SW: The Old Republic GAMEPLAY !!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="Prexxus"]

I just hope they do like SWG and allow player guilds to create citys on planets. And have our own merchants selling our wares again :P I loved roaming arround on planets on my speeder looking for the best deals arround while being hunted by bounty hunters :D Was one of the first to finish up my holocrons and become a jedi :)

SWG felt huge because everyone in the community played it's part. Smugglers creating spices and slicing/hacking weapons to make them more powerful. Merchants, architects... I hope they bring in some stuff like this. It made the game for me. Not to mention the fun guild vs guild city invasions >:D

xXDrPainXx

To be honest, I don't think that's going to happen. They've already shown off the spacecraft that acts as your 'home.' I really doubt there will be another game with SWG's community and player influence. It makes me sad, but at least it keeps me from playing MMOs in general. Play the best and you can't really play anything else.

Nothing will ever come close to touching what Galaxies once had in terms of a player community, the player cities, the crafting, the whole economy and social experience, not instances (then) everything was in real time and the whole game was engaging whether you just PvP'ed or PvE'ed it didn't matter because you apart of something as a whole.

Even though the NGE ruined the experience that most enjoyed it is still a heavy community driven game with things to do, crafting is still there, community is still there and the social experience is still there. You are right saying it was the best and to me it still is and nothing will ever come close to the experience that Galaxies gave us. This game isn't going to be close at all and I'm with some others here saying this does like just like all the others only in Star Wars form.

The UI looked like WoW and even the character classes have been done at least with NGE Galaxies you still give more choices and customization options outside of armor color and guns. I have a feeling this game is riding the hype train and when people actually get their hands on it I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be disappointed and let down.

I'll probably pick the game up and ride the 30 days free and maybe an extra month but I don't think it is going to be as engaging as Pre-NGE Galaxies which I guess spoiled us who played it during the glory days.

Those MMO days are gone now =/ Since WoW has struck the masses of teens and morons have flocked the genre. It's not like it used to be with EQ/DaoC/SWG where theservers were generaly filled with smart, friendly and community driven people. Now all we have if a flock of teenage raging idiots with testosterone levels off the charts. "Trolling" "Ninja looting" in general bad behavior for no good reason other then probably they get picked on at school, then in return jump on a virtual world and try to find a noob to pick on back.

Back then the devs didint have to think about pleasing the masses but had unique ideas that would please the community. I knew alot of people that played the Doctor, Merchant, Architect, Mayor classes in SWG. I wonder how much we would see now. And I think that's why they won't. The people playing mmo's now care more about stretching epeens then community building.

But I still have my hopes that one day! Someone will come along and bring something like that back to the world of mmo's. And heres to hoping its SWTOR.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

[QUOTE="xXDrPainXx"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] To be honest, I don't think that's going to happen. They've already shown off the spacecraft that acts as your 'home.' I really doubt there will be another game with SWG's community and player influence. It makes me sad, but at least it keeps me from playing MMOs in general. Play the best and you can't really play anything else. Prexxus

Nothing will ever come close to touching what Galaxies once had in terms of a player community, the player cities, the crafting, the whole economy and social experience, not instances (then) everything was in real time and the whole game was engaging whether you just PvP'ed or PvE'ed it didn't matter because you apart of something as a whole.

Even though the NGE ruined the experience that most enjoyed it is still a heavy community driven game with things to do, crafting is still there, community is still there and the social experience is still there. You are right saying it was the best and to me it still is and nothing will ever come close to the experience that Galaxies gave us. This game isn't going to be close at all and I'm with some others here saying this does like just like all the others only in Star Wars form.

The UI looked like WoW and even the character classes have been done at least with NGE Galaxies you still give more choices and customization options outside of armor color and guns. I have a feeling this game is riding the hype train and when people actually get their hands on it I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be disappointed and let down.

I'll probably pick the game up and ride the 30 days free and maybe an extra month but I don't think it is going to be as engaging as Pre-NGE Galaxies which I guess spoiled us who played it during the glory days.

Those MMO days are gone now =/ Since WoW has struck the masses of teens and morons have flocked the genre. It's not like it used to be with EQ/DaoC/SWG where theservers were generaly filled with smart, friendly and community driven people. Now all we have if a flock of teenage raging idiots with testosterone levels off the charts. "Trolling" "Ninja looting" in general bad behavior for no good reason other then probably they get picked on at school, then in return jump on a virtual world and try to find a noob to pick on back.

