Steam OS released tomorrow...!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Anyone going to try it? I don't really see the use for me personally, my PC does all I need it to do

http://games.on.net/2013/12/steamos-will-be-available-to-download-tomorrow-get-your-linux-gaming-machine-ready/

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I'll resist this SteamOS/Box crap as long as I possibly can personally. Leave my desktop, monitor, k/m alone!

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@vfibsux said:

I'll resist this SteamOS/Box crap as long as I possibly can personally. Leave my desktop, monitor, k/m alone!

you can also use it to play games on one pc while they are running on other, something i'm more interested in than a console-like experience.

anybody know when it will be released?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

@vfibsux said:

you can also use it to play games on one pc while they are running on other, something i'm more interested in than a console-like experience.

No clue when they will integrate in-home streaming functionality but it won't be included in tomorrow's SteamOS release.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Reading through articles it may be a pain to get going. I will def check out some videos of people using it though. I would like to give it a go once things get ironed out.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

While I'm all for more Operative systems, I won't jump on it until I've seen how it works on a friend of mine's computer for awhile.

If I like it then I might get it when Windows 7 isn't supported anymore and if the majority of developers make their games runable on the Steam OS.

So short summary, I'm on the fence about it for now.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Im stuck with windows 7 unofficial currently because i lost my key before my harddrive failed so i am going to get it because i refuse to get windows 8 and you cant buy 7 anymore.

Probably going to dual boot until im sure i want to keep it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I see SteamOS as Valve's ambitious and risky attempt to dislodge itself from the Windows-PC-Steam trinity that currently dominates the PC gaming space, and turn Steam into its own standalone, hardware-independent gaming platform. It's a project that's just as likely to take off as it is to crash and burn, so I'll have to wait and see.

I am, however, much more positive about Steam Machines, and see them as an option for my next upgrade.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Not really interested. I use my PC for more than just gaming. Plus, only linux games run on that thing, right?

poochyena1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By poochyena1986
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I'll stick it on my old dell 1720 laptop and see what it's like

Edit: I'm already running ubuntu on it atm. I haven't done much with it except web surfing

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

@vfibsux said:

I just don't see the value in this personally. I sit at my desk, I turn my PC on, I play. What does this do for me? lol

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I'll wait for the in-home streaming thing to be added, then I'll try it out.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

At Edinsftw, some independent shops in San Diego CA sell Win 7 at least when you buy a custom made pc. I have to check if they sell the discs separately though. As for the Steam OS it doesn't currently have support for AMD GPUs ouch. That's according this -

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5945/valve-releases-first-steam-os-build.html

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I'll install it on my old q6600/6870 rig sitting in my closet and see how that goes.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I can't find a reason to go for Linux version, to try it on seperate partition, might worth a look but nothing more; I think I'll just watch some introduction on YouTube.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arthas045
Loading Video...

Shows how to install it on a VM.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It's just big picture mode. Honestly, Steam OS seems pretty useless unless you are planning to buy a Steam machine for PC gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@edinsftw said:

Im stuck with windows 7 unofficial currently because i lost my key before my harddrive failed so i am going to get it because i refuse to get windows 8 and you cant buy 7 anymore.

Probably going to dual boot until im sure i want to keep it.

You can buy Win7 OEM. Just not the boxed version MS sells at retail.

Link

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Valve will have to improve SteamOS a ton to make it an attractive alternative. I myself would rather just use a Linux distribution like Manjaro with steam installed. If people just take the time to learn and understand GNU/Linux, its much better than Windows, and you don't have to deal with microsoft's endless torrent of bullshit they sling at your face.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Valve will have to improve SteamOS a ton to make it an attractive alternative. I myself would rather just use a Linux distribution like Manjaro with steam installed. If people just take the time to learn and understand GNU/Linux, its much better than Windows, and you don't have to deal with microsoft's endless torrent of bullshit they sling at your face.

How is it better than Windows?

Apart from that it's free of course.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I like the way it does things as apposed to Windows. Has more freedom, and the vast amount of choices you have with it, like all the different DE's, and whatnot. And just the fact that it's not owned by a single large greedy corporation that does whatever they please to get more money out of you. Now it does have flaws, like lack of software support, but if more people used it, it would get more support, its a catch 22.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arthas045

I have an old dual core 2 duo that I am going to put this on in February... My son wants a computer for Minecraft "so he can have mods lol".... He is 6 mind you. I figured he would be a good test subject lol.... Plus it beats buying another copy of windows unless its a failed test.

Kopmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Kopmeister
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Waiting for streaming to be included then either dual boot with laptop or virtual box, could be quiet useful

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I like the way it does things as apposed to Windows. Has more freedom, and the vast amount of choices you have with it, like all the different DE's, and whatnot. And just the fact that it's not owned by a single large greedy corporation that does whatever they please to get more money out of you. Now it does have flaws, like lack of software support, but if more people used it, it would get more support, its a catch 22.

So basically you like it cause you can change the UI? more freedom in that part? You can do that in Windows too you know, just need a third party app.

And I never understood the whole "greedy get money out of you" argument. I don't pay MS a cent more than I want to in anything. And Windows is actually one of the paid Operating Systems where it gives you the most for free so me not understand. Nothing is perfect, but Windows imo is the most complete OS out there, both in features and support.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexKidd5000

MS does quite a lot to piss people off, with the games for windows live nonsense, and there negligence toward PC gaming, since they focus far more on the xbox, and the bull crap they pull with directx, making newer versions exclusive to the newest versions of windows for no reason. I just do not want MS to continue having a monopoly on the OS market. And I would rather not have to use third party programs to change windows UI, many cost money, and don't always work right. I also like the way Linux repositories work. And no malware either.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Woohoo! Wait. What the heck would I do with it?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@Qixote said:

Yeah that's what I think. I can just use Windows and do the same + more.

Only thing it "might" be useful in the future for some people is the live streaming.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Qixote said:

Yeah that's what I think. I can just use Windows and do the same + more.

Only thing it "might" be useful in the future for some people is the live streaming.

It would probably be a good stream box OS for depreciated hardware. That way you could stream full-quality games from a more powerful main PC, at least until adoption of OS-nuetral game coding becomes more widespread (hopefully).

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

The streaming function is the only thing of interest to me right now. Will try it when that hits.