Anyone else hate MSG4's boss battle with Liquid?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dante82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dante82
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts
I played the final boss battle several times this evening and could not get past it. I really hate the third stage where Liquid grabs you. I'm sure through trial and error I'll finally pass it, but I do not find it enjoyable at all. The response time seems incredibly slow. Also you'll dodge one of Liquid's punches and do a counter and it does a stupid little cutscene where they both punch each other, even though Liquid was off balance and could have never recovered to punch you. It kind of makes me not want to even play through to the end. Overall, this game was not as fun as Dark Sector, Call of Duty 4, or Resistance.
dante82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dante82
Sorry, of course I meant MGS not MSG in the title.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
It was epic.
NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

i thought the final boss isnt that hard i think hes one of the easier bosses in the game to me

also MGS4 is one of the best games ever and the best game on the PS3

footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts
um no that was the best boss fight. it was so cool
watson_twenty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 watson_twenty5
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
I don't know, man. I didn't really have any problems with it. It's not meant to be a quick fight. It's meant to be epic as theycallmeryan says. So there's gonna be some give and take.
pwnmachine244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 pwnmachine244
Member since 2008 • 536 Posts

Yeah, I did hate that fight, but once you learn all of the fighting controls, it gets really fun.

HINT: Hold down R1 and grab Luquid, then while you're holding him, tap triangle rapidly. You'll start choking Liquid.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts
I thought it was one of the best parts of the game.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I loved that part frankly.
Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts
I loved it, sometimes I just load up that save file and play it real quick before heding off to work/classes.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts
I didn't have too much trouble with him (on easy :oops: ) but the fight did all around suck. It just felt rather anticlimatic. I mean, yeah sure, it's liquid and it's a throw back to the days of yore (read: MGS 1) but none the less. I get all the way through the game and fight some pretty memorable bosses with their own intricacies and tactics and it all ends with a fight that consists of three buttons and throw backs to old songs? I mean seriously?! WTF was that? I want something kick a**, difficult, and intricate. And after that stupid mash the triangle button mini-game? What happened there? It's like Konami busted a** for the first portion of the game and just went "meh" when it came to finish it!
vivelaps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vivelaps3
Member since 2007 • 1060 Posts

MGS 4 *** not MG 4

***failed

SadCephalopod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SadCephalopod
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I thought it was a great fight. I thought it was cool how at the end of the MGS series, you go back to the roots and fight liquid again in CQC. I had no problems with the fight. Liquid didn't touch me once.
csqwared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 csqwared
Member since 2005 • 986 Posts

It was epic.theycallmeryan
Exactly what I said :P.

I can't think of a game that ended more epic-ly that MGS4, that was absolutely awesome, and it showed how the game has advanced over the years.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Wow, this thread fails. Your thread title is a spoiler...seriously.. you just spoiled it for a lot of people who hasnt played MGS4...
Marked_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marked_Man
Member since 2003 • 236 Posts
Hate it? This was probably the greatest boss battle ever.When "Snake Eater" started playing on the third lifebar,I almost pooped myself from excitement.Kojima did a great job with the directing,I loved the slowmotion and close ups on the heavy punches that were thrown.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Dude that part kicked major *** man.

My favorite part of that fight was the third part.:P

splodge200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 splodge200
Member since 2004 • 139 Posts

yeah! coz it so wasnt obvious that snake was gonna fight liquid!!!!! u have ruined my life!

*cough*

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#19 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I played the final boss battle several times this evening and could not get past it. I really hate the third stage where Liquid grabs you. I'm sure through trial and error I'll finally pass it, but I do not find it enjoyable at all. The response time seems incredibly slow. Also you'll dodge one of Liquid's punches and do a counter and it does a stupid little cutscene where they both punch each other, even though Liquid was off balance and could have never recovered to punch you. It kind of makes me not want to even play through to the end. Overall, this game was not as fun as Dark Sector, Call of Duty 4, or Resistance.dante82

