What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game and why?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rcrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 rcrogue
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
What is your favorite game from The Elder Scrolls series and why? Mine is Oblivion.
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim, but I have to say, I like Skyrim much more. 

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Mine's Morrowind, I guess partially because it was the first one I played, but I find the world to be way more attractive and immersive. Oblivion and Skyrim are just too realistic IMO and bland if played without modding them.
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
Skyrim, the mods. WIth a fully modded out game it's one of the best games ever
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Only played Skyrim and Oblivion, but overall I like Skyrim more. Though I liked the landscape of Oblivion more, I like lush forests and plains of Oblivion compared to the snowy, mountainous Skyrim.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Oblivion.. Morrowind is fun but i dont really like the text based dialogue

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I'm at a loss.

Morrowind was great with such a big open world with tons of great quests and interesting dialouge to be had along with intriquing characters (which Oblivion has as well, don't get me wrong but not as abundant as Morrowind). On top of that it's really just a great realized world, I feel. I love all the places, I love the atmosphere and feel that the whold world goes for, I love the exploration, and I love just, practically everything of that game. Now...take off the rose tinted glasses and I'm not so sure, really. Sure Morrowind had such a big open world but that was also one of it's weaknesses; it was maybe a little too big.

Too easy to get lost and not know where you're going and be lost for days just roaming the open trying to find your way back to a little area/city and that could get really tedious really fast. On top of that, a lot of the gameplay elements of it are now at this point just rather archaic. I know the combat system isn't the most praised thing for an Elder Scrolls game but I think it's fine especially in Oblivion and Skyrim where you just whack an enemy and straight up hit it rather than all this BS turn based RPG combined with real time combat hybrid crap. I get that it's very much more RPG centric than say the action combat of Oblivion and Skyrim but I guess I just prefer the 'I swing and hit it every time' than the 'Swing and pray that you hit because of you're skill preferences'. Also, yeah the whol text based thing is also kind of a turn off at some points; it felt more like every NPC was a walking encyclopedia rather than an actual citizen of a town and, again personal preferences, I did not really like that.

Yeah you could say that Oblivion and Skyirm are casualized and mainstream compared to like what Morrowind offered what with the amount of armor choices Morrowind gave you and the diseases you could catch and spells you could do and all that kind of stuff; but, honestly, I kind of like them that way. I like that I don't have to worry as much with diseases as I did in Morrowind, I don't have to worry about skill progression problems, I just put on X, train A,B,C,D,E,and F, and just go out into the world and whatever comes my way I can easily deal with it.

I wouldn't call Oblivion or Skyrim casualized as, really, what they got rid of from Morrowind I feel was really nothing big or meaningful to my overall experience in Morrowind (say the armor slots and potions and spells) or anything that really added any depth or complexity to the game. I would call Oblivion and Skyrim more streamlined and to a point rather than this huge jumbled up mess of items and managing that Morrowind went for. Honestly, it's funny how people bash Oblivion and Skyrim for how much content they give like it overwhelms the game and ends up hurting the experience rather than helping when, in reality, Morrowind is the exact same thing to me if even worse just because of sheer size and larger amount of content offered.

I still love Morrowind, mind you. The atmosphere, the traveling, the people, the music, the variety of creatures, and, hey, after you finally get over the combat system it's a great feeling to take downa  mighty foe with just your bare fists (and Daedra axe that you conjured up to defend yourself); but, Oblivion (and really I can only speak for Oblivion as I have yet to get Skyrim) fixed a lot of my issues I had with Morrowind. Not too small but smaller land that was much more managable than Morrowind, less things to keep track of and worry over, NPC interaction is much better (imo), more memorable quests, much better gameplay and combat, a still interesting world to explore even though the land size was cut back, and, I can't say this any better, it was a better "game" in a sense. I love Morrowind and the expereince but Oblivion (and probably Skyirm) nailed the "game" aspect just right while Morrowind fell short of it.

It's tough...ah f*ck it. I like them all, I love Morrowind, I love Oblivion, and when I get Skyrim I will love it all the same. My favorite gaming series at the moment and probably of all time (I've not played many series but even still I doubt they'd top what Morrowind, Oblivion, and soon to be Skyrim have given me in terms of enjoyment, fun, and memories).

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Hard to decide between Morrowind and Skyrim.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
My experience is limited to 3 games, morrowind, oblivion and skyrim. morrowindwas a great world but sooo incredibly slow and the interiors were claustrophobic. It had gamebreaking bugs in the goty version preventing me from progressing. oblivion was an awesome game and the first time I spent a great deal of time finding mods on tesnexus to add companions or tweak graphics. story was bleh skyrim was obvliion with more snow for me. looks better, great mods and a better campaign. Obl = skyrim > morrowind
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Goyoshi12

oblivion was an awesome game and the first time I spent a great deal of time finding mods on tesnexus to add companions or tweak graphics. story was blehnutcrackr

Story wasn't the best, true; but....f*ck....that ending cinematic, man. With Martin fighting Mehrunes Dagon? That was the best.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Definitely Skyrim. I have played Morrowind and Oblivion. I would place Oblivion dead last, and I hate that game with a passion.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Goyoshi12

Definitely Skyrim. I have played Morrowind and Oblivion. I would place Oblivion dead last, and I hate that game with a passion.Elann2008

"It's just an opinion, it's just an opinion, it's just an opinion...."

