Win7 x64 - Wahts the big deal - I don't see an improvement...?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

I have recently installed the Beta Win 7 - I don't see a difference in performance. I've turned off all the unnecassary features to try and run it a lean as possible. Still idles @ atleast 600mb, minor issues with programs freezing. I can't stand the START menu config. options. The only decent things that I think help, are DX11 and preloaded drivers that made it easier to install on my rig.

So, waht's the hype all about? IMO, Might as well do another SP for Vista with DX11..

X~

Avatar image for LithuanianGamer
LithuanianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LithuanianGamer
Member since 2009 • 2997 Posts

improvements are MS started naming there OS after numbers:D

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xsan3

improvements are MS started naming there OS after numbers:D

LithuanianGamer

Hahaha-lol, that really did put a smile on my face. Thx. Ha :)

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Do remember that you are on a beta (actually Release Candidate if you installed the latest available). Things are not always going to work well on every single hardware configuration. Many of the changes in 7 are subtle UI and speed tweaks. Should it have been a SP? Possibly, but the Vista name is marketing poison at this point and they had little choice but to release a new product that would help them relaunch their brand. In my opinion this is why we are seeing lowered pricing schemes (with the preorder deal and the family 3-packs of licenses for discount rates). Windows 7 x64 runs very quick on my machine (quad core w/ 4 gigs of RAM), and honestly it runs even faster than XP. I would not be willing to go back.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xsan3

I'm not suggesting that it runs bad - nor does my system run slow. I'm stating taht - if a company is investing to improve a product - shouldn't there be improvements?? lol . I fail to see the Improvement from Vista 64 to Win7 64.

Avatar image for LithuanianGamer
LithuanianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LithuanianGamer
Member since 2009 • 2997 Posts

The name.Can you read ? :D

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 theragu40

I'm not suggesting that it runs bad - nor does my system run slow. I'm stating taht - if a company is investing to improve a product - shouldn't there be improvements?? lol . I fail to see the Improvement from Vista 64 to Win7 64.

Xsan3
Well that's your opinion (which you are entitled to have). I have used both Vista 64 and Win7 64, and I much MUCH prefer Win7. The subtle UI and speed tweaks I was talking about, along with XP mode, are more than I need for improvements. I guess i am biased because I never actually bought Vista 64, only used it at work...so I'm not losing anything by moving up to 7...but I really think 7 is a fairly significant step forward, despite most tweaks being usability-related.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

If you currently have vista switching to Windows 7 is a total waste of money.

I will switch to windows 7 when I am working on a new build though, for now, this computer will stay on vista. Why fix what isn't broken?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Xsan3
It doesn't have the negative connotations of being named Vista, also I like the UI tweaks and toned down UAC.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I think mostly its alot of under the hood improvements/tweaked UI/stripped down slightly/optimization and basically plugged everything that may have been wrong with Vista (for me I've had no problems really), but for me the differences between Vista 64 and Win 7 64 are not as clear as alot are making them out to be.

Although the differences arent leaping at me, I can see subtle changes and additions that I'm pleasently surprised about.

I've pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium E 64-bit Retail Edition for £49.99. As for us Europeans pre-ordering between the 15th July to August 1st with a participating retailer like Anvika.co.uk, why not get a full version for 50 quid?

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xsan3

I think the interesting thing is . . When the people who originally hated Vista and switched backimmediately to XP, and teh "Average" users that had a lot of issues with Vista - I can just imagine being sold a new Desk.or Laptop and being stuck with Win-7, and having the exact same response as they did withVista...

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theragu40

I think the interesting thing is . . When the people who originally hated Vista and switched backimmediately to XP, and teh "Average" users that had a lot of issues with Vista - I can just imagine being sold a new Desk.or Laptop and being stuck with Win-7, and having the exact same response as they did withVista...

Xsan3
I don't understand what you mean...how would people have the same issues? There were two main problems with Vista. The first was that when it was released it was extremely buggy and had poor driver support. The second is that it often came on OEM machines that did not have high enough specifications to properly handle Vista. Vista runs just fine on a machine with at least 2 gigs of RAM and a dual core processor. 7 is faster on slower hardware than Vista (and even XP), it is more reliable, has outstanding driver support, and is better looking and more efficient than Vista. If people complain about 7, then they do not know what they are talking about (just as people who still complain about Vista do not know what they are talking about - Vista is fine as long as you have updated to SP1).
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xsan3

I guess what I mean is, it uses alot of resources. Completly unfamiliar to the Average user. It may be a bit buggy - as u said urself, It's now in the developmental stage - so we have no idea how the polished version will actually be.

Further, I will say that I have enjoyed Vista very well. My machine has plenty of power and resources for it. I Love the simplicity of install. Once I got passed figuring out a couple setups - I agree that I would not return to XP or any other version of Windows (with the exception of 98se) I just think that people have a hard time with change, especially those who are'nt very comp. savvy. And it's too bad Vista has scorn itself with the general public and Windows had to try and completely change everything once again - yet - I still don't see the major improvements.

X~

brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Windows 7 on my computer uses 1gb just doing nothing. Thankfully I have 4gb total so it doesn't effect me. One thing I like about it is that it boots up fast.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xsan3

Well I certainly would'nt discourage anyone from getting Win7 nor Vista.

However, there is one thing that I can't help but to lingre in my brain. All of these tweaks-updates-and what ever gimmicks to make Windows more attractive for folks.

This is waht I'm trying to get at. For the typical base user, utilizing any of these operating systems, when will they ever see the improvements. I'll say the new OS's crash less. But I'm focusing on - When I click and open a program, or play a game, compress video and app files - - - Where's the improvement for any of that? When do any of us really see that all these new gimmicks and gadgets do anything better?

UI tweaks someone mentioned, when will I see that when Im on You Tube, or checking my hotmail???

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Keep in mind that now it's Vista that has stabilized drivers, whereas most drivers for Windows 7 are considered beta level at best. That means there's probably tons of debug level code running that is providing a lot more overhead than a release, stable level driver would have.
AdoringFan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdoringFan_
Member since 2009 • 1890 Posts

Kinda off topic guys, but I keep hearing that Vista will have DX11 too. How is that possible?I don't want to upgrade to Win7, and want to stay with Vist x64

Please help :)

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xsan3

Kinda off topic guys, but I keep hearing that Vista will have DX11 too. How is that possible?I don't want to upgrade to Win7, and want to stay with Vist x64

AdoringFan_

Jsut a stab in the dark - but my idea is taht it will be a simple upgrade like, WMP - and the DX series prior to XP. Ya know how games ask you - "would you like to upgrade to DX-9?" same goes with dx 6 7 8 etc...

AdoringFan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdoringFan_

[QUOTE="AdoringFan_"]

Xsan3

Jsut a stab in the dark - but my idea is taht it will be a simple upgrade like, WMP - and the DX series prior to XP. Ya know how games ask you - "would you like to upgrade to DX-9?" same goes with dx 6 7 8 etc...

So basically like a download from the internet right?

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xsan3

Well, that's just a speculation. Seems that would be the thing to do though..

AdoringFan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdoringFan_

Oh ok. Can anyone respond to my first post? I need the pros help about this. :)

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xsan3

AdoringFan_

The pros..? I'd wager that none of these folks are pros. Maybe you should write MS a letter??? ;)

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

If you currently have vista switching to Windows 7 is a total waste of money.

I will switch to windows 7 when I am working on a new build though, for now, this computer will stay on vista. Why fix what isn't broken?

SinfulPotato
ummmm, iam switching from Vista to Win7,,,although its purely because iam planning on buying a SSD and Win7 dominates Vista with SSD's!
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theragu40

AdoringFan_
Win7 is fundamentally similar to Vista, so I think it is pretty likely that DX11 will come to Vista as well as to Win7. DirectX is just a set of graphics directions. Microsoft probably could have ported DX10 to XP had they wanted to, but they were trying to use DX10 to push Vista sales (which did not really work). Keep in mind that you will likely have to upgrade your video card if you intend to upgrade to DX11 when it is launched. To answer what was being said about poor performance for the average user in relation to Vista...as I said - it runs *better* than Vista, and even faster than XP, even on lesser hardware. People are not going to be buying these as upgrades for current machines (of course some will - I am, for instance). Most people get their OS on OEM machines. The difference here is going to be that unlike Vista (which people instantly hated and wanted to be rid of), they won't have problems with Win7, because hardware has caught up to the times. Very few new computers are sold today that do not at least have dual core processors and 2 gigs of RAM (which will run Win7 just fine). Furthermore, I find the RC to be *extremely* stable and have had almost no trouble with drivers at all, even at this early stage. If it is at least this stable and easy to use when it launches, it will be WORLDS ahead of where Vista was at launch.
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts
[QUOTE="Xsan3"]

General_X
It doesn't have the negative connotations of being named Vista, also I like the UI tweaks and toned down UAC.

turn off UAC in vista and it'll be toned down
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rock_solid

I guess what I mean is, it uses alot of resources. Completly unfamiliar to the Average user. It may be a bit buggy - as u said urself, It's now in the developmental stage - so we have no idea how the polished version will actually be.

Further, I will say that I have enjoyed Vista very well. My machine has plenty of power and resources for it. I Love the simplicity of install. Once I got passed figuring out a couple setups - I agree that I would not return to XP or any other version of Windows (with the exception of 98se) I just think that people have a hard time with change, especially those who are'nt very comp. savvy. And it's too bad Vista has scorn itself with the general public and Windows had to try and completely change everything once again - yet - I still don't see the major improvements.

X~

Xsan3
vista APPEARS to use a lot of resources because of SUPERFETCH. so many people are confused about this.
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rock_solid

[QUOTE="AdoringFan_"]

Xsan3

The pros..? I'd wager that none of these folks are pros. Maybe you should write MS a letter??? ;)

i'm a pro. DX11 will be a downloadable update.
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rock_solid
Win7 is fundamentally similar to Vista, so I think it is pretty likely that DX11 will come to Vista as well as to Win7.theragu40
it has been confirmed by microsoft. google it.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theragu40
[QUOTE="theragu40"]Win7 is fundamentally similar to Vista, so I think it is pretty likely that DX11 will come to Vista as well as to Win7.rock_solid
it has been confirmed by microsoft. google it.

Ok. Just trying to up your post count? Sorry I didn't look it up instantly....I was right, was I not?
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
windows 7 and Intel i7 thats what.
Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

I really want to get a new OS, but I think it would be better to wait a while after Win7's release though.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I have Windows 7, it's incredibly fast, faster than Vista for sure. I love the new interface, it really is plain better. It does feel similar to Vista which is fine, but the ram usage is because it's storing all your common apps onto your ram (prefetch).
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts
I honestly don't noticed much of a difference between Vista and Windows 7 but that still won't stop me from upgrading. When you have a high end PC and lots of RAM I think you will be fine with Vista.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

so people are going to get owned again,hmmm...god how much i love XP and my Nvidia 8500GT

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JigglyWiggly_

so people are going to get owned again,hmmm...god how much i love XP and my Nvidia 8500GT

GazaAli

It's being discontinued June 30th 2010. I honestly can't wait for that day.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xsan3

[QUOTE="Xsan3"]

X~

rock_solid

vista APPEARS to use a lot of resources because of SUPERFETCH. so many people are confused about this.

Personally, I'm not confused about the SUPERFETCH application - however, I still don't see improvment of "speed" when opening a program or game; compared to Vista, XP or heck even 95, 98, ME, 2000 etc. It seems to me that SUPERFETCH is just an overendulgent HOG .

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="rock_solid"][QUOTE="Xsan3"]

X~

Xsan3

Personally, I'm not confused about the SUPERFETCH application - however, I still don't see improvment of "speed" when opening a program or game; compared to Vista, XP or heck even 95, 98, ME, 2000 etc. It seems to me that SUPERFETCH is just an overendulgent HOG .

95,98, and ME are all DOS, don't even compare them. 2000 on the other hand is NT, btw I use superfetch, it's lovely and I can tell. I mean I don't even get you guys, it minimizes its ram usage when something else needs it. So what is your problems??

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xsan3

Wholy COW !! I just disabled SUPERFETCH from my Win7 - and my resource went from idling at 700mb to 1.22GB

How does that make sense?

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
your using beta man go to MS site to see if you can get the RC1 version.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xsan3

Well, i turned the SUPERFETCH back on and the memory usage went back down to normal idle. currently @ 690mb with this site up..

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

I think win7 is a downgrade, maybe after it matures it will be good, but right now Ill just stay away.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xsan3

I think win7 is a downgrade, maybe after it matures it will be good, but right now Ill just stay away.

TerroRizing

With the Beta version - you could be right about that. My major reason for loading up Win7 were,

1) I needed to reinstall - rig was acting funny.

2) I was interested (of course).

3) Is it any better?

4) Might as well start learning to navigate the OS - cause no matter if people like it or not - it's coming!

BryB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BryB
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

Sorry if this was already mentioned. But so far it seems to me that windows 7 communicates much better with other versions of windows than vista did. I never had vista but other members of my family have struggled with local area network stuff withvista. Windows 7 seems to be doing a better job. Maybe Microsoft realised not everyone is going to get windows vista for all thier computers just so they can connect over LAN.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JigglyWiggly_

Sorry if this was already mentioned. But so far it seems to me that windows 7 communicates much better with other versions of windows than vista did. I never had vista but other members of my family have struggled with local area network stuff withvista. Windows 7 seems to be doing a better job. Maybe Microsoft realised not everyone is going to get windows vista for all thier computers just so they can connect over LAN.

BryB
What? I have vista pcs talking xp, and 2k8 pcs fine. I don't know what problem you had, probably different workgroup.
JBeasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JBeasty
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I think windows 7 is probably the same as vista with better support and without the bugs...basically its just what Vista was supposed to be IMO...anyway, every vista right now comes with a free voucher for windows 7, so hey ill take it, its free xD
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 theragu40

GazaAli
I suppose ignorance is bliss? 10 year old OS coupled with an outdated card...you're going to be hurting in a year or two if you want to continue playing games.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 theragu40

TerroRizing
That is just a completely ignorant statement. No one who has actually used Win7 would honestly say that.
AdoringFan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdoringFan_

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"]

theragu40

That is just a completely ignorant statement. No one who has actually used Win7 would honestly say that.

Well there is a beta you know ;)