The REAL reason The Force Unleashed" is not coming to the PC

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts

US, May 12, 2008 - LucasArts, once a prominent PC gaming company, decided to develop Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on every major gaming platform except the PC. Cameron Suey, producer on the game, said the game is not coming to the PC because it was hard to develop a game that would satisfy both killer gaming rigs and outdated computers. The Force Unleashed takes place between Star Wars Episodes III and IV and puts players in the shoes of Darth Vader's secret apprentice and is due out in September for the PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, and Xbox 360. Suey elaborated why there will be no PC version of the game in an interview with Videogamer.com.

If LucasArts had delivered a PC version, it would have been based on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game, which feature new technologies that LucasArts has either licensed or helped to develop, such as the Euphoria for emotion-based character actions and Digital Molecular Matter for destructable materials.

"The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn't be the same game," said Suey.

Gamers might wonder why the developer isn't opting for a more down-scalable game that would reach a wider install base; after all, that philosophy has worked well for Stardock's successful Sins of a Solar Empire strategy game. Suey believes that developing the game to reach a more mass market will hinder the potential of killer rigs. Therefore, no matter how you cut it, only "a select few people" can enjoy the game as it was intended.

While Suey said the team will continue to support the PC with future releases, he did cite the variance from low-end to high-end PCs as a bigger problem than it has been in the past. When asked if the game will ever come to the PC, Suey said there are currently no plans to bring the game over to the platform.

Personally i think everything they say can be countered. They refuse to downscale a game becuase it hinders higher end systems and doesnt allow for the same experience of the game across all plauyer demographics. Well then why are they making it for the PS2 and DS and PSP?!?!?!? Is that not downscaling? Also what do they mean by "outdated computers"? Its like they are talking about the poor people using 486s to play their games. Basically my argument is that they are willing to offer downgraded different expwriences to lower platforms so that the game can sell on them but with the same logic they cannot make something that caters to everyone on the PC? Im pretty sure people with expensive pcs do not say that nobody makes a game that brings their monster rig to their knees. What do you all think about this?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I remember someone from LA citing "rampant piracy" as the reason for them not putting the game on PC. This only makes the situation even more hilarious. :lol:
Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

4000$ PC eh? I say I could max that game with a 500$ PC. I dont really understand whats their problem.

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
Wait, so the game is really just about the graphics? Am I reading it correctly?
Grim_Wolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Grim_Wolf88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
I would rather play a well optimized game that looks ok than a game that'll choke my PC to death because it needs hardware from the future. I personally would develop it with the more outdated PC's in mind to appeal to a broader audience but then again this generation is raving about graphics. Just remeber that if it doesn't look super detailed it's a crappy game. My current PC most likely and indefinetly capable of running SW:TFU on medium or high settings which I'm ok with but this just comes across as a poor arguement and an easy way out of a question they don't want to give an honest answer to.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Wow LA, whatever happened to your credibility?

I just lost a lot of respect for them. This is not a valid excuse at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wow LA, whatever happened to your credibility?

mo0ksi

It is when they obviously get their industry facts about the PC platform from System Wars.
Trilvester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trilvester
Member since 2003 • 1857 Posts
Wow them saying only people with $4k computers could run it just shows how ill informed they are about PC gaming and would probably have made a bad port anyway.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
I probably miss something, because the xbox360/ps3 look like crap to me, not even on half-life 2 level.
nightwraith40k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nightwraith40k
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts

*sigh*

Another bad excuse from a developer on why they wouldn't do PC games. They're too lazy to port and most like wouldn't go very well in the porting. Then they'd get bashed by reviewers on why they didn't work harder on the port. So they just decided not to do it all together. Do I make any sense in reality or am I crazy?:question:

Does LA think were evil or something?

Our gpus pwn consoles and completely for the ds one. I should spam there customer support with "We can run Crysis and you can't!" Just joking that would waste my time:P.

$4000 dollars rig?:? what bloody games need like a quad SLI to run a at normal pffff!

"Therefore, no matter how you cut it, only "a select few people" can enjoy the game as it was intended. " Then port it an we'll see eh!

All my respect when down the toliet with the money that might of been spent on this game if it came to PC

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I'm not too worried about it, ok even though I have a 360 and will be getting a PS3, I'm not expecting too much out of this game. The latest videos are loleriffic. The game kind of "pauses" every time you hit someone with a lightsaber, in all honesty it just looks like a Star Wars beat-em-up. Jedi Outcast to me was the pinnacle of Star Wars games and I don't expect anything to beat that experience. Amazing story, amazing gameplay, and dismemberment :D

With hardware prices at an all-time low, it doesn't cost much to build a rig that will play Crysis... the Force Unleashed would be a breeze compared to that. I really can't think of a good reason why they WOULDN'T release it on PC, seeing that they're still releasing PS2 and DS versions. The only things I can think of is some noob with a cushy job at LucasArts is looking at NDP stats and piracy stats and being scared of, even though they don't really tell the story of the PC gaming market.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

ummm...

