• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WKS92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WKS92
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts

ok my current pc is falling apart and there is no way i am willing to revive it. so i have decided either to build a new pc ment for gaming (on an extremly small budget 430$) or a xbox 360 with a year of live and a couple new games. I am not really that great with pcs and the xbox has no assembly.so tell me what you think i should do?

CrysisHeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CrysisHeir
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Well a PC has more uses defintely so I would say to go with the PC over 360. But if you're not handy with computers try going to a computer store that builds it for you or buy a pre-made one.

However I'm not sure on how far you can go with getting a good Gaming PC with your budget:?

Guru_G4M3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Guru_G4M3R
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
For a budget of 430$ you really aren't going to get much of a gaming PC. Go for the 360. You will be much happier with the performance and it is a much 'easier' gaming experience.
WKS92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WKS92
lol thanx the only problem is there is no where near me that does anything with pc most people around me dont even know what the internet is
charrr1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 charrr1234
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
Get a Xbox 360.
Medjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Medjai
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts

It really depends on what games you want to play...I own a 360 and a gaming PC and play both regularly even some mulitplats like COD4 I got on 360. I have a group of friends that I play on XBL with and I enjoy it on 360 even though it doesn't have some of the benefits of the pc version.

they are dropping the price of the 360 to $299 shortly so you could get 360 XBL and a game for $400

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
go for a 360, with that budget you wont be getting far.
WKS92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WKS92

yea 430 bucks is what i can squeez out of my parents for my b-day but the summer job isnt looking good

Private_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Private_Adam
Member since 2005 • 9864 Posts
Just get a Xbox 360 since you can't get a gaming computer for 430 dollars.
SandHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SandHuman
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Save your money for the pc..... gaming pcs are heaven =)
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
You can get a refurbished computer for like $300 with a dual core and 1-2gigs of ram. With the rest of your budget you can pick up a 7950GT/7900GT or a 8600GTS with a powersupply on ebay for easily less than $100. It might be a little work but you will get $10-$20 cheaper games, free online, and better visuals on pretty much any game. Best thing is that you won't need to build the computer, just install extra things which are very quck and easy.
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts
go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pc
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
There are no mods in PC Hardware?
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mastershake575
go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pcquocthai
Xbox live with a 360 is $350. Your telling me that the extra $50-$80 isn't worth free online, mods, $10-$15 cheaper games that can easily pay that difference in a year, to most better controlls, better visuals, and the most AA and AAA since the release of the 360 ? I love my 360 but there is no way in this situation that I would choose it over the PC if he shops smart
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

[QUOTE="quocthai"]go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pcmastershake575
Xbox live with a 360 is $350. Your telling me that the extra $50-$80 isn't worth free online, mods, $10-$15 cheaper games that can easily pay that difference in a year, to most better controlls, better visuals, and the most AA and AAA since the release of the 360 ? I love my 360 but there is no way in this situation that I would choose it over the PC if he shops smart

$430 will only get you so far. He's not that great with PC's and seems to want an easier gaming experience. The 360 offers that. You're basicly suggesting to him that he should buy a low end gaming PC, because that's what you'll get for $430. A 7900 GT or 8600 GT while offering "decent" performance will not last too long with new games on the horizon.

A 7900 class card can just barely play Portal at high settings with with 4xAA at a res of 10x7. Uping the resolution even just to 12x10 makes the game unplayable. And this is a Source game, something that isn't too demanding on hardware. Don't reccommend something that is really outdated, it's really not the best thing to do in the long run.

At least with the 360 he'll know that his games will look and perform fine no matter what and he won't have to mess with settings and resolution because with a low end machine you'll be doing A LOT of that. I used to own one and it sucked.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastershake575

[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="quocthai"]go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pckarasill

You're basicly suggesting to him that he should buy a low end gaming PC, because that's what you'll get for $430. A 7900 GT or 8600 GT while offering "decent" performance will not last too long with new games on the horizon.

