What is Starcraft 2?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

[QUOTE="MojoRises"]It's a big unbalanced mess, 'tis what it is.FelipeInside
What? SC was one of the most balanced games in all history? Is SC2 that unbalanced?

Heh not even close to being an unbalanced "mess". Evenin its current betastate, it still carries on Starcarft's legacy of being the most in-depth balanced RTS and even evolves upon it.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Basically its a game that could of been done 5 years ago making minor improvements/unit enchancements of a game over 10 years old.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

[QUOTE="TheCh0sen0ne85"]I feel sorry for kids under 20 because they don't know the greatness of Starcraft 1. Starcraft 2 is the sequel to the best PC game ever and one of the best games ever on any platform. If SC1 was never created I bet online gaming wouldn't exist now. N30F3N1X

Oi!

I'm 18, I finished Starcraft when I was 7 and up to now I've scored more than ten thousands hours in it. Do I get a cookie for being an exception?

You're not the exception. Most gamers under 20 have played Starcraft, or for sure know what it is. OP is the exception, and Chosen is just being elitist,

MellowMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 MellowMighty
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts

I'm kinda surprised some people havnt heard of starcraft. Starcraft is one of the biggest competitive games out there, (admittedly it is nearly all in Korea... but still the korea starcraft enviroment ios probably the place with the most esports and etc, it is a HUGE deal there). It also sold a ton of copies back in the day, 11 million or so. Obviously, some people just never hear of games, but if people are critized for not having heard of tons of other games, Starcraft 1 was one of the most important games in gaming history imo, mostly because again the SC competitive scene in Korea is easily the place in the world with the most importance placed on ESports, they have TV channels for it and everything, very mainstream. Nowhere else comes close.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Basically its a game that could of been done 5 years ago making minor improvements/unit enchancements of a game over 10 years old.Birdy09
Couldn't that be said for any game nowadays?
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Basically its a game that could of been done 5 years ago making minor improvements/unit enchancements of a game over 10 years old.Lethalhazard

Haters gonna hate.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"][QUOTE="Birdy09"]Basically its a game that could of been done 5 years ago making minor improvements/unit enchancements of a game over 10 years old.Mograine

Haters gonna hate.

Minor improvements on the units? I do not know this since I haven't played it yet... But it does have a brand new graphics engine right?
The_Pirate_Bay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 The_Pirate_Bay
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Well Starcraft 2 is a game that burst out of nowhere and became popular, but i heard it was a more than an average game. Well i do know that it is a strategy game. It was made by the same company that had made World Of Warcraft.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Ive played Starcraft 2 and honestly, I'm not sure what took them 12 years... Unless the 29 mission campaign is something we've never seen before.

They improved the graphics, but it's nothing huge. They added a few new units, but not much. Battle net 2.0 dosen't seem much different, and for alot of people is a downgrade.

I don't see how they would of spent all that time and money. My only guess is the CGI and the campaign are gonna be exceptionally good.

ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ABRed
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

Just pre-order it, you won't regret it! (Or simply buy it on July 27th...) TBH, I didn't like SC 1 that much, but I played the beta of SC 2 and WOW this game is awesome! And I didn't try the Single Player which is going to be epic as well!

BUY IT!

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mograine

Ive played Starcraft 2 and honestly, I'm not sure what took them 12 years... Unless the 29 mission campaign is something we've never seen before.

They improved the graphics, but it's nothing huge. They added a few new units, but not much. Battle net 2.0 dosen't seem much different, and for alot of people is a downgrade.

I don't see how they would of spent all that time and money. My only guess is the CGI and the campaign are gonna be exceptionally good.

Prexxus

You know, Blizzard has seen quite a bit of history in those "12 years". They haven't spent 12 years exclusively developing SC2.

And no, they haven't "added a few units, but not many". The races are drastically different now. Anyone with a clue of how the first game is could tell you that.

Well Starcraft 2 is a game that burst out of nowhere and became popular, but i heard it was a more than an average game. Well i do know that it is a strategy game. It was made by the same company that had made World Of Warcraft.The_Pirate_Bay

The original did jump out of nowhere, known only to the hardcore WC2 players that have been giving feedback to Blizzard about the issues WC2 had, and then became widely known as what we know today - not a "more than average game" (lol), but the undisputed king of competitive gaming, with Counterstrike as close steward.

StarCraft 2 jumped out of nowhere in the sense that it was totally unexpected. Announced at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational on 27/05/2007, its announcement was one of the most "explosive" events to ever happen in the gaming scene. It didn't just "become popular" - it was popular before it even existed.

