Say hello to Windows Blue!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

I wont post the whole article here, you can read it at the source. One of the most interesting parts:

The first Windows Blue release will be priced at "a low cost or even free to ensure users upgrade," according to the tech site, which said the upgrade will "include UI changes" from Windows 8, as well as other "alterations to the entire platform."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412625,00.asp

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

not interested.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
No thanks.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

GummiRaccoon

As of right now, I'm thinking the same.

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

GummiRaccoon

why?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JohnF111

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

msfan1289

why?

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

JohnF111

why?

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="msfan1289"]

why?

FelipeInside

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

The point was windows 7 is the last desktop OS from microsoft.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.GummiRaccoon

So they add a different menu, improve on everything in desktop mode but it's the last desktop OS from MS?

And how do we know what Windows 9 will bring?

Granted Windows 8 is directed at Tablets and Touch Devices, but it can still be used on a Desktop.

Imagine the rage on these forums if MS had decided to bring out Win8 on Tablets ONLY?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.FelipeInside

So they add a different menu, improve on everything in desktop mode but it's the last desktop OS from MS?

Granted Windows 8 is directed at Tablets and Touch Devices, but it can still be used on a Desktop.

Imagine the rage on these forums if MS had decided to bring out Win8 on Tablets ONLY?

Why aren't we allowed to talk about why we don't like it?

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

JohnF111

why?

lol sorry chump but Linux is garbo. Just because Valve has developed a steam client for Linux doesn't mean all game developers are going to release games for it. are you really that clueless?

90% of useful programs don't even work on Linux.

Linux is for people with no life who like to waste time on the computer.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Why aren't we allowed to talk about why we don't like it?

Watch the sales of start8 sky rocket, and see what MS does with windows 9 LOL
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

just what we need....a new OS. kthnxbai

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon

why?

jakes456

lol sorry chump but Linux is garbo. Just because Valve has developed a steam client for Linux doesn't mean all game developers are going to release games for it. are you really that clueless?

Do you ever say anything that is correct?

No, no you don't.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JohnF111

why?

FelipeInside

Where did I say that Windows 7 is not a desktop OS? I wasn't complaining as I clearly mentioned that Windows moved focus to Tablets and I was fine with it. Jeez talk about twisting words.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnF111

why?

jakes456

Wow so it's true.. You really are an idiot. I said MORE developers are adopting Linux, not all. Also by 90% are you talking about Windows apps? Then sure that's obvious bu there's an app to replace every windows app and most are free. Read I said MOST not all apps are free before you jump in and exaggerate again.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

GummiRaccoon

Same here.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
DirectX is too cost effective for companies to just go switching to OpenGL/Linux. Developers do like OpenGL because it's more flexible, and I'm glad that Sony kept it alive, but I don't see companies spending so much more on developing PC games tbh; Especially since most gamers, including myself, are sticking with Windows.. I'm willing to bet that almost everyone in this thread that said Windows 7 would be their last Windows OS are going to end up getting Windows 9. People were saying the same thing when Vista was released, but then everyone ended up buying Windows 7 anyway...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Where did I say that Windows 7 is not a desktop OS? I wasn't complaining as I clearly mentioned that Windows moved focus to Tablets and I was fine with it. Jeez talk about twisting words.

Yes, that's what I meant, you understood me wrong (I wasn't twisting words). Windows 7 is the best desktop OS by MS. Windows 8 is directed at tablets mostly but can still be used in a desktop environment. They had to focus on Tablets cause that's where the world is now, and I'm not talking about gamers..... business and home which is the meat of MS's income.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon

DirectX is too cost effective for companies to just go switching to OpenGL/Linux. Developers do like OpenGL because it's more flexible, and I'm glad that Sony kept it alive, but I don't see companies spending so much more on developing PC games tbh; Especially since most gamers, including myself, are sticking with Windows.. I'm willing to bet that almost everyone in this thread that said Windows 7 would be their last Windows OS are going to end up getting Windows 9. People were saying the same thing when Vista was released, but then everyone ended up buying Windows 7 anyway...superclocked

I'd like to say that when vista came out I said I would wait for the next version of windows.

Since then, linux has lept forward in ease of use, I run my home server off of it, my VPS is running centOS, steam is going to linux and probably blizzard games will too. PC games are almost exclusively awful console ports these days so my interest in PC gaming is waning. Libre Office is just a quarter step behind office 2010 and I feel superior to the new MS office.

The changes MS made to the UI were arbitrary and unneccesary.

The only reason I don't use linux as my desktop OS is because of games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
PC games awful console ports? What are U on today?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JohnF111
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

Yes, that's what I meant, you understood me wrong (I wasn't twisting words). Windows 7 is the best desktop OS by MS. Windows 8 is directed at tablets mostly but can still be used in a desktop environment. They had to focus on Tablets cause that's where the world is now, and I'm not talking about gamers..... business and home which is the meat of MS's income.

Ah ok sorry, text isn't as nice to interpret properly as we'd all like. Yeah Windows 7 is probably the last "Great desktop OS" from Microsoft, at least until they find their feet on Tablets and then bring us the benefits they've created like the memory management and security improvements in the form of a desktop OS (Which I think is very likely to happen).
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
My Interpretation of the article was that they know the pains people have with 8. They are adopting the OS X form of updates which are either free or very cheap. The part I posted from the article, to me says, we know you hate the UI so we're going to fix it on the desktop version and return it to a seemingly desktop OS usability. Thats what I took away from the article.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

GummiRaccoon

Same here. :)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If steam manages to get most games running on ubuntu that's where i'll go

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

good thing Unity 3d is starting to allow game builds to be made in Linux.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
I'm looking forward to Windows 9. They seem to do a good job every other time.