, i just never would have thought that it would be wal mart. thats one tuff predator.

The beast is out come the end of 2007 !!

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
if your buying aything HD right now, your not buying it because its cheap. besides its all about the movies, and blu ray has them all, except for the tomb raider movies, whcih arent really exciting.
theshadow1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 theshadow1212
Member since 2004 • 490 Posts
OMG buy all blu-rays now!
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#114 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
Personally, I don't care what the prediction is. I own a PS3 which has blu ray playback. I will NOT buy a separate HD-DVD player. If Blu Ray goes under, I would just buy the rest of my movies in regular DVD format. HD-DVD no way.
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
By that time the format war will be over,Blu-ray is outselling HDDVD 9:2 now.
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

hey, watch this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25583251

On April 15th, members of the AVS Forum organized a HD-DVD buying spree with the hopes of overtaking the monthly dominated Blu-ray sales. AVS members chose April 15th because it would mark the one year anniversary of HD-DVD. This structured spending spree was clearly labeled a success as retailers witnessed thousands of HD-DVD titles being bought off of Amazon and other major HD-DVD retailers such as Best Buy.

In retaliation, the
Blu-ray camp and PlayStation fanbase, out of surprise at the success of the stunt, decided to hold their own "Buy-A-Thon," but vowed to accomplish even greater sales numbers...

Light Blue = Blu-ray
Black = Hd-dvd

zeeerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 zeeerrr
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

hey, watch this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25583251

On April 15th, members of the AVS Forum organized a HD-DVD buying spree with the hopes of overtaking the monthly dominated Blu-ray sales. AVS members chose April 15th because it would mark the one year anniversary of HD-DVD. This structured spending spree was clearly labeled a success as retailers witnessed thousands of HD-DVD titles being bought off of Amazon and other major HD-DVD retailers such as Best Buy.

In retaliation, the
Blu-ray camp and PlayStation fanbase, out of surprise at the success of the stunt, decided to hold their own "Buy-A-Thon," but vowed to accomplish even greater sales numbers...

Light Blue = Blu-ray
Black = Hd-dvd

SambaLele

yum

Vanine_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Vanine_28
Hey zero_space , i noticed that you have R2D2 as your pic. If your a fan of star wars, would you wach it on HD-DVD if it only came out on it.

nmmaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 nmmaron
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

Who cares Blu-ray has the rights to a crap load of more titles and hd dvd is not releasing as many. So, Blu ray is still gonna win.

Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#120 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
Hey zero_space , i noticed that you have R2D2 as your pic. If your a fan of star wars, would you wach it on HD-DVD if it only came out on it.

Vanine_28

Well,I love the Star Wars movies, but if it only came out on HD-DVD, I probably wouldn't bother, as that would be the only set of movies I'd be getting an HD-DVD for, so not really worth it. I have all the movies on regular DVD, and while I admit, I'd love to see them in HD quality, I'm not going to buy a separate player just for that.

bakalah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 bakalah
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I dont know whether anyone posted this already, but i thought TDK was on the blu-ray committee as they and sony are the ones who developed the very technology that coats the blu-ray disc with a protective layer etc. i think they developed like the 100 gig blu ray disc also or whatever. but basically i thought tdk was one of the HUGE supporters of blu ray so this doesnt make any sense as to why theyd be helping to produced hd dvd players. did anyone else realize this and can anyone else answer this question or correct me if im wrong. thank you very much.
gimlifn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#122 gimlifn
Member since 2005 • 621 Posts

Stupid post blu-ray isn't done its the new next gen format that will win over HD-DVD and even if it doesn't it still is alot better.

jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#123 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts

I dont know whether anyone posted this already, but i thought TDK was on the blu-ray committee as they and sony are the ones who developed the very technology that coats the blu-ray disc with a protective layer etc. i think they developed like the 100 gig blu ray disc also or whatever. but basically i thought tdk was one of the HUGE supporters of blu ray so this doesnt make any sense as to why theyd be helping to produced hd dvd players. did anyone else realize this and can anyone else answer this question or correct me if im wrong. thank you very much.bakalah

yes TDK is on Blu-Ray's side. that why this article and debate is puzzling. TDK is said to be making the 200 gig blu-ray disc

nextgenisps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 nextgenisps3
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
actually Bluray is the winner of the next-gen format so how could it be done?!
glitch24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 glitch24
Member since 2006 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="d14m23"]This is a waste of Wal-Mart's time and money.  The HD-DVD players are already cheaper then blu-ray players but blu-ray is winning.  Plus those HD-DVD players will probably be made so cheap that they'll break constantly (maybe even worse than a     X360)Cellien
Latest online numbers show that HD-DVD sales have spiked above BluRay again... They say its due to the fact that lots of PS3 owners bought a BluRay movie to try out on their the new PS3 and the sales have dropped off a bit.