Your post is puzzling, tho. Blizzard is a legendary company that everyone who has ever dipped into the waters of gaming knows, and so is StarCraft. After all I've said, especially the "I know it's a Strategy game and that the WoW devs made" startles me. Have you been living under a rock for the past decade, or have you just recently started playing games?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

Mograine

You know, Blizzard has seen quite a bit of history in those "12 years". They haven't spent 12 years exclusively developing SC2.

And no, they haven't "added a few units, but not many". The races are drastically different now. Anyone with a clue of how the first game is could tell you that.

Well Starcraft 2 is a game that burst out of nowhere and became popular, but i heard it was a more than an average game. Well i do know that it is a strategy game. It was made by the same company that had made World Of Warcraft.The_Pirate_Bay

The original did jump out of nowhere, known only to the hardcore WC2 players that have been giving feedback to Blizzard about the issues WC2 had, and then became widely known as what we know today - not a "more than average game" (lol), but the undisputed king of competitive gaming, with Counterstrike as close steward.

StarCraft 2 jumped out of nowhere in the sense that it was totally unexpected. Announced at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational on 27/05/2007, its announcement was one of the most "explosive" events to ever happen in the gaming scene. It didn't just "become popular" - it was popular before it even existed.

Your post is puzzling, tho. Blizzard is a legendary company that everyone who has ever dipped into the waters of gaming knows, and so is StarCraft. After all I've said, especially the "I know it's a Strategy game and that the WoW devs made" startles me. Have you been living under a rock for the past decade, or have you just recently started playing games?

Also games take a considerably longer time to develop now.

I believe there was also a delay with SC2 in regards to b.net 2.0.

Honestly, the last RTS that blizz made was WC3 and the expansion pack to that came out in 2003. I dunno if it is the same team of people, but that could be part of the 1998->2010 delay

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

on pc, starcraft is one of the iconic games. Its just as iconic as lets say doom or mario.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"] Couldn't that be said for any game nowadays?FelipeInside

Haters gonna hate.

Minor improvements on the units? I do not know this since I haven't played it yet... But it does have a brand new graphics engine right?

Hence why I said "Could of been done 5 years ago". Who says im hating? Im just stateing a fact here.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Mograine"]

Haters gonna hate.

Birdy09

Hence why I said "Could of been done 5 years ago". Who says im hating? Im just stateing a fact here.

Except 5 years ago they released WoW

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Minor improvements on the units? I do not know this since I haven't played it yet... But it does have a brand new graphics engine right?GummiRaccoon

And? RTS vs MMORPG? different audiance. and even then, didnt need to delay the game year after year to the point where you just look at it and think "meh" in 2010.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Hence why I said "Could of been done 5 years ago". Who says im hating? Im just stateing a fact here.Birdy09

And? RTS vs MMORPG? different audiance. and even then, didnt need to delay the game year after year to the point where you just look at it and think "meh" in 2010.

what are you going on about? I guess theres always a hater... you say you're not hating, but why even start this conversation?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Hence why I said "Could of been done 5 years ago". Who says im hating? Im just stateing a fact here.Birdy09

Wow, you're just hating on every game these days aren't you? Everyone in the SW:TOR thread was excited, and you feel the need to pop in and go "You're wrong, it'll suck" Now you're in the Starcraft thread going "It'll suck cause it's 2010" which is totally unfounded, not to mention outright wrong seeing how Tons of people are bummed out about the second beta ending.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Nibroc420

Wow, you're just hating on every game these days aren't you? Everyone in the SW:TOR thread was excited, and you feel the need to pop in and go "You're wrong, it'll suck" Now you're in the Starcraft thread going "It'll suck cause it's 2010" which is totally unfounded, not to mention outright wrong seeing how Tons of people are bummed out about the second beta ending.

Peoples reading comprehension is great isnt it? its common sense to say im refering to graphics with the date inclusion, nothing more. I have by no means said this game sucks, I have it pre-oredered. Just simply stating it should of been out years ago.

And once again I labeled ToR a WoW clone, didnt say it would suck, which was again put into my mouth. Sorry I dont ware fanboy goggles for games, im free to critisize thanks, the OP asked a question and I anwsered it, people like you that think everything should be 100% positive are obsurd.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Birdy09"] And? RTS vs MMORPG? different audiance. and even then, didnt need to delay the game year after year to the point where you just look at it and think "meh" in 2010.Birdy09

Peoples reading comprehension is great isnt it? its common sense to say im refering to graphics with the date inclusion, nothing more. I have by no means said this game sucks, I have it pre-oredered. Just simply stating it should of been out years ago.