*10 minutes later*

what~?

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Awful excuse. "Too hard?"
crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts
there should be a petition to LA saying that we think their excuses are **** and dare them to make the game for the PC and see wat happens.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
So the ps2 isn't getting a watered down experiecne, what a load of BS.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#17 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

there should be a petition to LA saying that we think their excuses are **** and dare them to make the game for the PC and see wat happens.crazyfist36

I'd rather wait for Jedi Knight: IV

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
Eh whatever. If they want to be that way then fine.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

there should be a petition to LA saying that we think their excuses are **** and dare them to make the game for the PC and see wat happens.crazyfist36

Petition? I'm boycotting all of their console games.

But seriously, you should wait until the game is out. Maybe it's going to suck donkey balls and in that case it won't be worth the fuss.

zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

I can't remember the last good game that came from Lucas Arts ever since the first prequel movie came out and they switched on consoles. I mean, really, every good Star Wars game that came out in the last few years was made by another company (like Bioware).

I am considering buying the wii version although it kind of reminds me on the PS2 Revenge of the Sith

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts
lol All of the comments in that article are full of people mad it's not coming to pc. So I think we have more than enough to make a difference if we bombard them with emails for a pc version.
zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Iam not mad it's not coming to the PC. I am slightly ticked off becasue of their explanation why it is not coming to the PC.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
why not just merge the 2 on put it on a disc? ok its not that simple but they could set it so that low-med settings are based on the wii/PS2 build while the high and ultra high settings are based on the 360/ps3 build. the wii and ps2 dont use stuff oike euphoria....they have had new tech built for their platforms. unless ure rig is really really out of date, it should cope fine with the PS2 build.
DennisKumfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DennisKumfi
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
Before that, I was perfectly fine with getting TFU for the 360. Now I won't. This must be the stupidest news of the week. And it's only monday.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

A $4000 computer? What an idiot. You can build a top of the line computer for sub $1000. And I guarantee that it would max your "masterpiece". His argument is that only $4000 machines will be able to play with Euphoria and DMM. One major flaw with that. The 360 and PS3 both use Euphoria and DMM, and guess what? They aren't even close to the power of today's computers. Just another lazy dev trying to cash in on consoles. I mean seriously, no multiplayer for 360 or PS3? But the Wii gets it? That makes TONS of sense.

I was going to buy this game but with the cuts (they said there was going to be mulitplayer for 360 and PS3) and these BS excuses, I'm definitely not buying it. I probably won't even get around to renting it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#26 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="crazyfist36"]there should be a petition to LA saying that we think their excuses are **** and dare them to make the game for the PC and see wat happens.biggest_loser

I'd rather wait for Jedi Knight: IV

Yeah gimme a new Jedi Knight already

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Lucasarts just lost the last ounce of respect I had for them.

They are fooling no-one with this stance, and at the end of the day it used to be up to the PC gamers themselves whether they wanted to run a game on lower settings or not. By that particular commentary they are effectively saying they no longer wish to give their audience those kinds of options.

I will say, however, that if they have made a console-centric title, they probably do not want to put it on the PC as it may not meet expectations on that platform. They did the same thing with the Obi-Wan game some years ago, although to be fair they did announce a new Jedi Knight game (Jedi Outcast) soon after coming out for the PC.

Nevertheless they have made it abundantly clear that consoles now take top priority for their company, right down to the DS and PSP. The PC gamer is effectively the mangy mutt whining for scraps under the table, and hoping they will throw us a bone.

They used to be a great company with innovative ideas, but sadly that no longer seems to be the case. At this point I really don't care what they do in the future. I am obviously not their target customer any more anyway.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

Idiotic Lucasarts. This isn't the same company that brought us classic titles like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

They've become Star Wars and console centric idiots.

Now I lost all hope of seeing Monkey Island 5. I decided not to buy another game from them anymore. SW Force Unleashed will suck anyway I think. It may have cool new technologies, but really they can only produce stuff with no creativity these days, so you may keep it for consoles, thank you very much.

Lucasarts really lost credibility when they cancelled Freelance Police. Thanks God for Telltale games!

