Something like Bloodborne, but for PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

So, here I am, once again asking you for help in finding a game similar to another game. Let's hope you will be willing and able to help me.

Anyways, since the release (and even some time before that) of Bloodborne, I've been itching to play it. However, since I don't own a PS4, I won't be able to, so I have to look for alternatives. Can you suggest any games for the MasterRaceStation I can play instead to fill the void in my heart that's been constantly widening with each passing day?

The ideal option would be a carbon copy, but I know that's not possible. The closest thing to a carbon copy would be Dark Souls (although not completely - Bloodborne is way faster and closer to being a hack n' slash game rather than a copy of Dark Souls), methinks, but I don't really see myself wanting to do a 3rd playthrough of it, especially since I already know this game through and through. What I like about Bloodborne the most, though, is its atmosphere, so let's say it should be the main focus when choosing what game to recommend. I really like its constant dark, brutal, and pessimistic feel, From's take on Lovecraftian/Eldtrich horror, as well as the artstyle that's the epitome of Gothic.

As for the gameplay part, I'm pretty flexible about it, as long as it's something resembling an action or an action-adventure game. The thing I don't want is to be completely defenseless against the enemies the game throws at me, so games like Amnesia aren't really something I'd like to play.

Here are my specs. I think it's time I started including them in my every thread about game recommendations, considering the sudden and rapid growth in games' system requirements:

• AMD Athlon II X4 2.8GHz
  • 4GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
  • Win7 Ultimate

I think that's all there's to say. I hope you can help me out on this one. Thanks in advance.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Might be worth giving lords of the fallen a try. Combat is a bit sticky and less precise than bloodborne or dark souls but it is none the less a solid action game. If you haven't played witcher 3 yet then now would be a good time to start because that game is possibly the game of the decade material, the combat is quite similar to bloodborne however there's a bit of a learning curve like any rpgs. My recommendations are as follows.

-Dark souls 2 scholar of the first sin

-Lords of the fallen

-The witcher 3

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xxninja666xx

@GhostHawk196 said:

My recommendations are as follows.

-Lords of the fallen

-The witcher 3

I've played the standard edition of DS2 and didn't like it at all, so I reckon I wouldn't like the re-release either. Also I don't know what it has to do with Bloodborne in terms of atmosphere - DS2 is basically high fantasy. For the latter two games, my PC is too weak.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Download mods for Amnesia if you don't like Amnesia's gameplay. You don't really have much choice on PC sadly. If you don't mind old school games you can check out Nightmare Creatures, Call of Cthulhu, and Soul Reaver. All of those are heavily gothic and Lovecraftian. Nightmare Creatures is pretty much a 90s Bloodborne. Hack and slash, difficult, face paced, sword and gun at the same time, ect. It might be hard to find but you can always emulate the PS or N64 version and long as you legally own it already wink wink.

Loading Video...

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xxninja666xx

@saintsatan said:

You don't really have much choice on PC sadly.

I seriously refuse to believe that among thousands and thousands of games there really is so few games fitting the criteria I'm looking for.

@saintsatan said:

If you don't mind old school games you can check out Nightmare Creatures, Call of Cthulhu, and Soul Reaver. All of those are heavily gothic and Lovecraftian.

Most of them are pretty obsolete gameplay-wise and/or are nigh-impossible to run on modern systems, but at least they fit, so thanks, I guess.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Van Helsing (the action RPGs) have a art style that reminds me a lot of Bloodborne, though they aren't exactly horror games.

They aren't at all Lovecraftian but the Stalker games fit a lot of your criteria as well.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Clive Barker's Undying

Realms of the Haunting

Cryostasis

Betrayer

Blade of Darkness

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Devil May Cry series.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxninja666xx

@AdrianWerner said:

Clive Barker's Undying

Oh, man! I totally forgot this game even existed! THIS is what I've been looking for. Thanks a bunch for reminding me of its existence.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Dark Souls 3 when it comes out. Supposed to have some mechanics similar to bloodborne.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxninja666xx

@Jr14 It comes out for PC in more than half a year, though, while I'm looking for something to play now.:

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

Might I suggest Brutal Legend.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxninja666xx

@fatalscorpion

It doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. It's a comedic game with dark humor and tons of rock scene references, while what I'm searching for is a really dark, super serious almost-horror (or "light" horror).

nameless123cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless123cc
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts

Nightmare Creatures is awesome. Had it on PS1 back in the day

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@GhostHawk196 said:

Might be worth giving lords of the fallen a try. Combat is a bit sticky and less precise than bloodborne or dark souls but it is none the less a solid action game. If you haven't played witcher 3 yet then now would be a good time to start because that game is possibly the game of the decade material, the combat is quite similar to bloodborne however there's a bit of a learning curve like any rpgs. My recommendations are as follows.

-Lords of the fallen

-The witcher 3

I would not recommend Fallen or Witcher with his build.. Both are incredibly demanding games, and he is going to have abit of trouble running them with a 7770.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'd say Dark Souls 2 : Scholars of the First Sin. Seems most people think it's the best Souls experience. The art style isn't a carbon copy of Bloodborne but honestly they're not as different as you make out to be. More often than not you're going through very similar areas fighting very similar enemies - they more or less might as well belong to the same universe unless you wanted to get uber-picky. It's simply the closest to what you're looking for.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Severance: Blade of Darkness seems right up your alley.

You might also like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

So, I have a few questions. Have you played Bloodborne or just watched gameplay? I own it and I love it but I also love Dark Souls 2 SotfS. But thats because I started with Dark Souls 1 and then went to Dark Souls 2. The first game was amazing. Slower, yes, but also methodical and amazing. BUT that may not be what you're after. Are you looking for dark themes? Maybe games that are tense and keep you on the edge of your seat? Are you looking for a third person action game or just something that gives you that adrenaline rush?

If you want something dark:

• STALKER series
  • Witcher series
  • Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Baldurs Gate series
  • Amnesia
  • Fallout series
  • Wasteland 2
  • Dead Space series
  • Dragon Age series
  • Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

If you just want third person action:

• Darksiders series
  • Fable The Lost Chapters (also dark)
  • Enslaved Odyssey to the West
  • Zelda series (emulated)
  • Psychonauts (platforming)
  • Red Faction series
  • Resident Evil series (also dark)
  • Batman Arkham series

I dont know what to tell you honestly. Ive been in your position before but after playing DS1 and DS2. I still havent to finish DS2 but Ive already put in 105 hrs into that game. Im sure Im forgetting some other game because I too enjoy the more mature nature of dark and grizzly games. Up to you.

The Humble Store is having its Winter Sale right now so go check out what they have on offer too.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Face it, if what you want is to play Bloodborne then the game you want is Bloodborne. Similarities isn't really going to cut it. That's like trying to play LA Noire when what you wanted to play was Heavy Rain.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Darksiders?

Not familiar with the gameplay of Bloodborne at all, but it's an action game like God of War and Darksiders and in that vein, right?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Darksiders?

Not familiar with the gameplay of Bloodborne at all, but it's an action game like God of War and Darksiders and in that vein, right?

It's pretty much the exact same game as Dark Souls 1 and 2, with slightly less customization. I've never heard of anyone who liked DS and BB but didn't like DS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Darksiders 2

Closest thing you can get, if Dark Souls' won't count. Not as good as Bloodborne (or From games in general), but it's something...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

There's nothing like Bloodborne. unique game.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Check out Malebolgia. Should give you a decent Souls series feel. You can find it pretty cheap on key reselling websites.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@gameslikezone: Please check the dates on threads before replying and please do not use the forum to advertise your offsite blogs/sites/whatever.

-Byshop