Single Player or Multiplayer - which do you like better

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#1 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
which you buy your games for, which do you spend more time on, what just makes you love a game?
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
I generally prefer and play much more singleplayer, but most of my favourite moments of gaming have been had online.
Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Kuyt19
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
First one, YAY. Beat ya'll to it.:P.....or NOT.:(
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
I like both equally but I play so much more MP. When I buy a game I look for a good single player and a solid multiplayer.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'd take single-player over multi-player any day of the week.
But if a game has a good selection of both (CoD4 for example) I'm not complaining. :P
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

Well, I love singleplayer much more than multiplayer. The game is capable of doing more with it, and it's always more enjoyable.

However, I play multiplayer much more because it hooks me longer for some reason. If I beat a singleplayer game, I very rarely go back to it even though it was fun. It's kind of like thriller movies. They're fun the first time you watch it, but after you know the twist ending it's boring to watch again.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I play SP 99,99% of the time.

Rarely, very rarely did I bother with the MP portion of a game in the past, but when I did, beer, friends and lots of swearing were involved. I miss those days...

Coop is also cool.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
I don't play much multiplayer - maybe some UT2K4 or TF2 here and there. Most of my gaming time is dedicated to single-player games, mainly first-person action games. I just find it much more interesting. I feel more of a sense of purpose when playing a good FPS (i.e BioShock, Half-Life 2, Crysis) yet when I play multiplayer I'm usually left felt unfulfilled. Coop games like Serious Sam are totally awesome online, though. If anyone's interested in playing SS coop, please PM me!
dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dazza_avo
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

It depends on the game.

If it is somthing like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4, then multiplayer.

But sometimes, multiplayer is just tacked on.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

I always buy a game for the SP, or if at least has god AI/bots.

If not, the no game for me.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
Single Player. There's a story
Worf101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Worf101
Member since 2002 • 697 Posts

I voted both for the following reasons. All my FPS are played single player offline. However most of my game playing is done online in "Forgotten Battles" on Hyperlobby. I'm part of a dedicated squadron and I fly most every night. I never got into the 'frag fest" game. As a veteran I found point ho's and hopping and jumping to keep from getting shot to be an insult to the entire idea of combat so, I leave most multiplayer alone out side of IL2 Sturmovik and then I only fly COOPS so there's more to do than just dogfight. Dog fighting quickly turns into "air QUAKE" if there's no mission to accomplish. Soooo I need the best of both have a good time.

Da Worfster

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
Single player, easily. I'm very picky about multiplayer, if it doesn't play just right, I won't enjoy it enough. The Battlefield games are pretty much the only multiplayer games I've played that I particularly like.
wow1059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wow1059
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
single player definitely, you can do anything you want without any consequences. If you screw up, then you can load a save and try again. Some game's multiplayer community are not very friendly and a lot of annoy noobs/hackers/tkers ruining the experience for you.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Single Player.
TheFreeloader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheFreeloader
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts
Sometimes one, sometimes the other. I think rpg's are better as multiplayer, because as single player i always wind up feeling kind of lonely. Shooters and rts are good both ways, singleplayer where you can get in depth with a good story, and in the highly competive multiplayers where you can polish your skills. and then there is a whole world of great games there never would work as multiplayers, like economic simulators and adventure games.
bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
Well, the only reason multiplayer is better is that the lasting appeal is a lot better. For singleplayer a lot of times there isn't that much replay value and it's pretty short. I like them both to be honest.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

SP.

Reason? My internet connection is slower than a snail.

grim1813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 grim1813
Member since 2005 • 431 Posts
I like both equally. It really depends on the game though. If all of my friends are playing a game online, though, chances are that I'll prefer multiplayer over singleplayer.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

i like both but multiplayer is bigger for me, my 3 fave games are dod:s cs:s and tf2 if that says anything