And once again I labeled ToR a WoW clone, didnt say it would suck, which was again put into my mouth. Sorry I dont ware fanboy goggles for games, im free to critisize thanks, the OP asked a question and I anwsered it, people like you that think everything should be 100% positive are obsurd.

Yeah, I think Blizzard was concentrating all it's efforts to making WoW succeed 5 years ago...that's why there wasn't any SC2 or Diablo3. They have even said that the success/income from WoW has now allowed them to have the manpower for finishing SC2 and D3 at the same time...
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Wow, you're just hating on every game these days aren't you? Everyone in the SW:TOR thread was excited, and you feel the need to pop in and go "You're wrong, it'll suck" Now you're in the Starcraft thread going "It'll suck cause it's 2010" which is totally unfounded, not to mention outright wrong seeing how Tons of people are bummed out about the second beta ending.FelipeInside

Yeah, I think Blizzard was concentrating all it's efforts to making WoW succeed 5 years ago...that's why there wasn't any SC2 or Diablo3. They have even said that the success/income from WoW has now allowed them to have the manpower for finishing SC2 and D3 at the same time...

Yea thats a given, frustrating for those that want one of thier games but not the other isnt it? much more interested in DIII than than Starcraft 2.0, but that probably wont come out for another 2-3 years based on WoW and Starcraft 2's player bases, nice little marketing trend they having going, B.Net 2 will encourage people to return to each game aswell, instead of integrating themselves into steam like most developers. I see Blizzard alot like Valve now, more of a pencil pushing business, instead of being what original was a small team of great developers developing games with innovation and the gamer in mind. Lets face it, if Starcraft II didnt live up to its "Competitive Name" then the game would have bombed and it would of been revelead for what it was, a game very outdated for its time. its "balance" is its selling point, while questionable depending on taste there is a much broader range of RTS on the market more innovative and fun that the dune esque RTS. I guess we will find out in a weeks time. I personally prefer the new style RTS games, and games like DoTA... I dont know how many more of these kinds i kind stomach regaurdless of brand.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Birdy09

Yea thats a given, frustrating for those that want one of thier games but not the other isnt it? much more interested in DIII than than Starcraft 2.0, but that probably wont come out for another 2-3 years based on WoW and Starcraft 2's player bases, nice little marketing trend they having going, B.Net 2 will encourage people to return to each game aswell, instead of integrating themselves into steam like most developers. I see Blizzard alot like Valve now, more of a pencil pushing business, instead of being what original was a small team of great developers developing games with innovation and the gamer in mind. Lets face it, if Starcraft II didnt live up to its "Competitive Name" then the game would have bombed and it would of been revelead for what it was, a game very outdated for its time. its "balance" is its selling point, while questionable depending on taste there is a much broader range of RTS on the market more innovative and fun that the dune esque RTS. I guess we will find out in a weeks time. I personally prefer the new style RTS games, and games like DoTA... I dont know how many more of these kinds i kind stomach regaurdless of brand.

I still love valve and blizzard, its a shame that id and epic couldn't adapt to the changing pc market as well as they have, cest la vie.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 FelipeInside

Birdy09

I still think Blizzard is Yeah, I think Blizzard was concentrating all it's efforts to making WoW succeed 5 years ago...that's why there wasn't any SC2 or Diablo3. They have even said that the success/income from WoW has now allowed them to have the manpower for finishing SC2 and D3 at the same time...

I still think Blizz is a company with the gamer in mind. I am subscribed to the WoW magazine (since I don't have time to play it, I read it, lol), and the interviews with the designers and guys from Blizz show me that they want their game to be good.

Of course it's not an easy task, but Blizz is one of those few companies which actually take the time to POLISH their games.

In the end, they are ALSO a business...and most keep it afloat just like your local take away shop...

ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ABRed

I still think Blizz is a company with the gamer in mind. I am subscribed to the WoW magazine (since I don't have time to play it, I read it, lol), and the interviews with the designers and guys from Blizz show me that they want their game to be good.

Of course it's not an easy task, but Blizz is one of those few companies which actually take the time to POLISH their games.

In the end, they are ALSO a business...and most keep it afloat just like your local take away shop...

