Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

::wipes monocle::

So, we know most reasonable people are waiting until the non-founder's editions hit retail in sufficient numbers to make it easy to ignore the scalpers, and eventually they too shall join the club, but for now, we impatient ones can maybe discuss our new toys?! Share your OC result,s your benchmarks, your issues!

I got my Zoltac GTX 1070 yesterday. Managed to get a stable OC of 2 Ghz on the GPU and 9 Ghz on the RAM.

Only had a chance to test it on Uniengine Heaven, Total War Warhammer, The Witcher 3 and DOOM 2016 so far, but I'm super happy with my results. For reference, my old card (which I sold on Ebay for a bit over $200) was a 780ti. Unfortunately the only game I can (more or less) directly compare performance with on that is Total War Warhammer - the other games I ran at different graphics settings on my 780ti than I am now with the 1070.

I'm running a 2560x1440p monitor and an i5 4690k CPU @4.4Ghz.

So Witcher 3 performance is a solid 70+ FPS. I'm capping to 60 and I only ever saw a momentary drop to 58 FPS in the crowded city market place. That is a big difference from my 780ti because I'm now running with full texture quality, HBAO+ and Hairworks on at a solid 60, while my 780ti ran at lower settings with no hairworks or HBAO at around 35-50 FPS averaging around 45.

Doom likewise was a solid 70+ FPS. Never saw drops below 60 even when it got quite hectic. My 780ti ran at around 50-55 FPS at lower settings, specially AA which I can now set to max 8x Temporal without issue.

Total War: Warhammer frame rates nearly doubled for me, again, with higher shadow and texture settings than my 3GB 780ti could handle. I'm getting around 60 FPS with two armies bringing in full stacks, and only see drops to the high 40's when zoomed all the way in where a big blob of men are fighting (at least 3 or 4 groups mashed together). If the leaked DX12 benchmarks are anything to go by, it's likely that that will keep me at 60+ FPS even in those situations, can't wait!

On Heaven, maxed out 8x AA and 1440p I got an Average FPS of 54 BTW. I don't think my 780ti could even handle 8x AA without downclocking from overheating.

Temps are good too never going past 75 degrees so far. In fact the shroud is better for my particular small form factor build than the custom coolers from the non-reference cards, as the inside of my small case gets very hot.

How's the card treating you guys?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Every place I've been checking is sold out or just selling the founders edition. I'm in Australia, so not really surprised. I'll probably buy one when I get back to Canada.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm waiting for whatever is going to be declared the best 3rd party card. The Founders Edition cards are a joke and the I'm not sensing anything conclusive between any of the aftermarket cards.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Moved to Hardware forum

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I'm waiting for the big brother to be released...

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I have 2 970s so I will wait for the 1080ti or 1170 and get two.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

I'm waiting for my gtx 1080 seahawk Ek by MSI, you guys think that's any good?

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@horgen said:

Same. 1080Ti for me. Then I'll just split the 980Ti's between my wife's and son's computer.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:

Same. 1080Ti for me. Then I'll just split the 980Ti's between my wife's and son's computer.

Will you go for SLI again?

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joseph_mach

@horgen said:
@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:

Will you go for SLI again?

That's a good question and it depends on how pricey they are. The thought of being able to run 1440p @ 144hz+ maxed is pretty tempting. If I do get two though, I'm going to put them on water cooling. Whether they are AiO cooling variants, or I add water blocks to them, I'm going to try and keep them running nice and cool. I've caught my second 980Ti running at a fairly toasty 80-85 degrees C on occasion and I've always wanted to water cool my PC so this may be the generation where I give it a whirl.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@joseph_mach said:

That's a good question and it depends on how pricey they are. The thought of being able to run 1440p @ 144hz+ maxed is pretty tempting. If I do get two though, I'm going to put them on water cooling. Whether they are AiO cooling variants, or I add water blocks to them, I'm going to try and keep them running nice and cool. I've caught my second 980Ti running at a fairly toasty 80-85 degrees C on occasion and I've always wanted to water cool my PC so this may be the generation where I give it a whirl.

Water cooling the GPU will probably lead to temperature below 50C as long as the water temp remains no higher than 35C. My 980Ti runs at 41-42C with a water temp at around 33C. My 680 runs hotter.. But also higher voltage on the core.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joseph_mach

@horgen said:
@joseph_mach said:

Water cooling the GPU will probably lead to temperature below 50C as long as the water temp remains no higher than 35C. My 980Ti runs at 41-42C with a water temp at around 33C. My 680 runs hotter.. But also higher voltage on the core.

