The Most Epic Battle Experience You've Encounter In A Game?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

With many played games under my belt there are those that become unforgettable. It's moments in a game that makes me or even you proud to be a gamer. So this is how this thread became about. Note: There can only be "one" moment that blew you away in all aweness and jaw dropping excitement.

The best battle experience will have to go to the Ragnaros "The Fire Lord" fight from World of Warcraft.

It's one thing to look at but it's a whole different thing to experience ingame. From the moment I seen his intro it literally blew me away with his creepy hollow voice and massive scale size. This boss required a huge 40 man raid to become successful. Truly a memorable moment in my gaming years. Here's a link to Ragnaros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKwWyTMr2YM&feature=related

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I have a couple, the first time I played the first Russia mission in Call of Duty, the one where you cross on the boat and storm the city. Was in awe.

My other would have to be my first frontier relic and keep battles in old Dark Age of Camelot.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

I have a couple, the first time I played the first Russia mission in Call of Duty, the one where you cross on the boat and storm the city. Was in awe.

vfibsux

Yeah me too

There's also Mass Effect and if you count one on one (or one againts a few) battles: Metal Gear Series and Indigo Prophecy (mostly because they're all very cinematic)

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

Am I the only one that still thinks that MoHAA's Normandy beach level (aka rip off of Saving Private Ryan) is the most intense level in any game ever created? It blew me away at that time. Sigh, I miss quality MoH-games.

That and FF10 is quite "epic", I guess.

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
I had a very satisfying battle in Sins of a solar empire today where there was probably upwards of 200 units just duking it out on this one system (It was the last stand of my enemy) But like all time...hmmm....some of the missions in Dungeon Keeper 2 where pretty epic, I'd say the mission where that ****load of monks comes rushing into your territory was just heart stopping.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Probably playing Operation Flashpoint over LAN with around 16 players for the first time. So amazing.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

There was a really great bit in Bioshock recently where I was in the Theatre and Cohen launches about 10 splicers at you in one of his rages. I alternated from winter blast to pistol, freezing them then shooting them in the head to shatter them - it was so rapid and awesome, how it made you feel so powerful. Then there was three bodies lying at the bottom of the stairs as water oozed out underneath them - it was so artistic lol.

Another great battle was of course The White Forest Strider attack - I tried it again on my lag free computer - it was really cool this time around!

Who agrees with me with the white forest? Raise your hand!

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
The Volga River crossing and the Stalingrad battle that followed from Call of Duty and the Omaha Beach level from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Both of these were amazing.

I also think the Hell Knights from Doom 3 deserve recognision. Sure, they didn't provide the most 'epic' battles in a game, but I loved fighting them, and I love their first appearence and how it plays out. The creatures themselves are pretty 'epic' though, IMO.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder Biggest_Loser, I want to mention the White Forest finale battle from Episode 2.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

KOTOR the battle against malak. extering all my dark force powers to the final last drop until one of us met death. one of my favortie moments ever

gameplaya4lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameplaya4lyf
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts

KOTOR the battle against malak. extering all my dark force powers to the final last drop until one of us met death. one of my favortie moments ever

gamerguy845

KOTOR SPOILER*

Yeah it took me like 4 hours, cuz I really didnt level in a proper manner, so i pretty much ran in a circle, killed all the people he gets his life back from, then just started hitting him with concussion grenades then thermal detonators, man that battle was fun.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I would have to say in TF2 on a 32 player server on 2fort or a map similar to that with both teams fighting for the winning capture and both teams' intelligence were sitting in the middle of the bridge.

Either that or killing some serious dragons in the temple of veeshan in everquest. Either Temple of Veeshan or Sleeper's Tomb...

Oh...I just remembered the Ring War from Everquest!! That game was deep and had some serious battles but the Ring War was the ultimate in epic battles. It's a scripted event where a TON of giants attack a dwarf city and you have to defend it for this 10th ring in a 10 or 11 part quest that has +10 to all stats or something like that. It seriously takes like three hours from beginning to end.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguy845"]

gameplaya4lyf

KOTOR SPOILER*

Yeah it took me like 4 hours, cuz I really didnt level in a proper manner, so i pretty much ran in a circle, killed all the people he gets his life back from, then just started hitting him with concussion grenades then thermal detonators, man that battle was fun.

