The most annoying things about PC gaming?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kin-Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Kin-Rai
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

What do you find to be the worst thing about PC gaming?

Be it the game play, the games, or just having to constantly keep buying new hardware because after about a week your PC is out of date.

Yes, I am a PC gamer, who hates all you bitichy pricks who constantly judge and correct what other people are saying! The people who do this suck!

Your just fat little noobs who have nothing better to do than geek out every second your awake! Just shut the hell up and let people say what they want to say without it be criticised!

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Uh, are you a PC gamer yourself? Doesn't seem like it from your comments, and you seem to be absurdly misinformed when it comes to PC hardware and upgrading.

Anyways, I don't really find anything about it particularly annoying. It's a much more enjoyable experience for me than playing my 360.

The biggest problem I have I think would be organization. I'm really bad about keeping my Start menu and Desktop icons tidy. Everything else from driver updates and scheduling spyware/virus scans are so simple they're pretty much a non-issue.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
The most annoying thing is that Xbox ruins PC games...besides that PC gaming is perfect.
mbukste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mbukste
Member since 2004 • 871 Posts
Cosntantly having to upgrade to play any newer games half-decently,even though most of the gamesi like aren't too demanding.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Velocitas8

Cosntantly having to upgrade to play any newer games half-decently,even though most of the gamesi like aren't too demanding.mbukste

I don't wanna turn this into a hardware thread but..

"Constantly upgrading?"

Define "Constant" please. I upgrade every 2 years or so and I never have a problem maxing out every title that comes along.

FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
needing to upgrade once a year just to play the newest games!
JLM4152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JLM4152
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts
The most annoying thing to me are the random driver issues.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

"or just having to constantly keep buying new hardware because after about a week your PC is out of date."

Sure, I guess that would be annoying if were actually true. I upgrade aout every 2-3 years and play all games on high. And a week and your pc is out of date? Ya...go back to system wars please...you are WAY out of your league here bud...

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

There are a couple of things. First there was a time when an game was released and it worked right out of the box without any patches, obviously those days are gone. Second is the fact that developers are now thinking more of console gamers than PC gamers when they develope games.

As far as having to upgrade goes, well... that's not much of a problem since I only upgrade every two or three years.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
For me its just the games, the fact we get them later or not at all on the PC, if we did get them at the same time then it would be a perfect place...sadly consoles get in the way and im considering buying one :cry: but don't worry i wont buy the xbox360 :evil: EVER.
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts
Having to read threads like this. :)
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
For me its just the games, the fact we get them later or not at all on the PC, if we did get them at the same time then it would be a perfect place...sadly consoles get in the way and im considering buying one :cry: but don't worry i wont buy the xbox360 :evil: EVER.gamerchris810
well its the same with consoles they get some games later or never at all. if you want to face that if you definiteky have 2 or more gaing systems
markebici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 markebici
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts

Going to the Nvidia website every week praying for an updated drive so i can run my moniter at its native res.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
my annoyance would be so many of good pc devs like irrational, epic, bioware etc are making console oreinted game .it's not that I blame them for this, but still i am annoyed
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kweeky
It's good that those failures are bailing out. Leaves more room for the developers that want to maximise the most out of the PC's potential (both online and offline). And when the biggest grossing game of all time is a PC Exclusive, you've got to wonder if perhaps Epic and co. are simply just past their prime and incapable of competing any more? ;)
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
The very idea that developers keep putting missions in their games where you lose if you run out of time or have to do something before X does Y, like the Malg'aanis mission in Warcraft III.
chessboxer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 chessboxer1
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts
Has to be keeping up-to-date with the latest hardware. For me I just hate playing a game where the graphics aren't nearly fully maxed out. Feels like I'm not getting the full game otherwise.
mbukste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mbukste

[QUOTE="mbukste"]Cosntantly having to upgrade to play any newer games half-decently,even though most of the gamesi like aren't too demanding.Velocitas8

"Constantly upgrading?"

Define "Constant" please. I upgrade every 2 years or so and I never have a problem maxing out every title that comes along.