Yup. Those are the sort of temps I'm after. I tend to overclock just about every part of my rig, and heat is most certainly a concern of mine. I was thinking about starting with my CPU as it'll be in my rig for quite awhile. I've currently got a Corsair H110 on it (280mm) and it does a might fine job of keeping the CPU cool which is running at 4.8GHz. But I think I'll replace that AiO cooler with a proper water cooling kit and prep my rig for the 1080Ti(s). I'm guessing we won't hear anything on it until late this year, and actually see it early next year. So, that should give me plenty of time to get ready for it. Which probably means SLI. =D

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:
@joseph_mach said:

Yup. Those are the sort of temps I'm after. I tend to overclock just about every part of my rig, and heat is most certainly a concern of mine. I was thinking about starting with my CPU as it'll be in my rig for quite awhile. I've currently got a Corsair H110 on it (280mm) and it does a might fine job of keeping the CPU cool which is running at 4.8GHz. But I think I'll replace that AiO cooler with a proper water cooling kit and prep my rig for the 1080Ti(s). I'm guessing we won't hear anything on it until late this year, and actually see it early next year. So, that should give me plenty of time to get ready for it. Which probably means SLI. =D

Well a GPU under water won't have heat issues... Neither in SLI as well. But rad space is important. And which ones. Do you want to lower noise a lot as well?

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Eh... I went ahead and got the Gigabyte G1 1080. Have been lingering on the Galaxy HoF 780 gtx for some time and when I got the Acer XB271HU I felt it was time to upgrade. Going forward two generations and same tier hasn't been a bad upgrade. Haven't OC'ed it yet as I want a good handle on what it can do right now before I start that process. But really, thing does what I wanted and for that I am pretty happy with my purchase.

This was after playing Doom for awhile @ 1440p and ultra settings.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joseph_mach

@horgen said:
@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:
@joseph_mach said:

Well a GPU under water won't have heat issues... Neither in SLI as well. But rad space is important. And which ones. Do you want to lower noise a lot as well?

You know, my rig is surprisingly quiet right now. I've got my custom fan curves set, and not to toot my own horn or anything, but if it weren't for the spinning fans and led's, you couldn't tell it was running. That or I've got my speakers cranked to 11 on the loudness scale when gaming. =D

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joseph_mach

@CreasianDevaili said:

Eh... I went ahead and got the Gigabyte G1 1080. Have been lingering on the Galaxy HoF 780 gtx for some time and when I got the Acer XB271HU I felt it was time to upgrade. Going forward two generations and same tier hasn't been a bad upgrade. Haven't OC'ed it yet as I want a good handle on what it can do right now before I start that process. But really, thing does what I wanted and for that I am pretty happy with my purchase.

This was after playing Doom for awhile @ 1440p and ultra settings.

How are you liking the Beta version of Afterburner? Any big improvements over just the regular version of it?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Just ordered Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack. $923 CAD from local shop. Cheapest I could find it. NCIX is selling it for $1007 CAD.

BTW, for those looking to buy... Direct Canada is selling Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 for $835 CAD. Cheapest custom cooler card I have seen here in Canada.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

@BassMan said:

Just ordered Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack. $923 CAD from local shop. Cheapest I could find it. NCIX is selling it for $1007 CAD.

BTW, for those looking to buy... Direct Canada is selling Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 for $835 CAD. Cheapest custom cooler card I have seen here in Canada.

Hey, where did you get the Gigabyte Extreme for $923? Currently have the Asus Strix ordered from NCIX for $1150, but would love to cancel my order and get the Extreme instead.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@id_mew said:
@BassMan said:

Hey, where did you get the Gigabyte Extreme for $923? Currently have the Asus Strix ordered from NCIX for $1150, but would love to cancel my order and get the Extreme instead.

I would also like to know this.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BassMan

@id_mew@with_teeth26: I got it from Atic Computers in Vancouver. The regular Xtreme is $888. You are getting ripped off big time with that Strix. You can buy it for much cheaper.

Found a new low price... Zotac GTX 1080 Amp for $800.99 CAD

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Still waiting for my Amazon pre-order to be filled. Some resellers on Amazon do actually have a few, but they've jacked the price up £100. It's ridiculous.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

@BassMan said:

@id_mew@with_teeth26: I got it from Atic Computers in Vancouver. The regular Xtreme is $888. You are getting ripped off big time with that Strix. You can buy it for much cheaper.

Just checked Atic Computer, their STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING is going for 925.97 plus shipping and insurance would be around $949 plus tax witch is how much I payed at NCIX. I guess you got that discount because you payed cash all in without tax.

Unfortunately I wont be able to go in person and pick it up from the store.

But thanks for getting back to us.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BassMan

@id_mew said:
@BassMan said:

Just checked Atic Computer, their STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING is going for 925.97 plus shipping and insurance would be around $949 plus tax witch is how much I payed at NCIX. I guess you got that discount because you payed cash all in without tax.

Unfortunately I wont be able to go in person and pick it up from the store.

But thanks for getting back to us.

