What is with the Mass Effect 3 user review bombing on Metacritic?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Maybe they are right... I would understand them. After playing the demo, it really felt like they took a huge step backwards. Ya I'm judging a game by it's demo, you know, since demo's are supposed to show you the 'coolness' of the game and what not. Animations were horrible. Poor textures. From what I gather they left holes in the story.

I won't be buying it that's for sure. I'm tired of EA... They pretty much ruined Bioware, and I'm not gonna give my money to them anymore. Last game I bought from them was BF3, and it'll be the last.

trastamad03
Sorry you had to judge a 60hour game on the worst level in the game
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
The endings are crap, so who knows, maybe the story is as well.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

4 chan has a few threads up promoting people to go and post bad "reviews". Sheeps will be sheep. 4 chan has always been notorious for things like this, they do it for the pure sake of trolling people and trying to seem effective at destroying things on the internet.

All this because someone leaked the ending and a few people were not happy with it.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

....Lastly, if the game had such a disappointing ending then why is the professional Metacritic average score a 93, which includes a perfect 10 (with several more soon to join the list). Don't let trolls steer you away from one of the best games of the year.ATT22

How quaint, you actually believe the so-called "profe$$ional" gaming reviews.

Look, I don't trust player reviews either but using bought-and-paid for PR reviews as evidence is equally ridiculous. Metacritic and its weighted scales are a blight on this industry. Metacritic, and review scores in general, need to go away.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="ATT22"]....Lastly, if the game had such a disappointing ending then why is the professional Metacritic average score a 93, which includes a perfect 10 (with several more soon to join the list). Don't let trolls steer you away from one of the best games of the year.-wildflower-

How quaint, you actually believe the so-called "profe$$ional" gaming reviews.

Look, I don't trust player reviews either but using bought-and-paid for PR reviews as evidence is equally ridiculous. Metacritic and its weighted scales are a blight on this industry. Metacritic, and review scores in general, need to go away.

I'd trust a professional review a lot more than one posted by an anonymous users for a number of reasons. - While I'm sure that there are issues with reviewers being manipulated by publishers through preferential treatment, gifts and special treatment in various ways, at least a professional reviewer puts his own name on the review. If I find that I consistently disagree with a professional reviewer, I can ignore his opinion going forward. - Taking bribes as a reviewer is ultimately stupid and self destructive for the publication. If readers lose faith in your reviews, the publication looses it's business. Unlike private users, professional reviewers have an incentive to try to adhere to a certain degree of honesty. - For anonymous players you never know what their motivation is, you don't know why they are posting and few 'non-professional' people tend post reviews unless they are passionate about the game (meaning you'll tend to get an unnaturally high concentration of extreme fanboys and haters with very few simply judging the pros and cons). If bought and paid for reviews really were the norm rather than the exception, the whole mess with GameSport and Kane and Lynch a few years back wouldn't have been such a big deal.

In summary, while I'm sure that there's a degree of manipulation going on in professional reviews (same as in movie, music, theater and restaurant reviews), but compared to a few hundred crazy fanboys and 'whatever you wanna to call the people who really hate BioWare', most of whom haven't played much more than a few hours (if that much)... I'd say the professional reviews are a helluva lot more reliable.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#56 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Could be DLC related, could be related to having to use Origin or it could be general EA/Bioware hate in general. Who knows? I stopped taking all reviews seriously tbh.

Edit: I take that back I do like Kevin VanOrd reviews.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#57 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Maybe they are right... I would understand them. After playing the demo, it really felt like they took a huge step backwards. Ya I'm judging a game by it's demo, you know, since demo's are supposed to show you the 'coolness' of the game and what not. Animations were horrible. Poor textures. From what I gather they left holes in the story.

I won't be buying it that's for sure. I'm tired of EA... They pretty much ruined Bioware, and I'm not gonna give my money to them anymore. Last game I bought from them was BF3, and it'll be the last.

wis3boi

60 hours?

I haven't heard anything about the length of the game, is this accurate?