Thats because you always buy top-of-the-line hardware every 2 years and play at a fairly low resolution,while most people like me can only afford low-mid end hardware and most of the time they have to be upgraded at least several months if you want high settings in your games.
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kweeky
mbukste, I think you overestimate how many "demanding" games are released each year for the PC - if you look at it carefully, they aren't all that frequent.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
The most annoying thing is that Xbox ruins PC games...besides that PC gaming is perfect.D9-THC
agreed
mbukste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mbukste

mbukste, I think you overestimate how many "demanding" games are released each year for the PC - if you look at it carefully, they aren't all that frequent.kweeky
Games are getting more and more demanding,and from the looks of it,hardware is having a tough time catching up with games,ever heard of THESE games?

STALKER.
Supreme Commander.
Oblivion.
Rainbow Six: Vegas.
World in Conflict.
Crysis.

Even though some of them aren't out yet,they'll be demanding as hell,even a 8800GTX,E6550,2GB RAM @ 1680x1050 has a tough time maxing most of those games at that resolution with AA+AF.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

the most annoying thing about pc gaming? consoles

with greater and greater frequency, pc gaming is becoming the same diluted, intellectually-challenged wasteland as the console market (disclaimer: not all console games are stupid and/or shallow, some of the best games ever made are console games), as more and more games become multisystem releases or even primarily console games, then ported to pc, we have seen the standards gradually decline

now, this problem doesn't exist for anyone else - pc games ported to consoles scale up, bringing the overall console standard of gaming a little higher, or they don't get ported because there's just no audience for it... but pc gamers? no, it's a downward spiral of poopiness

i could list a large number of games where the ability of the developers is not questionable, they could've made great games - or their great games could've been greater - yet many concessions were made for the console market and pc gamers are made to suffer for it, and is there really anything more frustrating?

i can live with the high costs, i can live with going two years without a single game worth playing, i can live with knowing every game i buy is like signing a contract saying this game might randomly not work properly, or at all, until we bother to patch it but i just cannot stand games, good games - great games - being dumbed down for a completely separate audience

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kweeky

First things first, the hardware is FAR beyond the games. The games simply aren't optimised particularly well.

I'm sorry, but nothing in the gaming world even begins to tax a Core 2 Duo (see some of the Oblivion melon stress tests to see my point). Your GPU may strain, but that really is down to poor optimisation of the games.

You've named 5 games. Two are unreleased (2007), two came out this year and one last year. ;)

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

the most annoying thing about pc gaming? consoles

with greater and greater frequency, pc gaming is becoming the same diluted, intellectually-challenged wasteland as the console market (disclaimer: not all console games are stupid and/or shallow, some of the best games ever made are console games), as more and more games become multisystem releases or even primarily console games, then ported to pc, we have seen the standards gradually decline

now, this problem doesn't exist for anyone else - pc games ported to consoles scale up, bringing the overall console standard of gaming a little higher, or they don't get ported because there's just no audience for it... but pc gamers? no, it's a downward spiral of poopiness

i could list a large number of games where the ability of the developers is not questionable, they could've made great games - or their great games could've been greater - yet many concessions were made for the console market and pc gamers are made to suffer for it, and is there really anything more frustrating?

i can live with the high costs, i can live with going two years without a single game worth playing, i can live with knowing every game i buy is like signing a contract saying this game might randomly not work properly, or at all, until we bother to patch it but i just cannot stand games, good games - great games - being dumbed down for a completely separate audience

mfsa

You said exactly what I meant...only you said it with eloquence :)

mbukste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mbukste

First things first, the hardware is FAR beyond the games. The games simply aren't optimised particularly well.

I'm sorry, but nothing in the gaming world even begins to tax a Core 2 Duo (see some of the Oblivion melon stress tests to see my point). Your GPU may strain, but that really is down to poor optimisation of the games.

You've named 5 games. Two are unreleased (2007), two came out this year and one last year. ;)

kweeky
True,but those games are very popular,but i personally don't like poorly optimzied games (Unless its from a game series i love)
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Velocitas8
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="mbukste"]Cosntantly having to upgrade to play any newer games half-decently,even though most of the gamesi like aren't too demanding.mbukste

"Constantly upgrading?"

Thats because you always buy top-of-the-line hardware every 2 years and play at a fairly low resolution,while most people like me can only afford low-mid end hardware and most of the time they have to be upgraded at least several months if you want high settings in your games.

No, I usually buy a step or two below top-of-the-line. I never go for the latest and greatest (absurdly expensive) hardware. I do some research and find the hardware with the best price:performance ratio.

