Say hello to Windows Blue!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darksusperia
#1 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -

I wont post the whole article here, you can read it at the source. One of the most interesting parts:

The first Windows Blue release will be priced at "a low cost or even free to ensure users upgrade," according to the tech site, which said the upgrade will "include UI changes" from Windows 8, as well as other "alterations to the entire platform."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412625,00.asp

Avatar image for jakes456
#2 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

not interested.

Avatar image for JohnF111
#3 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
No thanks.
Avatar image for GummiRaccoon
#4 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

Avatar image for Amster_G
#5 Posted by Amster_G (4329 posts) -

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

GummiRaccoon

As of right now, I'm thinking the same.

Avatar image for msfan1289
#6 Posted by msfan1289 (1044 posts) -

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

GummiRaccoon

why?

Avatar image for JohnF111
#7 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

msfan1289

why?

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.
Avatar image for FelipeInside
#8 Posted by FelipeInside (28472 posts) -
[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

JohnF111

why?

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.
Avatar image for GummiRaccoon
#9 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="msfan1289"]

why?

FelipeInside

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

The point was windows 7 is the last desktop OS from microsoft.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#10 Posted by FelipeInside (28472 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.GummiRaccoon

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

The point was windows 7 is the last desktop OS from microsoft.

So they add a different menu, improve on everything in desktop mode but it's the last desktop OS from MS?

And how do we know what Windows 9 will bring?

Granted Windows 8 is directed at Tablets and Touch Devices, but it can still be used on a Desktop.

Imagine the rage on these forums if MS had decided to bring out Win8 on Tablets ONLY?

Avatar image for GummiRaccoon
#11 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.FelipeInside

The point was windows 7 is the last desktop OS from microsoft.

So they add a different menu, improve on everything in desktop mode but it's the last desktop OS from MS?

And how do we know what Windows 9 will bring?

Granted Windows 8 is directed at Tablets and Touch Devices, but it can still be used on a Desktop.

Imagine the rage on these forums if MS had decided to bring out Win8 on Tablets ONLY?

Why aren't we allowed to talk about why we don't like it?

Avatar image for jakes456
#12 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

[QUOTE="msfan1289"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

JohnF111

why?

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

lol sorry chump but Linux is garbo. Just because Valve has developed a steam client for Linux doesn't mean all game developers are going to release games for it. are you really that clueless?

90% of useful programs don't even work on Linux.

Linux is for people with no life who like to waste time on the computer.

Avatar image for AlexKidd5000
#13 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (2586 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

The point was windows 7 is the last desktop OS from microsoft.

GummiRaccoon

So they add a different menu, improve on everything in desktop mode but it's the last desktop OS from MS?

And how do we know what Windows 9 will bring?

Granted Windows 8 is directed at Tablets and Touch Devices, but it can still be used on a Desktop.

Imagine the rage on these forums if MS had decided to bring out Win8 on Tablets ONLY?

Why aren't we allowed to talk about why we don't like it?

Watch the sales of start8 sky rocket, and see what MS does with windows 9 LOL
Avatar image for wis3boi
#14 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

just what we need....a new OS. kthnxbai

Avatar image for GummiRaccoon
#15 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="msfan1289"]

why?

jakes456

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

lol sorry chump but Linux is garbo. Just because Valve has developed a steam client for Linux doesn't mean all game developers are going to release games for it. are you really that clueless?

90% of useful programs don't even work on Linux.

Linux is for people with no life who like to waste time on the computer.

Do you ever say anything that is correct?

No, no you don't.

Avatar image for JohnF111
#16 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="msfan1289"]

why?

FelipeInside
Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

Where did I say that Windows 7 is not a desktop OS? I wasn't complaining as I clearly mentioned that Windows moved focus to Tablets and I was fine with it. Jeez talk about twisting words.
Avatar image for JohnF111
#17 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="msfan1289"]

why?

jakes456

Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

lol sorry chump but Linux is garbo. Just because Valve has developed a steam client for Linux doesn't mean all game developers are going to release games for it. are you really that clueless?

90% of useful programs don't even work on Linux.

Linux is for people with no life who like to waste time on the computer.

Wow so it's true.. You really are an idiot. I said MORE developers are adopting Linux, not all. Also by 90% are you talking about Windows apps? Then sure that's obvious bu there's an app to replace every windows app and most are free. Read I said MOST not all apps are free before you jump in and exaggerate again.
Avatar image for GamerwillzPS
#18 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

GummiRaccoon

Same here.