Avatar image for deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts
SP. Playing with humans is only really fun if I know them well, as opposed to random matches.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
interesting to know that pc gamers mostly prefer single player, at least on these forums. guess that the hard core mp fans are off doing just that.
TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
I prefer SP i think, games like HL, Doom3, Painkiller, Crysis etc etc are better in SP. But when a game has a good competitive MP i play it like CoD4, Broodwar and HL online is damn fun :D.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
Herrick plays singleplayer the vast majority of the time. I've tried a few minutes of multiplayer here and there over the years. I played Earth Siege 2 a few times online and it was fun but it was on dial-up. I also played Guild Wars for a few weeks but never really got into it. One day, I'll really give a non-MMO multiplayer game a real chance.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
I seldom get a game because of its multiplayer. Everytime I do go online in a game, it tends to always be the same experience as any other game. It's typically just a bunch of rude people with attitudes killing everything that moves, even people on the same team. They are typically campers who achieved their godlike status by either cheating or by camping 24/7. All the levels tend to play out the same each round. Without any story or direction such as that in singleplayer, the online typically feels empty to me. And listening to all the kids and adolescent teens fresh out of puberty barking orders at me isn't something I can tolerate.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I seldom get a game because of its multiplayer. Everytime I do go online in a game, it tends to always be the same experience as any other game. It's typically just a bunch of rude people with attitudes killing everything that moves, even people on the same team. They are typically campers who achieved their godlike status by either cheating or by camping 24/7. All the levels tend to play out the same each round. Without any story or direction such as that in singleplayer, the online typically feels empty to me. And listening to all the kids and adolescent teens fresh out of puberty barking orders at me isn't something I can tolerate.Qixote

I completely, completely understand where you are coming from :)

Maybe this is how you MP game already, but you might find online multiplayer gaming more agreeable with a group of friends. I had a group of real-life friends that I'd play BF2 with, it was easier to laugh off the moronic adolescent behavior/attitude that you occasionally encounter. Cheating, etc can still be a bummer.

At any rate, still love LAN parties, MP COOP, etc with friends, but I'm primarily a single-player gamer as well.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i like single player more, but i can enjoy multiplayer just as much if the players online are nice
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]I seldom get a game because of its multiplayer. Everytime I do go online in a game, it tends to always be the same experience as any other game. It's typically just a bunch of rude people with attitudes killing everything that moves, even people on the same team. They are typically campers who achieved their godlike status by either cheating or by camping 24/7. All the levels tend to play out the same each round. Without any story or direction such as that in singleplayer, the online typically feels empty to me. And listening to all the kids and adolescent teens fresh out of puberty barking orders at me isn't something I can tolerate.Nitrous2O

Maybe this is how you MP game already, but you might find online multiplayer gaming more agreeable with a group of friends. I had a group of real-life friends that I'd play BF2 with, it was easier to laugh off the moronic adolescent behavior/attitude that you occasionally encounter. Cheating, etc can still be a bummer.

At any rate, still love LAN parties, MP COOP, etc with friends, but I'm primarily a single-player gamer as well.

I know that the MP experience is better with a group of friends. Unfortuntely, none of my friends are gamers, so that's why I always have to settle for playing online with strangers.

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
[QUOTE="Nitrous2O"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"]I seldom get a game because of its multiplayer. Everytime I do go online in a game, it tends to always be the same experience as any other game. It's typically just a bunch of rude people with attitudes killing everything that moves, even people on the same team. They are typically campers who achieved their godlike status by either cheating or by camping 24/7. All the levels tend to play out the same each round. Without any story or direction such as that in singleplayer, the online typically feels empty to me. And listening to all the kids and adolescent teens fresh out of puberty barking orders at me isn't something I can tolerate.Qixote

I know that the MP experience is better with a group of friends. Unfortuntely, none of my friends are gamers, so that's why I always have to settle for playing online with strangers.

Hardly any of my friends are pc gamers but if you stick at it you really do find some gems from the dirt. The amount of little *sshole kids that play online is near unbelieveability but when you do find that one guy who you can really have a laugh with then it is great. I have now met enough people to be able to play a game with a mate and have a laugh. The only problem is finding them.
jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

I'm strictly SP-only, for two reasons - one is security related - i'm basically just really paranoid about my nice new PC

the other is the terrible feeling that if i started gaming online, i'd really get into it, and if i really got into it there'd be no getting out of it, so that would get me into real trouble in my life and i'd just be totally out of control - if you see what i mean...

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts

jfsebastianII - Good point, I'll address that first. Many of the online gamers tend to be the ones whose lives revolve around gaming and have no social life or life outside of gaming (although for most this is not true). I compare it to Soma - it doesn't really make you think that much, absorb anything, you just sit there idly playing and repeating the same set of tasks over and over and slightly adjusting them. Sure, it's just awesome every now and then with friends, but for the most part when you keep on playing multi-player you eventually become so good at it that it's second nature, and you're not really doing anything besides clicking buttons.

I started out gaming with single player, and then spent years and years on multiplayer games like Halo, Battlefield 2, Team Fortress 2, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Eventually most games will wear out (except MMOs, which will take over and perhaps ruin your life if you get involved with them), and in retrospect I feel like I wasted pretty much all that time - I didn't gain anything from the game like I often do with single player games. No story, no higher thinking, no exploration...so essentially, I think its nothing more than an efficient way to kill time. At the same time, I've had plenty more memorable experiences a) playing single player, sometimes with friends and less so b) playing multiplayer with people I know in real life. But playing multiplayer consistently online with people from across the world - it hasn't really given me anything that memorable. Some nice acquaintances, but not much else.

