What is it with the 16:9 only lately?!

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts

What is it with all the games lately being showed in 16:9 and not on 4:3. Games like mirror's edge, F.E.A.R. 2, H.A.W.X., Assassin's Creed etc, are not full screened damn it! notice that some of those were made by ubisoft.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

What is it with all the games lately being showed in 16:9 and not on 4:3. Games like mirror's edge, F.E.A.R. 2, H.A.W.X., Assassin's Creed etc, are not full screened damn it! notice that some of those were made by ubisoft.

f22rf
It's because they're console games that were made into crappy PC ports.
CincyChaotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CincyChaotic
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts
Actually, most games use 16:10 resolutions (1680:1050 or 1920:1200) because that is what the new widescreen monitors (22 and 24 inch) run natively. Generally if your PC can run the games that use the resolutions, you have a good gaming monitor to go along with your setup.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

People still use CRT's? That sucks...getting my 22" LCD was one of the best upgrades I ever did. Get out of the past, the future is wide screen not crappy 4:3.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 f22rf

People still use CRT's? That sucks...getting my 22" LCD was one of the best upgrades I ever did. Get out of the past, the future is wide screen not crappy 4:3.

dnuggs40
I also belive so, but not until those LCDs will be as good as CRTs quality speaking.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="f22rf"]

DragonfireXZ95
It's because they're console games that were made into crappy PC ports.

so u're saying that fear2 and assassin's creed are crappy ports?! anyways, wide screen is the future. I still have a CRT :D but i'm planning on changing it next week.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

dnuggs40
I alway keep my crt behind my monitor for the old game that don't support widescreen. I don't buy recent game that don't support widescreen anymore though...
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Fear 2 was defo one of the worst, laziest ports ever.
fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

I've been running my PC games on a 42" LCD TV for a couple of years now. Widescreen is the new standard.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 f22rf
Fear 2 was defo one of the worst, laziest ports ever.couly
It's not just a bad port, it's just a bad game
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 couly
[QUOTE="couly"]Fear 2 was defo one of the worst, laziest ports ever.f22rf
It's not just a bad port, it's just a bad game

how true
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Maybe it looks better. Plus it's more modern... i mean most people have widescreens now...
promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

I changed, actually to 16/10 (1680x1050), and never looked back

promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Franko_3

I alway keep my crt behind my monitor for the old game that don't support widescreen. I don't buy recent game that don't support widescreen anymore though...

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Games_List_-_A

and get rid of it

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

hawx is 16:10, only the menu is 16:9

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

It pisses me off, since I haven't yet downgraded to LCD monitors. If a game doesn't support 4:3 - I don't buy it.

CRT > LCD. Anyone who appreciates image quality knows that it's true.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 couly

It pisses me off, since I haven't yet downgraded to LCD monitors. If a game doesn't support 4:3 - I don't buy it.

HenriH-42
somebody sig this
Stoner-Pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stoner-Pimp
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
[QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

somebody sig this

Are you saying sig it for sarcasm? just wondering as you can never tell here. If you are serious though, it's a known fact that CRT > LCD for image quality (better colors, clarity and depth), it's why i still use my 24" CRT monitor and haven't changed to an LCD myself yet, i do plan on going to LCD soon BUT that's simply because as the TC states a lot of games now are being done widescreen only and 4x3 is on the way out.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="Stoner-Pimp"][QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

somebody sig this

Are you saying sig it for sarcasm? just wondering as you can never tell here. If you are serious though, it's a known fact that CRT > LCD for image quality (better colors, clarity and depth), it's why i still use my 24" CRT monitor and haven't changed to an LCD myself yet, i do plan on going to LCD soon BUT that's simply because as the TC states a lot of games now are being done widescreen only and 4x3 is on the way out.

I got the s2409w,24in 1920x1080 better than any crt I've seen.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Stoner-Pimp"][QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

somebody sig this

It's definitely better in that regard, though it also sacrifices a lot when it comes to more practical, less subjective things (power usage, size/weight, and long-term comfort on the subjective scale) - and on the subjective benchmarks, they've long since hit the point where they're 'good enough' for most people out there, including me. I only ever use IPS panels, but I'll definitely take them over a CRT any day.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HenriH-42

CRT > LCD. It's the truth.