-A 7900 class card can just barely play Portal at high settings with with 4xAA at a res of 10x7. Uping the resolution even just to 12x10 makes the game unplayable. And this is a Source game, something that isn't too demanding on hardware. Don't reccommend something that is really outdated, it's really not the best thing to do in the long run.

-At least with the 360 he'll know that his games will look and perform fine no matter what and he won't have to mess with settings and resolution because with a low end machine you'll be doing A LOT of that. I used to own one and it sucked.

1. A dual core and 2gigs of ram is fine and I would classify a 7950/7900 as mid range based on peformance of curreny games. It might not last long of getting all high/max settings but the setting will still most likely be better than the 360 with all the extra goodies

2. Im staring at portal benchmarks right now and its showing very playable frames with all settings high, 1280x1024, with 4xAA and 8xAF with full HDR. Its not the best card but the 360 won't be outperforming it anytime soon since it maxs most of there hit titles. Also its old but its a start and still gives good frames. Not to mention ive seen pre-used 3850 for $50-$60 on ebay so that would pretty much end seal the deal if he can pick one up.

3. Most games already come with the settings applied to suit your system so thats not a problem and messing with settings isn't really rocket science like some make it seem with modding and hacks which you don't need. I don't really see any games that would literally push this card settings wise untill 2009.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="quocthai"]go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pcmastershake575

You're basicly suggesting to him that he should buy a low end gaming PC, because that's what you'll get for $430. A 7900 GT or 8600 GT while offering "decent" performance will not last too long with new games on the horizon.

-A 7900 class card can just barely play Portal at high settings with with 4xAA at a res of 10x7. Uping the resolution even just to 12x10 makes the game unplayable. And this is a Source game, something that isn't too demanding on hardware. Don't reccommend something that is really outdated, it's really not the best thing to do in the long run.

-At least with the 360 he'll know that his games will look and perform fine no matter what and he won't have to mess with settings and resolution because with a low end machine you'll be doing A LOT of that. I used to own one and it sucked.

1. A dual core and 2gigs of ram is fine and I would classify a 7950/7900 as mid range based on peformance of curreny games. It might not last long of getting all high/max settings but the setting will still most likely be better than the 360 with all the extra goodies

2. Im staring at portal benchmarks right now and its showing very playable frames with all settings high, 1280x1024, with 4xAA and 8xAF with full HDR. Its not the best card but the 360 won't be outperforming it anytime soon since it maxs most of there hit titles. Also its old but its a start and still gives good frames. Not to mention ive seen pre-used 3850 for $50-$60 on ebay so that would pretty much end seal the deal if he can pick one up.

3. Most games already come with the settings applied to suit your system so thats not a problem and messing with settings isn't really rocket science like some make it seem with modding and hacks which you don't need. I don't really see any games that would literally push this card settings wise untill 2009.

A 7900 is mid range based on games from last year and the year before. This year it is low end, it's not even considered for many benchmarks anymore. My friend has computer 2 GB's of ram, an Athlon 64 4400+ X2, and a Geforce 7900 GT. I've seen first hand how Portal performs, I don't care what some benchmark from a website says, it's not going to automatically make the results I've seen invalid. Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that price.

A computer like the one you're suggesting will not out-perform a console by anything significant (unless he magically can find a 3850), maybe by a hair. He's basicly made himself a more expensive Xbox 360 if he goes with that option. The GPU in the 360 is actually a little bit more powerful then a Geforce 7900 or 8600.

Anyways... So let's say he spends $430 on a gaming PC. What then? What games is he going to play? At first it will be Solitaire. He's going to have to save up another week or two just to play a game because he won't have enough money to buy a game right off the bat. With the 360 he can buy at least 3-4 used games or 2 newly released games on day one.

Like I said earlier he seems to want an easier gaming experience and is ont that good with PC's in general. I think in this case the 360 is the better option for him.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mastershake575
[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="quocthai"]go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pckarasill

-The GPU in the 360 is actually a little bit more powerful then a Geforce 7900 or 8600.

