What's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like? Is it a good FPS?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm getting more and more interested in this game but I want to know more about it. Is it a good game?

Also, are their any known bugs in the game? I also heard people talk about how the game feels unfinished or it was impossible to complete the single player game because of bugs or because the game wasn't finished before retail. Are these true or is the game just fine?

Anyway, any info on this game would be much appreciated. Thanks.

GODFLESH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GODFLESH_basic
Member since 2003 • 1018 Posts
I just got it off Steam a few days ago, so far I love it, great believable atmosphere. Hefty sys requirements though.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

It's one of my favourite games of all time, I think it's really good and I beat it twice without any patches to fix the bugs.

But your concern about bugs n all, they got patches for that and for updated graphics but I thought the graphics were fine, anyways you need to play it, it's a pretty epic game I think, Set a standard for fps gaming.

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts

I'm getting more and more interested in this game but I want to know more about it. Is it a good game?

Also, are their any known bugs in the game? I also heard people talk about how the game feels unfinished or it was impossible to complete the single player game because of bugs or because the game wasn't finished before retail. Are these true or is the game just fine?

ASK_Story

these are the worst questions...you obviously know about the bugs, since you just said them

and as far as it being a good game, you are just taking such a small percentage of biased opinions into consideration...buy the game for yourself, if you enjoy ANY shooters, you will probably like this

the game actually ran fine for me, but a lot of people have problems

the multiplayer is fun, but good luck finding an American server

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
its pretty meh
Zaher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zaher
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Great game!Finishedvanilla version3 times, and now installed AMK mod and play it again like a new game. Thats about replay value. Also, after patch 1.4, almost all existing minor bugs dissapeared.

And i agree, this game set new standart for FPS games.It was underrated cause of bugs, but now it is very enjoyable.

Avanaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avanaro
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
it gets sooooo intence man, i love it i guess u could say it gets hard too but lol man it all good
Atlas_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Atlas_FTW
Member since 2007 • 565 Posts

its pretty mehinyourface_12

I hated STALKER because it was an unbalanced bug-fest. Many people loved it, so buy a used copy on ebay and enjoy!

Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
it was awesome. Until there was a bug and i couldnt continue with the story.. LOL.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

these are the worst questions...you obviously know about the bugs, since you just said them

and as far as it being a good game, you are just taking such a small percentage of biased opinions into consideration...buy the game for yourself, if you enjoy ANY shooters, you will probably like this

darkSIDEechoes

Obviously, he is trying to ascertain how widespread and severe the bugs are. "Buy the game for yourself"? Maybe he doesn't have $30 to spend on a potentially crappy/broken game.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts
Thought STALKER was great (my fav game so far this year), and had no problems completing it :)
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
I haven't had any bugs, or at least that I noticed, I finished the games to get one of the quicker dumb endings, but I think Ill play again and try to get the good ending...whatever it may be.
xDestroyer666x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xDestroyer666x
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts
intense, dark mood & vibe goin on. Very original and looks amazing on a nice rig.. Well worth it
death5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 death5ter
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

Started playing it last 2 weeks....

Not my usual type of FPS, kinda like Oblivion-esque FPS style of gameplay, but the intriguing storyline and the freedom to go somewhere else makes me go through this game...

Im at Agrophom Sewers...

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
it gets old real fast after at least one completion of the game, but you can't deny that it's pretty original.
hatefull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 hatefull
Member since 2004 • 186 Posts

intense, dark mood & vibe goin on. Very original and looks amazing on a nice rig.. Well worth itxDestroyer666x

yep. thats the game

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darkSIDEechoes
[QUOTE="darkSIDEechoes"]

Herrick

Obviously, he is trying to ascertain how widespread and severe the bugs are. "Buy the game for yourself"? Maybe he doesn't have $30 to spend on a potentially crappy/broken game.

then dont buy it lol

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkSIDEechoes
[QUOTE="darkSIDEechoes"]

Herrick

im sure he doesnt want people like YOU speaking for him, well i dont want you to speak either so HA lol jk

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

STALKERS gameplay is like any other shooter, only it has an inventory system (by which you equip armor, weapons, and artifacts) and it is open-world like Oblivion.

