Three PC games that changed your life

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

Three games that totally changed your gaming world, and why!

1. Deus Ex

Best atmospheric experience and set a new standard for storytelling, which is now the number one quality I seek in a game. First time I was exposed to conspiracy theory.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Awesome environments and lovable characters and a set the bar even higher for storytelling. Got me into the Star Wars universe.

3. Mass Effect

As we know, set out an amazing trilogy in 5 years and created a continuous universe I grew to love. Gamers aren't happy with some of the design decisions of ME3 but regardless, one of my favorite series' in gaming.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Diablo 1

Diablo 2

Diablo 3

:cool:

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
None because they're games. But as for actual game changes, few titles modern or old have the versatility of Deus Ex 1. I might buy it again if its remastered with new graphics and such.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

No game has ever "Changed my life"

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
age of empires series, starcraft 1, starcraft 2.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Flight Simulator 1

Dune 2

Doom

....my gaming life, anway.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

well not 3 pc games but games that actually changed my life were the games that actually got me to make gaming a hobby. mario bros 3, sf2 and super mario world

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

1. World of Warcraft - Great memories and have played it more than any other game.

2. Rainbow Six: Eagle Watch - I think this was the right rainbow six game anyway. It was the game that really got me into PC gaming.

3. Solider of Fortune 2 - Played it for a couple years online, had my own clan and everything.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Planetside 2
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
WoW, COD2, Mass Effect.
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

Few people complaining about the title, but there are indeed a few games that changed my life. Two stand out the most for me.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - this was my first PC-only shooter, previously I was still a puny console nublet. Inevitably this was the game that started me on my trek to becoming a PC gamer and loving multiplayer shooters in general.

World of Warcraft - Nobody plays a game for 4-5 years and does not consider it as changing your life. I loved WoW and have amazing memories of it. I am quite frankly burned out of the series now and care nothing of the franchise anymore, but I will always consider it one of the truly great MMO's on the market.

Half Life 2 - Only listed this one to stick with the thread topic of "3 games". Basically this is just my favorite game series of all time. I suppose that I can say it has changed my life by, to this day, still waiting for it's potential sequel...

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

They didn't change my life but they were the ones that sucked me into gaming.

Theme Hospital

Warcraft : Orcs & Humans

Quake 2

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Not that I play it any more but definitely World of Warcraft vanilla + TBC. Deus Ex games especially Human Revolution, Max Payne series although not a PC only series, Starcraft, Command and Conquer, and sims like Sim City (the older ones), Civilization games, Half Life series, Counter-Strike. They didn't change my life, but they were memorable experiences.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Ultima Online

Counter-strike

Star Wars Galaxies

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Jedi Outcast
Counter Strike Source
Quake Live Yeah,

if I never played jedi outcast, I probably wouldn't even be here.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

1. Medal of Honor Allied Assault- My first Online FPS game. Introduced me to that world.

2. Battlefield 2- Took 600hrs of my life. Found out how addicting stats and medals were.

3. Rome Total War- Showed me the true power of PC gaming.

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

Max Payne 1 and Max payne 2, one of the most emotional games i have ever played. There's just nothing like it.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

1. Starcraft

2. CSS

3. Team Fortress 2

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Sonic Adventure. It introduced me to the idea that games could genuinely make good on the saying 'anything is possible'.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_

Sonic Adventure. It introduced me to the idea that games could genuinely make good on the saying 'anything is possible'.

Starshine_M2A2
On pc?
halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

1. World of Warcraft - Great community, good endgame content, very fun with a group of friends. Definitely my most played game.

2. League of Legends - Introduced me to the MOBA genre, another game great with friends.

3. Bioshock - One of my all-time favorites, it's what really got me to switch to PC gaming.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#22 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

WoW, Warcraft III, Mass Effect.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Starshine_M2A2
[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

JigglyWiggly_
On pc?

I played it on the Dreamcast originally but I got the PC version when it came out.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2
On pc?

I played it on the Dreamcast originally but I got the PC version when it came out.

Ye I played it on dreamcast originally as well.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Ultima Online Myth: The Fallen Lords Total Annihilation
strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

1. Police Quest Collection. It had like five games in one, and was the first PC game that impressed, and drew my attention away from console gaming. It also let me play as an everyday police detective.

2. Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: WWII Europe Series. I picked this because it was my first online game, even though I only played it for 10 minutes online.