-Anyways... So let's say he spends $430 on a gaming PC. What then? What games is he going to play? At first it will be Solitaire. He's going to have to save up another week or two just to play a game because he won't have enough money to buy a game right off the bat. With the 360 he can buy at least 3-4 used games or 2 newly released games on day one.

-Like I said earlier he seems to want an easier gaming experience and is ont that good with PC's in general. I think in this case the 360 is the better option for him.

-Ive heard from many sources that its basically a 7800GTX . Also he could squeeze in a 3850 and a 8800gs for the same price if he looks which would perform alot better. Even if he doesn't want to look, a 7950GT and X1900XT(and higher) are still in the range.

-$430 is just what he's getting on his birthday...... That summer job could turn around, he might already have money on hand, and he could always trade in older games that he never plays.

- Yes thats true but I also said earlier that "its a little(more) work, but worth it"

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="quocthai"]go for the 360, with the price drop next week you would be getting an xbox, a year of live and 3,4 used games. That's will give you a better gaming experience than a 430 dollars pcmastershake575

-The GPU in the 360 is actually a little bit more powerful then a Geforce 7900 or 8600.

-Anyways... So let's say he spends $430 on a gaming PC. What then? What games is he going to play? At first it will be Solitaire. He's going to have to save up another week or two just to play a game because he won't have enough money to buy a game right off the bat. With the 360 he can buy at least 3-4 used games or 2 newly released games on day one.

-Like I said earlier he seems to want an easier gaming experience and is ont that good with PC's in general. I think in this case the 360 is the better option for him.

-Ive heard from many sources that its basically a 7800GTX . Also he could squeeze in a 3850 and a 8800gs for the same price if he looks which would perform alot better. Even if he doesn't want to look, a 7950GT and X1900XT(and higher) are still in the range.

-$430 is just what he's getting on his birthday...... That summer job could turn around, he might already have money on hand, and he could always trade in older games that he never plays.

- Yes thats true but I also said earlier that "its a little(more) work, but worth it"

That would be the RSX for the PS3 being basically a 7800 GTX. The GPU in the 360 is pretty much a modified Radeon X1900 XT with some features of the R600 architecture ( 2900 XT), which is more powerful then a 7900. You can't assume things will turn around or that he has games laying around ready to sell. He specifcally said $430, that's what I'm working with. I'm not going to assume he can get more money just because I much rather he make a PC then buy a console.

The 360 is the better choice and I'm a PC gamer first and console gamer second. Not quite sure why you can't see that in this case with all things considered, the 360 is the better option for HIM.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mastershake575
Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that pricekarasill
When I was hunting for a new card, I saw a 3850 end at $50.50 and $62. Also I saw a 2x antec earthwatts sell for $15 (one of them brand new) and a 7950gt ending at $36 (I still have some of the links saved on ebay). With powersupplies that cheap he could just go rack up a 8800GS or 9600GSO new and still work with a $430 budget with room for a game or two. And yes I read his budget he said either a Tower or 360 with games. Since he never mentioned pc games I guess thats already taken care of.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"] Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that pricemastershake575
When I was hunting for a new card, I saw a 3850 end at $50.50 and $62. Also I saw a 2x antec earthwatts sell for $15 (one of them brand new) and a 7950gt ending at $36. With powersupplies that cheap he could just go rack up a 8800GS or 9600GSO new and still work with a $430 budget with room for a game or two. And yes I read his budget he said either a Tower or 360 with games. Since he never mentioned pc games I guess thats already taken care of.

Or maybe he realizes that PC gaming is a tad bit more expensive and doesn't want to spread accross $430 on buying a PC and games. I mean if I came out and asked you to build me a decent gaming PC for $430 and name two decent games to buy along that as well to be included in my budget. Could you do it and truley feel confident that I would be getting a good experience?
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mastershake575
[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"] Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that pricekarasill
When I was hunting for a new card, I saw a 3850 end at $50.50 and $62. Also I saw a 2x antec earthwatts sell for $15 (one of them brand new) and a 7950gt ending at $36. With powersupplies that cheap he could just go rack up a 8800GS or 9600GSO new and still work with a $430 budget with room for a game or two. And yes I read his budget he said either a Tower or 360 with games. Since he never mentioned pc games I guess thats already taken care of.