The setting is cool, and the story is neat.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

the most impressive thing with s.t.a.l.k.e.r is that, at least early on, there is a focus on surviving over killing, every fight is a fight for your life, and there's a very strong sense of the lethality of enemies as you engage them

it reminded me of operation flashpoint - i felt like any stray bullet could end it, and i had to play extremely cautiously, hunting - stalking - my enemies

unfortunately, it isn't very well maintained - the game degenerates into run n gunnery around the 1/3 point, and from then on it, firefights are really an exercise in scoping people in the head from relative safety, or just charging them to shotgun then popping a bandage to cure your bleed

s.t.a.l.k.e.r has some awesome ideas, some of which are well implemented, some of which aren't - it's rough around the edges, and it gets worse the further in you get

but it costs pocket change now, and those first few hours are pretty awesome in my opinion, definitely worth a play

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
it's a great game, different than most out. i was really unsure about it, thought it wasnt my type, me liking usually just fps games and not rpg games or anything else. after playing it i wanted to play it again
Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
Everything was fine for me except the action. Guns are too weak and you have a hard time getting the aim on your enemy. I think the game would have worked better with a third person view and. I am comparing it to something like Unreal Tournament 2004 or FEAR. There you have total control over your weapons and you feel it. In Stalker its a lot like 'spray and pray'..early in the game anyway. It is realistic in a way..and at the same time unbelievably uncomfortable to play. Environments are awesome and so is everything else really. EXCEPT the combat. Thats just my opinion. The combat isnt so bad that you cant play the game, because i did go through it once, it just isnt on par with other shooters in terms of gameplay. If this was not an issue and the bugs were fixed, this game would definitely get editors chocie from gamespot. But it didnt.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I didn't have many expectations when i got STALKER. Id heard it was full of buys and some people couldn't even run it. After playing through it once and on my second time around, its the most enjoyable game ive played in a long time. It's also now the creepiest game, the atmosphere is awesome. Better than games like Doom3 who just throw you in a dark room and have a monster jump out. Thats not scary, its predictable. STALKER creates an atmosphere and a large play area with lots of things to do.

STALKER is one of the best games ive played and anyone thats curious should definatly check it out. I didn't notice that many bugs and the game was definatly playable.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

im sure he doesnt want people like YOU speaking for him, well i dont want you to speak either so HA lol jk

darkSIDEechoes

Nah, it's not that I'm speaking for him. I'm just using a little reasoning to see why he asked the questions he did. If he wasn't worried about bugs or money, then he'd most likely just "buy the game & find out for himself" instead of making this thread.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Great Game.

Needs the 1.004 patch though.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I liked STALKER more than BioShock.
commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts
i liked Bioshock more then STALKER =D....but..also liked Crysis more then other thing......T_Tshame...
Magebane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Magebane
Member since 2003 • 362 Posts

Stalker was "OK" to me. Have to run in windowed mode because it has a skybox glitch, dunno why people are so enveloped in the story. There are some nice touches, but the game is obviously foreign, and in so its production values are meh.

The open ended way it works is somewhat cool, but you still have to follow the story etc.

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkSIDEechoes
[QUOTE="darkSIDEechoes"]

Herrick

Nah, it's not that I'm speaking for him. I'm just using a little reasoning to see why he asked the questions he did. If he wasn't worried about bugs or money, then he'd most likely just "buy the game & find out for himself" instead of making this thread.

im done with you herrick, DONE i say

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
Stalker is a great unfinished game. The graphics are great (could be a lot better yes, no doubt about it), the story is nice (kinda what to expect when you know the setting) and the setting is very nice (my favorite setting for an FPS game) BUT it does have lots of bugs and is VERY unoptimized, even high-end computers are having trouble running the game smoothly I hear. My computer is one year old and it's not possible to run with the highest settings (still higher than average though). Some people say they have encountered bugs that made it impossible to continue to story The game also has a lot of annoyances, as there's A LOT of backtracking: e.g. it takes a long time to walk from one part of the map to another (try that with a filled backpack, then you'll have to stop every few minutes to recharge your energy) and at the end of the game you'll hear some russian guy keep talking to you, and if you don't understand Russian it'll only annoy you (like it did me) You might want to wait for the expansion pack (?) called Clear Sky as that should take care of some of the problems. It's set to be released early 2008 IIRC I liked this, still play MP from time to time (even though MP is pretty "thin")
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Is interesting at the beginning but after a while is boring
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01

@ ADG

the 1.004 patch fixes most of the bugs, and makes the game run MUCH better. There is a dramatic performance increase.

And BTW Clear Sky is the prequal to Stalker, not just an expansion ;)

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ADG_
The patch is probably why I like the game better as others, I didn't play Stalker until the 1.004 patch was released, so I don't know how it was before that. But even with the patch there's still lots of problems with the game :) I couldn't remember if Clear Sky was an expansion or prequel or sequel or whatever (haven't really read much about it). I'd still call it an expansion pack (though standalone), because it uses the the same engine as Stalker (no matter if the story takes place before or after the game. But I guess that's just my way of defining XPacks :)
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01

The patch is probably why I like the game better as others, I didn't play Stalker until the 1.004 patch was released, so I don't know how it was before that. But even with the patch there's still lots of problems with the game :) I couldn't remember if Clear Sky was an expansion or prequel or sequel or whatever (haven't really read much about it). I'd still call it an expansion pack (though standalone), because it uses the the same engine as Stalker (no matter if the story takes place before or after the game. But I guess that's just my way of defining XPacks :)ADG_
Ah, well prior to the 1.004 it was alot worse.

