actually enjoying the FF14 Beta

This topic is locked from further discussion.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

I know the PC and PS3 have had this game for awhile but personally avoided it because of the terrible 1st attempt at it 4 or 5 years ago. They rebooted the game and I must say that it's looking great and playing smooth. As always for console mmos, the controls are a bit clunky but other than that I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. The real teat would be if I'd spend $62 bucks for it, well that would depend on an Elder Scrolls Online release date announcement. As of right now, ESO is tentatively scheduled for a summer release but if the PC launch doesn't go smoothly I'm looking for the console release date to get pushed and if that happens, I'd buy FF14: A Realm Reborn in a heartbeat.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Do these MMO's require an extra monthly fee for PS4? or just PSPLUS?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@chriscoolguy said:

Do these MMO's require an extra monthly fee for PS4? or just PSPLUS?

They require an extra monthly fee of $10 - $15. You probably don't need PS+ to play these MMO's.

Permerup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Permerup
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

What are you enjoying about it? I'm curious.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

@permerup said:

What are you enjoying about it? I'm curious.

It seems more polished than I'd anticipated. Also, as I wrote earlier, it's easy on the eyes and runs smooth. There are warts though, like the clunky controller interface and lack of a decent "tips" menu/npc. That said, I'm having a good time running around with my little archer. One thing though, I wasn't aware that the PS4 version required a monthly fee because I don't think I love it that much, lol!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm sure it's a great game and that I would probably enjoy it (I loved FFXI), but I can't afford nor do I want to pay the monthly fee.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

My complaint so far is that the menu windows are too small for my 55 inch tv. FFXI had better menu sizes. It is also a little faster paced ans I don't like that other people can attack your mobs.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

After almost hating it first day (mostly because of very bad introduction, you wake up in a cart with a stupid guy talking to you, you have to read text of what he's saying, there's a fight around but you can't participate, one of the first quests is to do emotes in front of a girl - I still can't understand why someone created emotes ...), now I'm enjoying it somehow, combat has nothing original (you have to maintain R2 to have access to your usual attacks as the default ones are for jumping, validating choice ... which seems odd as combat is the main thing you'll do), and I have only 2 skills at lvl 5, targeting is nice as you use up/down to target friends and left/right to target enemies.

The atmosphere is real good, sad you have to read that much text when most MMOs today have the quests spoken. I'll try using keyboard/mouse tonight as it's so much better using it to communicate.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

@TheTenth10 said:

After almost hating it first day (mostly because of very bad introduction, you wake up in a cart with a stupid guy talking to you, you have to read text of what he's saying, there's a fight around but you can't participate, one of the first quests is to do emotes in front of a girl - I still can't understand why someone created emotes ...), now I'm enjoying it somehow, combat has nothing original (you have to maintain R2 to have access to your usual attacks as the default ones are for jumping, validating choice ... which seems odd as combat is the main thing you'll do), and I have only 2 skills at lvl 5, targeting is nice as you use up/down to target friends and left/right to target enemies.

The atmosphere is real good, sad you have to read that much text when most MMOs today have the quests spoken. I'll try using keyboard/mouse tonight as it's so much better using it to communicate.

you can change the abilities around to your preference. its completely customizable that way. also, its dumb that they don't let those who have existing characters try the beta with them...

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

The gameplay itself is smooth and the visuals are nice, but I cannot sit and play a game that requires your to read everything but yet has such tiny font!!! My PS4 is on a 51" 1080p Samsung Plasma and I have to strain to read any of the text. No thanks!!

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

They had the same problem when FFXI hit a HD system early last gen. They had to release a patch to adjust the font size. In 1080i it was just super tiny.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I'm not an MMO player but if they can get a good console friendly FF14 out I'd be willing to give it a try.

With the monthly subscription, is it a yearly thing? Or can you cancel out anytime? I'd like to at least try it for a month or two.

Moraly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Moraly
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

This is the beta of the game.When the game comes out they already said the text will be normal sized this came from the producer himself and if anybody has played this game on there ps3 it is a automatic upgrade free you just wont be able to play anymore on the ps3 unless you get another copy of the game.Plus you do get a month free for purchasing this game