what is the most immersive game?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Since everybody seems to be really into "the most" kinda stuff, I'd like to know: what is the most immersive game you have ever played?

I like to vote Thief III. This game has tilted me all upside down and I still like to play it a lot. This game really sucks you in and let you feel you are part on an ancient surreal medieval world. The story not only is great, but the way it's being told is impressive. Overhearing people talk, eavesdropping underneath a window, fairy tales, religion - to me, everything is right in this game. It really can give you the creeps too :? This game is truly worth to be called immersive.
gullytolwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gullytolwyn
Member since 2003 • 362 Posts
System Shock 2 is pretty immersive. It's an aamzing game and very underrated.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Oblivion
Chornicle of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Treadstone71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Treadstone71
Member since 2002 • 169 Posts

Without a doubt, hands down, it would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.  :)

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#5 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Doom III
Arafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arafen
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
World of Warcraft
thewilyranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 thewilyranger
Member since 2004 • 319 Posts
I would have to say Morrowind and Oblivion
jakyl996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jakyl996
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

4 me it was HL2...not all the time but sometimes it all clicks & I 4get RL

hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts

Without a doubt, hands down, it would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. :)

Treadstone71
I'll second that. Plus, I played it all in the dark, with my headphones one at 12am-3am (weird work schedule for a bit), so it was that much MORE immersive....the haunted hotel/mansion seriously freaked me out. That was such a good game....it's so unfortunate that Troika went under :(
Avatar image for earlthecannibal
earlthecannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 earlthecannibal
Member since 2005 • 1212 Posts
Captain Obvious it's ---Vanguard ftw!
georgetkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 georgetkat
Member since 2004 • 124 Posts
Oblivion, at least lately...I'm enjoying exploring it more than I am playing, lol.
thegreatspanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thegreatspanky
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
Silent Hunter III.., its so immersive its a nail biter, like being in U-571 or Das Boot
alijib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 alijib
Member since 2003 • 178 Posts

jakyl996

I Agree :)

BlacKnight1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BlacKnight1988
Member since 2005 • 82 Posts
For me the most immersive games were Gothic 1 & Gothic 2 The Night of the Raven. I just couldn't stop playing them.

There's also Gothic 3 but it's immersion is totally destroyed because of the HUGE saving/loading times.

Other games:
Medieval - Total War
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Diablo 2
Houghbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Houghbot
Member since 2005 • 235 Posts
[QUOTE="jakyl996"]

alijib

I Agree :)

ditto.. was totally like being there.. the bridge level (i got a fear of heights) i was sweating.. damn that game rules
Hurvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hurvl
Member since 2005 • 2224 Posts
[QUOTE="Treadstone71"]

Without a doubt, hands down, it would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. :)

hecklemonkey

I'll second that. Plus, I played it all in the dark, with my headphones one at 12am-3am (weird work schedule for a bit), so it was that much MORE immersive....the haunted hotel/mansion seriously freaked me out. That was such a good game....it's so unfortunate that Troika went under :(

I'll second to that as well. The voice acting, dialogue, intrigue and story line are all excellent.

I would also like to mention Clive Barker's Undying. That game can be quite scary. The music, sound effects and the story are great. Very much (Oc)cult status in that one.

sloppy_sex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sloppy_sex
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

Without a doubt, hands down, it would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.  :)

Treadstone71

oh yeah that game was amazing. shame the game allwasy crashed to desktop at the part were u resuce the priest and excape on the rowing boat. was right at the end and couldnt complete du to that bent little bug!

Hurvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hurvl
Member since 2005 • 2224 Posts
[QUOTE="Treadstone71"]

sloppy_sex

oh yeah that game was amazing. shame the game allwasy crashed to desktop at the part were u resuce the priest and excape on the rowing boat. was right at the end and couldnt complete du to that bent little bug!

That should have been patched by now, but yeah, it' was like that with Clive Barker's Undying too. Before I managed to download a patch, I could hardly play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Freespace 2, no doubt about it..
Avatar image for deactivated-622466a483e10
deactivated-622466a483e10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-622466a483e10
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

Since everybody seems to be really into "the most" kinda stuff, I'd like to know: what is the most immersive game you have ever played?