Until I see a cheap LCD (I got my current monitor for 10 euros) that supports higher resolution than my monitor does (2048x1536) without having to worry about native resolution, with better image quality (LCD monitors have terrible, TERRIBLE black - more like light gray) I just don't see the point. Oh, it's better because it costs more and it takes less space. :roll: I hate this stupid fad about everything needing to be as small as possible, I have this MP3 player that is TINY and really FLAT - it says in the manual that if I press the goddamn buttons too hard or I accidentally hit it with my fingernail, it breaks. Nothing lasts anymore, I guess they make everything as disposable as possible so that they can sell more crap to people. Another thing I hate are the idiotic buzzwords such as "HD" and "next-gen". I've used resolutions bigger than HD since 2002.

Hopefully, by the time my CRT monitor breaks (maybe around 2020) the monitors have at least reached the same quality as CRT monitors were. Heck, I still have my original Microscan 3E/ADI monitor from friggin 1993, my friend has had an LCD since 2004 - the image quality is terrible and it's nearly broken. LCD monitors break so easily, one a bit harder touch or little scratch and that's pretty much it. I can even knock or slightly punch my monitor and it's still as good as new.

/rant

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
... yeah, you're a CRT zealot. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride!
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HenriH-42

... yeah, you're a CRT zealot. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride!Makari

It just pisses me off when games don't properly support 4:3. I mean, how hard is that to make? Letterboxing looks awful.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

CRT > LCD. It's the truth.

Until I see a cheap LCD (I got my current monitor for 10 euros) that supports higher resolution than my monitor does (2048x1536) without having to worry about native resolution, with better image quality (LCD monitors have terrible, TERRIBLE black - more like light gray) I just don't see the point. Oh, it's better because it costs more and it takes less space. :roll: I hate this stupid fad about everything needing to be as small as possible, I have this MP3 player that is TINY and really FLAT - it says in the manual that if I press the goddamn buttons too hard or I accidentally hit it with my fingernail, it breaks. Nothing lasts anymore, I guess they make everything as disposable as possible so that they can sell more crap to people. Another thing I hate are the idiotic buzzwords such as "HD" and "next-gen". I've used resolutions bigger than HD since 2002.

Hopefully, by the time my CRT monitor breaks (maybe around 2020) the monitors have at least reached the same quality as CRT monitors were. Heck, I still have my original Microscan 3E/ADI monitor from friggin 1993, my friend has had an LCD since 2004 - the image quality is terrible and it's nearly broken. LCD monitors break so easily, one a bit harder touch or little scratch and that's pretty much it. I can even knock or slightly punch my monitor and it's still as good as new.

/rant

HenriH-42
And a crt will crack :P Get a glossy monitor, it helps the contrast ratio significantly, also OLED screens have super contrast ratios.
Stoner-Pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stoner-Pimp
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts

[QUOTE="Makari"]... yeah, you're a CRT zealot. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride!HenriH-42

It just pisses me off when games don't properly support 4:3. I mean, how hard is that to make? Letterboxing looks awful.

It does indeed look awful BUT at least on my 24" 4:3 CRT lowered to 1980x1050 widescreen is still at least 19" wide :D, i sort of got used to it when i had a 360 hooked up to it a while back BUT i'm in the same boat as you as i to won't buy a game that doesn't offer 4:3 (i do have mirrors edge though BUT it was free).
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HenriH-42

And a crt will crack :P Get a glossy monitor, it helps the contrast ratio significantly, also OLED screens have super contrast ratios.JigglyWiggly_

CRT won't crack, unless you hit itlike really hard. I've heard about this OLED technology, and it sounds like it's much better than LCD but they're still really expensive, right? I think I'm skipping LCD completely and only upgrading when these OLED monitors can be found for like 50 euros. In the meanwhile, I'm sticking with my trusty old CRTs.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HenriH-42

It does indeed look awful BUT at least on my 24" 4:3 CRT lowered to 1980x1050 widescreen is still at least 19" wide :D, i sort of got used to it when i had a 360 hooked up to it a while back BUT i'm in the same boat as you as i to won't buy a game that doesn't offer 4:3 (i do have mirrors edge though BUT it was free).Stoner-Pimp

Yeah I have a 19" ViewSonic P97f+, I mostly use resolutions like 1280x960, 1600x1200 or even 2048x1536... But if I use a widescreen res or the game has letterboxing it looks like I'm playing it on a 14" monitor it's pretty bad and it's a huge immersion killer. Lol reminds me of those days with my 486 and 15" monitor with a max res as high as 640x480.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]And a crt will crack :P Get a glossy monitor, it helps the contrast ratio significantly, also OLED screens have super contrast ratios.HenriH-42

CRT won't crack, unless you hit itlike really hard. I've heard about this OLED technology, and it sounds like it's much better than LCD but they're still really expensive, right? I think I'm skipping LCD completely and only upgrading when these OLED monitors can be found for like 50 euros. In the meanwhile, I'm sticking with my trusty old CRTs.

