What are your thoughts on my first pc build?

Avatar image for senatorarmstron
SenatorArmstron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SenatorArmstron
Member since 2022 • 10 Posts

This build is a rough first draft for a pc that I'm planning to build.

Built for playing modern mmorpg games like final fantasy 14 on 1080p 144hz max settings

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtZFxs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - 200$ | GPU: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6600 - 310$ | Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH - 160$ | RAM: ADATA 16 GB - 80$ | SSD: Verbatim Vi550 SATA III 512gb - 50$ | PSU: SilverStone SST-SX500-LG v 2.0 500gb - 160$ | CPU FAN: Thermaltake UX 100 - 16$ | Screen: MSI Optix G272 - 330$ | Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C - 110$

Total cost: 1416$

Are any parts here overpriced or overkill? What are your thoughts on this build?

I live in Europe btw.

2) Would it be a good idea to buy a standard atx mobo with many pcie slots and a ryzen 7000 cpu , so then I upgrade in the far future I won't need to spend on a new mobo and cpu and this way save money?

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a ton :)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

With the Ryzen 5600 use the stock cooler it comes with. But if you can squeeze abit more money for a i5 12400F it will be faster. But that will need an aftermarket cooler. That Thermaltake UX 100 is junk. For the power supply you dont need a SFX power supply for that Fractal Design Define Mini C case. You can use a standard ATX PSU thats under 175mm in length. Saving you some money.

Since your on a budget, waiting for AMD newest cpus isnt going to save you money nor worth the wait, cheapest one will be the 7600x which will be $300 USD and motherboards and DDR5 will be expensive as well.

SenatorArmstron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SenatorArmstron

@04dcarraher: My budget is unlimited. Just seems building a 3000$ pc doesn't make sense if the pc is for playing modern mmos at 144hz 1080p max settings, like final fantasy 14 endwalker.

What i5 12400F specs are superior to ryzen 5 5600 and how much better is it?

I can afford the upcoming amd stuff no problem.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher

@senatorarmstron:

The i5 12600 has higher ipc than the 5600 which will help with mmo's. Personally I would go with an i7 12700 you get 8 performance cores with 16 threads and 4 efficiency cores. Just a over all better gaming cpu for the money. Zen 4 or 13th gen isnt going to provide any major gains for gaming purposes. I would also grab a 1 or 2tb 3rd or 4th gen nvme m.2 ssd, 512gb is not enough imo. Also if you want to reach and maintain 144 fps I would grab a stronger gpu at least a 6700xt from AMD.

SenatorArmstron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SenatorArmstron

@04dcarraher: nvme2 ssds are more expensive and outside of loading screens don't provide better gaming experience in any way, so what's the point?

Why won't rx 6600 be enough to reach and maintain 144 fps?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher

@senatorarmstron: 3rd gen nvme ssds are not more expensive than 2.5" sata ssds and provide better overall responsiveness and transfer rates. You can pick up a TEAMGROUP MP33 1tb for like $60 in the US or even a Crucial P2 1tb nvme in the uk for like £64.

RX 6600 is not enough for sustained 144 fps. You can see fps in 60's at times in FF14. RX 6600 suffers from a lack memory bandwidth and limited to using PCI-E 4.0 8x at best.

RegenaSW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RegenaSW
Member since 2022 • 6 Posts

Can you raise your budget?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts
@senatorarmstron said:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - 200$ |
  • GPU: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6600 - 310$ |
  • Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH - 160$ |
  • RAM: ADATA 16 GB - 80$ |
  • SSD: Verbatim Vi550 SATA III 512gb - 50$ |
  • PSU: SilverStone SST-SX500-LG v 2.0 500gb - 160$ |
  • CPU FAN: Thermaltake UX 100 - 16$ |
  • Screen: MSI Optix G272 - 330$ |
  • Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C - 110$

Just my personal observations, feel free to ignore:

Case: don't do a small build unless it is for a specific reason (see below). Do a regular ATX build.

Storage space: Get one M.2 drive (256-512 GB) for your primary boot drive and applications, then get a proper NVMe 1TB drive as your secondary for games. Slight cost increase, but negligible in my experience. You don't need an NVMe drive but they are nice if you can find a deal.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a standard SATA SSD. Plenty fast.

Memory: for future proofing, you might as well get 32GB memory, and you might as well do it now. Do you need it? No, but 16 GB I think won't be enough for very long. Not sure how much it matters, but memory is made in sets and it works better if it matches; while you can buy another stick of 16 GB and add it in if it matches, it can lead to complications. If you get 32 GB now, you'll be set for years.

Also I think MMO's can be pretty memory intensive, especially if you have a lot of mods, background applications, and other stuff going on.

PSU: try to get a standard PSU, especially if you can find a modular one. There are a lot of good options. Do a little bit of research and spend a bit more for a good one; a bad PSU can ruin your components. Just remember that all these components are made by the same two or three companies so name-brand doesn't always mean it is better.

Cooling: that CPU fan you chose looks like a stock option but with LED's, I would not bother with it. You CPU should come with a stock cooler that works fine (it's not like back in the day where you often needed an aftermarket one, the stock coolers are fine these days). If you're getting a CPU without a cooler, maybe look for a better one. Lots of good options in the 20-40 USD range.

Other: don't forget about case fans, connectors, and other stuff. I usually set aside an extra 100 USD for various parts.

@senatorarmstron said:

Would it be a good idea to buy a standard atx mobo with many pcie slots

Yes. Small builds are cool and all, but unless you're doing it on a whim or for a specific reason, it makes more sense to do a stand ATX build with a mid- or even full-tower case. Reasons:

• You lock yourself out of a lot of options as far as motherboards go and expansion goes as well.
  • More options for cases and mobos
  • More cooling
  • More customization
  • More room to work with.

As for CPU's, I find that the are the component that lasts the longest these days. I think as long as you get something new'ish and mid-tier (but not near the bottom), you should be OK.

CPU and motherboard should not cost more than 400 USD imo.