The MMO monthly fee: Is it in your head?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

A lot of people seem anti-monthly fee for MMO's these days and I was curious here of a few things.

Now if you just don't enjoy MMO's enough to play everyday then this makes sense. If you do enjoy the genre and would play that MMO as your go-to game but shy away due to a sub, that does not make sense to me, and the math is why. This is also assuming of course you can afford it and would be buying games throughout the year anyway.

Looking at the math I put down how much it costs to play an MMO for 1 year including the intitial purchase. I also threw in buying two random high priced games during that time. I put that up against buying six new PC games at the typical max price throughout the year. Coincidently they came out to the same price. No I did not mean for that to happen lol. 

This is assuming you would be enjoying the MMO enough to not want to purchase the extra 4 games that year. The MMO should be consuming the majority of your gaming hours or it is just not worth it. 

1. MMO you play regularly for 1 year

$60 initial

$15 per month= $180

2 other random game purchases averaging $60=$120

Total for the year $360

2. Buying 6 new games in one year $360

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Some MMOs (well WoW) can pull off the subscription based model because they are such high quality and always get updates. If a game is great then I am willing to pay for it monthly, its barely even any money to pay in comparison to all the hours of game time you will have.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I'm pro monthly fee for true MMOs (in an open world), games with fees don't separate random bs in in game stores, as for buying games instead of paying just for one, don't have a problem with that, I buy lots of games every year, my problem is not playing them, since I spend every free second I have on World of Tanks, that has an optional subscription that I take advantage of, I liked it so much I already spent in an year more than I spent in 5 on WoW, subs, premium tanks (that most would consider outrageous, to buy 40-50 *broken euro sign* digital tanks), customization, various slots, I never though I'd love a game so much and be stuck on it for thousands of hours and more thousands to come, not even WoW was this addictive.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23917 Posts

The main investment on mmos is NOT the monetary investment but rather the time investment, 15 dollars a month is a steal for a premium mmo service with potentially dozens of hours of entertainment per month.

I will gladly pay 15 dollars a month for a good mmo, but the only mmo though that I seem to find worth my time is EVE and that game is too time consuming for my current schedule.

Of course, a monthly fee does not magically make a game better or make me play it more, I thought I would spend around 3 months in WoW so I bought a 3 month subscription. Yet I couldnt force myself through that piece of shallow crap past 2 weeks.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
What's the point of this. You used noob math to make your point. At least use some calculus or gtfo.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The only way I would pay a monthly fee for a game is if the game would give me more fun/being more addictive than Diablo II Lord Of Destruction.

So far I didn't found that game in over 20 years of gaming. So I don't pay monthly fees in games.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.MBirdy88

I found Oblivion and Skyrim far more enjoyable that my -small- time with WoW, and to me WvWvW in GW2 is better than any content from WoW. I found that after a while the PvE parts from GW2/WoW are almost equally lame -aka: boring- to me, due are focused in to grinding -korean style-, so I only touch those PvE contents to found my competitive WvWvW spents.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

No, it's on my charge bill.

Dumb thread is dumb.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Some MMO's are worth the money and time. I just haven't really had enough of either to justify spending more money on an MMO I don't have time to play. And that 120 dollars can go a LOOOOONG way during a Steam sale ;)
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

However somebody wants to get their X hours of entertainment is fine by me. I'd rather buy 6 new games and get 40 hours of entertinament out of each, some people would rather buy 1 MMO and get the same amount of entertianment out of it, more power to them.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.

To each their own. I can say that GW2 isn't exactly better than WoW or rift at this point, but it is getting there.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
I dont like to pay to play constantly. Some people dont mind , people that earn 12-15euros just in one hour ... There are countries out there where have 200-300euros MONTHLY salary in total. So depends your country , your job/salary etc .. it really depends how you see it. Now generally i dont like to pay every month. I just dont. I love games like GW2 or LoL that provide the full experience to players with Buy 2 play or just free 2 play model. For example , i think i would be playing World of warcraft still if it was Buy to play and not Pay 2 play. Now ive just unistalled it since i got bored with it and i didnt want to spend 15euros for it. it really depends. I dont blame people that like p2p but i cant blame people that dont like it either. But its proven , B2P or F2P games that are REALLY GOOD games , making way more $$ that some of the "biggest" MMORPGS out there with very few exceptions ( like WoW ).
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#14 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
The best models are LOTRO and Planetside2. Free to play, subscriptions are optional but help, subscriptions can be bought per month, or in blocks. I really liked LOTRO's original lifetime subscriber model.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I have yet to play an MMO that actually was worth the $15 a month price tag, WOW included.  I mean it was a good game, and fun. But $15 a month is too high to charge, (server maintenence is easily more than covered, along with corporate greed too)

Time is a major factor in this for me.  Now-a-days, I don't have a bunch of time to dump into a single game for a year, or two at a time. (especially for $15 a month)

Too many interesting games, and too much of other stuff takes up time. 

