Anyone else think Heavy Rain is overrated?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ps3gameplayer
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

Well?

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I think it's overrated, it's not a bad game, it's decent, it's a unique and original concept, just poorly executed. I give it a 7.0/10

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I thought it was interesting, and definitely unique. I think the amount of praise it has received is fair. It had a few flaws and was a little boring at times, but overall I enjoyed playing it.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
Its underrated if anything, we have too many shooters this generation, we need variety and heavy rain was a different experience for me, i enjoyed it plenty.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
No I think it's a great game. It's unique and a lot of fun. A nice break from all those shooters.
Avatar image for brownpriderider
brownpriderider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brownpriderider
Member since 2004 • 311 Posts

i came in here just to write what a previous person said, it is very underrated if anything

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

Nope, don't think the game is overrated. I did like the soundtrack to the game quite a bit and story to the game. And though Scott Shelby is my least particular favorite character he did do some impressive shooting in this one seen not going to say where though.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#8 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Not in the slightest I thought it was something new and original and well worth it's praise.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#9 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I find the story overrated. Overall, it's a good game, mostly due to the excellent atmosphere, but the story itself is B-rated movie quality at best.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
it was interesting and unique...but i wouldnt put it in any "greatest" lists...
ra84ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ra84ma
Member since 2012 • 159 Posts

Like everyone say... its unique, a new concept and so on (well.. indigo propecy is kind of the same) anyways, is a great game

i actually didnt hear all the hype about it.. like some other games that everyone talks about them 2 years before they come out...

i think its a great game, slow paced.... yes! those games also exist!

if anything, overrated its Battlefield and Call of Duty... no matter what, they get a great review and sell millions... eeeeeeeveeeeeeeryyyy YEAR!

Heavy Rain is a great game... i finished and i got platinum... but yeah, its not the greatest of all time, maybe its not that FUUUUN!!!! but its unique and keep you on the edge of your sofa....

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
No way. Underrated more like it.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
heavy rain its amazing game its underrated no overrated
DevilishFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DevilishFalcon
Member since 2012 • 121 Posts

I agree with most of the people on the thread. The game is underrated. The concept is unique. The graphics are good. Storyline is surely amazing.

Not overrated

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I thought it was ok, probably not going to play it again, there were just so many slow, boring parts, where you literally have to walk and arent sure what to do, i must have spent 30 minutes babysitting the kid after his mom dropped him off, it was so bad.

Thankfully it picks up and does have some good parts, but it could use some fixing.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I thought it was ok, probably not going to play it again, there were just so many slow, boring parts, where you literally have to walk and arent sure what to do, i must have spent 30 minutes babysitting the kid after his mom dropped him off, it was so bad.

Thankfully it picks up and does have some good parts, but it could use some fixing.

crimsonman1245
I agree with you, it has some good parts but the dull moments really stand out, I can't believe that babysitting, changing babies and brushing your teeth is what gets critical acclaim these days :/
lorenzo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lorenzo11
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

Stop playing shooter all your life and try something unique and exhilarating

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
it got what it deserves it has a great story and characters, gameplay is different and refreshing change of pace
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's overrated!

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It was ok, gameplay wise, for a change of pace. The story however made me question David Cage's mental functioning.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It probably deserved the score it got on GS, but I think the game is over hyped. So not really overrated, but over hyped.

It really is nothing special. A good game, but a one and done game. The story had holes, and anyone with a half of a brain could figure out who the killer is by the half way point of the game. The controls were purposely made harder than they needed to be. I for one never felt that moving the analog stick back and forth at a certain pressure made me feel like I was shaving. These kind of movements would have been just fine with a push of the x button.

So that being said it was a good game, with an ok story, with good graphics. That's really about it. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't an exclusive it wouldn't have been hyped anywhere near as much as it was.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts
I think with the deluge (see what I did there?) of FPS and other me-too games, "Heavy Rain" is a breath of fresh air and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts
Controls were poorly executed, and the QTE fest lost its spark quite fast. I'd give it a 7-7.5. It was an alright game, but the poor writing and controls really brought the experience down for me.
Johacamigames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Johacamigames
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

It's one of my favorite games on the Playstation 3 till this day, I see nothing about it that makes it overrated, it's not like your usual shooter, plaftforming games. It's just a break of these genres with a nice story and gameplay.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

I bought it a couple weeks ago and never see anyone really talking about it, so as for that I'd have to say: no, it's not overrated at all

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I found it to be very boring.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

As others have said, a nice change of pace from the usual games coming out. Same goes for Journey, more recently.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It's an interactive movie, as a cinema lover I actually had a good time with that.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

most reviewers liked it and i didnt. if thats overrated then i guess id say so.

the biggest thing for me was that the controls were such a mess of jumbled systems that i never felt connected to the characters. but beyond that, madison was oversexualized with no character development until much later in the game, the ARI sci-fi elements felt tacked on, and the plot twist felt cheap. also, i cant even begin to understand why quantic dream cast all those european actors to speak in american accents when they clearly werent capable with whatever resources they had. god forbid they set the game in europe.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Unique and/or innovative does not necessarily indicate that something is good. In fact, it is often the opposite. And before anyone says something like, me liking call of duty or something, I really despise call of duty and hate almost all shooters and prefer non shooters.