Back then the devs didint have to think about pleasing the masses but had unique ideas that would please the community. I knew alot of people that played the Doctor, Merchant, Architect, Mayor classes in SWG. I wonder how much we would see now. And I think that's why they won't. The people playing mmo's now care more about stretching epeens then community building.

But I still have my hopes that one day! Someone will come along and bring something like that back to the world of mmo's. And heres to hoping its SWTOR.

uh...eve online?

you know, one of the most succesfull MMO's out there?

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Prexxus

Yes EVE may be exception to that rule and good for them. But back when I tried it at release it wasen't really my style. Maybe ill give it another go if SWTOR fails at capturing me.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

What I've noticed here is the most people who post the "wow clone" type of post, judge the game by only this one video.

Ever heard of a game website?Aricles?Forum?

Well get some info before you start arguing.

coreybg
Everything points to this game being a WoW clone, especially the video.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Prexxus

[QUOTE="coreybg"]

What I've noticed here is the most people who post the "wow clone" type of post, judge the game by only this one video.

KHAndAnime

And WoW is a clone of past mmo's. Just with more eyecandy and made more player friendly.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="coreybg"]

Prexxus

And WoW is a clone of past mmo's. Just with more eyecandy and made more player friendly.

In result losing its depth. Tradeskills on it are near useless for anything more than basic needs, people are entering end game barely knowing what thier characters are capable of due to any real player interaction pre-max level. the games design is more relevent to that of say Diablos at this point. It hasnt added any huge community features in all the time its been out, despite its insane financing. hell they even canceled guild leveling last time I heard due to "disagreements with guild leaders" ... cmon .... thats pathtic. The game started off as something amazing... then just got worse and worse (though production values have gone up, the intellectual property has shot right down the sink)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Everything points to this game being a WoW clone, especially the video.Birdy09

In result losing its depth. Tradeskills on it are near useless for anything more than basic needs, people are entering end game barely knowing what thier characters are capable of due to any real player interaction pre-max level. the games design is more relevent to that of say Diablos at this point. It hasnt added any huge community features in all the time its been out, despite its insane financing. hell they even canceled guild leveling last time I heard due to "disagreements with guild leaders" ... cmon .... thats pathtic. The game started off as something amazing... then just got worse and worse (though production values have gone up, the intellectual property has shot right down the sink)

What kind of community features would you like? I see that the WoW website has lots of things going on OUTSIDE the game...
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="Prexxus"]

FelipeInside

What kind of community features would you like? I see that the WoW website has lots of things going on OUTSIDE the game...

Why would I care whats happening outside the game?

Wheres the real dependancy on player actions on the enviroment that was promised pre-game release? surely some outland crappy minigames, and wintergrasp is not the fruit of a billion dollar company? Player housing/construction? Real use for an economy other than basic tradeskills and loot obtained via killing? guild leveling or at least interesting guild features?

The game is basic in everything but its dungeon crawling, which is why I look at it primarly as a Diablo with a 3-4 week virtual lobby of fed ex grinding inbetween, THE Theme Park MMO.

BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

How many WoW-alike MMOs need to fail hard before publishers realise that copying WoW is not their ticket to riches?

And whoop-de-doo! This will be fully voiced! That's gonna get old after about an hour of waiting for NPCs to blurt out text that you could have read in half the time.

This will be popular among kids who never played an MMO before and die-hard Star Wars fans, and that's it.

I predict it'll have less than 200K subs within a year.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

[QUOTE="coreybg"]

KHAndAnime

And what exactly is this everything?

Everyone says it's gonna be a wow-clone cuz they've seen 1 vid.How ignorant can you get, seriously?

The least you could do is watch some more vids, read some articles before predicting the future of the game.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

How many WoW-alike MMOs need to fail hard before publishers realise that copying WoW is not their ticket to riches?

And whoop-de-doo! This will be fully voiced! That's gonna get old after about an hour of waiting for NPCs to blurt out text that you could have read in half the time.

This will be popular among kids who never played an MMO before and die-hard Star Wars fans, and that's it.

I predict it'll have less than 200K subs within a year.