WHAT?!?!?!? Ok, obviously you'll never realize how awesome MGS4, and that boss battle in particular, really are. The game is all about storytelling, emotion, and great gameplay. How can you judge a game when you havent even completed it??

chaosmage72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chaosmage72
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts
that fight was freakin awesome >.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

Wow, this thread fails. Your thread title is a spoiler...seriously.. you just spoiled it for a lot of people who hasnt played MGS4...Elann2008

Ok, now I'm normally all against the "spoiler in the title" horse crap that oh-so-many-people fail to consider, but this particular one should've been pretty obvious. It's liquid, snake, and it's the last MGS title with snake. Of course you're going to fight him. Everyone should've seen this fight coming:)

Marked_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Marked_Man
Member since 2003 • 236 Posts

[QUOTE="dante82"]I played the final boss battle several times this evening and could not get past it. I really hate the third stage where Liquid grabs you. I'm sure through trial and error I'll finally pass it, but I do not find it enjoyable at all. The response time seems incredibly slow. Also you'll dodge one of Liquid's punches and do a counter and it does a stupid little cutscene where they both punch each other, even though Liquid was off balance and could have never recovered to punch you. It kind of makes me not want to even play through to the end. Overall, this game was not as fun as Dark Sector, Call of Duty 4, or Resistance.hillelslovak

WHAT?!?!?!? Ok, obviously you'll never realize how awesome MGS4, and that boss battle in particular, really are. The game is all about storytelling, emotion, and great gameplay. How can you judge a game when you havent even completed it??

I know everyone has their opinion,but when he said Dark Sector ...I laughed to myself.Snake would give Hayden a smile on his throat.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
It's the most epic moment in the whole game. You fail
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

i thought the final boss isnt that hard i think hes one of the easier bosses in the game to me

NuKkU

Too bad you couldn't get into it. I found it to be fun and challenging.

DString[] - brought to you by TripleTags.com

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

I thought it was one of the best parts of the game. There's just so much nostalgia from the songs, the health bars, the throwback to fighting Liquid in MGS1. Its a story that spans the entire globe and is about some very heady mutually assured destruction conflicts. Its about how AI and electronic resources govern so much of our lives and how we allow it to do so. A story that spans personal relationships across decades.

All that, and the fight boils down to nothing more than an old grudge between two "brothers". Its just such an emotional and beautifully crafted moment. From the visual presentation, to the musical climax, to the idea of two very old, very tired men deciding their destinies based on little more than their combat experience and, most importantly, their fists.

I think its one of the best boss fights ever concieved.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I thought all the boss fights in MGS4 were pretty simple, especially the boss battle with Liquid. I did feel like I was playing VF or something, though.
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
So much emotion, one of the best boss battles ever. If not the best boss battle ever.I mean it was everything I wanted it to be the perfect amount of intensity, challenge, history, and an utter sense of satisfaction to be a part of and win. Sorry you fail.
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts

I thought it was one of the best parts of the game. There's just so much nostalgia from the songs, the health bars, the throwback to fighting Liquid in MGS1. Its a story that spans the entire globe and is about some very heady mutually assured destruction conflicts. Its about how AI and electronic resources govern so much of our lives and how we allow it to do so. A story that spans personal relationships across decades.

All that, and the fight boils down to nothing more than an old grudge between two "brothers". Its just such an emotional and beautifully crafted moment. From the visual presentation, to the musical climax, to the idea of two very old, very tired men deciding their destinies based on little more than their combat experience and, most importantly, their fists.

I think its one of the best boss fights ever concieved.

jmangafan

This post is perfect. 10/10. Exactly what I was trying to say.

NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts
[QUOTE="NuKkU"]

itwiz90

Too bad you couldn't get into it. I found it to be fun and challenging.