Huh? I beated him in 5 minutes on hard

mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

watching mafia's ending.

does this counted?

deathseeker41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deathseeker41
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts
Probably the CoD2 Stalingrad bombing mission, it gave me shivers.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
4 vs 4 (both good teams) in Company of heroes on a huge custom map
RealDuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 RealDuffi
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
A city raiding siege in a pirate MMOPRG. It was a newly created server, and our guild helped in the sieging of the city. It started in the evening, and stopped 7 hours later. The battles were intense, and I still have a folder with over 100+ pictures of the siege.
gameplaya4lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameplaya4lyf
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts
[QUOTE="gameplaya4lyf"][QUOTE="gamerguy845"]

Darth_Kane

KOTOR SPOILER*

Huh? I beated him in 5 minutes on hard

I really screwed the leveling up and until I tried that strategy, my guy was just not strong enough and I didnt givemy the ability to heal, and only had like 2 regular medpacs, (I guess it only took me like on and a half hours of trying now that i think about it)

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I don't know if this is what you mean, but it has to be SupCom,

no other game that I know of lets you have 40 bombers while having an enormous land army. On the other hand there are sheild generators for defense. That game is crazy at times. It also doesn't allow you to decimate the enemy with just one unit type. you need to take out air defenses with ground troops and bomb the enemy or the other way around. Also there are awesome experimental units to play with.

I haven't even gotten forged alliance, but I might soon.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
When I was playing crysis. This is on hard difficulty so the koreans with nano suits and mini-guns are frekin hard to kill! Anyway I got done killing several and they bring a heli in so I cloke and hide behind a train. I shoot the heli hit it once. It comes charging at me. So I recloke and I'm sitting there as it circles. Up the side of the train come 4 soldiers and a nano-suit guy. I'm like OHH crap. I kill the heli they kill me I kill them the heli kills me. I take my chances I shoot the helicopter. It falls to the ground landing on top of the soldiers killing all of them instantly!! THAT WAS EPIC!! (thats what I pretty much yelled!!)
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

White Forest Strider Attack

CoH- Defend Carentan

Battlefield 2- Had 2 squads on each side of the street letting each other have it, then we got a tank=ftw

...Crysis/Bioshock Demo Blew me away

Far Cry-First time getting above ground and shooting those pigs in the pen :D

M2TW-First Multiplayer Battle

I think that's good

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts

Another great battle was of course The White Forest Strider attack - I tried it again on my lag free computer - it was really cool this time around!

Who agrees with me with the white forest? Raise your hand!

biggest_loser

*Raises hand*

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts
an evenly matched game of AoE II: TC
GiveMeIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GiveMeIce
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts

Am I the only one that still thinks that MoHAA's Normandy beach level (aka rip off of Saving Private Ryan) is the most intense level in any game ever created? It blew me away at that time. Sigh, I miss quality MoH-games.

That and FF10 is quite "epic", I guess.

artur79

Man, when I seen this topic that was the first thing that poped into my mind, I thought I was going to be the only one that would think that. When the game first came out I was a big fan of Saving Private Ryan, and I was expecting it to happen right at the begining, I was let down when I saw that it wasnt the case. After the dreadful second level and the sound of ocean and the U-boats fading in, I must of jumped up and clicked my heels :D

filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
For me it was crysis on the level where we storm the korean beach.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
Probably the Ugh-Zan boss fight in Serious Sam: The First Encounter. Nothing like fighting a thousand feet-tall minotaur-wizard-general all by yourself, all the while having hundreds of bio-mechanoids and lava golems and werebulls and all kinds of crazy crap flying your way while you wield miniguns, rocket launchers, double-barreled shotguns, tommyguns, cannonball cannons, laser cannons...
Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts

a 3 hour battle of TF2 on cp_orange_x finally erupting in us winning.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

watching mafia's ending.

does this counted?

mac631

IDK but indeed was epic, when Mafia ended I was like WTF? Truly one of the best games ever made.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

Every mafia shootout

The last level of Hitman 2

Many of the levels from Fahrenheit

The Tokyo level in Kane and Lynch

Max Payne's Last levels

Call of Duty 1 (every mission :P)

and Crysis, the invasion to the Koreans Beach.

Damn! I forgot, indeed the most epic experience I had was in the Normandy level in MoHAA, it was so cinematic...

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jimhogg
Member since 2004 • 747 Posts
the sacrifice part in oblivion.
jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jimhogg
Member since 2004 • 747 Posts
sniper level in cod4
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

OH I TOTALLY AGREE TC!