3. Crusader Kings II - Recently bought it on steam sale so I got it fairly cheap. I picked this game although I am only 15hrs into it over 3 days because it brought a smile to my face, thereyby, changing my world by putting me into a good mood. The game--and all its gameplay options, and choices to make--reminds me of excellent, old-school, strategy games.

I almost voted in Jane's F-15, but CKII one out because it is more recent.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Easy.

Hitman 2: Silent assassin
The amount of freedom opened my eyes to PC gaming, since I downloaded the hitman 2 demo on pc w/ nvidia geforce 4 and it started it all. I had played RTS and city building games on the PC before but nothing like this.

Americas Army
This game got me into the multiplayer scene. I played this game from 2004 till the game shut down its servers last year. The teamwork required, the slow placed, think before you shoot gameplay is something I still cant find in the multiplayer scene.

Stalker
Its just an amazing game, brought that freedom I love to a whole different level while still making things relevant and pushing me through the story

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I wouldn't say any one game changed my life, but there have been games that changed the way I looked at games

1. Morrowind

2. Deus Ex

3. Half Life 2

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

1) Mech Warrior 2

2) Tie-Fighter

3) Age of Empires

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Starshine_M2A2
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] On pc?

I think most of the games I played on the Dreamcast were the ones that had the most impact for me. Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi were also some of my favourites.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

World of Warcraft

Battlefield 1942

Half Life

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] I played it on the Dreamcast originally but I got the PC version when it came out.

I think most of the games I played on the Dreamcast were the ones that had the most impact for me. Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi were also some of my favourites.

Indeed. Code Veronica. Dino Crisis. RIP Dreamcast. 9/9/99 What a launch day lol.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] I played it on the Dreamcast originally but I got the PC version when it came out.Starshine_M2A2

Ye JSR is too epin.

Though I prefer the original sonic games on the genesis, Sonic 3 and knuckles and sonic 2 are too good.

Though if you liked sonic adventure, go play Klonoa 2. It's way more polished than any 3d sonic game, ofc it doesn't exactly play like them. Same audience should like the game though, dhat ambient music in Klonoa 2 is reason enough to play it.

dhat music

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Halo, it turned me into a PC gamer (oddly, yeah...). Counter-Strike: Source, best game of all time hands down jesus christ the hilarious days in minigame servers full of goddamn laughter and cool s***. Yeah I wouldn't say the changed my life at all, but they definitely made me stay as a PC gamer and never look back.
Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

Yeah, I guess I was a little over the top by saying, "changed your life"

But for me, the three games I chose (Deus Ex 1, Star Wars KOTOR, Mass Effect) certainly changed my perception of entertainment. They definitely set a new standard for what I expected in games. The stories they offered are ones that I think about every now and then and I can't forget the times I played them. I grew up on these games as my standard bearer for entertainment.

They're the type of games I don't feel guilty about when pouring in triple-digit hours of play time.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

1. WoW- seriously played this game on and off for 8 years, met a good friend over it whom I've personally known for 8 years.

2. Warcraft 3- stayed up 3 days straight playing the crap out of this game, I would play it for a few hours then go to work and come back and play it.

3. Skyrim- probably the most fun I've had playing a game, a modded skyrim is probably the best game I've played.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
For me, In the Old Days PC only games: 1 - Call of Duty, the Russian Starting Mission, when they get out of the ships after planes attack them, and run forward, if u get back, ur officers kill u. 2 - Medal of Honor Allied Assault, I will never ever, forget that Omaha Beach mission. 3 - Starcraft, I was never sucked into a story in an RTS game like i was to this. Last Gen and This Gen mostly Multiplats: 1 - The Walking Dead, I never loved a zombie game this much, its the reason I bought the TV series and watching the 3rd season, and it changed interactive games and story telling for me. 2 - Batman Arkham Asylum, it made me part of the Batman Universe, i felt home. 3 - Doom 3, it was the 1st real horror experience for me. I got scared I stopped playing it for a while.
Scryll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Scryll
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
1. Everquest 2. Civilization 1. 3. Half-Life or Myth 2: Soulblighter
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Starcraft / Starcraft 2: Introduced me to the exciting world of e-sports.

DotA / DotA 2: Phenomenal WC3 mod with incredible depth and its just icing on the cake with Valve developing DotA 2.