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#58 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]You buy something used ( a car) and you expect it to be of lesser quality or worn down. You buy a used game and it runs perfectly, 100% of the time. There's NO reason to buy new over used for video games; the same cannot be said for cars or other products. Encouraging new sales is fine by me. There's a big difference between a company simply trying to make money and a company trying to nickel+dime their customer. EA/Bioware has turned to the later instead...Falconoffury

DVDs wear out too, eventually. There is a dye that eventually breaks down after enough years. There are other examples of long-lasting items. There's tools, musical instruments, and guns. These things all can last generations if properly cared for. It is no excuse to screw the customers just because games can last decades if properly cared for. Whether I can resell a game goes into my purchasing decisions, and it makes the game worth less to me if I can't.

The quality of the disc is irrelevant as long as the game runs fine. If it doesn't, you simply return it to store and the give you another copy. That's how the industry works. It's nothing like buying cars, tools, musical instruments, or guns used. The quality of the tools, musical instruments, and guns degrade over their use, which is why they carry a lower price tag. A copy of game runs or it doesn't. The disc can be read or it can not. A five year old CD runs the same as a brand new CD. There's no visible degradation in between those two points. There's no tedious work required to increase the lifespan, just proper handling. If the disc doesn't work, it's not sold as a used copy. By that reasoning, why would anyone buy a game for $60 when they get the exact same game for $30? Are you willing to pay an extra $30 so that 2 page manual does not have a stain on it? No, you don't care about the quality of the case, disc, or manual as long as the game runs. Retailers are screwing developers by actively promoting used sales over new sales. Why? Because they make a significantly more off those sales. Then you resell it to them and they continue to make more and more money off the same product. Retailers benefit greatly, consumers benefit marginally, but all at the expense of the developer.

Developers not screwing the customer though, they're ensuring revenue. For the PC community, the used market was destroyed a long time ago, but now we see new retail games for $40-$50 within the first week of sales. Maybe $30 within a month and eventually you can pick it up for under $10. More than 70% of the time I can find a new PC copy of a game for the same price as a used console copy. If developers see more revenue, they can lower the price of a new game for everyone. That way developers and the consumers are benefiting, but retailers are not. As it stands, they have to factor in the used game sales as lost revenue and jack up the price of retail games to compensate. I can't say for sure that this will happen to the console market as well, but that's my line of thinking.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#59 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

ok, i just saw a review, he gave it a 10.

this is what he wrote:

"It represents my sexuality like no other game ever did. Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!Gay Pride!"

....Yeah...

so WTF, even the positives reviews are trolling?

csftar
And this is the other reason why it could be getting low user reviews, so you have users like this posting positive review to counter balance it. It's pretty sad actually.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

People are mad at Bioware and EA for pulling their usual crap. They implemented a "pay real money for in game stuff!" thing for the multiplayer, and then made it so you have to play multiplayer to get a good ending. Plus, day one DLC, online pass codes, all that jazz.

Normally, I'm also railing against this stuff. But ME3 is so freaking damn teetees great that I don't care.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
60 hours?

with_teeth26
It's 40 hours and apparently that's 40 hours of taking your time.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

People are mad at Bioware and EA for pulling their usual crap. They implemented a "pay real money for in game stuff!" thing for the multiplayer, and then made it so you have to play multiplayer to get a good ending. Plus, day one DLC, online pass codes, all that jazz.

Normally, I'm also railing against this stuff. But ME3 is so freaking damn teetees great that I don't care.

xLittlekillx
Dont get me started on play multi or get bad ending.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I think a lot of the hate stems from the multiplayer game having a large effect on the outcome of the single player game. Its like a built in DRM system in a way.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]60 hours?

DanielDust

It's 40 hours and apparently that's 40 hours of taking your time.

They said 40 hours for ME 1 and I finished in 12 hours on my first go, I thought I was taking my time as well.