The first time my guild beat Ragnarous was at 3am, after like 3 weeks or more of wiping. We are like half asleep. However, at this point -- the entire guild has had all the hardcore late-nighters rotated in. When we killed him, the rush of adreneline was just.... WOW.

Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
I have to agree with the White Forest Strider bit, but I loved the part in Episode 2 where your ambushed at that house, and you have to fight hunters indoors. I loved that.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
The Shagohod series of boss battles in MGS3 and the chase sequence after and pretty much anything after that to the final boss fight. Oh and every boss battle in BG2:ToB with the Ascention mod.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I have played lots of games, and seen lots of battles, but the biggest battles were fought in the game Planetside. It was the first mmofps, and some of the battles were enormous in the early days when lots of people played that game.

Also, I played the 3 day trial of Tabula Rasa, and I have to admit that defending bases can get pretty insane.

darkminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkminus
Member since 2003 • 5912 Posts

I'd have to say in Call of Duty when playing as the Russians. When your on the boat crossing the river and then you land and storm the city. It was just amazing.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
I'm going to say MGS3, Snake vs. The Boss. That fight was just awesome and emotional.
DarCowAlways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 DarCowAlways
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts

You said only one, but I have a couple I have to mention:

The 'Crew Expendable' mission is CoD4. Anyone who's seen it should feel the same way. The ending really had my heart pounding :P

In Final Fantasy VII- too many epic battles/moments to count

Echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 Echo13791
Member since 2004 • 5029 Posts
some wow raids were pretty intense, but I must say that playing Battlefield 2 for the first time was pretty insane. I was totally blown away at the huge fights and air vehicles over head
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

1- In Dark Queen of Krynn, when you think you have completed the mission...and suddenly 24 massive dragons come in to destroy you and everyone around just freaking panic. :) (SOLO control of 6 PC and many NPCs)

2- Recluse Strike Force, final battle without any nuke...taking Numina down (the rezer) while 7 other power monger are trashing your group...EPIC :) With the nukes, the battle is still a LOT of fun, but less epic...and accessible to everyone. (GROUP of 8)

3- Drizzt & his group...first time nobody rush Cattie-Brie, and well...that is what you need to do, she outdamage anyone else but she died fast...reload and correct mistake...then Wulfgar...then Drizzt himself...Bruenor is the last to fall usually...Regis and the panther are more cute than anything else in such a fight. (SOLO control of a party)

4- Duo in Tactics getting tons of stuff and dropping nasty Overlord Diaku & much more...back in EQ early 2003, beat any raid I ever experience in epicness. :) They nerfs chanters soon after! LOL, something is fun and epic, let's remove it from the game. I mean, we can't let players have FUN and accomplish anything. :P (DUO...it is my fondness memory of EQ)

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
I really cant disagree more with Ragnaros being an epic fight. In fact, all of Molten Core was rather lame. I didnt even learn what the bosses names were or what they did until about 4 or 5 runs in. I guess thats was mostly because i was a Priest and i didnt care what the bosses did, just when i saw HP go down i bring it up. Ragnaros wasnt any different, nor did it feel any different than any of the other bosses. I dunno what epic about that.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

vfibsux

This. WoW raids are snorefests compared to this.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OoSuperMarioO
I really cant disagree more with Ragnaros being an epic fight. In fact, all of Molten Core was rather lame. I didnt even learn what the bosses names were or what they did until about 4 or 5 runs in. I guess thats was mostly because i was a Priest and i didnt care what the bosses did, just when i saw HP go down i bring it up. Ragnaros wasnt any different, nor did it feel any different than any of the other bosses. I dunno what epic about that.XaosII
Well this was around when MC was still fairly new. MC was rather difficult compare to present time. I also pity that you rolled a healer to only comment impersonating depression. Likewise it's only opinion.
edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts

Battlefield 2 battle i had was pretty immense.

Medieval 2 total war battles are pretty damn good too.

Chadcicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chadcicle
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts
There are a number of Rome: Total War battles that I have had and I just can't choose one.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

Last mission of Supreme Commander for the UEF.

*Spoilers*

I remember i had around 100 T3 fighters in partrol over Black Sun, constantly shooting down the Czars coming in. Not to mention 3 monkeylords approaching the base from the north each with around 20 siege bots as escorts. finally i got the word that Black Sun was complete and the count-down began. By the time Black Sun's power was at 100%, i heard Cpt. Aiko yell "Fire!" and i hit the button...sweet victory.