BornGamer
If you think there are less then 200k die hard Star Wars fans in the world then you'll be in for a shock.
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 BornGamer
If you think there are less then 200k die hard Star Wars fans in the world then you'll be in for a shock.Treflis
I didn't say there were less than 200k die-hard Star Wars fans in the world. I said that less than 200k people will be playing TOR after a year. Or do you expect everyone who likes Star Wars to carry on playing the millionth WoW-alike for a whole year despite the game doing nothing new or interesting?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Birdy09"] In result losing its depth. Tradeskills on it are near useless for anything more than basic needs, people are entering end game barely knowing what thier characters are capable of due to any real player interaction pre-max level. the games design is more relevent to that of say Diablos at this point. It hasnt added any huge community features in all the time its been out, despite its insane financing. hell they even canceled guild leveling last time I heard due to "disagreements with guild leaders" ... cmon .... thats pathtic. The game started off as something amazing... then just got worse and worse (though production values have gone up, the intellectual property has shot right down the sink)Birdy09

Why would I care whats happening outside the game?

Wheres the real dependancy on player actions on the enviroment that was promised pre-game release? surely some outland crappy minigames, and wintergrasp is not the fruit of a billion dollar company? Player housing/construction? Real use for an economy other than basic tradeskills and loot obtained via killing? guild leveling or at least interesting guild features?

The game is basic in everything but its dungeon crawling, which is why I look at it primarly as a Diablo with a 3-4 week virtual lobby of fed ex grinding inbetween, THE Theme Park MMO.

I think they are bringing Guild Levels with the new expansions. I would love Player Housing though...
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
[QUOTE="Treflis"]If you think there are less then 200k die hard Star Wars fans in the world then you'll be in for a shock.BornGamer
I didn't say there were less than 200k die-hard Star Wars fans in the world. I said that less than 200k people will be playing TOR after a year. Or do you expect everyone who likes Star Wars to carry on playing the millionth WoW-alike for a whole year despite the game doing nothing new or interesting?

Well what makes WoW so special then? If Star Wars the Old republic is a clone of WoW then those who are fans of Star Wars, wouldn't they rather play a game with that setting? Because from what you're saying is that the only difference is the setting and that's it. So why wouldn't this be just as succesful as WoW if it's so identical as you say it is? I'm fairly certain there are more Star Wars fans then Warcraft fans.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

And WoW is a clone of past mmo's.Prexxus

QFT! It amazes me that people still think that WoW is somehow original or different. It's nothing more than an AC2/EQ clone.

With that said, I'm not too excited for SWOR. It doesn't look like it strays enough from the tired and worn-out MMORPG formula that's been beaten to death for the past 10+ years. I really wanted to like this game (big Star Wars fan) but quite honestly it just looks like more of the same. Bring back (Pre-CU/NGE) SWG and I'd be happy.

At any rate, I'll give this a shot when it's released but from what I've seen and read, I'm not too optimistic.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Thats fair enough, but I just cant be that brand loyal when it comes to this genre, seeing how many failures with decent settings and backings there has been, this doesnt seem to be an exception so far. Its a year off, but theyre already marketing and hyping like crazy... within nothing really that interesting... just a WoW Clone with heavy story focus. Star Wars Galaxies direction was much more interesting and ambitious than this.

I predict Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy XIV will be overall better MMOs, im willing to be quoted on that for ownage aswell. I'm just that confident that yet again a casual obsessed game is being hyped over 2 real gems.

Birdy09

you are hyping FF14 over SWTOR??? are you being **** serious? FF11 was less than spectacular considering the mind numbing grind and absolute reliance on party play. after about lvl 30 or so you could not do anything..... at all.... without a party. add the fact that every party needed a white mage and they were almost none existent and the game becomes futile.

FF14 looks to repeat the same mistakes FF11 had. and im basing my opinion on the few videos i have seen of the game.... AND my experience with FF11, which goes a hell of a lot further than you just **** about a 5min video that barely shows anything....

Bolded for pure lack of any kind of knowledge of another game, very hypocritical, nice job. The very fact that you are complaining about a multiplayer game having heavy heavy enphasis on party play just shows that this genre isnt for you beyond world of warcraft and this equally as single player orientated experiance.

But to the point, you've just done what you claimed I'm doing. Ofcourse TOR will have different mechanics to a certain degree, different numbers, different abilities.... but my god man LOOK AT IT, its incredible unfluenced nearly to the defree games like allods are, its not even trying to set itself apart, its falling back on Bioware's story telling niche and the star wars brand.

i see the game. it doesnt look like wow. dicussion over.

good job bolding the part that isnt part of my point, and completely ignoring the FACTUAL information right above it that proves my point. i helped you out by bolding the pertinent information.

i played FF11 just over a year.... i leveled a monk with warrior subclass and dark knight with warrior subclass.... go ahead and tell me i know nothing about it. lets see how big of a fool i can make of you.

there is making an MMO group intense and then there is making an MMO where you literally can do nothing without a group. FF11 is the latter. you will be hard pressed to find anyone that is OK with being unable to play a game without a party. it is easy to have solo content and group content in an MMO. MMOs have been doing it for a long time. successful MMOs have a blend of both types of content, because it keeps the player playing and feeling like they are always able to log in and accomplish something. FF11 regularly reminds the player that they can do nothing alone. got 30 min to log in? too **** bad, you need atleast a handful of hours set aside to find a group and get something accomplished.

i do not understand how anyone would prefer this over the ability to play a lot when you can, and a little when you can....its win/win...

