What is it with the 16:9 only lately?!

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#51 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

2. Sorry, I have never had any issues with black in games. Again this might have been an issue years ago, but I haven't had it with my LCD (which happens to be my first). 3. No. I don't know any place that even sells CRT monitors any more, so you'd have to go to an online retailer to find anything good and you'll probably pay more than you would for a superior LCD.Johnny_Rock

2. In the middle of the night, turn off all the lights. Then view a completely black image on your monitor, and cover all external light sources (including the monitor's "on" light.) If you can tell that the monitor is on, it doesn't have as good black as CRTs do. As I said, I play games in darkness, it's the only way certain games like horror games and Thief can be played. If the monitor doesn't have perfect black, it ruins the immersion. IMO

3. I don't know about you, but I have several stores and flea markets near me that sell old CRT monitors for like 5-20 euros. I got mine for 10 euros. You can't find a matching quality LCD for the same price.

You gotta sit down in front of it and game on it. Seriously, I was just like you before and I held on to my high end 21" CRT forever...and I used to see LCD's on the store shelves and would snub them knowing their cons. Then a few years later in a move my CRT was smashed and I had to buy a new monitor and decided to take the plunge...seriously was so happy with my purchase. They are crisp, bright, wide (of course lol), and look very good. There is no more ghosting (if you buy one with < 5m response time) and you no longer have this huge 50lb beast taking up room on your desk.

Anyways, the first time I booted up a game in wide aspect on my new LCD I was sold...and for me CRT is history. I do understand the pro of CRT though with old games...but honestly for me even though I still occasionally play old games, I would rather have the LCD for new games and that's what I play more of.

dnuggs40

I might try it sometime. But as long as I have functioning CRT monitors, I'm not gonna spend money on LCDs. I'd rather just wait for OLED to get cheap.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Nothing wrong with that...I wouldn't had switched either if my CRT didn't get smashed...though I guess I am glad it did :D
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#53 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Nothing wrong with that...I wouldn't had switched either if my CRT didn't get smashed...though I guess I am glad it did :Ddnuggs40

Yup. I've been getting some backup CRTs "just in case" so I currently have 7 of 'em (1x21", 2x19", 1x17", 3x15") so I doubt I'll be running out of them soon. :P

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

My $300 LCD will beat that $700 CRT through and through. Please... 10,000:1, 2MS response time, much, much better color display. There is nothing a CRT has got over my 22" Samsung.Johnny_Rock

Actually, you'd be wrong on pertty much every account.

Contrast ratios are a load of crud. They are measuredd by taking a small segment of the screen and checking its darknes at 0% while comparing the brightness of the same are at 100% white. The only problem is that most manufacturers will lower the brightness to 0 then take the dark sample, then up the brightness to 100 then take the 100% white sample. Its inflating the numbers by taking the two extreme in situations that no user would ever use. At 100 brightness the blacks will be bright and washed out. At 0 brightness the darks will be dark, ut your whites will be grays. Even the best LCD's only have around a real-use scenario of 450:1 contrast.

I dont remember off the top of my head what its like for CRTs but its alot better than that. Unfortnately, over time CRTs tend to fade and lose brightness cause most CRTs out there today to have pretty poor contrast ratios.

Theres no such thing as an LCD with a 2ms response time. It doesn't exist. Its a bit of numbers play on the developer's part where they measure time-rising and time-falling of 10% color to 90% color. This is actually alot easier to do that gray-to-gray switching because the pixels aren't being essentially switched on and off causing rapid overdrive of color switching. Subtle changes respond slower on LCD's by about 3 to 4 times than the value stated. Even so, the actual value stated for 10%-to-90% can't always be accurate because some manufacturers don't state their criteria of when counting actually begins.

CRT's on the other hand have 0 lag in response times in either scenario.

As for color displays, its simply wrong. Even the best IPS panels with LED backlighting (over $2000) - the best, most even kind of backlighting - will not produce better colors than a good quality CRT (sub $1000). CRTs produce their own light to create the colors. LCD's are "filtered" with backlighting to produce colors.

OLED will rectify that problem for future flat panel screens though.

The nly things your 22" Samsung has is considerably less space occupancy and significantly less power consumption... Thats about it.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

I just bought an iiyama 24",i moved from a 1280x1024 native lcd,i had a crt about a year before that purchase...this owns them both(cheap too) its 1920x1080 native..i kinda wish i went 1920x1200..but all my games look far better now compared to my old lcd and crt.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

People still use CRT's? That sucks...getting my 22" LCD was one of the best upgrades I ever did. Get out of the past, the future is wide screen not crappy 4:3.

Franko_3
I alway keep my crt behind my monitor for the old game that don't support widescreen. I don't buy recent game that don't support widescreen anymore though...

Most widescreen monitors have a setting where it will put black bars on the edges if it detects a different resolution. You might not need a second monitor. Just look through all of your monitor settings and see if there are any settings regarding the aspect ratio. On my monitor, the option was off by default and some games were getting stretched across my monitor before I changed it.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"] My $300 LCD will beat that $700 CRT through and through. Please... 10,000:1, 2MS response time, much, much better color display. There is nothing a CRT has got over my 22" Samsung.XaosII

Actually, you'd be wrong on pertty much every account.

Contrast ratios are a load of crud. They are measuredd by taking a small segment of the screen and checking its darknes at 0% while comparing the brightness of the same are at 100% white. The only problem is that most manufacturers will lower the brightness to 0 then take the dark sample, then up the brightness to 100 then take the 100% white sample. Its inflating the numbers by taking the two extreme in situations that no user would ever use. At 100 brightness the blacks will be bright and washed out. At 0 brightness the darks will be dark, ut your whites will be grays. Even the best LCD's only have around a real-use scenario of 450:1 contrast.

