When will there be a winner?? (hd-dvd vs blu-ray)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
when will this format war be over? i really want an hd-dvd player but i dont want to adopt to one early, buy dvds, and then end up having blu-ray be the new format and ill be screwed.  so how long do you think it will be before this whole format war thing is over?
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BlacKJaCK2290
Member since 2005 • 1775 Posts
Honestly? no one can really say for sure. You'll get alot of people proclaiming BD or HD DVD the victor but saying that is premature. It will be at least a couple years.
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dcowboys3315
and i guess it wouldn't be 2 smart 2 pick one now would it?
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlacKJaCK2290
If you have expendable cash then it wouldn't be that big of deal. Personally i'd only get in if you plan to go with both formats, and even then theres always the possibility of one losing.
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dcowboys3315
i guess i could get the hd-dvd now and then if blu-ray ends up winning in a couple of yrs ill just wait for those blu-ray/hd-dvd players go down so then i could just use both.
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlacKJaCK2290
Yeah i mean if you have a 360 the add-on isn't really as much of an investment as a standalone.
dmanrevived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dmanrevived
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
I have a feeling that the price of HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo players are going to drop in price enough for the average consumer to buy before the next gen war is over, and people will just end up adopting both technologies. There're just too many studios backing each format, and no one wants to be the first to switch sides.
BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

i guess i could get the hd-dvd now and then if blu-ray ends up winning in a couple of yrs ill just wait for those blu-ray/hd-dvd players go down so then i could just use both.dcowboys3315

That's what I did.  I went ahead and got the add-on because $200 isn't that much money, and if it fails 2-3 years from now......1) It will still play the movies that I have for it.....and...2) Blu-ray only players or combo players will be much cheaper, maybe only $200 - $300 by then so it's not that big of deal.

With my luck though, they will both turn out to be like my SACD's and DVD-A's :(

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
cus sony is backing it blu ray is ahead but i find that hd dvd has alot bigger movies
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I think it may be a couple of years before the war is truly over...unless something crazy happens in the interim.

Most people don't care about HD. Most people don't even know how to hook up their equipment properly. Heck, I'd imagine most people with DVD players the past few years only had them hooked up to their TVs with the included composite cables. These people obviously are not concerned with image quality, they only care about two things - price and convenience. These people are responsible for studios still selling fullscreen versions of movies!

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray offer nothing new in terms of convenience, since they're the same basic digital format as DVDs. DVDs were huge because they didn't wear out like VHS and you didn't have to rewind them. All they offer is picture quality. I would say bonus features due to increased size, but when you've got stuff like the extended LOTR or Kingdom of Heaven 4 DVD sets...I don't think it's an issue.

I'm mostly curious how fast the HD formats will even move, since I don't see them being as big a hit as DVDs. Not when you have to buy a whole new TV to benefit.

dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dcowboys3315
well i have a 57" sony hd projection tv. i have a progressive scan dvd player with component cables. will i still see a big difference between those dvds and hd-dvds with a projection tv?
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlacKJaCK2290
On a screen that size if you have your tv properly set up the difference in picture quality will amaze you.
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dcowboys3315
i didnt change anything to the settings of the tv i just kept it how it was when i got it. is there a certain way i should have it set up for the best quality
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlacKJaCK2290
Well the easy way is to get something like DVE and calibrate it. The hard more expensive way is to get a ISF technician to calibrate it. Stock settings are ... well stock
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dcowboys3315
will i still see a big difference even with a projection tv?
BlacKJaCK2290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlacKJaCK2290
Do you mean a Rear Projection CRT? Yeah ... you'll still notice the difference. I have lugged my HD-A1 down here numerous times to watch movies on the big screen and they look spectacular.
laez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 laez
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
I have a feeling that the price of HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo players are going to drop in price enough for the average consumer to buy before the next gen war is over, and people will just end up adopting both technologies. There're just too many studios backing each format, and no one wants to be the first to switch sides.dmanrevived
HD-DVD only has 1 major studio backing it exclusively. Blu-Ray has 5.
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts

I think it may be a couple of years before the war is truly over...unless something crazy happens in the interim.

Most people don't care about HD. Most people don't even know how to hook up their equipment properly. Heck, I'd imagine most people with DVD players the past few years only had them hooked up to their TVs with the included composite cables. These people obviously are not concerned with image quality, they only care about two things - price and convenience. These people are responsible for studios still selling fullscreen versions of movies!

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray offer nothing new in terms of convenience, since they're the same basic digital format as DVDs. DVDs were huge because they didn't wear out like VHS and you didn't have to rewind them. All they offer is picture quality. I would say bonus features due to increased size, but when you've got stuff like the extended LOTR or Kingdom of Heaven 4 DVD sets...I don't think it's an issue.

I'm mostly curious how fast the HD formats will even move, since I don't see them being as big a hit as DVDs. Not when you have to buy a whole new TV to benefit.

DJ_Lae

very true. i've gone through my setup making sure i've used all component cables for video and optical cables for audio and that everything is optimized for the best performance. i was at my uncles house and he asked me to fix something in the back of his tv for him. its an hdtv with a receiver and a dvd player. his equipment was so good and yet all i saw were red yellow and white composite cables all around. not even s-video. i told him about it and he was like "whatever i dont mind".
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

DJ_Lae

HD-DVD and bluray offer more than just better picture quality, if you use HDMI and have a good receiver they also offer far superior audio.

dmanrevived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dmanrevived
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
[QUOTE="dmanrevived"]I have a feeling that the price of HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo players are going to drop in price enough for the average consumer to buy before the next gen war is over, and people will just end up adopting both technologies. There're just too many studios backing each format, and no one wants to be the first to switch sides.laez
HD-DVD only has 1 major studio backing it exclusively. Blu-Ray has 5.

Yeah, I was mistaken. Some of the studios I had in mind aren't backing it exclusively like you said.