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
The video looks very unremarkable to me. It might still be a great MMO, the story telling might be awesome and judging an MMO based on a 2 min video clip is obviously premature. However based on that 2 min video clip, it looks like a solid 'Meh, been there done that' to me.
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Oh I get Star Wars, but since Vibroblades are pretty much identical to them in terms of mechanics, im just once again thinking ... "how are they going to add variety to this game's weapons" ... but then you hid behind the story excuse again... and I see less and less potential with every little reply. and then ofcourse the WoW Forumlar excuse. which is usually critisized by PC gamers for shooters but now MMOs are exempt from being deep all of a sudden? thats exactly why most MMO enthusiasts are bored of this kind of thing. I think people are desperatly trying to see something amazing out of nothing, thats brand and hype I guess.haberman13

or you have no idea what you are talking about and he is absolutely right... star wars fans dont want UBER LEET EPIC LIGHTSABER +12 OF DARK SITHNESS weapons in their game.... they want lightsabers and laser pistols and epic adventures.....

star wars is about story and adventure, not EPIC LEWTZ.... get it through your **** brain. all you are doing is hating on a game you know almost nothing about.

I'm a SW fan, i'm a loot fan ...

Both can work together quite well actually, look at the KOTOR games for reference.

the KOTOR games had virtually no variety in loot beyond saber colors and a few different armor designs.... how are you proving your point exactly?
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Roland"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Oh I get Star Wars, but since Vibroblades are pretty much identical to them in terms of mechanics, im just once again thinking ... "how are they going to add variety to this game's weapons" ... but then you hid behind the story excuse again... and I see less and less potential with every little reply. and then ofcourse the WoW Forumlar excuse. which is usually critisized by PC gamers for shooters but now MMOs are exempt from being deep all of a sudden? thats exactly why most MMO enthusiasts are bored of this kind of thing. I think people are desperatly trying to see something amazing out of nothing, thats brand and hype I guess.Birdy09

or you have no idea what you are talking about and he is absolutely right... star wars fans dont want UBER LEET EPIC LIGHTSABER +12 OF DARK SITHNESS weapons in their game.... they want lightsabers and laser pistols and epic adventures.....

star wars is about story and adventure, not EPIC LEWTZ.... get it through your **** brain. all you are doing is hating on a game you know almost nothing about.

I'm laughing so hard because this gets better and better, so now its about the adventure? I thought it was about the story... or is that the adventure? it has to be. because everything else is scripted and instanced to the point where there is no adventure, just like most theme park MMO's ... and WoW clones that have small landscapes where every little inch has a guidelined quest to go there. Sorry, your just making it seem more and more likely that this MMO will have no staying power. and are just hiding behind the Star Wars label to justify it. Good luck with that :S

@ Lion, 900 hours isnt accurate, my xfire wasnt used alot til 2008, in which it was coming towards the end of my interest in WoW, played since release, so yes I have raided constantly.

and you know this by your vast experience playing the game? i thought not.... notice the other bolded part.... story AND adventure... both key elements of the star wars franchise.... perhaps try reading?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="coreybg"]

coreybg

And what exactly is this everything?

Everyone says it's gonna be a wow-clone cuz they've seen 1 vid.How ignorant can you get, seriously?

The least you could do is watch some more vids, read some articles before predicting the future of the game.

Already read them. They all say it's WoW. Sorry.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

This game will succeed for these reasons:

1. Its like WoW, but newer.

2. The graphics/art/world will be very 'star wars', which is an interesting and unique world.

3. The story/VO will give merit and impact to the stories, which will in turn inspire a connection to the game, and keep people playing.

WoW has an awesome story too, but nobody reads it (because you have to wade through 2000 "blah blah blah, kill goats" quests.

People need to curb their expectations and come at this from a "KOTOR, but bigger, with my friends" and ... well .... EPIC!!!!

