Am I playing too much ?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

[QUOTE="StudySession"]

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] Again, you can EASILY have a job and still play 7+ hours a day.MorbidToaster

I don't think someone can "easily" play for 7+ hours with a job. You "can" but then your job and a video game would count for every waking minute of your day. I think that most people would want to relax a little in there day. Video games are a lot of fun but competitive multiplayer games or difficult single player games are not the most relaxing activity. It is summer why not kick back on the patio and have a beer, enjoy the summer weather, watch a movie, hang out with friends.

I watch movies while playing something like UNO to relax, that counts as playing time. I live in Texas, and have no pool and don't live near water. It's way too hot outside to even sit with a beer. Also, I hang out with friends...playing video games... I think it's completely different depending on the person. 7 hours a day can be considered too much if you never do anything with other people, and never take a break relaxing (either a relaxing GAME, or just sitting outside). Speaking as far as my personal situation goes, I clear about 10 hours a day, but within that 10 hours I play with friends at my home (and online), play a variety of games (multiplayer, single player, casual games for a break). Heck, my friends on I take our portables to cafes and play while holding conversations with other people that don't play games. Again, too much is completely relative.

EDIT: My days also include at least 2 showers (10-20 minutes a piece), and a 35 hours + work week.

You are right when you say too much is relative. In your situation 10 hours a day does seem more reasonable although I don't think I would be able to enjoy that many hours every day. But based on what the TC wrote I assume that he sits in front of his playstation for 7 hours strait and is worried about it breaking because of that. Now that suggests to me that he is not using gaming as a terribly social activity.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]You know I heard outside is pretty nice. hazelnutman
I tried it once. Good graphics, but still overrated.

Come on, it's been HD since you were born!

Who can sit there and play seven hours a day, every day? That would drive me nuts.

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#53 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

[QUOTE="StudySession"]

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] Again, you can EASILY have a job and still play 7+ hours a day.MorbidToaster

I don't think someone can "easily" play for 7+ hours with a job. You "can" but then your job and a video game would count for every waking minute of your day. I think that most people would want to relax a little in there day. Video games are a lot of fun but competitive multiplayer games or difficult single player games are not the most relaxing activity. It is summer why not kick back on the patio and have a beer, enjoy the summer weather, watch a movie, hang out with friends.

I watch movies while playing something like UNO to relax, that counts as playing time. I live in Texas, and have no pool and don't live near water. It's way too hot outside to even sit with a beer. Also, I hang out with friends...playing video games... I think it's completely different depending on the person. 7 hours a day can be considered too much if you never do anything with other people, and never take a break relaxing (either a relaxing GAME, or just sitting outside). Speaking as far as my personal situation goes, I clear about 10 hours a day, but within that 10 hours I play with friends at my home (and online), play a variety of games (multiplayer, single player, casual games for a break). Heck, my friends on I take our portables to cafes and play while holding conversations with other people that don't play games. Again, too much is completely relative.

EDIT: My days also include at least 2 showers (10-20 minutes a piece), and a 35 hours + work week.

i really envy you dood.

joshua2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 joshua2424
Member since 2006 • 509 Posts

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]You know I heard outside is pretty nice. hazelnutman

i lol'd

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

If you think you're playing too much, ask yourself this. "Am I happy with my life?" Really think about it. If you feel you have enough friends, get out enough, have good enough grades, etc, than you're fine. If you answered no to that question, you may want to start to reconsider your time management

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#56 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]

[QUOTE="StudySession"]

StudySession

You are right when you say too much is relative. In your situation 10 hours a day does seem more reasonable although I don't think I would be able to enjoy that many hours every day. But based on what the TC wrote I assume that he sits in front of his playstation for 7 hours strait and is worried about it breaking because of that. Now that suggests to me that he is not using gaming as a terribly social activity.