I hope OLED really takes off soon (or even better Laser displays), but it seems like LCD's are here to stay for the next couple of years.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HenriH-42

I hope OLED really takes off soon (or even better Laser displays), but it seems like LCD's are here to stay for the next couple of years.

BlueBirdTS

Yep it sounds much better than LCD. I don't mind waiting a few years though, I have plenty of CRT monitors in case this one breaks so I'll just keep using them until OLED gets cheap. ;)

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"]... yeah, you're a CRT zealot. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride!HenriH-42

Games can generally either support widescreen well (hor+ widescreen support, so 4:3 users are going to see less) or 4:3 well (vert- widescreen, so 4:3 people are getting the 'most' view) - somebody's going to have to take the hit, and the devs are slowly moving in the direction of widescreen support.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HenriH-42

Games can generally either support widescreen well (hor+ widescreen support, so 4:3 users are going to see less) or 4:3 well (vert- widescreen, so 4:3 people are getting the 'most' view) - somebody's going to have to take the hit, and the devs are slowly moving in the direction of widescreen support.Makari

Well then, that just means that those devs who choose to support only widescreen and not 4:3 aren't getting my money. Most of the games that have letterboxing are console ports anyway so I'm not missing much.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

One of the reasons i changed from my crt monitor to a nice 19" widescreen monitor and the difference is big ( both in size and image quality ). Besides the vast majority of monitors the last 2 years are wide screen ( let alone that some companies are lazy enough to put a 4:3 aspect ratio support)

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Whiles theres merit to the CRT > LCD arguments, nearly all manufacturers have stopped making CRTs. Most people who currently own a CRT have had one for years and years. By now most of them have blurred slightly and have lost some of the luminosity of the phosphors in the CRTs making them inferior even mid-range LCDs.

At this point, most people saying CRT > LCD aren't speaking from experience.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

HenriH-42
Anyone who believes this hasn't seen that latest generation of LCD's.... This may have been true a couple of years ago, but not now.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
CRT hurts to look at coming from LCD. LCD is crisp and appealing.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

Johnny_Rock

Anyone who believes this hasn't seen that latest generation of LCD's.... This may have been true a couple of years ago, but not now.

His statement is still technically true though. A $700 CRT will destroy a $2000 LCD in many aspects.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HenriH-42

I still see no reason to use LCD. CRTs can be found dirt cheap these days, I got mine for 10 euros and it works perfectly; The black is truly pitch black (that is, you can't tell if the monitor is on in a fully dark room), the colors look perfect and I don't have to worry about native resolution. It supports pretty much any resolution ranging from 320x200 to 2048x1536 without blurring up the image. Old games and new games both look perfect. Why would I pay hundreds for a "good" LCD monitor when I can have this for a few euros? CRT monitors are simply better value for money.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2470 Posts
CRT flicker = fail. LCDs save eyes.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HenriH-42

CRT flicker = fail. LCDs save eyes.attirex

Only if you don't know how to change the refresh rate. 100+ Hz = no flicker.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

XaosII

His statement is still technically true though. A $700 CRT will destroy a $2000 LCD in many aspects.

Both CRT's and LCD's have their pro's and cons. For imaging professionals or photographers I think CRT's are probably still better, but for gaming I don't see what's wrong with a high-quality non-TN panel LCD. Heck, I'm using a TN panel (worst kind of LCD) and I have no problems with it. I understand why some people choose to stick with CRT's and respect that, but the latest batch of LCD panels aren't bad at all for gaming.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HenriH-42

Both CRT's and LCD's have their pro's and cons. For imaging professionals or photographers I think CRT's are probably still better, but for gaming I don't see what's wrong with a high-quality non-TN panel LCD. Heck, I'm using a TN panel (worst kind of LCD) and I have no problems with it. I understand why some people choose to stick with CRT's and respect that, but the latest batch of LCD panels aren't bad at all for gaming.

BlueBirdTS

I personally have a couple of reasons why I prefer CRT monitors for gaming

1) No native resolution. I often play old games that use really low resolutions, such as 320x200. These resolutions often look horrible or are not even supported on LCD monitors. Even in new games, I tend to use different resolutions, ranging from 1024x768 to 2048x1536. LCD monitors generally only look good in their native resolution.

2) Black is truly black. I prefer to game in a dark room. Lights out, with headphones. CRT monitors undeniably have far superior black. LCD monitors tend to have gray-ish black, and it ruins the immersion for me, especially in horror games.