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
No excuse. I'm sure the Wii version isn't a watered-down experience at all. =\
Simsfreak14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Simsfreak14
Member since 2006 • 1480 Posts
hmm
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kozzy1234

A $4000 computer? What an idiot. You can build a top of the line computer for sub $1000. And I guarantee that it would max your "masterpiece". His argument is that only $4000 machines will be able to play with Euphoria and DMM. One major flaw with that. The 360 and PS3 both use Euphoria and DMM, and guess what? They aren't even close to the power of today's computers. Just another lazy dev trying to cash in on consoles. I mean seriously, no multiplayer for 360 or PS3? But the Wii gets it? That makes TONS of sense.

I was going to buy this game but with the cuts (they said there was going to be mulitplayer for 360 and PS3) and these BS excuses, I'm definitely not buying it. I probably won't even get around to renting it.

howlrunner13

Yeah its pretty silly really. I spent $2200 on my new rig and there honestly isnt anything more i could want or need right now.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kozzy1234

Idiotic Lucasarts. This isn't the same company that brought us classic titles like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

They've become Star Wars and console centric idiots.

Now I lost all hope of seeing Monkey Island 5. I decided not to buy another game from them anymore. SW Force Unleashed will suck anyway I think. It may have cool new technologies, but really they can only produce stuff with no creativity these days, so you may keep it for consoles, thank you very much.

Lucasarts really lost credibility when they cancelled Freelance Police. Thanks God for Telltale games!

pilouuuu2004

Yea from the videos ive seen it doesnt look that good to me at all. I would way rather have a new Jediknight game on PC anyways, that new starwars game for consoles looks baaad imo

Gruug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 Gruug
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts
I haven't priced a 360 since I bought mine 3 years ago but seems it cost something on the order of $500. For about $550, I could build my own computer that would surpass the 360. MS sells their XBOX for a loss atm. Companies that are only providing games via the console do so because they are the lowest common denominator when it comes to cost of developement. As to the statement that the systems in Star Wars: Force unleased would not run on anything less then a $4000 computer, that is very far from the truth. The 360 is acutally far less advanced then the low end computers of today. Therefore, SW:FU would run just fine on about any computer with a descent vid card. By the way, the console is still not the dominate gaming platform. According to NPD, the PC is still the most used platform for gaming. What that sales numbers have not shown the last few years is that fact that more PC users download their games or play MMO's today then the console. One MMO alone pulls in subscription numbers of 500,000 a month....month after month. That is just one MMO. PC are alive and kicking. Companies that fail to develop for them are the ones losing out in making money on them.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I needed a good laugh and this article delivered. Thanks.

mysterylobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mysterylobster
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts
When people say you need a $2000 gaming rig, they're usually exaggerating. When they say you need a $3000 rig, they're usually console fanboys who don't know what they're talking about. I don't know what this guy was thinking when he talks about a $4000 PC.
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
We deserve it. We all deserve it. How dare we support a game developer during it's early years? How dare we give it feet and reputation to stand on? Exactly. Trust me, I work for the site that forged that article.
middito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 middito
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts
where do these flip flop devs get their degrees from? no wonder why we're in a drought.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
It's a Star Wars game. Who cares if it comes to PC????
cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

Considering the Wii and PS2 have much weaker hardware than just about any PC that would conceivably still be in use (they are roughly comparable to a PC from 1999 or 2000) this explanation is complete crap.

The real reason: laziness and greed. It's easier to make a quick buck with a mediocre game on consoles.

Arronaxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Arronaxxx
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts
Never cared for Star Wars univerce anyway, but this interview is hilarious. If I had a spare $4k to spend it on a rig, I wouldn't be a gamer in the first place - i would be too busy making money and not playing games :) But I guess people at Lucas Arts know better.
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

Ok................ummmm so it's only able to run on a $4000 computer, yet somehow they wave their magic wand and its on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in all its graphical glory.

I think what they really mean to say is "we dont trust Pc gamer's anymore and think it will sell poorly on the Pc, so instead we will invest in consoles and make teh billion's of dollers"

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Wow LA, whatever happened to your credibility?

foxhound_fox

It is when they obviously get their industry facts about the PC platform from System Wars.

lol, it looks like that,i have only heard the $4000 nonsense in system wars

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
I stopped reading after 4000$ Gaming Rig....
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Wow LA, whatever happened to your credibility?

naval

lol, it looks like that,i have only heard the $4000 nonsense in system wars

i'm actually surprised they didn't go to falcon-nw or dell or alienware or voodoopc and reference their $12,000 rigs.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

Have not read the whole thread, but this is the second time I hear something like this from a dev. I don't know about you, but if a dev-team feels that downscaling a game too much will hurt the gameplay, so be it. Two sets of hardware (ps3 and 360) is a lot easier to develop for than the insane amount of parts that's in our rigs. If focusing on gameplay and not on hardware makes the game better instead of making a half assed game for all the platforms, let them do it. Exclusives exist, deal with it.

Of course, I'm assuming they are not hiding the fact that they simply don't want to develop for PCs because of piracy.

