Three PC games that changed your life

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#51 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
Freespace 2 - The best flight sim I have ever played. Nothing else ever came close afterwards. It was truly a work of art, I still play it every couple years just for the memories. I remember getting it for xmas and I was so stoked I ran out and bought a new flight stick. Homeworld - completely revolution RTS games. The last one I truly enjoyed playing. After Homeworld isometric RTS games just seemed shallow and pedantic. The only other RTS afterwards that I really enjoyed was BFME2. I have been hoping against all the odds the Relic would make a third one, things were looking up when they got the license back, but now THQ is going down and probably taking them with it :( Half-Life - THE game that got me into PC gaming. I remember buying it at BestBuy with my parents after xmas in 2000 and playing it until 2am. It was the first game that made me want to try to upgrade our 3 year old PC with a bright shiny new GPU. It was a VooDoo Banshee, I remember taking hours to get it up and running, but it was totally worth it. Played it many times and the multiplayer and TFC to this day, my fondest memories of gaming.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#52 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

can only think of like 2 PC games that leave an indelible mark.

Roller Coaster Tycoon

and

Battlefield 2.

yes i totally got into Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Battlefield 3, but those two really got me into gaming.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#53 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
My three games literally changed my life. Fragile Allegiance I was on my way to being a Sim City-playing herbivore before this game. Then one of the aliens attacked me. That awakened a murderous bloodlust in me that continues to this day. Total Annihilation I have an obsession. An obsession with finding my "Dream RTS." The game industry's offerings so far have all fallen short of being my Dream RTS, though three have come close. Meanwhile, I'm quietly working away in spare time to define exactly what my Dream RTS would play like. Today, the closest existing game to matching that criteria is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, and before that it was Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - but it all started with Total Annihilation. Neverwinter Nights I was a hopeless Diablo II addict. I would play it for 10 hours straight overnight every weekend and sleep till the afternoon, so this was not a healthy addiction either. Then I played Neverwinter Nights, and all of a sudden I couldn't stand to play Diablo II for 30 minutes let alone 10 hours. This game cured my Diablo II addiction. And on a slightly less life-changing note, there's also the combination of Doom II, Quake and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, for these three games shaped how I play shooters today. Doom II was my first FPS, but I played it exclusively with a keyboard. Then Quake came along and introduced me to mouse look, but I was still using direction keys to move around, which was awkward in hindsight. It was only until I played KOTOR that I finally switched to WASD - which was weird, because KOTOR wasn't even a shooter.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Gotta add Elder Scrolls on there to, game is a beast!
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#55 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Doom and Quake games turned me into a PC gamer. Life changing? Well, damn, I did kind of waste thousands of hours of my life on the Elder Scrolls series. Something more productive could have happened during the time I spent playing those games, so I suppose that changed my life.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Runescape, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I've been a PC gamer for as long as I remember, and I can still remember back to the DOS/Win3.1 days, so they didn't convert me or anything. Still, the following titles are indeed very influential in terms of my gaming tastes... 1: System Shock 2 I bought this (or, rather, my father bought it) going by nothing but a brief mention in a Computer Gaming World side column with a single screenshot, back when big boxed copies lined the game shelves. Must've been around 20 or even 50 of 'em there, certainly not a small print run. That had to be the best impulse purchase I ever made. It was pretty damn scary given that I was only 9 or 10 at the time, but it was an immersive singleplayer experience I'll never forget. It's also probably the reason I don't find Half-Life all that impressive. 2: Unreal Tournament My first real online multiplayer experience, which naturally came with a lot of pain and suffering and suckiness, but everyone has to start somewhere. It's what finally converted me to mouse aiming and WASD (before Tribes 2 would later convert me to ESDF, where I've stayed since), as I generally played Quake and other old FPSs using the arrow keys. But the real reason UT makes my list was that it developed my love for mods, which ultimately made me shift more toward PC gaming in later years. Visiting a new UT server was like getting something new almost every time, and my particular favorites back then were "Strangelove Assault servers" which were basically time-limited obstacle course runs on the back of Redeemer-esque missiles. Those servers have been dead and gone for years, but at least there are CTF servers with maps based around SLV use. I would eventually move on to other multiplayer FPSs with mod communities like Battlefield 1942, Tribes 2, and so forth for the bulk of my multiplayer time, but it was UT 1999 that really got the fire going for me. I even still play it from time to time, and would probably play it even more if I could set up a dedicated server with the mods of my choice and get some friends to join me on it. 3: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters Unlike the other two games, I didn't play it when it was new, but long after it had went freeware via the UQM project (version 0.4.0 at the time). The title had been mentioned now and then on forums like this, but I didn't really know what came with it. The beginning was frustrating (damn Ilwrath and weak starting ships!), but I quickly found a game brimming with personality in each and every species, one that tapped into my natural desire to explore, that quickly shot up to the top of my "best games ever" list, all without any sense of nostalgia backing it. When that list includes the likes of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, that is no small feat. (And let's face it, you saw this coming on the list from a guy with a Spathi avatar, didn't you?)
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Saints Row the Third, and Battlefield 3 for the worse.

Cordliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Cordliss
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

1) Wolfenstein 3D and Doom - These were the first PC games that my father bought and it absolutely changed the way I looked at video games. If my father had not built me a PC from his spare parts I might not have ever gotten into gaming.

2) Starcraft - My first serious RTS, it was the first time I got serious about online competition and I learned absolutely everything about that game, I used to spend almost every waking moment outside of school playing against people. Strangely enough it was also one of the last games I ever cared about playing competitively until World of Warcraft.

3) Everquest - This was my first MMO and it completely blew my mind when it first came out. The massive world and the overall feeling of being apart of a large community was like nothing I had experienced in gaming.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts

everquest 1 seriuosly i cant believe no one mentitioned it lol. sure it had the best people in gaming....so what... 1k man raids who cares.... guilds bigger then your mom so what....more content then your gf has lol so what. indeed best 1 year i spent in 2002 gaming anyways. lol. i actually met peoople in that game worth a dam lol. honestly i hate every mmo that came after eq1. for real.. i dont even care to explain it lol... :P hafun with crapola.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Those would be, in that order: Legacy of Kain series(Soul Reaver games take priority) StarCraft Halo/Counter Strike.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#62 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Quake II- Sure I played Wolf3D and DOOM. Yeah, they were awesome. But it was Quake II that really stuck out for me. I loved its campaign, and later loved Quake III just as much. But I was always a campaign kind of kid, and Quake II was likely my favorite shooter of the 1990's.

Diablo II- I put years of my gaming life into Diablo II. It was a one of a kind experience for me. Diablo was fun, but the sequel is everything I wanted from an RPG. It's a shame Diablo III was such a letdown for me.

Mirror's Edge- Platforming bliss. I've never been so immersed in a game before.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

Halflife. First shooter that actually moved me, immersed me...never felt like that in a game before. Also the game that introduced me to online gaming.

Deus Ex. A game I play regularly, every year, since it surprised me as an added freebie with my sounblaster card way back when. This game, as far as I am concerned, is the greatest game ever developed, and the standard to which I hope all games strive to be.

Neverwinter Nights. Not exactly the greatest DnD RPG, but still pretty damn good. Introduced me to the genre, and its been a lot of fun ever since. My only regret being that I did not discover RPGs sooner, as I feel I missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Other games to note:

Command and Conquer
Homeworld
WOrld of Warcraft
Minecraft
Terraria
Anno series.