Ya gotta give a link, bud :?.

HD-DVD doesn't have that many supporters, so that's why they're considering lowering the price...so ppl will actually buy them.

Blu-Ray was selling out HD-DVD in a 2 to 1 ratio (at least), and I reckon that's how it is still going.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/videoscan-releases-hd-dvd-blu-ray-charts-results-still-inco/

It's not definite, and it's old, but it is sure that by now, blu-ray is still selling more than its competitor.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="Vanine_28"]Hey zero_space , i noticed that you have R2D2 as your pic. If your a fan of star wars, would you wach it on HD-DVD if it only came out on it.

Zero_Space

Well,I love the Star Wars movies, but if it only came out on HD-DVD, I probably wouldn't bother, as that would be the only set of movies I'd be getting an HD-DVD for, so not really worth it. I have all the movies on regular DVD, and while I admit, I'd love to see them in HD quality, I'm not going to buy a separate player just for that.

Not even a $199 HD-DVD player?!  You're not a true fan! 

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

HD-DVD in the US/Australia/Europe means, well, HD-DVD. It's pretty standard. However, in China (and I know- I live here), terms are used a lot more loosely. An easy example is a hamburger. You and I know what that is, right? Well, say that you want a hamburger here and they will pose the question, "What kind?" Many sandwiches are considered hamburgers here, so you either get a beef hamburger or a chicken hamburger (a chicken sandwich). Those who look so literally at the "HD DVD" part of that would see, "鸡肉 hamburger" and instantly declare it's a hamburger, even though it's a fried chicken sandwich.

However, something like TDK or Walmart I would take a lot more seriously. Obviously Walmart is irrelevant, but TDK being in the article lends itself to be Blu-ray. I don't know for sure, but I'll confirm with one of my students when I have dinner with her tonight. 

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

[QUOTE="d14m23"]This is a waste of Wal-Mart's time and money.  The HD-DVD players are already cheaper then blu-ray players but blu-ray is winning.  Plus those HD-DVD players will probably be made so cheap that they'll break constantly (maybe even worse than a     X360)3picuri3

yeah -- maybe as bad a ps2.

u got ur consoles mixed up fanboy 360 is the worst console ever made in the regards to reliablity

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 m3Boarder32

HD-DVD in the US/Australia/Europe means, well, HD-DVD. It's pretty standard. However, in China (and I know- I live here), terms are used a lot more loosely. An easy example is a hamburger. You and I know what that is, right? Well, say that you want a hamburger here and they will pose the question, "What kind?" Many sandwiches are considered hamburgers here, so you either get a beef hamburger or a chicken hamburger (a chicken sandwich). Those who look so literally at the "HD DVD" part of that would see, "鸡肉 hamburger" and instantly declare it's a hamburger, even though it's a fried chicken sandwich.

However, something like TDK or Walmart I would take a lot more seriously. Obviously Walmart is irrelevant, but TDK being in the article lends itself to be Blu-ray. I don't know for sure, but I'll confirm with one of my students when I have dinner with her tonight.

Vampyronight

"HD DVD" is trademarked. If they meant Blu-ray, why doesn't the word "Blu-ray" show up in the original article? If they were talking about "Blu-ray" then "Blu-ray would be in english,  and "HD DVD" would be in chinese symbols...

I see "DVD", "HD DVD", "TDK" and "Walmart" spelt in english, because they are all trademarked. But i don't see "Blu-ray" anywhere? Why is that, if "Blu-ray" is also trademarked?