As for PSP, DS and ps2 versions being downgraded... I believe a separate dev team is working on those, so they are probably very different games. But I understand that people are pissed off, ps2 is getting some love while the PC is treated like an ugly chick on a prom night. Glad I have a console...

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fireandcloud

Have not read the whole thread, but this is the second time I hear something like this from a dev. I don't know about you, but if a dev-team feels that downscaling a game too much will hurt the gameplay, so be it. Two sets of hardware (ps3 and 360) is a lot easier to develop for than the insane amount of parts that's in our rigs. If focusing on gameplay and not on hardware makes the game better instead of making a half assed game for all the platforms, let them do it. Exclusives exist, deal with it.

artur79

yeah, but why do they even feel that they need to downscale the game for the pc? the pc is far more powerful than either the ps3 or 360. you can BUY a $1200 rig from dell or gateway (with a monitor) that can run crysis on high settings (8800gt, duo core, 2gb ram). so mentioning $4000 rigs is plain ridiculous. so make the game with high system requirements. assassin's creed did it, and it's not selling too badly (i'm assuming). my ****ty rig can run that game (almost) maxed out, 1280x1024.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 artur79

8800gt, duo core, 2gb ram

Yeah, but how many PCs actually have those specs? And 1200 bucks is a lot of money, especially when you look at the population that this game is trying to appeal to.

I did not say that all PCs are weaker hardware-vise than the consoles. (Well, most are actually, but whatever.) My point is that instead of making a game that pushes the hardware to it's limits (still, they know that everyone can play it the way they meant the game to be played), they'd have to focus on optimizing it.. and junk. Very few devs get that part right imho. So instead of making a crappy port, they are focusing on making the game as good as it can be on standardized hardware specs.

So again: half assed < good, solid job.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fireandcloud

8800gt, duo core, 2gb ram

Yeah, but how many PCs actually have those specs? And 1200 bucks is a lot of money, especially when you look at the population that this game is trying to appeal to.

I did not say that all PCs are weaker hardware-vise than the consoles. (Well, most are actually, but whatever.) My point is that instead of making a game that pushes the hardware to it's limits (still, they know that everyone can play it the way they meant the game to be played), they'd have to focus on optimizing it.. and junk. Very few devs get that part right imho. So instead of making a crappy port, they are focusing on making the game as good as it can be on standardized hardware specs.

So again: half assed < good, solid job.

artur79

well, i can't really argue this point, so i won't, cuz i don't know what developing a game entails. but i just thought it was ridiculous of them to exaggerate the state of pc gaming by stating that high-end rigs cost $4000. just by that statement alone, it seems pretty obvious to me that their stated reason for not developing the game for the pc is total bs. if they're going to say that the pc being a non-standardized platform is a hindrance to developing a game according to what they envisioned, then at least don't exaggerate and spurt out bs in making the case.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 artur79

if they're going to say that the pc being a non-standardized platform is a hindrance to developing a game according to what they envisioned, then at least don't exaggerate and spurt out bs in making the case.

Have to agree on that.

But I think we should realize that devs are people too. She might have said something silly without giving it a thought, like we all do from time to time, and what happens? We overanalyze everything she says in a forum, saying it's all bs, rioting the streets, making an elephant out of a bug and so on.

Who in this forum never exaggerates to get a point across? Raise you hand! *keeps his hand down*

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fireandcloud

if they're going to say that the pc being a non-standardized platform is a hindrance to developing a game according to what they envisioned, then at least don't exaggerate and spurt out bs in making the case.

Have to agree on that.

But I think we should realize that devs are people too. She might have said something silly without giving it a thought, like we all do from time to time, and what happens? We overanalyze everything she says in a forum, saying it's all bs, rioting the streets, making an elephant out of a bug and so on.

Who in this forum never exaggerates to get a point across? Raise you hand! *keeps his hand down*

artur79

*raises hand* heh. no, you're right. we all exaggerate to state our case. i don't remember who she is, but she's probably some lucas arts representative. if i were george lucas and i cared even the slightest about the pc platform, i think i'd reprimand her for doing that though, cuz, hey, she's supposed to be a professional and saying stupid things like that isn't going to appease the pc gaming community (if that was her intention). it's only going to get us all riled up. it's a very inadequate explanation that only raises more questions. if she wanted to address the pc gaming community's concerns or questions, she should have respected us enough to give us a plausible explanation, instead of using exaggerations to say something that doesn't even sound all that convincing.

it may be that i have preconceived notions about why they're not making this game for the pc (probably cuz pc games aren't as lucrative), and it may be coloring my understanding of what she stated, but it seems pretty clear (to me, at least) that her explanation is half-***ed.