Ah f*ck it. LET ME AT 'EM, LET ME AT 'EM!

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts
Hard to decide between Morrowind and Skyrim.Rattlesnake_8
I agree i'm having trouble deciding between Skyrim and Morrowind. I absolutely loved both.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Morrowind. I thought it had the most customization, content, and atmosphere. It took me a really long time before digesting the bulk of it, unlike Oblivion which took me only 30 hours to experience the most of it.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Didn't play the first one and only watched a little of the second being played, I never got into Morrowind as much as other people not really my kind of game, but can definitely appreciate it for what it was and it always seemed to have a better atmosphere, better writing, and did a better job presenting a more intesting world. Without considering PC mods. Oblivion was probably very impressive for console gamers and was enjoyable when it came out but it's not something I would want to go back to. Skyrim is a broken mess of a game.

I guess I would say Morrowind. Probably Skyrim if the PC modding community fixed the game, and I would assume any of the people writing new quests were probably better writers then Bethesda.

halikuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 halikuno
Skyrim as the graphics are far superior!
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Morrowind because it have a interesting world, no hand holding, better character system and overall simply a better game compared to oblivion that is a bland auto generated mess and skyrim that is only about handholding and dumbing down.
gMcR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gMcR
Member since 2004 • 216 Posts

I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim, but I have to say, I like Skyrim much more. 

SystemsGO

Same here. Oblivion felt empty and clunky, and the story was pretty weak for an RPG. Not that the story in Skyrim is much better, but it was definitely a better game overall.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Heavily modded Morrowind >> Slightly modded Skyrim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion

Orbin121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Orbin121
Oblivion is far the best it has an amazing story i like skyrim but the boss fight at the end sucked and dragons were not hard at all. oblivion was more of a challenge and had awesome DLC and it had the arena.
WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

I'd go with Skyrim, Oblivions good an' all, but doesn't even compare closely.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#23 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I've played Oblivion and Skyrim for over a thousand hours each, so it would have to be one of those.  The main reason is that they have such interesting worlds to explore, and you never know what you're going to find around the next corner, or stuck out in the wilderness.  I'm an explorer at heart, so that sense of freedom and discovery appeals to me.  I also love archery and stealth, and I think Bethesda managed to get those aspects right in both of these games.

If I really had to choose between them, I would give a slight edge to Oblivion GOTY, modded with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and a few others.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Morrowind was good. Oblivion took 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Skyrim fell in a pit of snakes and was swollowed whole by a boa constrictor. Modding was like the ladder out of that pit, and the Steam Workshop was like an elevator out of that pit. But still, Skyrim was the worst of the 3 I played.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I've played all three games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim). Overall, I liked Skyrim the best. 

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've played Oblivion and Skyrim for over a thousand hours each, so it would have to be one of those.  The main reason is that they have such interesting worlds to explore, and you never know what you're going to find around the next corner, or stuck out in the wilderness.  I'm an explorer at heart, so that sense of freedom and discovery appeals to me.  I also love archery and stealth, and I think Bethesda managed to get those aspects right in both of these games.

If I really had to choose between them, I would give a slight edge to Oblivion GOTY, modded with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and a few others.

Gallowhand
Coming from Morrowind, I thought Oblivion and Skyrim didn't have much to reward exploration at all. In fact, Oblivion did nothing at all and Skyrim did very little.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Out of Oblivion,Morrowind and Skyrim (the ones I've played), Skyrim with mods is just amazing, probably one of the most replayable games ever made.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

1. Morrowind

2. Daggerfall

3. Skyrim

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Skyrim was my favorite.  I thought it was great without even having to install a single mod.  With mods it's one of the best games I ever played.

Oblivion was good with mods.  Without mods Oblivion was terrible.

