RPG: Oblivion vs. Witcher

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

babafats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 babafats
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking for a good non-MMO RPG to take up some of my time, hopefully in a sufficiently engrossing manner. I read several pages back in the boards but didn't find a similar topic, but if there is one, just point me to it.

Oblivion and the Witcher are the two I'm looking at. Can anyone offer some comparative thoughts? I'm also open to other suggestions.

As for hardware, I'm running a laptop with a 2.4 GHz i5, ATI Radeon 5650, 6 GB RAM. (Which I presume is enough to handle either of these two games, but if I'm wrong, that'd be good to know as well.)

Thanks!

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Witcher is much more engrossing to me than Oblivion. Oblivion felt like an MMORPG but you're the only one playing. Witcher's characters develop much better and the story is much coherent.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts
I'd definitely call The Witcher one of the best RPGs of this generation, and Oblivion one of the most lacklustre. But what do you prefer more - freedom or a good story?
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

May also suggest Dragona Age: Origins, Mass Effect and Fallout 3.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Oblivion and The Witcher are so different it's near-impossible to compare them. What are you looking for in an RPG? Do you prefer open worlds to explore, or less freedom but more depth and focus of story and narrative? If you want a big contrast to MMORPGs, stay away from Oblivion. ;)
babafats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 babafats

Yeah I guess what I'm looking for is a good story-driven game. I do enjoy MMOs but looking for a change.

As for DA: O, it seems enticing but I've heard it requires a pretty powerful system; would I be able to run it well enough to enjoy it on my laptop?

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

I didn't really like The Witcher all that much... I loved Oblivion (back in its day I REALLY loved it)...

Witcher was to "slow" for me and felt more or less linear... In Oblivion, you can do pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want... Like literally, you can put 100 hours in the game and never even play the main quest...

The Witcher has a demo, you should download it and try though... Maybe you like that sort of gameplay.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Yeah I guess what I'm looking for is a good story-driven game. I do enjoy MMOs but looking for a change.

As for DA: O, it seems enticing but I've heard it requires a pretty powerful system; would I be able to run it well enough to enjoy it on my laptop?

babafats
Dragon Age is actually quite well optimized - it runs smoother and looks better than The Witcher does on my computer, at least, and it's pretty modest (7750, Radeon 4830, 4GB). The Witcher isn't horrible by any stretch, but it can chug a bit occasionally. I'd go for The Witcher, though. I think it's even on sale on Impulse this weekend for $10.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
I actually had more fun playing Oblivion. The Witcher is great too, but Oblivion with mods can become the greatest WRPG to have ever existed.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Oblivion was engrossing for days on end.

I was never able to get past about six hours with The Witcher. Didn't much care for the main character or the plot, and for the most part, the game dragged on really slowly. The gameplay just reminded me of Neverwinter Nights 2, and that got me thinking about how much more fun I would probably be having playing that.

Maybe that game gets really hot at about hour 7 or so, but I doubt I'll ever have the patience to make it there.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
I never had the privilege of playing the Witcher, but I don't really think anything could be worse than Oblivion as an RPG. Story was lackluster, world was generic, gameplay was meh at best. Only good part was that it looked good and there was a lot to do, but quality > quantity.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon

babafats
Post your specs and we can tell you. :) I am playing it maxed out on my laptop, if that helps, on an i7-720, HD5730, 4GB RAM. And if you're looking for a story driven game, you will enjoy The Witcher and Dragon Age more than you will Oblivion. Avoid the demo for The Witcher though. The game had glitches and bugs in its earlier forms, and it will give you an experience and impression of the game that is no longer correct, since it has been very thoroughly patched since it came out.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

The Witcher is WAY better

enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 enorox
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

Hey, is the Witcher more linear? because to be honest, I'd rather a game be linear. I have both DA:O and Oblivion and like DA:O better because the story was driven from point to point. I haven't fully experienced oblivion yet but maybe it's just me that I don't like having to find where to go next.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
The Witcher, Oblivion is one of the most overrated titles of the decade.
siafni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 siafni
Member since 2005 • 629 Posts

You may be interested to know that the witcher is more demanding than Oblivion in terms of hardware, I am playgin oblivion right now on a laptop with T6400 + Ati4650 and it runs great on medium-high... I remember the witcher used to crash a lot when I played it (enhenced edition)...

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

Hey, is the Witcher more linear? because to be honest, I'd rather a game be linear. I have both DA:O and Oblivion and like DA:O better because the story was driven from point to point. I haven't fully experienced oblivion yet but maybe it's just me that I don't like having to find where to go next.

enorox

The Witcher is the most linear of those three games, with the player generally being limited to one town/city and its surroundings per chapter (although there's still a lot to do and explore within those areas, and plenty of deep, grey moral choices to make that'll affect how events play out).

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiliDragon

enorox
I found The Witcher to be more linear than Dragon Age. You can't get on the world map and switch areas all the time, for example.
enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enorox

Hmm, I might have to check it out. what's the combat like?