As for resolution, do you consider 1280x1024 a "fairly low resolution?" :|

mbukste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mbukste
[QUOTE="mbukste"][QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="mbukste"]Cosntantly having to upgrade to play any newer games half-decently,even though most of the gamesi like aren't too demanding.Velocitas8

"Constantly upgrading?"

No, I usually buy a step or two below top-of-the-line. I never go for the latest and greatest (absurdly expensive) hardware. I do some research and find the hardware with the best price:performance ratio.

As for resolution, do you consider 1280x1024 a "fairly low resolution?" :|

I thought you might have played @ 1024x768 or even 800x600 lol my bad,but i still find it hard to believe that you can max out all the games you play with 2 years,unless you avoid games like SupCom,Oblivion,RS:V,etc and stick to much better optimzied games.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I really hate buying new hardware every week. I always need the newest stuff.:|
shamuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shamuk
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts
Like many of you I am sick of the consolisation of PC games. I'm not really looking forward to Crysis, but they've got serious grapes to make it a PC exclusive when so many other companies are taking the console gravy train to the magical land of sellouts. I really don't like companies that forget their roots. I especially don't like companies that forget their roots and claim they haven't. Words without actions to back them up are worthless.
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Uh, are you a PC gamer yourself? Doesn't seem like it from your comments, and you seem to be absurdly misinformed when it comes to PC hardware and upgrading.

Anyways, I don't really find anything about it particularly annoying. It's a much more enjoyable experience for me than playing my 360.

The biggest problem I have I think would be organization. I'm really bad about keeping my Start menu and Desktop icons tidy. Everything else from driver updates and scheduling spyware/virus scans are so simple they're pretty much a non-issue.

Velocitas8

yeah, op. you obviously arent a real pc gamer, you don't know what you are talking about. Computer gameplay is MUCH better then most console game. Controls are cheaper and more precise, you can play many more games then consoles, old or new. You can download free games. You can chat to friends with free software. You don't need to buy a computer and a console. The only thing that consoles have over computers, is the fact that you can play split screen.

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

Yep. PC gaming is by far the most sophisticated and enjoyable experience in my opinion. I think everyone herewho isn't having hardware upgrading woes will agree that the worst thing about PC gaming is the way developers are catering to consoles.

BioShock for example. It could have been a lot better if it wasn't aimed at the console audience. There are a lot of things PC's can do that consoles inherantly can't.

I have to tip my hat to Crytek for passing up the consoles and making a game that truly takes advantage of what a PC exlusive can be. The Crytek guy from the interview (forget his name and position in the company) stated up-front that consoles simply don't have the hardware necessary to run such an immense game like Crysis. The enviroments in the game would be half the size or less if they were aiming to cater to the lack of memory in a console.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Paying 40-50 bucks for a game that should still be in beta or poorly optimized games. About it really.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

The most annoying thing by far is that I never know if a game is going to work properly, even if my system is waaaay above the recommended system requirements.

And to those giving the guy a hard time for saying a weekly upgrade is necessary, haven't you ever heard of gross exaggeration before?

doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Yep. PC gaming is by far the most sophisticated and enjoyable experience in my opinion. I think everyone herewho isn't having hardware upgrading woes will agree that the worst thing about PC gaming is the way developers are catering to consoles.

BioShock for example. It could have been a lot better if it wasn't aimed at the console audience. There are a lot of things PC's can do that consoles inherantly can't.

I have to tip my hat to Crytek for passing up the consoles and making a game that truly takes advantage of what a PC exlusive can be. The Crytek guy from the interview (forget his name and position in the company) stated up-front that consoles simply don't have the hardware necessary to run such an immense game like Crysis. The enviroments in the game would be half the size or less if they were aiming to cater to the lack of memory in a console.

SentientGames

nailed it.

and to people who are complaining about upgrading their computers all the time, shouldn't. I haven't upgraded my computer in a year, and mine really wasn't that fast when I got it.

Being able to upgrade your computer is a good thing! Having trouble maxing out Bioshock? Add another gig of RAM for $75 or w/e. Its a good thing you don't have to buy a completely new system.