I like to vote Thief III. This game has tilted me all upside down and I still like to play it a lot. This game really sucks you in and let you feel you are part on an ancient surreal medieval world. The story not only is great, but the way it's being told is impressive. Overhearing people talk, eavesdropping underneath a window, fairy tales, religion - to me, everything is right in this game. It really can give you the creeps too :? This game is truly worth to be called immersive.
geitenvla

Hell yeah, I second that in a heartbeat. ThiefIII Deadly Shadows is the biznis. I've never played bloodlines, and I bet that haunted mansion mission is creepy, but I'm quite sure it isn't a breadcrumb as scary as the Cradle missino in thief. Don't know how many times I lost it during that one, and if you visit the Thief III boards, you'll see that there are quite a few that have had the same experience. Truly a masterpiece, but also one of the reasons of why I never can play it again.

I did finish it half way through once, but got so scared that I actually cut my discs into pieces. Since I was desperate to finish the game I had to buy another copy. That second time I did make it through.

tin25tin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tin25tin
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

My favorite and also the most immersive game I’ve plaid has got to be Fahrenheit also known as Indigo Prophecy.

Enasni1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Enasni1212
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts
I died a little inside when I saw Diablo II... Do you even know what immersive means?

Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 2, in my opinion.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines I love this game.
GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
Doom 3 the first time you play it gets you ready to see whats around the corner.
PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

I did finish it half way through once, but got so scared that I actually cut my discs into pieces. Since I was desperate to finish the game I had to buy another copy. That second time I did make it through.

Kloney

?

Anyway, I thought KOTOR I and II had very immersive game worlds. GTA is another game that comes to mind.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Half-Life 2 and Oblivion for me.
Benbook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Benbook
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The most immersive game for me is the Sims i can really get into all that customizing and before you know it you are thinking of your little guys at school or at work.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
[QUOTE="Kloney"]

I did finish it half way through once, but got so scared that I actually cut my discs into pieces. Since I was desperate to finish the game I had to buy another copy. That second time I did make it through.

PCgamerX

?

Anyway, I thought KOTOR I and II had very immersive game worlds. GTA is another game that comes to mind.

I was a little surprised too... The cradle deffintly is scary and when you don't know what to expect, your heart will skip a beat once in a while, guaranteed. Especially when you play at night, no lights on and use a headphone. But to throw away your discs ... did it really had such an impact on you?
pigonthewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 pigonthewing
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
Not just Thief 3 but 1 and 2 were great as well.  But one person noted Silent Hunter 3 and i have to second that, that game i absolutely love!  Put the settings on realistic and just keep unlimited fuel on and wow its crazy especially when you waiting to see if your deep enough to avoid a barrage of depth charges. 

Also when you get that last shot off and you hit that ship and your just praying that it will sink it, then when you think it survived the hit all the sudden it starts to go down.  Great feeling.  Not many games make you feel like you accomplished something when each kill in SH3 is a done with patience and precision.  Cant wait for SH4.
gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
System Shock 2 is pretty immersive. It's an aamzing game and very underrated.gullytolwyn
Vito25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vito25
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I would have to say Gothic 3 and 3. Oblivion felt to repetitive. Half life 2, FEAR had it's moments. WOW didn't do it for me, that is WAY to repetitive.  

Dan-Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dan-Erik
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
There has been a lot of games lately so it's a tough choice. But i think i have to say Fahrenheit or Dreamfall. I need a out-of-the-ordinary story to really get hooked. KOTOR 1 and 2 are good too, but doesn't have the last push. I actually completed Fahrenheit and Dreamfall in one go because i got so fascinated. But that also says something about the lenght of the game :P.I
haljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 haljay
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
System Shock 2 was the very first game I played that sucked me into it to the point that when I sidestepped to avoid fire I found myself leaning heavily in my chair as well, who can forget their first encounter with those damned spiders? or the dead guys yelling "i'm sorry" or "run" as their blasting at u with a shotgun. there've been others since then (ties that bind, fear, doom 3, undying) but i guess the old saying is true "you never forget your first time" 
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
I say call of duty 2, haven't played all those games everyone's mentioning, but I think the dramatic scale of CoD2 is really great.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
Half-life (and expansions)
Deus Ex
Pirates! (too short though)
Splinter Cell
Max Payne (1&2)
and many more...