I completely agree, I do feel that TC definitely may be playing too much, I was just defending people that may be in the same boat as myself. You know, a little devil's advocate...Hehe.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts
Who cares, I play about 11 hours a day
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]

heres what i do on times like these...put ur arm next to piece of white paper...now if they match...put the controller down.....unplug everything and go outside, work out(because if you play too much chances are youve gained a lil flab), take your shirt off and get sunburnt...play basketball, football, baseball, just run or if youre a geek go to a park and swing cardboard swords around with your friends if you have any... MorbidToaster

Problem: Skin matches white paper. Solution: Tanning bed with built in screens. :3

and what about the flab and getting natural day light ayy?? huh? huh? huh? yeah now what? youve gotta do more than sit on your assto do that and get tan at the same time...what now?

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]

[QUOTE="StudySession"]

bigmouthkid

i really envy you dood.

The fact you used dood is awesome, dood. And yeah...I get that alot...But when you make something your life, and find other people that are trying to make it their life too, it's really great.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]

[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]

heres what i do on times like these...put ur arm next to piece of white paper...now if they match...put the controller down.....unplug everything and go outside, work out(because if you play too much chances are youve gained a lil flab), take your shirt off and get sunburnt...play basketball, football, baseball, just run or if youre a geek go to a park and swing cardboard swords around with your friends if you have any... Eazy1891

Problem: Skin matches white paper. Solution: Tanning bed with built in screens. :3

and what about the flab and getting natural day light ayy?? huh? huh? huh? yeah now what? youve gotta do more than sit on your assto do that and get tan at the same time...what now?

Personally, I like to stay in shape by playing In The Groove and DDR, and with the many exercise games being released on the Wii, you're set. Also, you really don't need the whole WHAT NOW crap in there. Oh, and have you heard of natural lightbulbs? lol
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]You know I heard outside is pretty nice. Flame_Blade88

Yeah, I give it a 7.0

:lol:
Dante_May_Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Dante_May_Die
Member since 2008 • 1505 Posts

lol @ the people saying go outside well some people dont want to go outside and some people (like me) are too broke to go outside :P so he just has to stay at home :roll: but i love to go out seriously but its not everyday outside outside :o also where im living here without cash your difficulty in this game is not very hard its EXTREME SUPER HARD :P xD

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
I'm playing less and less it seems I'm losing my interest in gaming, anyway if you to play less then find a different interest I'm not saying stop gaming just find something else and share it with playing video games.
BayKing8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BayKing8877
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I play like 10 hours a day at least. Don't feel bad. :)Doolz2024

You totally don't strike me as a 10 hours a day player, but it's nice to hear someone else does.

Well, I have 2 consoles to play on now (got a 360 about a month ago), so that's really the main reason for my increase in playing time. Before I got a 360 I only played PS3 for about 4-5 hours per day.

wowat least i know im not the only one that plays a lot but i think the onlyreason im playing 10+ hours is because its summer and that means no high school but i usually spend half of that time with the console turned on but not actually playing because im on myspace or something

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#65 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I play the PS3 a lot too. What the heck though. I payed £400 for it so I might as well get my money out of it :P

Or you could just go out with mates ;)

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] You totally don't strike me as a 10 hours a day player, but it's nice to hear someone else does.BayKing8877

Well, I have 2 consoles to play on now (got a 360 about a month ago), so that's really the main reason for my increase in playing time. Before I got a 360 I only played PS3 for about 4-5 hours per day.

wowat least i know im not the only one that plays a lot but i think the onlyreason im playing 10+ hours is because its summer and that means no high school but i usually spend half of that time with the console turned on but not actually playing because im on myspace or something

My name is Morbid...a-and I'm an alcoholic...Wait...
ENIXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ENIXMAN
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

I play like 7 hrs a day, I don't want my PS3 to explode or the lens to wear out quickly

Merc009
Don't worry iabout it, it'll be fine.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]You know I heard outside is pretty nice. Flame_Blade88

Yeah, I give it a 7.0

The gameplay was hit and miss but the physics engine was fantastic. In all seriousness though people need to stop telling other people how to live their lives. There's no reason someone can't play a lot of video games and still "have a life". You can have a life without being the typical frat boy getting drunk on a daily basis and having constant one night stands with random women.
fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts
i'm so sick of this the man ask (Am I playing too much ?) and you guys thought hes a non-lifer and a wierdo MAN
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Do some sport ( not a sport game), learn how to play a music instrument ( not Guitar Hero ) go to movies , go to the park , get married and when someone says you have no life you can allways say "Well, I am married":P