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Why would I pay for server fees when I don't get admin rights or the ability to modify the server .ini files or make my own custom maps? Rip off!
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
You have to think about the general time to money ratio though, and for one month of subscription, you will likely get several dozen hours, for only 15 bucks
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I dont mind at all...I like supporting the companies that support my games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad

Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.MBirdy88

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Trion Worlds kinda drop the ball with Storm Legion, I have heard nothing but hate for the game ever since.

Also, someone thinking that GW2>WoW or RIFT does not make them an idiot, and this is coming from someone who is highly critical of GW2 and if I were to return to a themepark it would be WoW. Could be that GW2 just fits into their tastes better.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.Maroxad

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Trion Worlds kinda drop the ball with Storm Legion, I have heard nothing but hate for the game ever since.

You're very wrong. Most players love Storm Legion and it's a massive amout of content. Of course you have some nerd rage but you're going to get that no matter what.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

If the MMO in question demands a monthly fee then it should offer a free trial and a means to upgrade it into a subscriber account. Paying $50 for a boxed MMO and then having to pay monthly on top of it is stupid.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.BSC14

You're very wrong. Most players love Storm Legion and it's a massive amout of content. Of course you have some nerd rage but you're going to get that no matter what.

Good to hear. I have seen nothing but cynicism though.

But if what you say is true, then I say that RIFT would be the themepark I would return to.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I don't mind subscriptions. 

People need to learn that a condition that you require when you subscribe to a game is constant support and content releases. Very few MMOs get that part right. They'll do these tiny little events here and there that don't do much. 

When I mean content, I mean new quests, gear, loot, end game, dunegons, or content specific to the game that increases the amount to play.

If there is a new patch every 2-3 months that don't really add anything to the game, then the subscription isn't justified. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
all you've shown me is that i could buy two high budget titles at launch with the money from sub fees. even more games if you don't buy at launch. so why would i want to keep paying? why are MMOs the only ones that get away with it?
ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

I never think about it because I know how to spend my money lol

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad

all you've shown me is that i could buy two high budget titles at launch with the money from sub fees. even more games if you don't buy at launch. so why would i want to keep paying? why are MMOs the only ones that get away with it?BrunoBRS

Because some people actually want good post launch support for their mmos.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I look at MMO subscriptions from a comparative perspective.  And then literally laugh my ass off at people who say they are too expensive.

I look at the fact that the last time me, 3 of my friends, my sister, and two of her friends all went to see a movie together on a Friday night.  With 7 ticks (after 4pm on a date night), 2 large popcorns, and 7 small drinks (I offered to pay for it all); $70 for the tickets, $30 for the drinks, $20 for the popcorn... $120.

That's 8 months of an MMO subscription.  For one, 1 hour 40 minute movie with friends.

The last time I went on vacation I spent more money on a 30 minute helicopter ride than I have on all MMOs I have ever subscribed to in my entire life (and I have been subscribed to MMOs 100% uptime since about 2008), and I have even been subscribed to multiple MMOs at once on occasion.

5+ years of thousands of hours worth of entertainment for LESS money than a 30 minute helicopter ride on vacation.  To argue that MMO subscriptions are prohibitively expensive is quite literally the most laughable argument in video gaming.  Almost as bad as the people who say the same about $40 a year for Xbox Live.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I don't mind paying each month if I think the game is worth it (yeah, I know, that's highly subjective).  One benefit of subscription models is that they tend to keep the riffraff to a minimum and in a MMORPG, that alone is usually worth my $15.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
the very few mmo's i've played i didn't pay much into the subs. they all come with a free month which i'm usually burnt out on it after that anyway. and then, down the line, if i feel like paying some more i purchased another month or two
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I look at MMO subscriptions from a comparative perspective.  And then literally laugh my ass off at people who say they are too expensive.

I look at the fact that the last time me, 3 of my friends, my sister, and two of her friends all went to see a movie together on a Friday night.  With 7 ticks (after 4pm on a date night), 2 large popcorns, and 7 small drinks (I offered to pay for it all); $70 for the tickets, $30 for the drinks, $20 for the popcorn... $120.