Based on careful extrapolation there is no more than a .002% chance that this game won't be huge, polished, popular and fun.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Well people, you can't expect them to revamp what an MMORPG is completely. It looks really fun, especially with friends, and I'm giving this a try.GeneralShowzer
They should have changed the MMORPG combat system more than this... lightsabers taking more than a few hits to kill something makes me cringe... that's why I didn't like the "Force Unleashed". I like MMOs because of the adventure, but do I really need to sit there stabbing a dragon along with 10 other people for five hours in order to get some epic loot!?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

you are hyping FF14 over SWTOR??? are you being **** serious? FF11 was less than spectacular considering the mind numbing grind and absolute reliance on party play. after about lvl 30 or so you could not do anything..... at all.... without a party. add the fact that every party needed a white mage and they were almost none existent and the game becomes futile.

FF14 looks to repeat the same mistakes FF11 had. and im basing my opinion on the few videos i have seen of the game.... AND my experience with FF11, which goes a hell of a lot further than you just **** about a 5min video that barely shows anything....

Roland123_basic

Bolded for pure lack of any kind of knowledge of another game, very hypocritical, nice job. The very fact that you are complaining about a multiplayer game having heavy heavy enphasis on party play just shows that this genre isnt for you beyond world of warcraft and this equally as single player orientated experiance.

But to the point, you've just done what you claimed I'm doing. Ofcourse TOR will have different mechanics to a certain degree, different numbers, different abilities.... but my god man LOOK AT IT, its incredible unfluenced nearly to the defree games like allods are, its not even trying to set itself apart, its falling back on Bioware's story telling niche and the star wars brand.

good job bolding the part that isnt part of my point, and completely ignoring the FACTUAL information right above it that proves my point. i helped you out by bolding the pertinent information.

i played FF11 just over a year.... i leveled a monk with warrior subclass and dark knight with warrior subclass.... go ahead and tell me i know nothing about it. lets see how big of a fool i can make of you.

there is making an MMO group intense and then there is making an MMO where you literally can do nothing without a group. FF11 is the latter. you will be hard pressed to find anyone that is OK with being unable to play a game without a party. it is easy to have solo content and group content in an MMO. MMOs have been doing it for a long time. successful MMOs have a blend of both types of content, because it keeps the player playing and feeling like they are always able to log in and accomplish something. FF11 regularly reminds the player that they can do nothing alone. got 30 min to log in? too **** bad, you need atleast a handful of hours set aside to find a group and get something accomplished.

i do not understand how anyone would prefer this over the ability to play a lot when you can, and a little when you can....its win/win...

Ofcourse it doesnt because your on a hype train, what you think its a coincidence that a good portion of this thread, and the gametrailers comments themselves are giving this negativity and saying the same thing, maybe ebcause you know... we are on to something? we arnt saying it about GW2 ... or FFXIV ... why? because they dont look like WoW clones, shocker to you maybe, no one else.

And yes I agree a blend is good, so then why is soloing completely to max level a good thing? or is this a double standard? FFXIV has a mixture, if you had any clue about FFXIV then you would realize basing it off FFXI is just giving me the lulz because you clearly know less than I supposedly know about ToR.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Birdy09

1. Its like WoW, but newer. So is every clone, look where its got them.

2. The graphics/art/world will be very 'star wars', which is an interesting and unique world. No, its the bastard child of star wars, its crappy animated clone war art **** number of people who saw the CGI and went "WHOA!" but then saw the game and was "MEH" is hilarious.

3. The story/VO will give merit and impact to the stories, which will in turn inspire a connection to the game, and keep people playing. Story goes so far, but thats not what keeps people playing Multiplayer games, why some people think so is beyond me.

WoW has an awesome story too, but nobody reads it (because you have to wade through 2000 "blah blah blah, kill goats" quests.

People need to curb their expectations and come at this from a "KOTOR, but bigger, with my friends" and ... well .... EPIC!!!!

Based on careful extrapolation there is no more than a .002% chance that this game won't be huge, polished, popular and fun. For a month play through maybe, theyre going to have to reveal much more than this.

haberman13

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

2. The graphics/art/world will be very 'star wars', which is an interesting and unique world. No, its the bastard child of star wars, its crappy animated clone war art **** number of people who saw the CGI and went "WHOA!" but then saw the game and was "MEH" is hilarious.

3. The story/VO will give merit and impact to the stories, which will in turn inspire a connection to the game, and keep people playing. Story goes so far, but thats not what keeps people playing Multiplayer games, why some people think so is beyond me.