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MorbidToaster

Do some sport ( not a sport game), learn how to play a music instrument ( not Guitar Hero ) go to movies , go to the park , get married and when someone says you have no life you can allways say "Well, I am married":P

svenus97
I think it's funny people think 7 hours a day is alot, I've been in a great relationship for 2 years on 10 hours + a day, and she only plays SIMS AND HARVEST MOON! Oh, and Viva Pinata since I gave it to her.
L30KinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 L30KinG
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

yes we are, but i still have GS

SagaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SagaRain
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts
Play a different game. Oh and don't listen to the people telling you to "GO OUTSIDE". Isn't it his option if he should or not?
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

You could try getting a job if you're worried.

Atmanix

lol i have a job but i must have played like some 20hrs this weekend bc gf was gone. Hell i could have beat 4 games in one day if i wanted (i finished 2nd half of fear 2, finally beat the waves of helghast radec sends after you in kz2, beat like a 1/4 of r2 starting in 2nd half at end of bryce canyon, liberated last section of mars in red faction:guerilla just have half a mission left). Ok that is cheating but I still beat Fear 2 in about 2 long sittings. Good game just a lil on the short side. I bought it saturday and was done it yesterday. I'll play through it again on hard but doubt i'll ever touch the multiplayer bc i only really devote myself to a few games and go all out for them (kz2, warhawk, r2, r:fom). I am going to have plenty of time to play now that my gf is in Puerto Rico for two weeks so I see myself finishing R2 again, finishing Red Faction, replaying Bioshock, making lbp levels, and hopefully playing kz2 online and trying user levels in lbp(if my ps3 wants to stay connected that is).

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

jyoung312
lol i have a job but i must have played like some 20hrs this weekend bc gf was gone. Hell i could have beat 4 games in one day if i wanted (i finished 2nd half of fear 2, finally beat the waves of helghast radec sends after you in kz2, beat like a 1/4 of r2 starting in 2nd half at end of bryce canyon, liberated last section of mars in red faction:guerilla just have half a mission left).

The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="jyoung312"][QUOTE="Atmanix"]

MorbidToaster
lol i have a job but i must have played like some 20hrs this weekend bc gf was gone. Hell i could have beat 4 games in one day if i wanted (i finished 2nd half of fear 2, finally beat the waves of helghast radec sends after you in kz2, beat like a 1/4 of r2 starting in 2nd half at end of bryce canyon, liberated last section of mars in red faction:guerilla just have half a mission left).

The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.

Math is cool, what do you guys think?
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#77 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="jyoung312"] lol i have a job but i must have played like some 20hrs this weekend bc gf was gone. Hell i could have beat 4 games in one day if i wanted (i finished 2nd half of fear 2, finally beat the waves of helghast radec sends after you in kz2, beat like a 1/4 of r2 starting in 2nd half at end of bryce canyon, liberated last section of mars in red faction:guerilla just have half a mission left). MorbidToaster

haha! i love this guy dood.(no homo)

LrEzON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LrEzON
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts
7 Hours straight? That's way too much. :| Just relax, do other things, get active. Eat a snack, go to the bathroom at least. If your friends found out about that they'd go for intervention. :P But seriously, just lay back every now and then. Like everyone else says, try Outside, it's pretty cool. :P Best part is you can choose how far you go and how many levels there are.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.

I agree to an extent, but I'd made a few slight changes. I'd say more like: 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 49 (7 Hours Sleep per night) = 79 79 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 72 72 - 14 (2 hours a day for food, dishes, laundry, etc.) = 58 That adds up to a little over 8 hours a day which is still a lot. The average person probably sleeps anywhere from 6-8 hours a night so I went with 7. 5 is just too little (although that's all I get anymore). Also, at 3 meals a day for most people, 1 hour just doesn't seem like enough so I added in another hour to cover that plus any other small miscellaneous activities you may do during the day.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.