I'll be happy if ME 3 lasts 20.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I think that websites like Gamespot should implement something that keeps people from posting user reviews within the first 48 hours or so of release. That way there is at least a better chance that the person reviewing it actually played a decent portion of the game.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

In summary, while I'm sure that there's a degree of manipulation going on in professional reviews (same as in movie, music, theater and restaurant reviews), but compared to a few hundred crazy fanboys and 'whatever you wanna to call the people who really hate BioWare', most of whom haven't played much more than a few hours (if that much)... I'd say the professional reviews are a helluva lot more reliable.Mazoch

Perhaps, but I still believe "professional" reviews are just as unreliable, broken, and ultimately just as useless as user reviews. Take a look at this recent interview with Swen Vincke the founder of Larian Studios (Divine Divinity) where he addresses the current state of gaming "journalism" and the manipulation that takes place in the review industry.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on his part but what he says seems to have a ring of truth to it.

hoser81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hoser81
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

can people who have actually played the game weigh in more plz. I put in about 3 hrs last night and am sooo impressed. if ur pissed about the dlc, review the dlc poorly, and address that somewhere else than the main metacritic review. I saw BS reviews on metacritic around midnight last night where people were giving the game a zero when they couldnt have possibly played it for more than an hr or 2, if at all. bah.

for those of u thinking about playing, after 3 hrs im saying the combat is sweeet but u gotta turn up the difficulty, bit easy. graphics are great other than minor characters having weird faces, which has been the same in every ME game. digging the story so far too. cant wait to play more.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Trolls, hating on EA/BioWare. Riding the SWTOR hate, as well, because it's cool to hate BioWare now. ME3 is a great game. It feels a lot more like ME1 than ME2 by a long stretch. That makes me smile. It also has a darker, gritty atmosphere. Even its visual art style seems a bit more darker in a provocative way. A lot of characters have returned and boy did it make me grin. Graphics are improved, noticeably. If you can't tell, then I certainly can't explain it to the point where you would believe me. Characters have higher polygon count, facial models are improved, better lightning, a lot more detail in armor, clothing, environments, level design, and atmosphere.

Controls feel a lot better. More smooth, less clunky than ME2, sprinting doesn't feel super-heavy and more natural, although the animation for it is questionable. But the weight and feel as far as controls are better.

Camera work has improved. Cutscenes' camera work is much better directed. They captured each scene much better than just laying the camera still at one angle than previous ME games. They're enjoyable to watch.

The only problem is the difficulty. Even on hardcore, it's way too easy. Especially if you play as an Adept. Spam singularity and nothing can get in your way. I suggest playing another cIass if you want more of a challenge.

So far, ME3 feels like a 9.0-9.5 game. It's too early to tell if that score remains, but I'm guessing it will only get better.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I think that websites like Gamespot should implement something that keeps people from posting user reviews within the first 48 hours or so of release. That way there is at least a better chance that the person reviewing it actually played a decent portion of the game.

hartsickdiscipl
I've said this several times way way way back.. a few years ago. You should be required to implement something before you could review a game. At least require some sort of game barcode authentication or something. I don't know! That may sound silly, but something should be done. Trolls just spam low or high scores. It goes either way and it's crazy.. I'd imagine it would be harder to control than we think.. Has Gamespot staff even considered such a method to control and discipline Gamespot user reviewers in such a manner where it's more fair and credible? Hmmmm..
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 with_teeth26

Trolls, hating on EA/BioWare. Riding the SWTOR hate, as well, because it's cool to hate BioWare now. ME3 is a great game. It feels a lot more like ME1 than ME2 by a long stretch. That makes me smile. It also has a darker, gritty atmosphere. Even its visual art style seems a bit more darker in a provocative way. A lot of characters have returned and boy did it make me grin. Graphics are improved, noticeably. If you can't tell, then I certainly can't explain it to the point where you would believe me. Characters have higher polygon count, facial models are improved, better lightning, a lot more detail in armor, clothing, environments, level design, and atmosphere.

Controls feel a lot better. More smooth, less clunky than ME2, sprinting doesn't feel super-heavy and more natural, although the animation for it is questionable. But the weight and feel as far as controls are better.