Also, the end of the article is talking about how DVD production lines can be upgraded and turned into HD DVD production lines, only HD DVD can do such a thing. Completely new machines have to be purchased for Blu-ray production lines

Do you guys honestly believe this is for Bluray?  Toshiba has been talking about China producing HD-DVD players since 2005,  at CES 2007, they once again announced that Chinese HD-DVD players are coming...This shouldn't be a shock,  it should be expected..

piemister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 piemister
Member since 2006 • 604 Posts

your all forgetting something... i beleive DVD will rise again MWHAHAHAHAHAHA

i think my brain is broke :roll:

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 m3Boarder32

piemister

Go away,  im the thread ender

Caimstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Caimstro
Member since 2004 • 232 Posts
[QUOTE="piemister"]

m3Boarder32

Go away, im the thread ender

no your're not, stop posting on this meaningless thread, blu ray is not done and walmart releasing some half aszed hd dvd players is not the way to do it.
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I think this is a good thing... it'll get the price of the other players down faster.  This is gonna be a longggg format war.... sigh.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
How many people have bought Walmart's ILO brand LCD displays?  Heck I can't even find any sort of reviews or comments about them online.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 m3Boarder32

I think this is a good thing... it'll get the price of the other players down faster.  This is gonna be a longggg format war.... sigh.ajefferism

Fine with me,  i own a HD DVD player and  a BD player.  SO i want both to succeed for at least a couple years

akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
funny thing is walmart by my area pulled all hd-dvd titles from shelves. Now all you can find are BR disk. Now this. Whats next?
Vanine_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Vanine_28

I think theres only one thing that will make Blu-Ray really stand out from the compatition. Its the 50gig discs... if they had the 50 gig discs maybe they could increase there PQ by raising  the MPS and add more content matrial, Say like a PS3 game.

Example: Harry potter the movie plus the game all in one disc.

i think that would really stur up some attention

This hole thing with sony not getting there act together with there Blu-Ray disc has really allowed the compatition a solid foot in the door.

25 gigs dedicated to the movie 25 gig to the game. They could even Try going  15 for the game and 35 for the movie. I donrt really know if thats possable, they might have to split it down the middle, i dont know, but it gives you the idea im heading towards.

Also for everyone thinking Blu-Ray is done!! There isent going to be a format winner... or a loser(Maybe in a sales perspective) its going to stalemate. So get rid of this idea that Blu-Ray is done. I was peranoid for a little bit there to, but not anymore. The compatition is capt at 30 gigs. Blu-Ray will go as far as 200 Gigs in the next couple years.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 m3Boarder32

I think theres only one thing that will make Blu-Ray really stand out from the compatition. Its the 50gig discs... if they had the 50 gig discs maybe they could increase there PQ by raising  the MPS and add more content matrial, Say like a PS3 game.

This hole thing with sony not getting there act together with there Blu-Ray disc has really allowed the compatition a solid foot in the door.

25 gigs dedicated to the movie 25 gig to the game. They could even Try going  15 for the game and 35 for the movie. I donrt really know if thats possable, they might have to split it down the middle, i dont know, but it gives you the idea im heading towards.

Also for everyone thinking Blu-Ray is done!! There isent going to be a format winner... or a loser(Maybe in a sales perspective) its going to stalemate. So get rid of this idea that Blu-Ray is done. I was peranoid for a little bit there to, but not anymore. The compatition is capt at 30 gigs. Blu-Ray will go as far as 200 Gigs in the next couple years.

Vanine_28

The competition is capped at 30GB? 

I bet you anything you want that HD-DVD movies will be on a 45GB-51GB HD-DVD before BD movies are on a BD disk that exceeds 50GB.

Vanine_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Vanine_28

Well i shouldent say that they are capped, but for the moment they are. I hear people talking about a 45 Gig disc on the avsforums but i dont think its going to happen for awhile.(I was Refering to HD-DVD on previous post)

Dont you think it would make Blu-Ray have more consumer interest with a 50 Gig disc ?

I would love to watch my movie and play a game all on the same disc.:)

GloverD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 GloverD
Member since 2004 • 1555 Posts

Vanine_28
Couldnt happen a 50 gig disc alone can only handle 3.5 hours of HD Movie.
Vanine_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Vanine_28

Anyone know if they can raise the MPS when the bring out the 50 Gig discs ?