Squeets

this is a good point... and not just about mmo's. i remember when i was living at home my mom was baffled about how many games i owned and that they cost 60 dollars new. i tried to explain that the price is not unreasonable... a movie ticket costs what? 8-10 dollars? for 2 hours of entertainment, most times less. pretty much every game has at least a good 20 hours or more of entertainment in it. then take into account the type of games i usually play i spend usually more than 100 hours playing and then multiplayer games even more than that. 

but she's a stupid old **** and didn't understand >_>

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#32 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Personally me

I do not support MMO'S that require you buy the game then a sub. That is just nonsense  and no one should support 

I also DO not support MMO's that require a sub That sells expansion packs.  This is complete fraud in my opinion because, that sub should get you that content  ~ this is the reason why i won't even attemt to play WOW

I only support mmos who only sells the game for one price with no subs. 100% fine if they sell expansion packs

or

mmos that only have a sub to play the game but offer content included in that sub with no expansion packs

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
What I want to know is, if some developers are willing to go free to play, why aren't some willing to lower the monthly fee to say... $7.50? It's always $15 or F2P. Never the mid ground. And think MMO players are so used to seeing the $15 amount.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.AmazonTreeBoa

You spend all of that money on a gaming PC but are too cheap to spend $15 a month for a game that releases monthly content?

You're not just paying $15 a month to play the game, you're paying $15 a month for continual development and support. If an MMO doesn't provide this and has a fee, it doesn't stay pay to play for long. However if the devs can deliever on constant updates and new content, $15 a month is completely reasonable. 

hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

The big problem is not really the monthly fee to my eyes. It's that we pay for things we don't really own. Without the servers, the game we gotta pay around 60$ is useless... I also have no control on when the servers are available or taken down (which means the games itself get useless). I should pay for the game if there's no subscriptions and they can garranty me that the servers will have no major problems or at least won't shut them down for at least X number of time (else I can get a refund). Or, I don't mind paying a subscriptions for a game that I shouldn't have to pay (like when you rent a movie).

To my eyes those solutions makes more sense. They are not ideal and there's probably something else that could works better for both side. I feel sometimes like we have no protection for what we pay for.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#36 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Not a problem at all. More like a slight inconvenience more than anything, as I'd lose access to the content if I cease the $15 sub fee to something I want to play periodically around a specific schedule.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

If I don't have a fee (like gw2), then i dont feel guilty if I'm not playing for a month or something. Then I can comeback, no worrying about suspending my account or anything

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#38 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

What I want to know is, if some developers are willing to go free to play, why aren't some willing to lower the monthly fee to say... $7.50? It's always $15 or F2P. Never the mid ground. And think MMO players are so used to seeing the $15 amount. Elann2008
It's just the mode of getting people in the game. If players ceased a $7.50 subscription, people will still lose access to the content in the same way if it were a $15 sub, or a $2 sub; of course any higher than the universal $15 will be scrutinized by the $15 standard and delivery of its service. I bet if a game lowered their sub free, the game will still retain about an equal amount of subscribers, which may prove that $ isnt the core issue of subscription; it's access.

By transitioning to a free-to-play model, the game commits itself to a more 'open-door' access to content that is readily available to new players that dont want to commit temporary access to content, and in the same stroke, provide immediate access to those who had once ceased their subscription to try get players back.

Edit: All this talk of sub makes me want a subway sandwich :C

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

MMORPG's only stop a minority of people from ignoring every other game on the planet. Meaning that you can take those monthly fee costs and then add them on-top of other game purchases. Imagine a day when 90% of MMORPGs aren't hackneyed copy-cats of eachother - you might actually want to play more than one. Things might get even more expensive then. I know maintaining my WW2 Online and WoW subscriptions simultaneously ate into my wallet more than I would have liked.

I'd like to think that there's a point where developers figure out how to use microtransactions in a way where everybody wins. It would take a combination of these things....

1) The micotransactions can't effect gameplay in any shape or form
2) The micotransaction-related paraphernalia must appeal to enthusiasts (aesthetic customization is the easy way to go)
3) Players who don't wish to be involved with the microtransactions must already have diverse aesthetic customization options

That would be enough to keep the game supported and maintained - from then on content updates could be sold for $20 or whatever.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

It's a matter of perspective. $15/month is another bill to add on top of all your other spending. Being able to go spend money on something new often creates a sense of satisfaction over paying a bill in itself.

Having said that $15 per month really is pocket change. People who don't do so are either on principle or don't have access to a payment system (no credit card).

Personally I don't like MMO's. Also I think it's absurd to pay $60 for PC games and have been intentionally waiting on price drops since $60 became the norm.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I'm a frugal guy so if I spend money on something - I'm going to get my money's worth. And that's the problem with MMOs and me. I've been on again off again with WoW too many times to count. I find myself mostly subbing again when I was off from school during the summers and had more free time. I then took every ounce of free time I had and placed it into WoW. Once school started up again, I didn't have time for the MMO so I quit.