Camera work has improved. Cutscenes' camera work is much better directed. They captured each scene much better than just laying the camera still at one angle than previous ME games. They're enjoyable to watch.

The only problem is the difficulty. Even on hardcore, it's way too easy. Especially if you play as an Adept. Spam singularity and nothing can get in your way. I suggest playing another cIass if you want more of a challenge.

So far, ME3 feels like a 9.0-9.5 game. It's too early to tell if that score remains, but I'm guessing it will only get better.

Elann2008

+1

I disliked the demo quite a bit, but after 2 hours of play I can easily say I'm enjoying this more than ME 2. The combat feels more dynamic, the atmosphere is better (largely in part to better music I think), and the plot is way more interesting than 'go recruit some dudes.'

The opening level is ugly and highlights the bad running animations by forcing you to look at Captain Anderson as he runs over ledges. The weird animations aren't as noticable in the following levels, which also look great visually. The second level was awesome, lots of interesting scenarios.

I'm so glad the concerns I had during the demo didn't turn out to be a big deal in the full version.

My only complaint is that when I carried my ME 2 saves over, my shepards appearance didn't transfer. This really sucks because my Paragon sheppard was made by a friend of mine who is an art student (now lives in a different city) back in ME 1. He looks awesome, better than the default sheppard IMO, and I'm really unhappy that I cant finish the trilogy with him. However, I put a bit of time into making a new sheppard, and he came out pretty well, so I think I'll survive.

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts

Such people don't realize how much efforts devs put it to release these games.

What really hurts is the fact that ME3's user score is lowest in PC section. my fellow PC gamers... grow up

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#72 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Seems to mostly be because of the DLC rage, but I also think it's some fallout from the Jennifer Helper trolling not long ago. Seems they are destined to rate this game as low as possible, they have obviously organized this review bombing, coming up with semi-valid issues so the reviews don't get deleted. I think it's sad how the metacritic user score is now useless, not just from ragers voting down games. Also you have developers and publishers rating games up. I suspect it won't be long before the user score is hidden away.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

the real question is.... who's taking user reviews seriously? if i HAD to refer to a review, i would much rather stick to the professionals. or else i'll be playing Street Cleaning Simulator.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

the real question is.... who's taking user reviews seriously? if i HAD to refer to a review, i would much rather stick to the professionals. or else i'll be playing Street Cleaning Simulator.

Jinroh_basic

This. I don't care the slightest what most people say about games, excluding a few guys in this forum and some friends. I'm not buying ME3 because i take issue with the 1st day DLC. That doesnt mean that i'm gonna rate the game 0. The game is probably awesome, like the first two games where.

kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts

the games a day old, ppl saying the story is lacking and blah blah blah is retarded, they obv didnt even finish it so how would they know

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

it's good the see ME3 getting the reception it deserves :D

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Vocal angry internet people, being vocal internet angry people. Let metacritic moderate it, as they will. I'm really bummed by day 1 DLC, and still sitting on the fence about buying it on release.

The bioware hate is just so increadible on the internet. It's amazing.

Their games still sell millions of copies and score well yet the internet just hates bioware.

Wasdie
Indeed, but take a step back and take a look at why. Bioware has moved into being a company catering primarily to the mass market, no longer that RPG niche, it's no wonder there has been such a vocal reaction, to the most mass market release Bioware has had. Even compare the release of the first Mass Effect compared to the third in audience reaction, from the 'PC elitist' and 'hardcore RPG' community, and the fanbase that sprung up around it. Mass Effect 3 sure as hell isn't a bad game as people on the internet make it out, even 4 chan, but there's a fair amount of reason at the base of the horribly gross exaggeration.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]

with_teeth26

60 hours?

ME1 took me about 40, ME2 with DLC about 50-60. I did a speed run of ME1 once just for lulz and it took me 15 hours. I'm about 20hrs into ME3 and barely scratched the surface. There's a lot more dialogue and downtime in ME3 compared to 2