I dont remember off the top of my head what its like for CRTs but its alot better than that. Unfortnately, over time CRTs tend to fade and lose brightness cause most CRTs out there today to have pretty poor contrast ratios.

Theres no such thing as an LCD with a 2ms response time. It doesn't exist. Its a bit of numbers play on the developer's part where they measure time-rising and time-falling of 10% color to 90% color. This is actually alot easier to do that gray-to-gray switching because the pixels aren't being essentially switched on and off causing rapid overdrive of color switching. Subtle changes respond slower on LCD's by about 3 to 4 times than the value stated. Even so, the actual value stated for 10%-to-90% can't always be accurate because some manufacturers don't state their criteria of when counting actually begins.

CRT's on the other hand have 0 lag in response times in either scenario.

As for color displays, its simply wrong. Even the best IPS panels with LED backlighting (over $2000) - the best, most even kind of backlighting - will not produce better colors than a good quality CRT (sub $1000). CRTs produce their own light to create the colors. LCD's are "filtered" with backlighting to produce colors.

OLED will rectify that problem for future flat panel screens though.

The nly things your 22" Samsung has is considerably less space occupancy and significantly less power consumption... Thats about it.

While technically it's an intriguing discussion, however on the surface the liquid crystals implemented in LCDs synthesizes a rather attractive image compared to the glossy glass in CRTs for Gaming. Over the years the color contrasts in LCDs have improved significally, in result proximating the gap between the high-end CRT displays. Lets be honest here about response times bud, personally I don't think there's a single person in this thread that cares at all about accurately represented response times so longs there isn't ghosting on the display for extremely fast moving images. Nevertheless, CRTs have better durability, but LCDs are prominent in power watts and space; at the core it's preference.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I would still be using my CRT moniter if it didn't break. My cat loved restng on it, it was warm for him. Sure, a few pieces of his fur slipped through the cracks, but it did't short circuit until he barfed on it... I'm glad I have a bad sense of smell...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="attirex"]CRT flicker = fail. LCDs save eyes.HenriH-42

Only if you don't know how to change the refresh rate. 100+ Hz = no flicker.

That is somewhat misleading... as I said about the subjective thing, 100Hz = flicker that your eyes can't pick up. Most people are okay over 85Hz; I know some people who get splitting headaches under 120Hz though. And those kinds of refresh rates do start to seriously limit the resolutions available to you. For instance, I used to own a P95f+ (black - good choice on the monitor!) before I switched to the 2001FP. I can't even think about using less than 85Hz refresh rate, which instantly limits you to 16x12 at maximum. Then you add in that the screen's actual viewable size on the 19" Viewsonic is more like a 17" LCD, and.. yeah, I'm glad I got the 20" LCD instead of shooting for one of the 22-24" Sony professional monitors which would've collapsed my desk. :D
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#60 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I would still be using my CRT moniter if it didn't break. My cat loved restng on it, it was warm for him. Sure, a few pieces of his fur slipped through the cracks, but it did't short circuit until he barfed on it... I'm glad I have a bad sense of smell...

ssvegeta555
LOL, thanks for the laugh, it made my morning.
-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts

I had really good CRT monitor, but after I got my 22" Samsung SyncMaster T220, I understood how crap CRT actually is.

And my laptop's LCD screen isn't that bad either.

CRT is yesterday, LCD is today.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="f22rf"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

People still use CRT's? That sucks...getting my 22" LCD was one of the best upgrades I ever did. Get out of the past, the future is wide screen not crappy 4:3.

I also belive so, but not until those LCDs will be as good as CRTs quality speaking.

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

It pisses me off, since I haven't yet downgraded to LCD monitors. If a game doesn't support 4:3 - I don't buy it.

CRT > LCD. Anyone who appreciates image quality knows that it's true.

I was in this boat less than a year ago. But while CRTs still win out in quality, the difference nowadays is minimal at best. I took the plunge last Christmas and got me a 24" Samsung T240. 20k to 1 contrast ratio so the blacks are "almost" as good as a crt, nice 1920x1200 resolution, and lots of good color options in the monitor menu. All for under $300. So in my opinion the minimal loss in image quality you get from switching from a CRT is absolutely worth the smaller profile, extra desk space, better brightness and less eye fatigue you get from LCD. And at the price you can get em for today(especially this year, tech is cheap), its a great time to switch.
Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Sordidus
Member since 2008 • 2036 Posts

I just upgraded from a LG 17" CRT to a Samsung T220 and it's like night and day.

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts

I definetly respect that CRT's easily have better & excellent colours/blacks. However, CRT fails really badly in one aspect for me: they're blurry as HELL, compared to my 22" LCD.

Seriously, after switching back to my CRT - just to see what it was like - to play a game of Company of Heroes, I just couldn't believe how blurred everything looked, not to mention how much strain that puts on your eyes. Zooming in close on the Panther tank, I can clearly remember when using my LCD being amazed by the sheer detail of scratches and nicks in the tank's armour. Of course, this was on max settings. On the other hand, when using the CRT, I was actually getting frustrated by being unable to pick up any of those fine details on the Panther, & other sweet little graphical details in the game. As an admirer of attention to detail; in my artwork, games, photography, you name it; to me, that's a major immersion killer. When you start regularly using a good quality LCD, you actually take the sharpness/crispness of the image for granted if you ask me.

Oh and one other thing, HenriH-42 states that in a pitch black room, devoid of any light source, you can't actually tell whether his CRT monitor is on or off when displaying a pure black image. I'm sorry, but that's one step too far. I'm calling BS on that man. Unless you can prove me wrong by providing some evidence, I don't care what screen it is; you can always blatantly notice that that image is on and isn't pure black.