FelipeInside

Have they announced World of Starcraft in your magazines?! ;)

I can't wait to play that game!:P

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

ABRed

say what? that would be too much, im already overwhelmed with the games on pc as is! Imagine people playing wow and world of starcraft at the same time?
Krolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Krolic
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

[QUOTE="ABRed"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

TerrorRizzing

say what? that would be too much, im already overwhelmed with the games on pc as is! Imagine people playing wow and world of starcraft at the same time?

There won't be a World of Starcraft. Their new MMO is a completely new IP.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="ABRed"]

Krolic

World of Starcraft will combine into World of Warcraft... Azeroth will be invaded by Zerg... The Alliance will open a portal for the help of the Protoss... but since they have their own agenda, the humans will train to become Space Marines !!! CAN'T WAIT !!!
k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
The problem with new RTS style games is that they don't have lasting power. Few people still play World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, even Dawn of War pales in comparison to StarCraft: Brood War. There's a reason why StarCraft is chosen every year for the WCG
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GummiRaccoon

Birdy09

The original starcraft was such an amazing RTS that there is little reason to change it all that much, every other rts that I have played since starcraft has been underwhelming.

The devolopers at blizzard are still a very small team, I don't know why you think it's some huge monolith now.

I've played the SC2 beta and it is an amazing game.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Mograine

Yea thats a given, frustrating for those that want one of thier games but not the other isnt it? much more interested in DIII than than Starcraft 2.0, but that probably wont come out for another 2-3 years based on WoW and Starcraft 2's player bases, nice little marketing trend they having going, B.Net 2 will encourage people to return to each game aswell, instead of integrating themselves into steam like most developers. I see Blizzard alot like Valve now, more of a pencil pushing business, instead of being what original was a small team of great developers developing games with innovation and the gamer in mind. Lets face it, if Starcraft II didnt live up to its "Competitive Name" then the game would have bombed and it would of been revelead for what it was, a game very outdated for its time. its "balance" is its selling point, while questionable depending on taste there is a much broader range of RTS on the market more innovative and fun that the dune esque RTS. I guess we will find out in a weeks time. I personally prefer the new style RTS games, and games like DoTA... I dont know how many more of these kinds i kind stomach regaurdless of brand.Birdy09

You say it like living up to the competitiveness of the first one is a minor feat.

Very few games have managed to do that, and of those games, none is a RTS with the same variety SC has. Heck, now that I think about it, none is an RTS *at all*.

By the way, give my compliments to the Pudge in your sig.

ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
starcraft 2 is the sequel for the most epic and addictive game that is starcraft.:) yeeyy!! also..i lol'd at the title too.:)
Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

it's true that some old games are forgotten, but we shouldn't blame the next generation of gamers. Even though I'm 21, there are still some old games which I remember and still play those. Time goes on, in a couple of year the kids of tomorrow might forget about Crysis or Diablo III, games which, with no doubt, rule today's gaming scene. i won't answer the question because it has been answered, but cheers in playing and give SC2 a chance, you won't regret it

ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ABRed

[QUOTE="Krolic"]

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] say what? that would be too much, im already overwhelmed with the games on pc as is! Imagine people playing wow and world of starcraft at the same time?FelipeInside

World of Starcraft will combine into World of Warcraft... Azeroth will be invaded by Zerg... The Alliance will open a portal for the help of the Protoss... but since they have their own agenda, the humans will train to become Space Marines !!! CAN'T WAIT !!!

I'm right there with ya! I can't wait to have my Battlecruiser as my flying mount XD

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

it's true that some old games are forgotten, but we shouldn't blame the next generation of gamers. Even though I'm 21, there are still some old games which I remember and still play those. Time goes on, in a couple of year the kids of tomorrow might forget about Crysis or Diablo III, games which, with no doubt, rule today's gaming scene. i won't answer the question because it has been answered, but cheers in playing and give SC2 a chance, you won't regret it

Nino_ze
Im not a kid myself im 21 its just that i grew on console and didn't get into PC gaming until around 2001-2002. I was just into FPS and blowing sh!t up games but as ive gotten older i started to like RPG and MMO genres. 5 years ago i wouldn't be caught dead trying those types of games.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Nino_ze"]

mattuk69

Im not a kid myself im 21 its just that i grew on console and didn't get into PC gaming until around 2001-2002. I was just into FPS and blowing sh!t up games but as ive gotten older i started to like RPG and MMO genres. 5 years ago i wouldn't be caught dead trying those types of games.

sigh, I remember when all the best fps were on PCs and consoles were little kids.