*end spoilers*

the final battle at Sarajevo in Command and Conquer comes in a close second

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Well this was around when MC was still fairly new. MC was rather difficult compare to present time. I also pity that you rolled a healer to only comment impersonating depression. Likewise it's only opinion. OoSuperMarioO

Yeah, i've done it when it was still new and hard. I've been a WoW week 1 player. I still play and my main character is sitll my Priest.

Raids, in general, as a healer, are pretty boring. Even to this day they all follow a fairly similar pattern. Either everyone gets dealt a moderate amount of damage, or two or 3 people get dealt alot of damage. You focus mostly on those two or three, or heal everyone up from the special attack.

Occasionally, bosses have some nonseniscal little dance you have to do, thats really only distracting as a healer because for some odd reason someone always get hurts but you have to run around and cant heal the guy. Sometimes, its backwards. The guy runs around and you cant heal him.

PvP healing - now THAT's fun. Anyone and everyone can become a target and you're not continously healing the same MT over and over again. Plus, your efforts are directly reworded for the contribution you made. Holding the enemy back, even when you lose, still meant you denied the enemy points or slowed them down making your team more likely to win. In raids, wiping at 5%? Reset back to 100%. Awesome. Not one single person is responsbile for that success or failure means that invididual effort really doesnt amount to anything more than picking up slack for someone else rather than making a notable contribution to the success or failure.

And yes, it really is all opinion. You might find PvP boring, which is totally fine. Im just syaing my opinion that healing in raids is boring. You dont even spend most of the time looking at bosses when healing.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

World of Warcraft, inside Naxxramas, being ported in a room full of tentacles and oozes advancing towards me and having to run back to a safe spot in a few seconds and then do the Heigan dance, and then heal and remove dots, and get ported again...

Thaddius would be my second favourite. Good times...

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]Well this was around when MC was still fairly new. MC was rather difficult compare to present time. I also pity that you rolled a healer to only comment impersonating depression. Likewise it's only opinion. XaosII

Yeah, i've done it when it was still new and hard. I've been a WoW week 1 player. I still play and my main character is sitll my Priest.

Raids, in general, as a healer, are pretty boring. Even to this day they all follow a fairly similar pattern. Either everyone gets dealt a moderate amount of damage, or two or 3 people get dealt alot of damage. You focus mostly on those two or three, or heal everyone up from the special attack.

Occasionally, bosses have some nonseniscal little dance you have to do, thats really only distracting as a healer because for some odd reason someone always get hurts but you have to run around and cant heal the guy. Sometimes, its backwards. The guy runs around and you cant heal him.

PvP healing - now THAT's fun. Anyone and everyone can become a target and you're not continously healing the same MT over and over again. Plus, your efforts are directly reworded for the contribution you made. Holding the enemy back, even when you lose, still meant you denied the enemy points or slowed them down making your team more likely to win. In raids, wiping at 5%? Reset back to 100%. Awesome. Not one single person is responsbile for that success or failure means that invididual effort really doesnt amount to anything more than picking up slack for someone else rather than making a notable contribution to the success or failure.

And yes, it really is all opinion. You might find PvP boring, which is totally fine. Im just syaing my opinion that healing in raids is boring. You dont even spend most of the time looking at bosses when healing.

While my main isn't a healer I totally understand where you coming from and that's why I pity you. Playing as a warrior I have discovered that PvE is a very satisfying experience. Very intriguing to have that adrenaline pressure to tank a boss especially like Ragnaros at the time of early MC.

I agree that the patterns for bosses are very similar but it's very acceptable for it's simplicity to progress. However the bosses do become more difficult.

As for PvP, well that's my passion. I'm just not into BC PvP compared to pre-BC when grinding for rank 14 Grand Marshal was fun and taskful. Great AV games, classic wsg matches, AB Graveyard camping, Tauren Mill raids, Southshore raids and more. Maybe later on I will get back into PvP like I use too. As of now PvE is my favor of choice.:)

herka2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 herka2231
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Alot of battles in BF2 are really epic.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Nothing is as epic as some of the fights I have had in WWII Online.

Watching 10+ bombers hit a town right before 20+ allied tanks roll into the ruins is the best thing ever.