Nothing can save Morrowind.  Just a crap game.  Difficulty design was just stupid.  It was hard for only the first few levels.  Once you have money to use trainers the game became a big joke.  Couldn't even finish it.  Story and gameplay are extremely boring.  Couldn't bring myself to continue playing after about 40 hours of a borefest.  Didn't really like any of the game play mods for morrowind.  The only mods that help morrowind are graphic mods.  Though even if you shine up a turd it's still a turd.

rcrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rcrogue
I was never really a fan of the story line of the main quest in Skyrim, I am not a fan of dragons. They are more of a burden than an fun experience.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Goyoshi12

I was never really a fan of the story line of the main quest in Skyrim, I am not a fan of dragons. They are more of a burden than an fun experience.rcrogue

Same can be said about the Oblivion gates.

rcrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rcrogue
The arena was pretty awesome, i was sad when i reached the end. Fighting creatures just wasn't the same for me :D
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#33 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I haven't played much of the others but I think Skyrim is a triumph. These days you're lucky to get 5 hours out of a campaign and yet I've played Skyrim for 78 hours.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Goyoshi12

I haven't played much of the others but I think Skyrim is a triumph. These days you're lucky to get 5 hours out of a campaign and yet I've played Skyrim for 78 hours. biggest_loser

If you can get into the other Elder Scrolls games they're all pretty much like that, though; maybe even longer.

Cyrez60659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyrez60659
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
I played Oblivion a lot more but I think I prefer Skyrim. Skyrim was a big improvement for TES series.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I've played both Oblivion and Skyrim and neither blew me away. That being said I think that I did prefer Skyrim somewhat. That world was more interesting, the combat was better, and the quests were generally more engaging. Both fail to match Fallout 3 or New Vegas imo but that's an entirely different conversation.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Im going to have to say Skyrim. I have to mod Morrowind and Oblivion to play them. Oblivion gates are a nuisance. Dragons are kind of mindless in Skyrim. 

Morrowind combat is hard to accept for me since i like being able to use kb/ mouse skills to hack, slash and dodge enemies.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
Eh I gotta say Morrowind for a simple reason, neither Oblivion nor Skyrim took up as much of my free time as Morrowind. There was simply more to read and more to do, more skills, more items, more of everything except polish.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Morrowind. It was vastly superior in terms of depth and being a cohesive game world. How anybody likes Oblivion, let alone more than the other games, is beyond me.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.

I hope you're joking. The game is like $35 here now and has more value than anything I can remember released in the last two and a half years.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Goyoshi12

Morrowind. It was vastly superior in terms of depth and being a cohesive game world. How anybody likes Oblivion, let alone more than the other games, is beyond me.LongZhiZi

Hi.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.biggest_loser
I hope you're joking. The game is like $35 here now and has more value than anything I can remember released in the last two and a half years.

Not only that but $5? Not even Morrowind is that cheap on Steam.

Come on, what have you got to lose? 10-30 hours of your life to one game? Hey, it's ONE game. That's pretty small if you compare it to alll the other games that you've played.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

OP: "Which is your favorite and why?" *Picks favorite, doesn't explain why*

Uh, okay...

My favorite is Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim were a bit boring to me since they were too 'real'. There's pine trees and oak trees and wolves and bears. Morrowind had mushroom trees and guars and silt striders. The world was much more interesting. The story was as well. Skyrim was just 'evil creature wants to destroy world, kill it!'

Morrowind's gameplay needed some streamlining, but they took it too far. Removing the attributes was a bad idea IMO. They also removed several useful spells like jump and unlock. I hate level scaling as well. It makes leveling up feel pointless if all the enemies are just as strong as I am anyway.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.

No I am not joking. I don't support games releasing in beta form. To show my distaste, I am waiting til I can get it for $5.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.Goyoshi12

Come on, what have you got to lose? 10-30 hours of your life to one game? Hey, it's ONE game. That's pretty small if you compare it to alll the other games that you've played.

Do you not understand what "go on sale" means?. Morrowind goes for $5 on Steam all the time. I have lost count how many times I have seen Morrowind on sale for $5 on steam.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Favorite=Oblivion Reason=Only one I have played. :P Waiting for Skyrim to go on sale on Steam for $5 to buy it.

No I am not joking. I don't support games releasing in beta form. To show my distaste, I am waiting til I can get it for $5.

I don't get what you mean by that. Skyrim has loads of patches and mods by now and there aren't that many technical issues as you're assuming (since you haven't actually played it). I noticed that you've sunk over 100 hours into The Witcher and thats a much buggier game.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] I hope you're joking. The game is like $35 here now and has more value than anything I can remember released in the last two and a half years. AmazonTreeBoa

Do you not understand what "go on sale" means?. Morrowind goes for $5 on Steam all the time. I have lost count how many times I have seen Morrowind on sale for $5 on steam.

Still quite a while to wait for, really.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Skyrim

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] I hope you're joking. The game is like $35 here now and has more value than anything I can remember released in the last two and a half years.

I don't get what you mean by that. Skyrim has loads of patches and mods by now and there aren't that many technical issues as you're assuming (since you haven't actually played it). I noticed that you've sunk over 100 hours into The Witcher and thats a much buggier game.

I don't care that is was patched. It ran like crap when it released. And I never had any issues with The Witcher other than some lag in the swamp area. I am not holding off because I think the game still runs like crap. I am holding off because it ran like crap when it released and that's something I don't support. So in turn, it is a $5 game.