Heavy Rain just has a very poorly written story and is so ridiculous and does not make sense. The story is like a SAW movie, but worse. And the dialogue and characters and scenarios are asinine. The identity of the killer is ludicrous and it is such a disappointment that the identity of the killer does not change, no matter what the choices you make.

So, this game is super overrated.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
It's a good game, who said it was excellent?
xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

I haven't played the game but what is overrated? Some people liked it and some people didn't. Did you maybe overhype it for yourself based on others opinion? I thought it looked interesting but just haven't gotten around to playing it.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Its a really good game, but kind of.

It has some plot holes, story threads that could have been expanded on, and the "choice" system really could have had a few more options or consequences. It would have been nice if something small like having a drink earlier could make an impact later, but mostly they saved changes for the big stuff and kept the small things in mainly for characterization.

I'd love to see a sequel focusing on a copycat killer with references to the events of the first and possibly a Mass Effect style transfer system, but Quantic Dream apparently doesn't want to do sequels for their games. A shame, but hopefully new titles they work on can be just as engaging.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#34 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No, I think it's an amazing game with unique gameplay. I've never felt emotionally attached to an experience like in Heavy Rain. Outstanding achievement.

gashead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gashead101
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts

As a game it is overrated but thats because it isnt really a game! It is very much an interactive movie. As far as the concept of it goes, its not like anything thats been properly done before. Its unique and as far as the way the way the ''player'' can determine the stories progression and outcome, it is very much underrated but as a game its overrated as the parts you actually play are what let it down (despite the loopholes in the story).

DangerRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DangerRemix
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts

Underrated game in this era. I enjoy single player games more then online play, which most shooters lack at, and definitely lacks there single player campaign cause they try to copy the cod syndrome, or just cant make a solid MP.

caketoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 caketoo
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
I like the idea of the game, I mostly enjoyed indigo prophecy back when but this game was just so annoying to me, I got about half way thru it before i just couldnt stand it anymore. The whole beginning with the kid and the mall angered me so much that i was glad he got hit by that car.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I like the idea of the game, I mostly enjoyed indigo prophecy back when but this game was just so annoying to me, I got about half way thru it before i just couldnt stand it anymore. The whole beginning with the kid and the mall angered me so much that i was glad he got hit by that car. caketoo

The kid was a great example of natural selection.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I love the game. It strikes a nice balance between gameplay and relaxation. It's the kind of game you can just chill and play (and enjoy). I like that once in awhile, and don't see enough games like it these days.

FNogueira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 FNogueira
Member since 2010 • 73 Posts

I don't think it is overrated. Some companies liked it too much a some don't. Is a medium game, just it. With a different gameplay. Made a sequel could revolutionise the industry (or not)

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

not really. its a good game as long as you have expectations that match it. i thoroughly enjoyed the story, the game mechanics were perfect imo. doing qte actually heightened the tension of me.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Its underrated if anything, we have too many shooters this generation, we need variety and heavy rain was a different experience for me, i enjoyed it plenty.AgentA-Mi6

This. I'm glad that some companies still make original games like Heavy Rain and not some generic FPS.

TheIpodBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 TheIpodBoy
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

it doesn't earn the title of great, but it was OK.

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

Its underrated if anything, we have too many shooters this generation, we need variety and heavy rain was a different experience for me, i enjoyed it plenty.AgentA-Mi6

This, it was and it is a breath of fresh air !!!

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

na i really enjoyed it.. and the journey it took you thro.. it is definatly a change of pace.. and one of the few games that i have played with the move which i thought worked quite well.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Well?

ps3gameplayer
Not really. Heavy Rain is probably one of the best games in its genre and one of the few innovative games we have seen in a long time. And it gets a 10/10 just for not being a Call of duty/Battlefield 3.
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

I think its overrated in terms of it literally for me had zero replay value but on the one playthrough I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very different and to have a game thats really unlike anything else these days is a rare as unicorn poo.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I think it's great for what it is. I think that "overrated" threads are incredibly overrated though.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Wait. Why do people think this is a good game?

Not even speaking of plot holes, the story is one of the worst stories in anything I have ever seen. It's like a SAW movie, but worse. You would think that a game that relies on a story, would actually, you know, have a good story.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

Wait. Why do people think this is a good game?

Not even speaking of plot holes, the story is one of the worst stories in anything I have ever seen. It's like a SAW movie, but worse. You would think that a game that relies on a story, would actually, you know, have a good story.

soundcellx

because some people play game to enjoy them and not to pick holes in everything we see...

but each to their own i say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI