Who cares about FOV?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I always try and set my FoV to as high as I can, usually there is a limit, so it doesn't look completely out of whack. @TheGreatOutdoor, Try checking the .ini file for bioshock, there is probably a FoV option there, or try googling it for an answer.
Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] ...Thats why I said Bioshock as my example. Have you played Bioshock with a wide FOV? Characters will pop in during cutscenes which looks really strange.

TheGreatOutdoor

How do you change the fov in Bioshock? I just loaded up my game and went to the graphics options and can't even find the option to adjust my FoV. So how do you adjust the fov in Bioshock?

I guess nobody knows then huh?

I guess using google is too hard for you.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_8.html

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

Just a general wondering... has anyone actually managed to find a way to increase the FOV in MW2 mp, that won't get you banned through VAC?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#54 Lach0121  Online
Member since 2007 • 11784 Posts

If there is an option, or it is adjustable, I usually use one that makes it seem like its not so low (zoomed in) and not so high (warped, almost fish-eyed)

I like to have a balance, so at 1680x1050 I usually go with an 75-85 (ex. cod4 mw I run it at 76 FOV, not too zoomed or warped, but I do get to see more to my sides over the default 65 fov.)

Not to mention though on some games it makes the gun seem longer and more realistic if you balance the FOV.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I care about FOV becouse if I have a game set at the standard console FOV its painful to play.

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

I've only been PC gaming for a few months and I've only messed around with FOV in a few games (BC2 chief among them) but that was a while ago and I don't remember how to change it. I know there is some file I have to go to but I don't remember what it is

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
I heard that BC2's FOV is vertical, not horizontalLox_Cropek
That would be correct, it however changes the horizontal FOV as well.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="mkaliaz"]

I'm positive that the majority of PC gamers do not care about FOV settings.JangoWuzHere

While I agree with you in your statement, it doesnt mean the guy above is wrong for what he said. Good graphics options and the support for the PC as a platform in general are very good reasons to choose whether to buy a game or not.

Yeah I'm all for that, I just don't see the point of FOV. Developers lock their FOV for a reason so other players don't get an unfair advantage. It also hurts the cinematic quality of games like in Bioshock.

If your getting pummelled in a particular game then you go to the forums to find out what you can do to improve. FOV doesnt offer much of an advantage like playing with a triple monitor setup. Wider fov would benefit a close quarters type player a little play but recon would be better off with default fov. Customizable controls for instance can offer more advantage than fov tweaks. You think the fov in Bioshock is for cinematic quality? Its for consolers who play 10 feet from their tv. I find the game more immersive and just as cinematic with the 100 fov I use.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
I think proper widescreen FOV lets you see more on the sides but less up top. nutcrackr
No, proper widescreen doesnt change vertical view.
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
You want a FOV that makes the game look good, especially for FPS games Look at the diffrence between the 60 and 200 in the picture posted previously, One is too zoomed in, not at eye level
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
Well, beyond the fact that you can see more, which has its advantages, I get a bit of a headache when the FOV is too tight.ProudLarry
Agreed. It makes a difference with pc games big time when you're up close to the monitor unlike console gaming. Fear 2's FOV made me not want to play the game at all. It just feels tight, and is very annoying. It is like looking through a tunnel or putting your hands up to the sides of your eyes.
deadesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deadesa
Member since 2005 • 1706 Posts

Again seeing you are clearly to slow to get it the first time around. I didn't know what to type to start my search. and lol at you thinking I am a kid. Sad that I have to type what I said twice for you.TheGreatOutdoor
He just told you he only typed your question. How do you not know how to type that into google? LOL.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I've never really cared about it
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]Again seeing you are clearly to slow to get it the first time around. I didn't know what to type to start my search. and lol at you thinking I am a kid. Sad that I have to type what I said twice for you.deadesa

He just told you he only typed your question. How do you not know how to type that into google? LOL.

There is a difference between knowing HOW to type it and knowing WHAT to type. If you wish to butt in, at least keep up.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamartto"][QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]Being a smart ass isn't impressing anybody, so save it. And google doesn't help when you don't know wth to type in the search engine.....DUH!!!

TheGreatOutdoor

I typed your question "How do you change the fov in Bioshock" and the second result was the tweakguides link, and I did a little bit of reading and found the answer. Stop being a lazy kid.

Again seeing you are clearly to slow to get it the first time around. I didn't know what to type to start my search. and lol at you thinking I am a kid. Sad that I have to type what I said twice for you.

And you wrote

How do you change the fov in Bioshock? I just loaded up my game and went to the graphics options and can't even find the option to adjust my FoV. So how do you adjust the fov in Bioshock?

How about by start typing your question into the google search box and hitting the Enter key or clicking the Google Search button.

And if you are not a kid then I assume you are a grown up adult, and that make things even worse.

Btw, you're welcome.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] ...Thats why I said Bioshock as my example. Have you played Bioshock with a wide FOV? Characters will pop in during cutscenes which looks really strange.

TheGreatOutdoor

The game doesn't support proper widescreen right of out of the box you need to patch it up to 1.1 which adds in support for widescreen and increasing the fov

http://www.gameborder.com/game/BioShock+Patch/

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DJ_Headshot

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"

...Thats why I said Bioshock as my example. Have you played Bioshock with a wide FOV? Characters will pop in during cutscenes which looks really strange.

I have and didn't get that when playing but a glitch in a particular game doesn't mean wide fov should be used strange that you got that where you using the 1.1 patch or the widescreen hack for bioshock?

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]How do you change the fov in Bioshock? I just loaded up my game and went to the graphics options and can't even find the option to adjust my FoV. So how do you adjust the fov in Bioshock?

DJ_Headshot

The game doesn't support proper widescreen right of out of the box you need to patch it up to 1.1 which adds in support for widescreen and increasing the fov

Um before I patched it, I had my res set to 1920x1080 (which is widescreen), so I have no clue what you are talking about.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DJ_Headshot

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]I guess nobody knows then huh?

TheGreatOutdoor

Um before I patched it, I had my res set to 1920x1080 (which is widescreen), so I have no clue what you are talking about.

Yeah it supported the resolution but didn't have not true widescreen the game was vertical - so it would cut off a portion of the top and bottom to create a "widescreen" image techincally wider but you see less then if you didn't have a widescreen monitor. This images shows how bioshocks widescreen worked before the patch the red part is what would be cut off if you had a widescreen monitor so your actually seeing less.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/08/bioshockwsshit.jpg

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
FOV is extremely extremely important.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

FOV is extremely extremely important.JigglyWiggly_

Yes I very much agree and smaller hud too.

Jesus_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jesus_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 2022 Posts

It would be nice if games supported changing the FOV in the in-game settings

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

With my current configuration to proportion, I will use a value of 100.39 horizontal FOV and 73.74 vertical FOV, in addition my hFOV will allow me to have more of a peripheral view minimizing my blind spots in a 3D space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHsfQS9p_Y&#t=2m46s

Marvelous.

die3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 die3
Member since 2004 • 297 Posts

Don't know if this has been said already, but a wrong FOV could cause nausea with some players.

I, for example, experienced problems with Metro 2033, because the FOV was too low. When I increased the FOV the problem was reduced (not that it was the only thing causing it, but it helped a lot).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
..... Field of View IS important. It what stops the game from seeming like you are looking through a lens, and actually seeming real.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
FOV is a comfort thing honestly, that is all. I'm usually fine with the default FOV in games. I did have to raise Unreal tournament 3 and TF2's up a bit to make it more comfortable though.
BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Epic difference, especially if you're looking for stuff on the ground .. Default  110
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#82 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

I've never messed with FOV settings. It actually shocks me that this has passed me by unnoticed over the years.

Still, I'm not sure I'll mess with them much... I game on my PC often but it's looked up to my 50" TV so I'm not sitting on top of my monitor like I used to. This way I still get the big screen and the surround sound from my living room. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard ftw :-) But yeah, point being that if I made the FOV too wide, it might be a detriment to me sitting back from the TV.

Regardless, this has been a very informative thread.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Console games have very low FOV which means theres less to render on screen and allows the consoles limited hardware to reach higher FPS. PC gamers are used to a much higher FOV and going from a high FOV to a low FOV is not just annoying but it can actually make people feel sick. The thing that annoys me most about console FPS is the low FOV.

Take GRAW and GRAW2 for example, if you have the game put it on and look at the floor, the floor looks so close to your face that it looks like your lying down. LOW fov takes away depth perception, limits view range and makes you feel sick all at once. Another game that has this problem is HALO 2, not as much as GRAW but its still very annoying when the guns take up most of what you see on the screen.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

For me it's the difference between enjoying a game and being sick, the most "horrible" examples would be HL 2, Ep 1, 2, Portal (before the update that included FOV settings, because for some reason I was never able to change the FOV in any source game, no from the console, not from steam and not form the shortcut), Far Cry 2 and BC 2 there are others but these ones were horrible.

90 FOV is perfect, I can't play a game without 90 or something similar (BC2).