Or maybe he realizes that PC gaming is a tad bit more expensive and doesn't want to spread accross $430 on buying a PC and games. I mean if I came out and asked you to build me a decent gaming PC for $430 and name two decent games to buy along that as well to be included in my budget. Could you do it and truley feel confident that I would be getting a good experience?

Yep you can bioshock and company of heroes both for $20 which gives you $410 for a tower/powersupply/videocard. If someone did ask my that then I could easily find all of that for them and give them a good experience. I do see your point on the 360 but I would rather give the edge to the PC since you can get great deals and right now his computer is practically gone(he might not even have a computer right now)
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"] Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that pricemastershake575

Yep you can bioshock and company of heroes both for $20 which gives you $410 for a tower/powersupply/videocard. If someone did ask my that then I could easily find all of that for them and give them a good experience. I do see your point on the 360 but I would rather give the edge to the PC since you can get great deals and right now his computer is practically gone(he might not even have a computer right now)

Since you brought up Ebay a few times, may I remind you that I can turn it around on you and say he can buy a used 360 and get like 8 games? I see what you're saying but he seems to just be interested in the gaming aspect and the 360 wins in that price range. Also, don't forget to include the cost of an OS to the TC. They run about $100 so that leaves you only $330 to work with when concerning hardware. Not a good situation to be in, considering you have to make something that outperforms the 360 to be worth the extra money spent on the just the hardware.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 karasill
But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. mastershake575
Link me to the computer you have in mind for the TC?
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mastershake575
[QUOTE="mastershake575"] But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. karasill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109017http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291809 One of these two and I can't find them online, but my local microcenter has the same specs as the first one but new and the secound one listed at $309. The secound one is actually pretty nice since the motherboard allows overclocking.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 karasill
[
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"] But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. mastershake575

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109017http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291809 One of these two and I can't find them online, but my local microcenter has the same specs as the first one but new and the secound one listed at $309. The secound one is actually pretty nice since the motherboard allows overclocking.

The first one is okay and is do'able but the CPU really does suck. 1 mb of cache for the CPU is.. well..... very very low. That CPU was never meant for gaming and it will show. The second one is overpriced and not worth it. Infact it's even worse then the first one since it only has 1 GB of ram and it's pretty slow to boot. If he really go the PC route I would suggest the first one and to get a good videocard. But I still say the 360 is the better option for him.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mastershake575
[[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"] But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. karasill

The first one is okay and is do'able but the CPU really does suck. 1 mb of cache for the CPU is.. well..... very very low. That CPU was never meant for gaming and it will show. The second one is overpriced and not worth it. Infact it's even worse then the first one since it only has 1 GB of ram and it's pretty slow to boot. If he really go the PC route I would suggest the first one and to get a good videocard. But I still say the 360 is the better option for him.

I own the computer and its not slow to boot....even before I put in the extra ram so what are you talking about ? For $309 its decent since you can get ram 2gigs of ram for $15 after rebate. It doesn't lock the bios and the motherboard is made by nvida which allows overclocking. Also the powersupply that comes with it has 19A which could already get him a card right there.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"] But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. mastershake575

I own the computer and its not slow to boot....even before I put in the extra ram so what are you talking about ? For $309 its decent since you can get ram 2gigs of ram for $15 after rebate. It doesn't lock the bios and the motherboard is made by nvida which allows overclocking. Also the powersupply that comes with it has 19A which could already get him a card right there.