As for the prequal, well i'd say it is a fitting one, rather than just an expansion - even if it running off the same engine. Heck it looks even better - on the same engine.

31337r4v3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 31337r4v3n
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
stalker was horrible....other than fear, one of the most unoptomized games ever created. It looks like its 8 years old. Voice acting was horrible. The storyline sucked..a bunch of mercs haning out around chernobyl...? huh...why? your better off getting orange box or waiting till november when 11 different games come out....I LOVE FPSs by the way and this was a MAJOR dissapointment...dont let these people tell you it was good becaue they got themselves so hyped up it would have been good even if it was never released (you know those kinda people) IT SUX
N_Jean85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N_Jean85
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I thought it was great.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I haven't played it in a while. When I did, I was underwhelmed by the gameplay but massively impressed by the environments and atmosphere :) I'm going to start playing it again.
xithrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xithrix
Member since 2006 • 583 Posts
GREAT START! lastest me like 7hours... then i throwed in some mods to "make it go faster" and it lastet me another 10 hours... not a good gametime for the price...
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

ASK_Story

You need to install the 1.0004 patch - without it the game is full of bugs. But don't expect the game to be perfect even with the latest patch installed. The game has problems, for sure. The job system is kind of broken. But, if you are able to look past these bad things you will still find a great game.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

dont let these people tell you it was good becaue they got themselves so hyped up it would have been good even if it was never released (you know those kinda people) IT SUX31337r4v3n

LOL, no way, not everyone :) I went in not expecting much, but found I really enjoyed STALKER (my favorite game so far this year as mentioned before). To each their own.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skrat_01

/\ yea its defitnaly one of my favourites this year.

Even though it has borrowed heavily from Roadside Picnic *novel*, and the film Stalker, it is a fantastic game - and I much rather the games setting, than the inspired film or books.

Hell the game originally was going be almost identical (ive been following stalker since the first tibbits of information lol).

I do hope Clear Sky doesent break up areas with loading screens, and partion off areas with little fences though...

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ADG_
I do hope Clear Sky doesent break up areas with loading screensskrat_01
Why not? I doubt it will break up with areas part, as based on how the map looks it's quite a walk between some of the parts. I hope they manage to make the loading time between the areas shorter
homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
STALKER is a great game. Its very atmospheric an a bit disturbing in places, it gives me the creeps! Anyway, if you have Vista don't bother with this game as it will only run for a couple of mins even with the 1.4 patch.
darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darkSIDEechoes

/\ yea its defitnaly one of my favourites this year.

Even though it has borrowed heavily from Roadside Picnic *novel*, and the film Stalker, it is a fantastic game - and I much rather the games setting, than the inspired film or books.

Hell the game originally was going be almost identical (ive been following stalker since the first tibbits of information lol).

I do hope Clear Sky doesent break up areas with loading screens, and partion off areas with little fences though...

skrat_01

the book and movie were pretty good, I see why they decided to make a game about it

btw, there is a movie being made called "Roadside Picnic" which is the original story (before the game and movie) its being remade but it is more action-oriented....so keep a look out!

kristjanp07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 kristjanp07
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts
whats da game like? well... lots of bugs, bad ending, open world, not lots to do, umm... anyway dont bother its only about 20 hours worth of gameplay.
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ADG_
Anyway, if you have Vista don't bother with this game as it will only run for a couple of mins even with the 1.4 patch. homebrew197516
Works fine with Vista here
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skrat_01

the book and movie were pretty good, I see why they decided to make a game about it

btw, there is a movie being made called "Roadside Picnic" which is the original story (before the game and movie) its being remade but it is more action-oriented....so keep a look out!

darkSIDEechoes
Awesome thanks for the heads up, i'll defitnaly be keeping an eye out for it.
darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 darkSIDEechoes
[QUOTE="darkSIDEechoes"]

skrat_01

Awesome thanks for the heads up, i'll defitnaly be keeping an eye out for it.

eh i just read that it has john travolta...so im not sure how good it can honestly be...

homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

[QUOTE="homebrew197516"]Anyway, if you have Vista don't bother with this game as it will only run for a couple of mins even with the 1.4 patch. ADG_
Works fine with Vista here

Interseting. I have a duel boot machine and it works no problem in XP, but I can only play it for a couple of min in Vista before it drops back to the desktop. I have all latest driver etc.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts

ASK_Story
STALKER is definately MUST HAVE game:)