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

When I first played Call of Duty it sucked me in like no other, it was so intense.

chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts
Baldur's Gate. I really got suck in to the world of Baldur's Gate.
bobinho22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bobinho22
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Titan quest and Fable LC8)
amm253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 amm253
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts
"Without a doubt, hands down, it would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines"

Thank you!! I have been singing the praise of the atmosphere generated in this game for years now. The combat is **** but the ambiance, sound, and story make this my definite number one.
chrisoff_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chrisoff_1
Member since 2003 • 4138 Posts

Treadstone71

you reminded me of how much i liked that game, the maps and settings were just fantasticly well realised, definately gets my vote......

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Fallout 1/2 and SystemShock 2.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#43 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

When I first played Call of Duty it sucked me in like no other, it was so intense.

starwarsgeek112
Totally agree, the first mission in the Russian campaign was unbelievable. As far as now, I would say FEAR, I can only play that game in 20 minute shifts, thats if too much freakiness is not occuring, then it is like 10 minutes.
Deltaforce-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Deltaforce-
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

Silent Hunter III.., its so immersive its a nail biter, like being in U-571 or Das Bootthegreatspanky

I have to agree on this. Silent Hunter III: the realism, open ended game play, changing weather, vast ocean -with changing conditions, realistic combat, and music, made the patrols very immersive.

Having said that, there are many games, FPS's, RPG's, etc that are also pretty immersive too.     

Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#45 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts
oblivion
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts
While I'd agree with most of the games mentioned here, I really think that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is the most immersive game, ever.

Aside from the intro + ending (for a good reason), the entire game plays out through the eyes of the main character, Jack Walters. The game has no HUD - you can tell that you're damaged by blood/red tinging/discolouration of the screen. Jack also gasps/grunts a bit when damaged, and you'll hear a slightly cringe-worthy cracking when you try to walk around with, for example, a broken leg.

All of your character's actions take place in real time, so if you're damaged, you'll have to actually stop, pull out your first aid kit and actually bandage/splint yourself (no just walking over any medkits). There are plenty of other immersive real-time features, such as grabbing chains/bars to prevent you from being washed overboard by waves. Many of these actions are accompanied by hand-movements, although more were removed from the final release (and have been modded back in - so, for example, every time you open a door, you see your hand reaching for the doorknob).

Aside from the HUD-less display, their are plenty of other vision-realted features. For example, if the rain, you will actually see raindrops running down the screen (ala Metroid Prime). Morphine will cause parts of the screen to fade, bulge or blur. Sneaking will focus the view, but reduce your peripheral vision.

But probably the besy feature is the sanity system, similar to the one seen in Eternal Darkness (although less elaborate and more realistic). If you look down from a high ledge, your character will get vertigo - the screen will burge and twist out of proportion, your breathing will become heavier, and you're much less likely to jump far until you recover. Seeing anything freaky will have similar effects, and constant exposure to madness-inducing sights may even see you accidentally shotting yourself - or deliberately doing so.

So, yeah...Call of Cthulhu is the most immersive game ever...and it has some pretty damn intense chase sequences, too.
akeanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 akeanon
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts
System Shock 2 is pretty immersive. It's an aamzing game and very underrated.gullytolwyn

I completely agree about System Shock 2.  Something about the ship tracking my movements and sending monsters after me creeped me out.  I couldn't play that game but for short periods of time.

For me, my first immersive game was Nomad, which was an old DOS space ship game.  It lead to my addiction of Privateer and Freelancer, which were also wonderfully captivating.  I still like going to the far systems and seeing the binary stars or minefields in Freelancer.

My most memorable immersive moment was standing at Ghostgate in Morrowind and actually feeling alone on the paths and roads that cut through the landscapes.
laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
It was world of warcraft, Throne of  darkness, lineage and doom. :D
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
doom 3 or FEAR...
BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BubbaCheese
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

The most immersive games for me are (from greatest to least):

Oblivion - FREELANCER (how come nobody has mentioned it??) - GTA: SA - HL2 and Far Cry!!

And for all ya'll who say that Vampire: Bloodlines is immersive... that game is WEAKSAUCE!!!! long loading times, bad, small environments and even worse gun/combat play... and whats with the spider-monsters with droopy mammories? Props to the voice acting though that was good...