Based on careful extrapolation there is no more than a .002% chance that this game won't be huge, polished, popular and fun. For a month play through maybe, theyre going to have to reveal much more than this.

Birdy09

Analyze why the clones failed:

AoC:

Loading zones, disconnected world, drop on your face into un-voiced grindy reality at lvl 20

WAR:

Loading zones, buggy and wonky animations, skills that were not responsive feeling

Champions Online:

There is a theme here, don't do loading zones, dont have animations/skills that are not responsive. The key is to be immersed into the world, and feel connected to your character.

SWTOR doesn't have these problems from preliminary E3 "reviews", and Bioware doesn't make failure games, I can't think of one at least.

Look at a WoW video one year from release, very very meh. I you don't like WoW that means nothing, but for me, combined with Bioware I see no reason to worry.

(also they are dropping $180 mil on this, non of the previously mentioned had that budget - only Blizzard can match)

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Prexxus

What I'm wondering is how this is at all a "WoW Clone"?

the UI? That UI format is standard for almost every single mmo long before WoW existed.

The combat? Every single mmo long before WoW has had tanks/dps/healers. ( Never seen ranged tanks though )

The party dialogue? Never seen that before.

Fully voiced? Eq2 had that.

So unless I missed something in that video that was "cloned" from WoW. Let me know. WoW is a "clone" of Everquest. Almost every mmo takes the basics that UO and EQ created and just recycle and add new features to it.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 haberman13

What I'm wondering is how this is at all a "WoW Clone"?

the UI? That UI format is standard for almost every single mmo long before WoW existed.

The combat? Every single mmo long before WoW has had tanks/dps/healers. ( Never seen ranged tanks though )

The party dialogue? Never seen that before.

Fully voiced? Eq2 had that.

So unless I missed something in that video that was "cloned" from WoW. Let me know.

WoW is a "clone" of Everquest. Almost every mmo takes the basics that UO and EQ created and just recycle and add new features to it.

Prexxus

Absolutely, but WoW is the most obvious example of the genre, so its easy to just describe the game style as "WoW clone".

If you say EQ2 clone, you are eliminating a lot of people from picturing what that means exactly.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

Analyze why the clones failed:

AoC:

Loading zones, disconnected world, drop on your face into un-voiced grindy reality at lvl 20

WAR:

Loading zones, buggy and wonky animations, skills that were not responsive feeling

Champions Online:

There is a theme here, don't do loading zones, dont have animations/skills that are not responsive. The key is to be immersed into the world, and feel connected to your character.

SWTOR doesn't have these problems from preliminary E3 "reviews", and Bioware doesn't make failure games, I can't think of one at least.

Look at a WoW video one year from release, very very meh. I you don't like WoW that means nothing, but for me, combined with Bioware I see no reason to worry.

(also they are dropping $180 mil on this, non of the previously mentioned had that budget - only Blizzard can match)

You have a point, though exagurating "loading Zones" completely, what left me from being immersed into WoW was how small the world really was, no secrets, no real open areas, just fed ex zones, what made this worse was flying mounts, covering the land without any player interaction over... hmm lets take Northrend for example? 2 minutes..... from 1 side to the other. So I disagree on this point, loading times are nothing when a world like Warcrafts is so small and insignifigant.

Bioware has highly dissapointed me, borrowing elements of WoW is fine, it did quite a few things right, the refinements and responsivness you speak of is one of them, though lets face reality, WoW is nothing but a grind aswell, in the form of heroics... theyre not even fun after the 10th time, especially when your 50 item levels above them, its so pointless.

What dissapoints me the most as they claim to be pioneers of RPGs, and yet, they want to heavily script a multiplayer game? why couldnt they have followed the earlier direction Star Wars Galaxies for example? that worked.... only make jedi a standard **** problem solved... but instead theyve gone down the godamn themepark route ..

All I see from this game, is kiddy art **** aimed at the WoW crowd, dumbed down and simplistic direction. I'l play it for the story, then bin it, this is currently based on all the information released so far, itl take a hell of alot more to say otherwise.

Casual Casual Game. wasting a great license.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 haberman13

I never played SWG, but I do understand the "dumbing down" idea - gah, Oblivion still makes me mad ...

That being said, I don't want to live in a game, which I have done too many times over the years with WoW ... so if SWTOR is at WoWs level of life draining succubus then I"m OK with that.

SWG sounds like EVE, you really have to dedicate to it to get the full experience, which I can appreciate.