I didn't mean it boots slow, that the ram is slow. DDR2 800 is really the slowest you want to get. The cpu does suck. it's not even hitting 2.0 ghz. That cpu will bottleneck even a geforce 7900. Will that computer run games? Sure, depeding on what videocard you put in it. Will it run them better then a 360? Not so sure about that. Even if you put a 3850 in that machine, I'm not sure how well it'll perform with a slow cpu like that holding it back.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mastershake575
[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"][[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"] But the computer is NEW not used, it has an operating system, and doesn't have the same issues as the 360 when it comes to RROD which I would be carefull of when buying a used system. karasill

I didn't mean it boots slow, that the ram is slow. DDR2 800 is really the slowest you want to get. The cpu does suck. it's not even hitting 2.0 ghz. That cpu will bottleneck even a geforce 7900. Will that computer run games? Sure, depeding on what videocard you put in it. Will it run them better then a 360? Not so sure about that. Even if you put a 3850 in that machine, I'm not sure how well it'll perform with a slow cpu like that holding it back.

I have yet to see benchmarks showing big improvements in ram speed and he can always buy different ram which I recommened. The cpu is still better than any single core and he can always overclock. Not to mention most games are way more gpu intense. And do you really have to question a 3850 with that cpu ? The card alone beats 2x8600GT which a single one can play most games on high.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 karasill
I have yet to see benchmarks showing big improvements in ram speed and he can always buy different ram which I recommened. The cpu is still better than any single core and he can always overclock. Not to mention most games are way more gpu intense. And do you really have to question a 3850 with that cpu ? The card alone beats 2x8600GT which can play lots of games on high. mastershake575
The GPU is nothing without the CPU. If you're cpu is too slow your graphics card will not perform as well as it should. A 3850 paired with that slow cpu will not perform nearly as well as it should. The reason I'm saying the ram is too slow is if you are even remotely serious about overclocking you need ram that can handle the faster speeds. When you overclock the CPU, you're also overclocking the ram as well. Overclocking isout of the question unless he buys higher quality ram, which in turn is more money he has to spend.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mastershake575
The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. When the 7900 even came out its was basically all single core so how is a much better dual core bottlenecking it ? I smell so much BS right now
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 karasill

The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. mastershake575
The cpu is not meant for gaming. It has a slow clock speed and very low cache. It's a cpu meant for watching movies on the internet and doing other mundane tasks. If I'm losing 1/3 performance from my videocard due to the cpu, then it is trash. You won't be getting the performance you paid for.

That's like buying a very powerful engine for your car rated to give you a top speed of 160 mph only to realize you're only getting a top speed of 105 mph because the crappy transmission can't keep up with the new engine you put in.

PC_X360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_X360
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
Go for a 360 unless you have $1500 for a gaming pc
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mastershake575

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. karasill

The cpu is ont meant for gmaing. It has a slow clock speed and very low cache. It's a cpu meant for watching movies on the internet and doing other mundane tasks. If I'm losing 1/3 performance from my videocard due to the cpu, then it is trash. You won't be getting the performance you paid for.

That's like buying a very powerful engine for your car rated to give you a top speed of 160 mph only to realize you're only getting a top speed of 105 mph because the crappy transmission can't keep up with the new engine you put in.

Noticed how I said at the very MOST which is a guess and is refering more to like as in a super low resolution RTS game. Thats like saying I get at the minimum 10% increase in SLI so its complete trash.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. mastershake575

The cpu is ont meant for gmaing. It has a slow clock speed and very low cache. It's a cpu meant for watching movies on the internet and doing other mundane tasks. If I'm losing 1/3 performance from my videocard due to the cpu, then it is trash. You won't be getting the performance you paid for.

Noticed how I said at the very MOST which is a guess and is refering more to like as in a super low resolution RTS game. Thats like saying I get at the minimum 10% increase in SLI so its complete trash.