WoW: My first and last MMO. I stopped playing it three years ago but in terms of shear awe and enjoyment, no other game I have played has matched WoW.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

1. Half Life

2. Age of Empires 1

I pick those two because they changed the way I looked at gaming. Before that I played stuff like Paper Boy, Sonic and Mario but that was just a pass time for me. Half Life showed me that games can offer you an experience on par with movies even better: you were the center of everything. Games became something I would spend time in, not waste it.

Age of Empires sparked my love for RTS and it was just so much fun playing it with friends. The age of empires games also made learning about history entertaining :P

3. RTCW

This game showed me how fun online FPS can be. I played other games before them but I never found much fun in them. This game was all about working as a team to reach your objective and how much more rewarding that can be than solo actions. It's still the reason why I like team based FPS more than other competitive FPS.

For me, In the Old Days PC only games:

1 - Call of Duty, the Russian Starting Mission, when they get out of the ships after planes attack them, and run forward, if u get back, ur officers kill u.

2 - Medal of Honor Allied Assault, I will never ever, forget that Omaha Beach mission. Shatilov

Oh yeah those moments were so awesome. They were even more cinematic than some of the cinematic games today and they did it with way less stuff going on. Looking back at it now: Mohaa had like 5 people on the entire beach, haha but at its time it was so immersive and epic.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Half Life
Deus Ex
Operation Flashpoint
Battlefield 1942
Tribes

and plenty, plenty more.

Pretty big influence in getting into games development and research.

edit*

MechWarrior 2
Tie Fighter
Interstate 76'

Gosh, how could I forget.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#42 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Divine Divinity
World of Warcraft

Half Life

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts
  1. Diablo
  2. Diablo 2
  3. Battlefield 2142 (where I started in the BF series)
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Starcraft introduced me to RTS games, Diablo introduced me to action-RPGs and WoW introduced me to MMORPGs. I was introduced to RPGs, racing games, sports games and FPS games on consoles. Counter-Strike was one of the first FPS I played on a PC.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Counter Strike

Warcraft 3

Empire Earth

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
Games that left a mark: Call of Duty Call of Duty 2 Half Life 2 Mark of the Ninja Left 4 Dead Left 4 Dead 2
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Atari Adventure - My first "rpg"

X-Wing - My first omg moment, addicted me to PC gaming

Ultima Online - My first MMO (and multiplayer experience in general)

gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#48 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Delta force black hawk down/team sabre

I was 12 year old and played on consoles, then i went to the living room and looked when my dad played DFBHD on his 3000 dollar computer with a 9800 pro. i was amazed at the graphics. Thats when i saw the superiority of the pc over consoles. i begged my dad to let me play the game and he let me, my mom was a bit uncertain if a 12 year old boy should play a game with a 15 + age limit, but she eventually accepted it, because she saw how fond i was of the game, and plus i had no friends at that time and i was lonely (BHD was a multiplayer game). I played the game every day after i came home from school. Played the game for three hours and then looked at the stats (i was a stats whore at that time). This game made my life amazing and meaningful, and i will never forget it. my favorite game of all time.

ES 4 Oblivion

In 2005 i got my own pc with a pentium 4 3,0 ghz and a geforce 6800. i payed 1000 dollars, my mom and dad payed 800. Anyway i started getting tired of DFBHD around late 2005 and early 2006. so i decided to finally try something else, i was also tired of the whining, arguing and hacking in BHD. I fired up oblivion, had to set the game to 1024*768 and medium settings, and i was swept into this immersive and well thought out world. I played this game every day for many hours, and i enjoyed every moment of it. i remember becoming so fascinated when i read a book in the game, that i had to go to the toilet and puke. Amazing game.

Fallout 3

I got tired of the way we pc gamers were treated about summer 2007 S.T.A.L.K.E.R ended up being the last game i bought before i quit pc gaming. It would take 1 year and 6 months before i touched my pc again. My dad bought Fallout 3 and i was impressed, this game reinvigorated my interest in games for pc for a short while. After 3 months of non stop gaming for well over 200 hours i finally quit. I will never forget the story in Fallout three and the people i met during the game. This game made me see how cruel humans can be, i started to lose trust in people after i played this game. After i stopped playing fallout around march 2009 i quit pc gaming again because there werent any interesting games to play, but returned in September 2010 with a new pc with Core i5 750 4 gb ram and a 5850.

gta_freak21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gta_freak21
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
GTA Vice City Hot Wheels Spiderman 1 Great Memories (my first post)
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
burning crusade bf2142 half-life 2