DString[] - brought to you by TripleTags.com

no i loved it he just said it was hard and i was saying i didnt think it was that hard the final boss fight was epic i mean any boss fight that has the snake eater song is epic i mean i love that song

dante82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dante82

Okay, sorry for the title if that did spoil it for anyone. I guess I just assumed that most everyone who gets it knows that will happen. I understand what everyone is saying about it being an epic showdown. As with all of MGS4 it looks fantastic. Maybe if I would have beat it early on I would have liked it better. I think I just got frustrated. But come on, do you really not think the controls suck? It feels so unresponsive at times. While the game was definitely really good overall, the gameplay isn't the best ever. You basically play this game for the storyline. And at times that gets a little cumbersome also. As for actual gameplay, I seriously did like Dark Sector better. And the gunfights in this game aren't as good as Call of Duty 4. The controls for Dark Sector and Call of Duty 4 were both better than MGS4. I think the reviews that had this game as about an 8 were dead on. Production values were extremely high, it looked incredible, but a few minor gameplay issues keep it from being a true 10/10.

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts
what he says after its over is a little confusing, and them stabbing each other with syrignes and fighting even though liquid revealed he wanted snake to stop him set me off a little, but it was genious
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
The Boss Fight was so epic. I love how it gave the Tekken feel. I played that part over and over before I went on with the rest of the game. The fight with Liquid Ocelot was not that difficult. I thought the hardest part was when he keep doing that power punch. All you have to do is keep your distance and once he makes a move dodge it and counter.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
It was one of the best parts of the game but nothing comes close to act 4
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

Okay, sorry for the title if that did spoil it for anyone. I guess I just assumed that most everyone who gets it knows that will happen. I understand what everyone is saying about it being an epic showdown. As with all of MGS4 it looks fantastic. Maybe if I would have beat it early on I would have liked it better. I think I just got frustrated. But come on, do you really not think the controls suck? It feels so unresponsive at times. While the game was definitely really good overall, the gameplay isn't the best ever. You basically play this game for the storyline. And at times that gets a little cumbersome also. As for actual gameplay, I seriously did like Dark Sector better. And the gunfights in this game aren't as good as Call of Duty 4. The controls for Dark Sector and Call of Duty 4 were both better than MGS4. I think the reviews that had this game as about an 8 were dead on. Production values were extremely high, it looked incredible, but a few minor gameplay issues keep it from being a true 10/10.

dante82

Problem with that is, not many others had problems with the controls or the gameplay. For normal gameplay, it was much more improved over MGS3, had so much fun sneaking and fighting when i so chose to. Admittedly the lesser boss fights weren't as engaging as MGS, but i think that's more a testament to MGS and for the final boss, I got my arse handed to me a few times too, then I realised there was a 'guard' button, and it made all the difference in the world. I wouldn't say it got easy, but doable...and still as epic. Just be sure you actually knock him down for good, I made the mistake of thinking it was over before it actually was...and I was so pissed! But that only added to the epicness as well.

If it's too hard for you, perhaps you should try easy mode.

bjhean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 bjhean
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts
I think this part is one of the best parts in the game. I like it alot.

He is not that hard to beat. When you get to the third part of the fight, just be aggressive. Punch, kick and do everything to him, don't let him get a chance to hit you.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts

dante82
this post is exactly why new game franchises are cookie cutter crap. the new generation of gamers love playing the same thing over and over and over again aparrently. no room for creativity or innovation anymore. it is really sad to me
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
i was watching my brother play that part....he couldnt get past it and gave up saying that the last boss fight ruined the whole game for him....i had to beat it for him.....i gotta admit the last boss battle is a pain and the combat controls + camera angles were straight up awful.....but all the nostalgia and beautiful graphics made me love it.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
WHAT? WHAT? Sorry, again, WHAT?
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
so makin a thread about how much it sucks to cover how much you suck at the battle? Make sure you play better and then you might just beat Liquid.
Avatar image for silentkill62696
silentkill62696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silentkill62696
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts
Ok, maybe its me, but when i was battling him, i didn't lose once. I thought it was an awesome battle even though i won in one go, it was epic and everything i could ask for. I was playing it on soild normal btw. In fact, i thought mgs4 was a bit toned done since mgs3. It would've been nice to have liquid whoop my ass once, but i guess ill just play it on big boss mode if i want that. I actually miss the difficulty of mgs3, it just made it that much more fun to play since u were forced to use more of ur senses. Don't get me wrong, i think mgs4 deserves a 10/10, but i just wish their normal difficulty could've been more like mgs3.
brokenfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brokenfetus
Member since 2004 • 422 Posts
Yeah dude I try to avoid food with MSG in it. I hear it's no good for ya. Try to find some chinese restaurants that have banners up that say "NO MSG in our food". That way you can eat chinese food, without the horrible effects of MSG.
Elitheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Elitheos
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts
The final boss fight nearly ruined the total game experience for me and definetely brings it down a peg in my opinion of the game as a whole. Where as fighting inside Metal Gear or on the back of the motorcycle or on top of Drebins tank where truly thrilling, the final battle was just lame and frustrating. The controls were basic, slow and un-responsive. If they built an entre fighting game on this 2 button fighting scheme it would fail miserably, so why use the scheme as the last thing you'll do in what otherwise was such a stunningly well crafted game? As I played it I just kept on thinking what was going on in Kojima's mind, he definetly saved the worst for last. But other than that, my favorite game!!!!!!!!
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I didn't have too much trouble with him (on easy :oops: ) but the fight did all around suck. It just felt rather anticlimatic. I mean, yeah sure, it's liquid and it's a throw back to the days of yore (read: MGS 1) but none the less. I get all the way through the game and fight some pretty memorable bosses with their own intricacies and tactics and it all ends with a fight that consists of three buttons and throw backs to old songs? I mean seriously?! WTF was that? I want something kick a**, difficult, and intricate. And after that stupid mash the triangle button mini-game? What happened there? It's like Konami busted a** for the first portion of the game and just went "meh" when it came to finish it!elemental_drago
Should try it on BBH, I thought it was too easy on normal as well, but it was a completely different and better fight on BBH. Much harder, you really have to figure out the combat style needed for each of the three stages of the fight. It was not button-mashing at all on BBH
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Deathtransit
I didn't have too much trouble with him (on easy :oops: ) but the fight did all around suck. It just felt rather anticlimatic. I mean, yeah sure, it's liquid and it's a throw back to the days of yore (read: MGS 1) but none the less. I get all the way through the game and fight some pretty memorable bosses with their own intricacies and tactics and it all ends with a fight that consists of three buttons and throw backs to old songs? I mean seriously?! WTF was that? I want something kick a**, difficult, and intricate. And after that stupid mash the triangle button mini-game? What happened there? It's like Konami busted a** for the first portion of the game and just went "meh" when it came to finish it!elemental_drago
Should try it on BBH, I thought it was too easy on normal as well, but it was a completely different and better fight on BBH. Much harder, you really have to figure out the combat style needed for each of the three stages of the fight. It was not button-mashing at all on BBH
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Deathtransit
Ok, maybe its me, but when i was battling him, i didn't lose once. I thought it was an awesome battle even though i won in one go, it was epic and everything i could ask for. I was playing it on soild normal btw. In fact, i thought mgs4 was a bit toned done since mgs3. It would've been nice to have liquid whoop my ass once, but i guess ill just play it on big boss mode if i want that. I actually miss the difficulty of mgs3, it just made it that much more fun to play since u were forced to use more of ur senses. Don't get me wrong, i think mgs4 deserves a 10/10, but i just wish their normal difficulty could've been more like mgs3.silentkill62696
Play it on BBH. It is that MSG3 difficulty and the final boss scene requires MUCH more intricacy and figuring out. MUCH more satisfying!
likesstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 likesstuff
Member since 2008 • 226 Posts
I think that you should chosen a different title for the topic, you might ruin something for someone.
C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
I'm still not to that part in the game :cry:
dante82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dante82

Okay, I just played it again and actually did beat him rather easily that time. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. I think I was just mad cuz I got frustrated. I would gladly edit the title of my post to avoid any type of spoiler. Is there anyway to do that?

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
Just keep on pressing R1 on the last part.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
I liked it quite a bit actually.