Avatar image for superclocked
#19 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
DirectX is too cost effective for companies to just go switching to OpenGL/Linux. Developers do like OpenGL because it's more flexible, and I'm glad that Sony kept it alive, but I don't see companies spending so much more on developing PC games tbh; Especially since most gamers, including myself, are sticking with Windows.. I'm willing to bet that almost everyone in this thread that said Windows 7 would be their last Windows OS are going to end up getting Windows 9. People were saying the same thing when Vista was released, but then everyone ended up buying Windows 7 anyway...
Avatar image for FelipeInside
#20 Posted by FelipeInside (28472 posts) -
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] Windows has become crap and not that I don't appreciate that MS only go after profit and that looks more and more to be in Tablets, I just don't see why I should continue using Windows on a desktop when it's no longer a desktop OS. For me Linux provides 90% of the things I need and it's improving almost daily. The other 10% is games and even that's changing thanks to Valve and more developers adopting Linux as a viable business platform.

Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

Where did I say that Windows 7 is not a desktop OS? I wasn't complaining as I clearly mentioned that Windows moved focus to Tablets and I was fine with it. Jeez talk about twisting words.

Yes, that's what I meant, you understood me wrong (I wasn't twisting words). Windows 7 is the best desktop OS by MS. Windows 8 is directed at tablets mostly but can still be used in a desktop environment. They had to focus on Tablets cause that's where the world is now, and I'm not talking about gamers..... business and home which is the meat of MS's income.
Avatar image for GummiRaccoon
#21 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

DirectX is too cost effective for companies to just go switching to OpenGL/Linux. Developers do like OpenGL because it's more flexible, and I'm glad that Sony kept it alive, but I don't see companies spending so much more on developing PC games tbh; Especially since most gamers, including myself, are sticking with Windows.. I'm willing to bet that almost everyone in this thread that said Windows 7 would be their last Windows OS are going to end up getting Windows 9. People were saying the same thing when Vista was released, but then everyone ended up buying Windows 7 anyway...superclocked

I'd like to say that when vista came out I said I would wait for the next version of windows.

Since then, linux has lept forward in ease of use, I run my home server off of it, my VPS is running centOS, steam is going to linux and probably blizzard games will too. PC games are almost exclusively awful console ports these days so my interest in PC gaming is waning. Libre Office is just a quarter step behind office 2010 and I feel superior to the new MS office.

The changes MS made to the UI were arbitrary and unneccesary.

The only reason I don't use linux as my desktop OS is because of games.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#22 Posted by FelipeInside (28472 posts) -
PC games awful console ports? What are U on today?
Avatar image for JohnF111
#23 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Windows 7 not a desktop OS? Ok then. Why complain so much? No one is holding a gun to your head. Go to Linux and be happy I guess.

Where did I say that Windows 7 is not a desktop OS? I wasn't complaining as I clearly mentioned that Windows moved focus to Tablets and I was fine with it. Jeez talk about twisting words.

Yes, that's what I meant, you understood me wrong (I wasn't twisting words). Windows 7 is the best desktop OS by MS. Windows 8 is directed at tablets mostly but can still be used in a desktop environment. They had to focus on Tablets cause that's where the world is now, and I'm not talking about gamers..... business and home which is the meat of MS's income.

Ah ok sorry, text isn't as nice to interpret properly as we'd all like. Yeah Windows 7 is probably the last "Great desktop OS" from Microsoft, at least until they find their feet on Tablets and then bring us the benefits they've created like the memory management and security improvements in the form of a desktop OS (Which I think is very likely to happen).
Avatar image for darksusperia
#24 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -
My Interpretation of the article was that they know the pains people have with 8. They are adopting the OS X form of updates which are either free or very cheap. The part I posted from the article, to me says, we know you hate the UI so we're going to fix it on the desktop version and return it to a seemingly desktop OS usability. Thats what I took away from the article.
Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#25 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -

I have a feeling that windows 7 is my last windows OS

GummiRaccoon

Same here. :)

Avatar image for kraken2109
#26 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

If steam manages to get most games running on ubuntu that's where i'll go

Avatar image for msfan1289
#27 Posted by msfan1289 (1044 posts) -

good thing Unity 3d is starting to allow game builds to be made in Linux.

Avatar image for N8A
#28 Posted by N8A (18602 posts) -
I'm looking forward to Windows 9. They seem to do a good job every other time.