Now with a full-time job, I don't have the time to get my money's worth and I doubt I'll ever play a subscription-based game due to this reason.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]What I want to know is, if some developers are willing to go free to play, why aren't some willing to lower the monthly fee to say... $7.50? It's always $15 or F2P. Never the mid ground. And think MMO players are so used to seeing the $15 amount. illmatic87

It's just the mode of getting people in the game. If players ceased a $7.50 subscription, people will still lose access to the content in the same way if it were a $15 sub, or a $2 sub; of course any higher than the universal $15 will be scrutinized by the $15 standard and delivery of its service. I bet if a game lowered their sub free, the game will still retain about an equal amount of subscribers, which may prove that $ isnt the core issue of subscription; it's access.

By transitioning to a free-to-play model, the game commits itself to a more 'open-door' access to content that is readily available to new players that dont want to commit temporary access to content, and in the same stroke, provide immediate access to those who had once ceased their subscription to try get players back.

Edit: All this talk of sub makes me want a subway sandwich :C

Dude, I'm starving and I've been eyeing the subway on the way from my house for the past 3 days lol. Thanks for replying to my question. What you said makes perfect sense. I guess the experts in the MMO scene already discussed to no-end. My other question is: When are MMO's going to be badass again? I hate to bring up World of Warcraft in its vanilla days. Those were great times. I feel like MMOs F2P or Sub. have been on the decline. Maybe it's just me and I'm getting old haha.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.Wasdie

You spend all of that money on a gaming PC but are too cheap to spend $15 a month for a game that releases monthly content?

You're not just paying $15 a month to play the game, you're paying $15 a month for continual development and support. If an MMO doesn't provide this and has a fee, it doesn't stay pay to play for long. However if the devs can deliever on constant updates and new content, $15 a month is completely reasonable. 

you have to be kidding me. do you honestly believe that the people don't do it because they're cheap? that's like saying "hey you got money for a fancy car, mind paying me dinner?"
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.BrunoBRS

you have to be kidding me. do you honestly believe that the people don't do it because they're cheap? that's like saying "hey you got money for a fancy car, mind paying me dinner?"

Not really. The rationale is that you would be playing the game as much, or more, than you would spend on other games that have much less replayability.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.BrunoBRS

Nope, he's saying those people are cheap and close minded, the first being the result of delusions caused by the second, something that a few *cough* around here suffer severely from.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#46 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

No, it's on my charge bill.

Dumb thread is dumb.

maddogmark25

Only an idiot would post a reply answering the question of the original post in the thread then call the thread dumb. Grats, idiot.

As for the majority of the rest of the replies, great discussion and interesting to hear different reasons why people do or do not support p2p models. 

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#47 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
The problem with MMO that are P2P is (for me) that in my mind I am forced to play them all the time for give a value to those $15, thus I become an addict to said game. That's why I usually avoid those games at all costs.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
I don't really know if I'm the right person to answer this, because I don't usually sub to any games. I admit, I have done that once in my life, with SWTOR, but that was purely, because it is Star Wars. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility of paying a monthly fee again, if the game is good enough. E.g. Elder Scrolls Online (not even knowing what the payment structure is going to be mind) looks like one I might. But yes, I would consider paying that for a good game, not in general though. Quite a few of these MMOs that have fees have nothing going in them to warrant those. That's why I like GW2 for example, because you can just play whenever you feel like it and not to worry about the rolling fees. Does it make difference thinking the maths behing it, no, not really. Only the quality of the game.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
I enjoy GW2 a lot more than WoW, and the fact it doesn't have a subscription fee is a huge bonus. The OP makes the assumption that if not paying for a subscription, we're spending money on other games. I rarely purchase new games, much less for $60, so this doesn't apply to everyone. I also don't care that people who really enjoy GW2 are considered idiots here. I never got into WoW; I've enjoyed GW2 for a couple hundred hours in just the past few months. I'm not going to change that opinion because hardcore MMO enthusiasts have some silly list as to why WoW is 'objectively' better.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I enjoy GW2 a lot more than WoW, and the fact it doesn't have a subscription fee is a huge bonus. The OP makes the assumption that if not paying for a subscription, we're spending money on other games. I rarely purchase new games, much less for $60, so this doesn't apply to everyone. I also don't care that people who really enjoy GW2 are considered idiots here. I never got into WoW; I've enjoyed GW2 for a couple hundred hours in just the past few months. I'm not going to change that opinion because hardcore MMO enthusiasts have some silly list as to why WoW is 'objectively' better.

I can say that I've enjoyed playing GW2 on/off. I have gotten back to it recently and it is a great way to waste time :D I haven't got high level characters yet or anything, but it is by no means a bad game. It looks great and you got tons to do. I wish there were more the same out there. A game that was meant to be a "sub-free one off payment" - type from the beginning. Not turned into one, because of various reasons.