You will play this game, and like it, but from your gaming tastes I would have to agree, it probably won't last for you.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 FelipeInside
Star Wars sucks, it's for people who are attracted to long sticks that glow (all puns intended)... kinda like bugs. Bioware, give us Mass Effect MMO instead of this crap...trastamad03
TROLL.... beware people !!!
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Birdy09

Ofcourse it doesnt because your on a hype train, what you think its a coincidence that a good portion of this thread, and the gametrailers comments themselves are giving this negativity and saying the same thing, maybe ebcause you know... we are on to something? we arnt saying it about GW2 ... or FFXIV ... why? because they dont look like WoW clones, shocker to you maybe, no one else.

And yes I agree a blend is good, so then why is soloing completely to max level a good thing? or is this a double standard? FFXIV has a mixture, if you had any clue about FFXIV then you would realize basing it off FFXI is just giving me the lulz because you clearly know less than I supposedly know about ToR.

how would you know what FF14 has? how? all you have is a few interviews and like 2 gameplay videos that show almost nothing at all. you have no information at all regarding what FF14 plays like, or if it is at all different from FF11...... lets face it, its a sequel, made by the same team.... it is likely going to be VERY similar to its predecessor.
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 BornGamer
[QUOTE="Treflis"]If Star Wars the Old republic is a clone of WoW then those who are fans of Star Wars, wouldn't they rather play a game with that setting? Because from what you're saying is that the only difference is the setting and that's it. So why wouldn't this be just as succesful as WoW if it's so identical as you say it is? I'm fairly certain there are more Star Wars fans then Warcraft fans.

Because the type of people who like Star Wars aren't necessarily the type of people who like WoW-style gameplay. WoW with a Star Wars skin will not necessarily appeal to the average Star Wars fan, which is why I said the game is only likely to attract die-hards who will play anything that says "Star Wars" on the box. There is definitely a big market for an immersive, deep, interesting, involving Star Wars MMO, but it doesn't look like Bioware is interested in making it.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Roland123_basic

how would you know what FF14 has? how? all you have is a few interviews and like 2 gameplay videos that show almost nothing at all. you have no information at all regarding what FF14 plays like, or if it is at all different from FF11...... lets face it, its a sequel, made by the same team.... it is likely going to be VERY similar to its predecessor.

You know it releases in 2 months right? and its in beta.... and the feature set has been revealed? infact some of the first information ever released was the ability to solo play alot of stuff through guild leves... "A Few" I think your abit outdated.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#135 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Well people, you can't expect them to revamp what an MMORPG is completely. It looks really fun, especially with friends, and I'm giving this a try.smokeydabear076

They should have changed the MMORPG combat system more than this... lightsabers taking more than a few hits to kill something makes me cringe... that's why I didn't like the "Force Unleashed". I like MMOs because of the adventure, but do I really need to sit there stabbing a dragon along with 10 other people for five hours in order to get some epic loot!?

Oh jesus I know. Force Unleashed was retarded... lightsaber combos like God of War. I'd rather just play through Jedi Outcast again and enable full dismemberment. That's like.. the best Star Wars lightsaber experience ever.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Well people, you can't expect them to revamp what an MMORPG is completely. It looks really fun, especially with friends, and I'm giving this a try.MyopicCanadian

Oh jesus I know. Force Unleashed was retarded... lightsaber combos like God of War. I'd rather just play through Jedi Outcast again and enable full dismemberment. That's like.. the best Star Wars lightsaber experience ever.

Yeah guys I understand this... but look at it from a developers point of view for a second. If they put INSTANT KILL with a lightsaber, then what....you get an EPIC Lightsaber and no one can touch you...???
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#137 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

It'd be tough, for sure. I was thinking.. they could make combat such that it's very difficult to actually hit someone with a lightsaber. Like an actual lightsaber duel would be a lot of dodging and parrying of attacks, and once they score one solid hit it's game over.

That'd be the penultimate form of multiplayer lightsaber duels. Probably wouldn't work too well with non-Jedi, but.. I'm no game designer. I'm sure they could come up with something :D

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

Apart from the comment's of others I think Bioware is making a smart move in not having top-notch graphics for SWTOR... this will better appeal to those who don't have high-end comps; thus garnering a wider appeal.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]They should have changed the MMORPG combat system more than this... lightsabers taking more than a few hits to kill something makes me cringe... that's why I didn't like the "Force Unleashed". I like MMOs because of the adventure, but do I really need to sit there stabbing a dragon along with 10 other people for five hours in order to get some epic loot!?

