What do you think of the new KOTOR being an MMORPG?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 JesusFreak1990
Member since 2007 • 1298 Posts

Most of you have probably already heard that after a long time of waiting for a new Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, Lucas Arts announced they will be making one, but it will be an MMORPG like Galaxies.

This makes me angry because it is not what I, or hardly anyone else wanted. We wanted a single player KOTOR 3.

Another thing that makes me angry about it, is that it will most likely cost monthly fees to keep playing. My brother and I stopped playing Galaxies because we decided that we shoulden't have to keep paying to play a game that we own.

If this really does cost money to keep playing, I will not buy it. But if by some miracle it's free to play after purcahse, then I might look into getting it. But I'll still be a bit mad that they didn't make KOTOR 3.

Btw in case you didn't know, the title of this MMORPG is "Star Wars: The Old Republic".

So, as the tittle of this topic asks, what do you think of the new KOTOR being an MMORPG? Please make sure to vote on the poll.

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

Haven't bought an MMO before, cause I can't justify paying the monthly fees.

I really enjoyed KOTOR 1 and 2, and after watching the video about the MMO, I think it sounds good. I was impressed when they said that it will have more story than all of Bioware's games combined.

In a way I think it is a good idea. Personally, I don't want to see the KOTOR series reduced to Tomb Raider. I would rather see them do something different.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
Well, I would have prefered a KOTOR3 by BioWare, I don't play MMOs (this might be the first) but I'd rather have a KOTOR MMO by BioWare rather than a buggy KOTOR 3 with a lame story by Obsidian
JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JesusFreak1990

Haven't bought an MMO before, cause I can't justify paying the monthly fees.

I really enjoyed KOTOR 1 and 2, and after watching the video about the MMO, I think it sounds good. I was impressed when they said that it will have more story than all of Bioware's games combined.

In a way I think it is a good idea. Personally, I don't want to see the KOTOR series reduced to Tomb Raider. I would rather see them do something different.

Tresca_

True. It is good if they do something different. I am beggining to think I really might like this new MMO, but like I said before, I will only play it if it's free after purchase.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

i think its amazing actually... been waiting for a while now for a good starwars mmo.

kotor would be perfect..

and yes they can still do kotor3... so its not that big of a deal >.>

i cannot wait till this game comes out.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.
crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crazymaghie123
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts

Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.Treflis

I wonder how much of the fanbase will overlap actually...

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.crazymaghie123

Excellent point indeed. Probably about half, maybe even more. That should get very interesting.

Otherwise, I think it's a great idea but I don't like it one bit. Paying monthly for a game is not my idea of fun, since I'd rather buy new games every month than pay for the same damn one I've already bought.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
[QUOTE="crazymaghie123"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.krazyorange

Excellent point indeed. Probably about half, maybe even more. That should get very interesting.

Otherwise, I think it's a great idea but I don't like it one bit. Paying monthly for a game is not my idea of fun, since I'd rather buy new games every month than pay for the same damn one I've already bought.

i hate it when people use the fee as an excuse. if you pay $15 a month to play an mmo, it will probably suck you in for the whole month so that you dont play any other games. assuming you buy one new $50 game a month, you will be saving $35. mmo's never end, and have infinite replayability

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
I prefer to see them take the story in a different direction instead of sequel after sequel after sequel. If you like KOTOR 1 and 2, go play them again. SWG sucked. We need a good SW MMORPG.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Worse idea ever.. We have a ton of MMO's out there.. I highly doubt Biowares MMO will surpass blizzard's WoW, and we will be missing another great singleplayer series in the ever dwindling collection of them.. See here is the thing, MMOs are fun, but it comes to the point where the majority of them are entirely too similar to really care.. Further more KOTOR was one of the best rpgs to come out in a long time.. Now we are getting robbed from a proper sequel.. Its lame.. Maybe if the market wasn't FILLED WITH MMORPG's released and about to be released, I would be more optemisitic.. But wtf? We have more MMORPG's coming out then any other genre..
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="krazyorange"][QUOTE="crazymaghie123"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.shakmaster13

i hate it when people use the fee as an excuse. if you pay $15 a month to play an mmo, it will probably suck you in for the whole month so that you dont play any other games. assuming you buy one new $50 game a month, you will be saving $35. mmo's never end, and have infinite replayability

Uh.. no? Wow costed $50 on release. and i'm sure WAR was the same..
m1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 m1993
Member since 2004 • 1167 Posts
Well, I played this MMO a long time ago with turn-based combat like KOTOR, and loved it. For that reason, I'm stoked.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
I generally buy used, so I can get one or two games for $15 a month. Why play one when I can play 2 or more? Exactly.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lach0121

I generally buy used, so I can get one or two games for $15 a month. Why play one when I can play 2 or more? Exactly.krazyorange
well thats not bad thinking, just i have been waiting for this game for a while, i mean i figured it would eventually be made into mmo, once i played kotor1 half way thru, its got a good universe and setting for mmo. great potential, i just hope bioware does good with it. but i feel if its good enough a monthly fee wouldnt be too bad as long as it isnt more than anythign currently out...

but i see your point. i buy mainly games that have been out atleast 5 months, even years. 3 reasons.