I never factored in tax, shipping, extended warranty, etc. as those are all variables. When comparing prices, you generally go by the listed price of the product. But yeah, I got the cash price of the card (still have to pay taxes though).

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

The GTX 1070 is available on Overclockers right now. I just got the MSI 1070 with free next day shipping for £420. Cancelled my Amazon order. I love Amazon, I really do, but I've been kept waiting for too long.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BassMan

@Articuno76: Congrats. 1070 is a beast and similar performance to my current 980 Ti.

krisroe_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 krisroe_213
Member since 2003 • 898 Posts

Picked up the Strix 1080 yesterday and now I'm hunting for a solid 1440p monitor

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I built my 2x 1080 rig a few weeks ago. Love it. that and my 1440p gsync monitor gave me the motivation to get back into witcher 3 with blood and wine. Man that game looks amazing in 1440p!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BassMan

So... what boost clocks are you guys able to sustain with OC? Please list the specific 1080 you have. I am still waiting on my Gigabyte Xtreme...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@ankor77 said:

I built my 2x 1080 rig a few weeks ago. Love it. that and my 1440p gsync monitor gave me the motivation to get back into witcher 3 with blood and wine. Man that game looks amazing in 1440p!

Posts like these make it so tough to wait XD

I haven't finished The Witcher 3 and I want to play it again but I also want to wait until I get my upgrade... Grr.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I have an inexplicable GAS towards the GTX 1070, although i wouldn't even need it ATM. i'm playing on 1080p@60hz, and 970 is doing a mighty fine job still.

I planned going for a larger 1440p monitor when i go for 1070, but the combined pricetag would be around 900€, so... naaaaah man, not yet. and no, not just any 1440p will suffice, and that's why the pricetag is a bit higher.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

Finally time to put the gtx970ssc I have up for sale. Bit the bullet and went with a Zotac 1080 amp extreme. Can't wait to get it and install.

My 1440p 165hz Predator monitor will finally have a great card feeding it.

Although the 970 was really good with Doom on Ultra I now can finish the game up with the 1080.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Using a 1070 as of right now, I'm very disappointed. Still trying to figure out if it's an issue but with my alex

I5 3570k

16gb ram

Windows 10

All are on 1080p

Total war War hammer max I'm getting sub 70 fps with dips as low as 45

Witcher 3 ~70 with dips as low as 30

Syndicate >60

I'm just disappointed with Witcher and warhammer. I was expecting the card to rock them

Shadow of Mordor on max 60

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Gigabyte's GTX1070 mini OMG!!! Excited yes, boner yes, TMI I know, sorry. :P GTX 1070 mini

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@Berserker1_5 said:

Using a 1070 as of right now, I'm very disappointed. Still trying to figure out if it's an issue but with my alex

I5 3570k

16gb ram

Windows 10

All are on 1080p

Total war War hammer max I'm getting sub 70 fps with dips as low as 45

Witcher 3 ~70 with dips as low as 30

Syndicate >60

I'm just disappointed with Witcher and warhammer. I was expecting the card to rock them

Shadow of Mordor on max 60

using intel 2500k 4.3gz MSI GTX 1070 I get no dips below 60fps on Witcher 3 at 1080p the other games have not played

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

can owners post some firestrike uningine scores on the benchmark thread please, save the thread :P

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

My MSI gtx 1080 SeaHawk is on its way... What do you guys think ? should I sell for profit or keep ? I don't mind waiting

ThereIs0nly0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThereIs0nly0ne
Member since 2012 • 64 Posts

Mine came a couple of weeks back:

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

My GTX 1070 Gaming X will be here Saturday.

Was debating the Gaming X or the EVGA FTW edition, opted for the Gaming X due to availability. I can't wait. Also will be grabbing 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSHD for game storage.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I got my G1 Gaming GTX 1070 in mail yesterday. I've only had little time to play with it but so far I'm pretty impressed.

I haven't done any overclocking yet but my 1070 boosts to 2025mhz out of the box. Everything I've tested so far 1070 murdered @ 1440p.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The MSI 1070 Gaming X overclocked with ease to 2100Mhz.

I made a good choice, can't hear it at all.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

I have the EVGA 1070 FTW edition, would have gotten a 1080 but still can't find them, even on line (at the time of purchase) so far I've been happy with it, even at 4k ultra settings with Doom I average about 50 fps. That's stock, haven't even messed with the oc options yet. Though temps are a factor I don't want to risk overheating it.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I got the evga 1080 FTW. Able to hit 2088Mhz core and 5200Mhz memory, 65*C temps after an hour or so of gaming in a fairly hot room. Default fan curve in evga OC software.

Great card for 1440p/165hz. Huge upgrade from 670sli. My 2600k seems to keep up fine.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I want to join the club! =( But no one has the EVGA 1080 SC in stock.

Perhaps I'll join one day.