Single player games that are original, with a nice plot, great immersive environments, open ended gameplay that requires one to make decisions and use their brain, non-repetitive gameplay, and a positive mood - they're works of art that don't have as much replay value, but have so many more benefits when you play them. I've arrived to this conclusion after years of multiplayer gameplay that I believe I just threw away doing absolutely nothing worthwhile. It can be addicting, often fun, but I don't feel like I got anything out of it - compared to a campaign which can be just as enjoyable and give you something valuable.

So back to what sebastian said - online gaming can be pretty malignantly addictive, and I can personally attest to that. Stay out of it for extended periods of time - once a game starts to get boring, move on before you get so involved in it that it becomes routine. For instance, I find myself trying to relive those special multiplayer moments that seemed so frequent when I started playing Team Fortress 2 but now occur once in a millenia; I keep on playing and playing just for those times when it all just clicks. But that's just stupid, it's lost its value, time to move on. Maybe I'm high or something, but this is what's on my mind at the moment, and I might as well disseminate it all.

fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts
multiplayer owns all mainly because you can talk to anyone. when your playing against the computer its like your playing nobody.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
definitely single player, although i've been starting to get into some multiplayer games (actually, just tf2).
YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
Multiplayer for Source and UT games, but everything else is for Single-Player.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Multiplayer lasts longer, but a good singleplayer is much, much more enjoyable.
sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36 sivasiva
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts
I prefer single-multiplayer.
jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

multiplayer owns all mainly because you can talk to anyone. when your playing against the computer its like your playing nobody.fizzlegloop

i think that's true if it's a bot match, which is why UT games now bore me, but in terms of a well-constructed SP experience in FPS, RPG or whatever, you're playing against the developers, who are (i hope) real people - that's the way i see it anyway

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I buy games for the single player and if the multiplayer is good then i'll spend time playing that after.. i don't buy games for multiplayer though cause i dont want to spend money and then find the servers go down frequently, there is lots of lag etc which make the game a waste of money.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I guess we're talking shooters? I tend to prefer single player over multiplayer for the story and the single player world interaction. Multi-player is generally an afterthought for me. Outside of playing with friends and family, I don't spend a lot of time playing online anymore. There was a period where I was really into multiplayer, but that was back in the Quake 3 days. Day of Defeat and others were pretty fun.

In other genres, it's fine depending on the aspect of gameplay. In MMOs, it's quite fun to get together with other players to raid, or just to have people online to chat with while doing the daily grind. Pvp is also fun, as well. But even in MMOs, I tend to solo when I can.

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
Yeah - the novelty of being able to play with other players depreciates after a while. And it can really hurt me - games have hurt my real life in the past, with single player I find it a little easier to play in moderation.
Danili0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Danili0
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts
Sp. Mp can become quite repetitive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 100000
Member since 2003 • 549 Posts

Multiplayer by a long shot, RTS games which is what I am mainly interested in explains it all, but even with FPS's, Mutli is more fun.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Multiplayer. I love winning against competition.
dylandude392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dylandude392
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
I'll take SP any day. I never seem to get along with other people well enough to play MP.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
People don't play multplayer because they suck, and they get owned.
hikari33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hikari33
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts

Most PC game i go straight into MP

all other systems like ps2, psp, xbox, wii....i buy solely for the SP

xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
The major flaw with mutliplayer games is that they don't have story lines that will bring you into it. In most cases I find that if you don't play multiplayer games with friends they aren't always fun, but thats probably because I don't play FPS multiplayer games. I think I would take single player because the story lines and enviroments can be so great if done right. Too many idiots in multiplayer games ruining it for everyone.
WildstarGoethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WildstarGoethe
Member since 2008 • 270 Posts
Sp. Mp can become quite repetitive. Danili0
Worf101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#49 Worf101
Member since 2002 • 697 Posts

People don't play multplayer because they suck, and they get owned.McJugga

No grown ups don't play multiplayer because of the attitude you just displayed. Now I was paid to carry a rifle and kill people with it for 4.5 years. If any of you children would like to step outside your electronic sandbox there are men and women out here that could show you that you've no real idea what you're talking about when you think killing hapless spawners is somehow a legitimate accomplishment.

Da Worfster

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts
I like single player more.. I love games to have a story..