1. patches... done compeleted usually by then.

2. prices drop temendously on pc games by then. most do anyways. especially on amazon.com etc.

3. so i can run them at max 1680x1050 at 60fps, and what not :), cant really do that with some of the new games that are comming.

except 2... Red alert 3, oh as soon as i can get my hands on it.

and silent hill homecoming, pc, both pc actually, well silent hill by xmas anyway.

red alert should run great on it... so im excited.. always loved C&C, sorry im off just game fantasy lol.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

my feeling fits none of the options.

I'm not really anticipating a Bioware KotOR III to begin with, especially after the mediocre Mass Effect. So when the game turns MMO, I'm ok with it because it'll be just another MMO among many that I don't play.

MMO is a trend, profitable and least affected by piracy, nice business decision from EA & Bioware.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I think that I won't play it. That's about it.
slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Pretty much hate it.

The reason I wanted another one is so that I have a nice, long video game to play on deployment. But if it has to be connected to the internet, its useless to me.

I understand why they did it, and I can't argue with the economics (especially with pirating) but I think it sucks.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

I'm actually excited to see this game comeing out. Iv'e been hoping they would fix galaxies so it could be fun like the old days, but it's sort of to late for that now. :lol: Hopefully KOTOR will be as good as the old galxies, and hopefully the developers won't skrew this up, like the SWG team. >_> So I say yay.

I do agree with you about the monthly fees, but think of it as paying for a much better game. With the money we pay them they are able to make the game bigger and better, with patches expansions etc.

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts
i think its good, cant wait to see more
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
I'm actually very excited about this announcement. The idea of having galactic quest amongst additional players in a Star Wars Universe/Kotor setting is rather phenomenal. With Bioware upon this project the future absolutely looks bright.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
This is disappointing news, but I've heard rumors that it would be an MMORPG so I was not very surprised when the news came out.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

All the people who say "I will never pay...." etc etc, will probably end up trying this game

Another thing, STOP USING THE FEE AS AN EXCUSE.... do people complain about paying $30 or whatever to be a member of a gym....or a swimming pool.... !!!

Poster_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Poster_11
Member since 2003 • 438 Posts
all i got to say is Head Palm!
JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JesusFreak1990

All the people who say "I will never pay...." etc etc, will probably end up trying this game

Another thing, STOP USING THE FEE AS AN EXCUSE.... do people complain about paying $30 or whatever to be a member of a gym....or a swimming pool.... !!!

FelipeInside

First of all, I do want to try the game, hopefully in the beta.

Second, you are right about what you said about the fee. I have been thinking about it more, and I guess it really is ok to charge people monthly fees, because without your money they couldn't keep the servers going.

I might end up getting it, we'll see what happens when the time comes.

I was mostly angry in the first place because Star Wars: The Old Republic is just not what I wanted from Lucas Arts. But, you can't always get what you want.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

Of course...I too wanted KOTOR3, but I am WILLING to GIVE THEM A CHANCE with an MMO, instead of just bringing them down.

And about the fee... again, you pay a gym membership, or pool, or soccer team to excersive or have fun per month, so what's with paying a game company monthy to have fun...?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

sorry... I meant

"So what's WRONG with paying a game company monthy to have fun...?"

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"][QUOTE="krazyorange"][QUOTE="crazymaghie123"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Knowing Bioware it might be awesome despite them threading on new grounds, if done correctly and they way they said with all the features in it then it might be yet another rival to WoW due to the massive Star Wars fanbase.Nibroc420

Uh.. no? Wow costed $50 on release. and i'm sure WAR was the same..