3) Cost. A good LCD costs a lot more than a good CRT.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

HenriH-42

1) No native resolution. I often play old games that use really low resolutions, such as 320x200. These resolutions often look horrible or are not even supported on LCD monitors. Even in new games, I tend to use different resolutions, ranging from 1024x768 to 2048x1536. LCD monitors generally only look good in their native resolution.

2) Black is truly black. I prefer to game in a dark room. Lights out, with headphones. CRT monitors undeniably have far superior black. LCD monitors tend to have gray-ish black, and it ruins the immersion for me, especially in horror games.

These are valid reasons, as I said I respect people who prefer CRT's. :) Basically, it just boils down to the individual and what they want.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"] Anyone who believes this hasn't seen that latest generation of LCD's.... This may have been true a couple of years ago, but not now.BlueBirdTS

This is true. While CRT's certainly used to whoop LCD's, these days the difference is only discernible to imaging professionals. A good LCD is the standard for gaming now. Sure, CRT's still have a couple pro's (like playing 10 year old games lol), but for newer games they kick the crap out of CRT's. I kinda feel sad for the people who still resists and clutch to the old technology...but I understand I guess.

I drank the cool-aid for a while too...the whole "crt > lcd" crap and all...then I purchased a 22" LCD and it completely blew me away. It's literally night and day. I would NEVER go back to CRT, and I had a really nice one too. It just doesn't compare anymore...

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HenriH-42

These are valid reasons, as I said I respect people who prefer CRT's. :) Basically, it just boils down to the individual and what they want.

BlueBirdTS

That's cool then. I just wanted to list my reasons. But I can understand why people prefer LCDs too. The most obvious one being that they take up a lot less space. I'll admit, that 21" CRT weighs a ton and is pretty goddamn big. :P

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

mine is 1680x1050 and i would never want anything smaller. I had to switch to LCD because the CRTs give me headaches. They are always flashing in my face like when you look at a CRT screen in a video-that is what gives me the headaches.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HenriH-42

This is true. While CRT's certainly used to whoop LCD's, these days the difference is only discernible to imaging professionals. A good LCD is the standard for gaming now. Sure, CRT's still have a couple pro's (like playing 10 year old games lol), but for newer games they kick the crap out of CRT's. I kinda feel sad for the people who still resists and clutch to the old technology...but I understand I guess.

I drank the cool-aid for a while too...the whole "crt > lcd" crap and all...then I purchased a 22" LCD and it completely blew me away. It's literally night and day. I would NEVER go back to CRT, and I had a really nice one too. It just doesn't compare anymore...

dnuggs40

How is it really that different? I've seen some pretty big and high end LCDs and to be honest I haven't been impressed. The size doesn't matter that much since I'm sitting like 10-20 cm from the monitor anyway. :D I'm also perfectly fine playing on a 15" monitor using 640x480, but maybe that's just me.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Johnny_Rock

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

XaosII

My $300 LCD will beat that $700 CRT through and through. Please... 10,000:1, 2MS response time, much, much better color display. There is nothing a CRT has got over my 22" Samsung.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

HenriH-42

How is it really that different? I've seen some pretty big and high end LCDs and to be honest I haven't been impressed. The size doesn't matter that much since I'm sitting like 10-20 cm from the monitor anyway. :D I'm also perfectly fine playing on a 15" monitor using 640x480, but maybe that's just me.

You gotta sit down in front of it and game on it. Seriously, I was just like you before and I held on to my high end 21" CRT forever...and I used to see LCD's on the store shelves and would snub them knowing their cons. Then a few years later in a move my CRT was smashed and I had to buy a new monitor and decided to take the plunge...seriously was so happy with my purchase. They are crisp, bright, wide (of course lol), and look very good. There is no more ghosting (if you buy one with < 5m response time) and you no longer have this huge 50lb beast taking up room on your desk.

Anyways, the first time I booted up a game in wide aspect on my new LCD I was sold...and for me CRT is history. I do understand the pro of CRT though with old games...but honestly for me even though I still occasionally play old games, I would rather have the LCD for new games and that's what I play more of.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Johnny_Rock

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

HenriH-42

1. I'll accept that, though I can deal with the black bars on the side of my 4:3 res games 2. Sorry, I have never had any issues with black in games. Again this might have been an issue years ago, but I haven't had it with my LCD (which happens to be my first). 3. No. I don't know any place that even sells CRT monitors any more, so you'd have to go to an online retailer to find anything good and you'll probably pay more than you would for a superior LCD.