Trust me, I've built many many pc's to see a huge bottleneck or slow hardware. That cpu is slow, just accept it. I don't know why you're fighting me on this. Maybe it's fast enough for you but it's already really outdated and is by far the slowest dual core cpu I've seen in a long time. I repeat, it's not designed for gaming and will hold back any good videocard.
PC_X360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_X360
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. karasill

The cpu is not meant for gaming. It has a slow clock speed and very low cache. It's a cpu meant for watching movies on the internet and doing other mundane tasks. If I'm losing 1/3 performance from my videocard due to the cpu, then it is trash. You won't be getting the performance you paid for.

That cpu is not as bad as you think, the only problem is the core clock which he can over clock to 3Ghz easily without any aftermarket hsf
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastershake575
[QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"]

Trust me, I've built many many pc's to see a huge bottleneck or slow hardware. That cpu is slow, just accept it. I don't know why you're fighting me on this. Maybe it's fast enough for you but it's already really outdated and is by far the slowest dual core cpu I've seen in a long time. I repeat, it's not designed for gaming and will hold back any good videocard.

The reason im arguing it is because its not as bad as your making it seem. I just read two reviews and they both said your losing around 10% by getting the pentium dual core series at the same clock.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. PC_X360

That cpu is not as bad as you think, the only problem is the core clock which he can over clock to 3Ghz easily without any aftermarket hsf

He'll need some really good ram to handle those speeds. I doubt a budget computer will allow you to overclock by means of the muiltipler so that just leaves him the FSB and I can't imagine the speeds the ram would need to run just so the cpu can hit those speeds.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. PC_X360

He'll need some really good ram to handle those speeds. I doubt a budget computer will allow you to overclock by means of the muiltipler so that just leaves him the FSB and I can't imagine the speeds the ram would need to run just so the cpu can hit those speeds.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="mastershake575"][QUOTE="karasill"]

[QUOTE="mastershake575"]The cpu isn't that slow you making it seem like complete trash when its maybe affecting 1/3 of the performance at the very most and you can get ddr2 800 2gig set of 4-4-4-12 with micron D9 in the low $30s after rebate. If he's doing a small overclock then you probaly wouldn't need that. mastershake575

The reason im arguing it is because its not as bad as your making it seem. I just read two reviews and they both said your losing around 10% by getting the pentium dual core series at the same clock.

What other cpu's are we comparing these to? 10% slower compared to what at the same clock? The cpu is slow, unless you overclock it and that would require better ram and depeding on how high you want it, it would have to be some really high quality ram that can take the extra stress.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 karasill
Well I'm going to bed. It's getting late. Bye guys.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mastershake575

The other cpu's where just regular core 2 duos and I clearly said at the same clock.....And yes I know it would require at least a decent overclock but thats not the point(just check my motherboard online and most people are getting in the mid 2s with ram thats nothing really special). Im refering to you point of how they are some of the worst dual core processors you ever seen when there a tad worse than the regular ones. You didn't JUST say it was slow

EDIT- I just researched the motherboard and the patch for the motherboard came out awhile ago (already installed on mine) which fixes overclocking issues. The users on the evga board where getting 2.9ghz with stock cooler and stock voltage on a E4500. Also another user got a %66 increase in his E2140 speeds on stock cooling.

iamthe1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 iamthe1ne
Member since 2003 • 628 Posts

My friend has computer 2 GB's of ram, an Athlon 64 4400+ X2, and a Geforce 7900 GT. I've seen first hand how Portal performs, I don't care what some benchmark from a website says, it's not going to automatically make the results I've seen invalid. Getting a 3850 from ebay is not a for sure thing, he would need to be really lucky to get one at that price.

karasill

dude with your friends hardware but can run portal barely at 10x7 there's a serious problem with his pc, prolly viruses or spywares, my other pc with amd x2 +3800 2gb and 7600GT can run portal flawless

ssta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 ssta
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts
Direct advice for the guy who started this thread, the one who buys PC. With that budget, you should wait for a few months. Just wait till the prices drop down. If you're in a hurry, get X360(I wouldn't even with that), or just wait a while.
shadowblade323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shadowblade323
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts
360 but wait until the price drop in few weeks/
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points