Kin-Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kin-Rai
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
WHy are you all complaining about what other people are posting you bitochy mother fudgers! Just shutup and concentrate on what you think! FFS!
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

WHy are you all complaining about what other people are posting you bitochy mother fudgers! Just shutup and concentrate on what you think! FFS!Kin-Rai

*irony* you are complaining about them complaining :P

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

Yes, I am a PC gamer, who hates all you bitichy pricks who constantly judge and correct what other people are saying! The people who do this suck!

Your just fat little noobs who have nothing better to do than geek out every second your awake! Just shut the hell up and let people say what they want to say without it be criticised!

Kin-Rai
WTF dude, did you forget to take your medication or something?
ChaseDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChaseDR
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts

I think the only disadvantage of PC gaming is upgrading, not really about the price, but the hassles involved.

I feel the price of upgrading is pretty much offset by the price of games. Console games are usually priced 10 dollars higher than PCs and if if you buy games frequently, say once a month, you pretty much spent $120 less than console gamers with the same frequency of purchase on yearly basis.

For the mid-range users like myself, I'm looking at a 2 years max timeframe for my gpu upgrade. Mid-range cards are cheap, for the 2 years interval, I would have more than enough savings from softwares for a better card and probably other essentials. So if you look at it this way, if you decides to game in the first place, your expenditure will solely be on the PC itself, which you would need as a workstation anyway.

The disadvantage is you won't be able to maxed out graphic of the latest games, and probably couldn't even run some. But gaming later isn't necessary bad, for the good multiplayer games for the PC would usually have a darn long lifespan, so you aren't missing out on a whole lot even if you chose to wait.

The hassle of maintaining the system is the only real hassle imo.

TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

Velocitas8

What he said

carcina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 carcina
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts

i hate sh1ty ports from ps3 and xbox to comp and sold to us as normal pc games .

prime example oblivion

ppau08223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ppau08223
Member since 2006 • 705 Posts

my biggest gripe? having to deal with this bias that pc gaming is not real gaming. just take a look at the reporets that come out they always deal with consoles and just leave out pcs.

also the port thing is really worrying me. it seems alot of games are console ports rather than proper pc oriented games.

another thing is piracy. is there away to stop it? it is really the bane of pc gaming.

onuruca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 onuruca
Member since 2007 • 2881 Posts
The most annoying thing is that Xbox ruins PC games...besides that PC gaming is perfect.D9-THC
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#43 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts

Paying 40-50 bucks for a game that should still be in beta or poorly optimized games. About it really.MythPro1

Developers can't work on something forever, and some people would moan and groan about every-single-little-insignificant-thing.

ppau08223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ppau08223

my biggest gripe? having to deal with this bias that pc gaming is not real gaming. just take a look at the reporets that come out they always deal with consoles and just leave out pcs.

also the port thing is really worrying me. it seems alot of games are console ports rather than proper pc oriented games.

another thing is piracy. is there away to stop it? it is really the bane of pc gaming.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts
Body desapearing, and some games are too short:!
ppau08223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ppau08223

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts

ppau08223
I agree completely with this one.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

1. The increasingly ridiculous steps I have to go through to verify that my game is legit and not pirated. Nevermind that cracks hit the net before the games are usually on store shelves.

2. The neverending stream of patches. Seriously, there are games that are still being patched years later.

3. Poor ports of mediocre console games. If I want to play Halo I'll buy an Xbox.

prolink47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 prolink47
Member since 2004 • 467 Posts

What do you find to be the worst thing about PC gaming?

Be it the game play, the games, or just having to constantly keep buying new hardware because after about a week your PC is out of date.

Kin-Rai

i dont even need to say anything everyone here is owning u i think ill go make some popcorn and watch the beating

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

1. The increasingly ridiculous steps I have to go through to verify that my game is legit and not pirated. Nevermind that cracks hit the net before the games are usually on store shelves.fenriz275

Absolutely 100% agree, that's my biggest complaint with PC gaming right now. It's turning into a rental/service type model (Steam, Bioshock DRM, etc) and it's feeling less like you purchased a game that you can "keep".

You buy a console game, it's yours. You can share it with friends/family, trade it, sell it, etc. You can install/play it whenever, where ever you want (you are not required to pay for an internet connection for eternity to access your games or ask for "permission" from a server).

That's what is almost killing it for me, but I still love PC gaming. Minor complaint is it would be nice to see greater genre variety. Other than that, rock on baby! :D