they cost $50 to buy and come with a months subscription. there is no way they would ever charge a $50 monthly fee lol

tubeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tubeu
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
It's no matter being an MMORPG if we can feel a storyline.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Not really happy KOTOR 3 turning out to be a MMO. I dont see myself getting this game at all.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Not really happy KOTOR 3 turning out to be a MMO. I dont see myself getting this game at all.Jd1680a
It's a bit late, but Bioware's mentioned a couple times that they don't intend this to be a KOTOR game, which is why they knocked the K out of the name - it's just set in the historical time frame, but it's an MMO.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts
I've become bored with every MMO I've tried...p2p and f2p alike. For me, MMOs usually start about pretty cool; You're thrown into this huge new world to explore, new characters and people to interact with. Yet, after a short while they just become too repetitive for me. I like the first two KotoR games, but since I get bored with MMOs, my thoughts on the next KotoR being an MMO is skeptical at best.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#33 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
Seems like they're going to use the KOTOR name to make a new Star Wars MMO after Galaxies didn't do too well. Hopefully it turns out well though.
madyran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madyran
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts
I was very skeptical at first too, but then I read some stories, looked at some previews, and watched a few videos and had my mind completely changed. It sounds like they're going to do some very special things with this game. I've been a huge KOTOR fan since the games release and despite the contrary review scores, I loved KOTOR 2 almost as much as the original KOTOR. I also do have a very strong hope that this will be the game to out-do World of Warcraft. The MMO industry is due for a change and there would be no other better game to dominate the market than KOTOR. I just hope that I haven't set my standards too high because this is now my most anticipated game.

As for the money argument, I think thats a load of **** because you usually do get a full month of playtime for free which should be eating up at least 7 hours of gameplay. That should be the bang for your buck for a normal game. Plus whenever you pay you get infinite ammount of re-playability. Bogus argument.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
I dislike mmos but might try it this time
wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts

Nice way fom Bioware to screw all the established storyline from Kotor 1 and 2.I would've rather much prefferd a Kotor III than this garbage,even if made by Obsidian which really have redeemed themselves in my eyes.The main reason why I loved the Kotor series that much is because of the fantastic story and the good combat system,now they are throwing all that away for an MMO.

No thank you.While I agree this probably wasn't Bioware's choice in stead it was EA's choice which likes to screw fans so much,still.

Also all that talk of a "story" in this MMO is pure garbage,it will have as much of a story as Pac-man had.I will forever hate Bioware for this AND for screwing Dragon Age as well.

abz231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 abz231
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I dont play MMOs but i enjoyed KOTOR 1 and 2 so this might be the first MMO i might play and they designers said something like this MMO is going to be KOTOR 3 to 10
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I will be playing it right alongside LOTRO and Star Trek Online.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I can't wait. The only thing that bothers me is that we probably won't see another kotor game as long as the mmo is alive and kicking. I can see the mmo stagnating the franchise.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
What I think of it? Hmm "About ****ing time" should accurately convey what I really think about it.
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#41 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
MMO? Lets replay kotor and kotor 2
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#42 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I am very excited for it. I can't wait until it is released. I really am one of the people that are excited that it is a MMO. I love playing MMO's so. Especially how SWG got really messed up by SoE I hope for the best!
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

If it's done well, I wouldn't mind it that much. I like Bioware rpg's and what we had seen so far it has the potential to become a great MMO that is very focused on story.

If they can pull it off, it would be fantastic.

There is still opportunity to make Kotor 3 in future.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
There probably will never ever be a KOTOR 3 since this MMO is basically KOTOR 3 and beyond, according to Bioware. But what MIGHT happen is they do a spin-off from the KOTOR story and that is good enough for me(to dream about, lol). In any case, I love MMOs and if BIOWARE really achieve what they are saying, (adding STORY to the MMO setting), then I believe this is good for the MMO genre, heck even the PC in general.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
I really hope this turns out great.
Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
I just wanted KOTOR 3 not another MMO we have to pay for... arg
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts
its average.. as we have seen before in galaxies starwars beyond live action combat games (republic commando, battlefront, etc.) tend to be umm sloppy.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 GeryGo
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
I think it's great idea, I wouldn't mind KOTOR 3 with co-op gameplay on the net but MMORPG is a big step, hopefully it'll end up to great game
Crocodile_Key

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Crocodile_Key
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts

i am very excited, people say they want kotor 3, and i understand the fear of it being an mmorpg, but dont forget the creators said instead of kotor 3, its 3-9, it has that much content, i cant wait

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lach0121

once again..

it is star wars, mmorpg, set in the saga (time frame) of knights of the old republic.

i do believe it will be good, i have high hopes for it.

i think it might be a step in the right direction, i have yearned for a star wars mmo.. galaxies was a let down to me, i hate to say.

and i want bioware to take their time with this one.

so when i upgrade my cpu later on to phenom II.

and my gpu once the game comes out, i can run it how i want.

i have a feeling this game will be great, and alot of people will be eating their words.

or try and keep up their image to still follow a hate it because it isnt "another" single player kotor-bandwagon.