FelipeInside

Yeah guys I understand this... but look at it from a developers point of view for a second. If they put INSTANT KILL with a lightsaber, then what....you get an EPIC Lightsaber and no one can touch you...???

I was talking to my brother about this today, and I know why they can't do it... they'd sacrifice mass appeal for "realism". Sometimes it's nice to see developers take some risks instead of playing it safe all the time. Why do all MMO's need to have a healer, tank, DPS, and all of that stuff? Why not something different... why not achieve the supposed embodiment of MMO's, individualism, and make a create your own class sort of thing?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"] Oh jesus I know. Force Unleashed was retarded... lightsaber combos like God of War. I'd rather just play through Jedi Outcast again and enable full dismemberment. That's like.. the best Star Wars lightsaber experience ever.smokeydabear076

I was talking to my brother about this today, and I know why they can't do it... they'd sacrifice mass appeal for "realism". Sometimes it's nice to see developers take some risks instead of playing it safe all the time. Why do all MMO's need to have a healer, tank, DPS, and all of that stuff? Why not something different... why not achieve the supposed embodiment of MMO's, individualism, and make a create your own class sort of thing?

Well...you sort of basically can. You might choose a healer...but then your make it your own.... u know what I mean???
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Yeah guys I understand this... but look at it from a developers point of view for a second. If they put INSTANT KILL with a lightsaber, then what....you get an EPIC Lightsaber and no one can touch you...???FelipeInside

Well...you sort of basically can. You might choose a healer...but then your make it your own.... u know what I mean???

Well, you can't really stay too far from the Tank/DPS/Healer class system. Because you'd be throwing skill points all over the place. Youd end up with some strange mixup of them and end up having an Epic Tank who can heal himself making yourself 99% unkillable but doing little damage. Or you'd have a DPS with Massive heals and Just throw on some Heavy armor and go to town... The class system forces party play, If you're not down for that. Why are you even stepping into the world of MMOs?
FadeToBlack90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 FadeToBlack90
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Im probably going to give it a try.

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
eh, not too impressed but not completely turned off either.
-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]I was talking to my brother about this today, and I know why they can't do it... they'd sacrifice mass appeal for "realism". Sometimes it's nice to see developers take some risks instead of playing it safe all the time. Why do all MMO's need to have a healer, tank, DPS, and all of that stuff? Why not something different... why not achieve the supposed embodiment of MMO's, individualism, and make a create your own class sort of thing?

Nibroc420

Well, you can't really stay too far from the Tank/DPS/Healer class system. Because you'd be throwing skill points all over the place. Youd end up with some strange mixup of them and end up having an Epic Tank who can heal himself making yourself 99% unkillable but doing little damage. Or you'd have a DPS with Massive heals and Just throw on some Heavy armor and go to town... The class system forces party play, If you're not down for that. Why are you even stepping into the world of MMOs?

I think Asheron's Call has a fine classless system.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Birdy09

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"] Oh jesus I know. Force Unleashed was retarded... lightsaber combos like God of War. I'd rather just play through Jedi Outcast again and enable full dismemberment. That's like.. the best Star Wars lightsaber experience ever.smokeydabear076

Games like Ultima and Eve pretty much did this, and FFXIV allows you to combine any skills from any class when you learn them, along with assinging your owns tat points, even these 3 games are limited to the fact that people will work out whats best and everyone will be the same. regaurdless i prefer these methods to lame talent trees.
Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#146 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

the fact the consular had a lightsaber but never used it gave me horror flashbacks to when I paladin healed in WoW.

expect "LF healer" to be spammed in chat

we already know there is going to be an excess of people rolling jedi's

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#147 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

the fact the consular had a lightsaber but never used it gave me horror flashbacks to when I paladin healed in WoW.

Deano

That's because they were using it as a camera. BTW, you trinity haters need to look at this thread, that's why they're using it. If you have a better idea, go get a job at a developer, and go make millions of dollars.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LTZH

Deano
And no there won't be an excess, go look at ToR's polls.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Deano"]

LTZH

That poll will be a reflection of enthusiasts, not casuals.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 LTZH
[QUOTE="LTZH"][QUOTE="Deano"]

Birdy09

That poll will be a reflection of enthusiasts, not casuals.

Will be? It already shows a distributed amount of people per classes. Lets say your right, and the Sith/Jedi percantage is 60% instead of 50%, it's still ok because it fits the timeline of the setting where there are thousands and thousands of sith and jedi. Unlike SWG where there are supposed to be no Jedi and a few sith.