I agree to an extent, but I'd made a few slight changes. I'd say more like: 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 49 (7 Hours Sleep per night) = 79 79 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 72 72 - 14 (2 hours a day for food, dishes, laundry, etc.) = 58 That adds up to a little over 8 hours a day which is still a lot. The average person probably sleeps anywhere from 6-8 hours a night so I went with 7. 5 is just too little (although that's all I get anymore). Also, at 3 meals a day for most people, 1 hour just doesn't seem like enough so I added in another hour to cover that plus any other small miscellaneous activities you may do during the day.

Yeah, the sleep time was a bit low, but it was more the math for me. As far as food goes, I tend to eat ~2 meals a day. So yeah, it varies alot from person to person. I just thought this was finally the chance I needed to do the math on this subject. lol
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.bigmouthkid

haha! i love this guy dood.(no homo)

Dawwwww...I love you too, dood! (no homo :3) lol
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#82 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Life is overrated. Enjoy your PS3 :D
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="SoNin360"]Life is overrated. Enjoy your PS3 :D

I'm having too much fun in this thread to enjoy my PS3 right now. Math is cool.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]The idea that jobs take tons of your time is stupid. Most people work 40-50 hours a week...if that. 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 35 (5 Hours Sleep per night) = 93 93 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 86 86 - 7 (1 Hour a day for making food, maybe some laundry if that first hour wasn't enough) = 79 79 hours a week for gaming, that's over 10 hours a day with a job. Heck, toss another hour a day in there for 'etc.' and you still hit over 10 hours a day.

Yeah, the sleep time was a bit low, but it was more the math for me. As far as food goes, I tend to eat ~2 meals a day. So yeah, it varies alot from person to person. I just thought this was finally the chance I needed to do the math on this subject. lol

I get the point you were trying to make, just thought I'd add my input on your mathematical skills since you asked for it :P
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Texas2089"] I agree to an extent, but I'd made a few slight changes. I'd say more like: 168 - 40 (Job) = 128 128 - 49 (7 Hours Sleep per night) = 79 79 - 7 (1 Hour a day for showering, general hygiene) = 72 72 - 14 (2 hours a day for food, dishes, laundry, etc.) = 58 That adds up to a little over 8 hours a day which is still a lot. The average person probably sleeps anywhere from 6-8 hours a night so I went with 7. 5 is just too little (although that's all I get anymore). Also, at 3 meals a day for most people, 1 hour just doesn't seem like enough so I added in another hour to cover that plus any other small miscellaneous activities you may do during the day.

I get the point you were trying to make, just thought I'd add my input on your mathematical skills since you asked for it :P

I appreciate your input lol. Nice to see someone else having fun with this subject.
huntertl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#86 huntertl1
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
ehhhh you will be fine outside is where the war is anyway
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Only 7 hours? I used to play wow 16 hours a day (no joke) thats how I got 100 days of gameplay in one year of wow xD

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MorbidToaster

Only 7 hours? I used to play wow 16 hours a day (no joke) thats how I got 100 days of gameplay in one year of wow xD

imaps3fanboy
My name is Morbid...and I'm an alcoholic...Wait...No, I just play WoW. lol. I was about 15-18 hours a day into WoW for awhile too. ~2 years.
rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

If you have to ask then you probably are playing too much....

ajthelegend

Lol. Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#90 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="K1LLR3175"] I tried it once.Good graphics, but still overrated.

Yeah, I give it a 7.0

:lol: :lol: ROFLMAO... and

I play like 7 hrs a day, I don't want my PS3 to explode or the lens to wear out quickly

Merc009
1. nah, that just mean you have enough free time... summer brake? so as long as you do not end the day thinking that you should have gone out and done something else ... i.e. you do not feel your day was a waste.... have fun my friend.. This said I`m pretty sure you were no asking for this but for #2 2. your ps3 would not explode, it can play longs hours.. no worries... I play a LOT on my 2 weeks vacation from work... and when GoW2 I play the whole thing in 10h section with the ps2 so the ps3 can take it :P :oops: enjoy
PapaSmuffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PapaSmuffs
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

Just do what makes you happy. That's what life is all about. If you enjoy playing for 7 hours, do so. If you feel guilty enough that you posted this message, then the answer is clear that you yourself think you're playing too much; ergo, you need to just allot 3.5 hours of your playstation time towards something else and you'll feel better thus resolving your problem and bringing you to square one: Happiness.