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

enorox

Witcher has the weirdest combat for an RPG I've seen. It's based on timing when you click the left mouse button and I'm not really a big fan. DA:O is based on tactically managing your group, and you are able to pause and assign attacks at any time

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon

enorox
Did you ever play KotOR? It's the same engine, so it's turn-based and based on stats. You click to attack, and if you time it right you can do combo attacks that do more damage. If you're timing is off you either miss or you reset the combo counter. You dodge incoming attacks by double-tapping WASD. Essentially it's a hybrid between Action RPG combat and old-school turn-based stat-based combat.So yeah, it's a bit weird. I have no complaints with it though.
babafats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 babafats

ChiliDragon, I posted my specs in the original post, but here they are again: i5-450 2.4 GHz, ATI Radeon 5650, 6GB RAM.

It sounds like DA: O has at least somewhat of a blend between the open-endedness of Oblivion and being story-driven, which does sound appealing.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChiliDragon

ChiliDragon, I posted my specs in the original post, but here they are again: i5-450 2.4 GHz, ATI Radeon 5650, 6GB RAM.

babafats
Duh. My bad. :oops: And you should be able to run Dragon Age just fine on that. Like I said, I'm maxing it out on an i7 with 4GB RAM and an HD 5730. Heads-up, by the way, the CPU runs ridiculously hot when I run this game. Keep an eye on it. Dragon Age is a semi-open game. It gives you clear direction on what needs to be done, but leave it up to you how you choose to do it, if that makes sense. You start in the "tutorial area" and go through the first "chapter". After that's done you get access to 4-5 regions that go can go to in whatever order you prefer, and move back and forth between as you like. The main plot requires you to complete all of them eventually, and when you have, one of these areas has the triggers to move on to the next stage of the game. Pretty much same formula as KotOR or Mass Effect... Bioware rarely change a proven concept or formula. ;)
enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enorox

Sounds new and interesting, will deff give witcher a try

Edit, at least for me since I haven't played KOTOR or anything like the combat you described

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Just go into The Witcher knowing that the combat is the game's weakest aspect and you'll be fine (it helps that it only costs $10 too). I wouldn't call the combat like KOTOR, though - it's more like Summoner, if you've played that. Real-time with timed clicks to continue your combos.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
Personally, I thought KotOR was better than both The Witcher and Dragon Age, but don't take that to mean the latter two are bad. They're great. It's just that KotOR is better. :)
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Dragon Age: Origins and then The Witcher. Oblivion does not belong on my list. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I liked The Witcher a lot more.
sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

The Witcher.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

If these two games were any more different, they'd be different genres altogether. I love both of them, but for very different reasons. Based on what you said, I think you'd enjoy The Witcher more.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChiliDragon

Did you people even play Oblivion ? The Witcher had horribly bad combat. Oblivion also is much easier on the eyes graphically. Seriously this isn't even close. Oblivion is the one to choose.

DeViLzzz
I did play Oblivion. And becuase I did, I will not recommend it to a person who is looking for a linear and strongly story-driven game. My personal opinion of the game aside, Oblivion doesn't fit in with what TC is looking for, so recommending it isn't helping him.
eyelickED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eyelickED
Member since 2009 • 246 Posts

Get Oblivion. It may not have been as good as Morrowind but i still put hundreds of hours into it and i never really liked the witcher, it doesnt feel as open as oblivion.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Vanilla Oblivion is a pretty good game with hours of gameplay but if you prefer a great story go with The Witcher. If you like mods and plan on using a lot then go with Oblivion.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

Iloved the withcer much more than Oblivion. Oblivion tried to surpass Morrowind but I was less impressed with it. The Witcher is a really fun and addictive RPG.

RyviusRan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RyviusRan
Member since 2010 • 558 Posts

Definately the Witcher.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Am I the only one that loves the combat in the Witcher? I picked up the Platinum edition in store today, I'm not regretting the purchase at all, very good game. I recommend both.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#38 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The Witcher is a completely absorbing experience. Whereas Oblivion is a steaming pile of cow dung that flies would be reluctant to land on. The game is basically broken straight out of the box. Yes there are various mods to fix simple things like the map (they couldn't even get that right) but you really shouldn't have to download all this stuff just to get the game working. Thats just my preference out of the two. I'd probably get Dragon Age instead. Its more polished than The Witcher.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The Witcher is a completely absorbing experience. Whereas Oblivion is a steaming pile of cow dung that flies would be reluctant to land on. The game is basically broken straight out of the box. Yes there are various mods to fix simple things like the map (they couldn't even get that right) but you really shouldn't have to download all this stuff just to get the game working. Thats just my preference out of the two. I'd probably get Dragon Age instead. Its more polished than The Witcher. biggest_loser
This. Because you bring up valid points, especially about having to download MODS mind you, to fix things.
keren_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 keren_man
Member since 2009 • 191 Posts

I love The Witcher combat system and the mini-games, but Oblivion has lot of thing to offer. I reccomend Oblivion in this case:)

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

The Witcher. It's one of my favorite games ever.

But get The Witcher and Morrowind instead of Oblivion. It's worth it.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Neither game has particularly good combat, Oblivion's consists of simply hitting in a pattern similar to 1-2-3-block-strong attack-1-2-3-block-strong attack-repeat ad nauseum, bows are included though arrows travel neither fast nor far, and spells are included though there are only 4 combat spells and they all have the same visual effect, so a level 1 fire attack spell looks identical to a fire spell at level 50. The Witcher has an equally simple timed combo system that essentially makes fights into a timed click fest where you occasionally press a hotkey for a potion or to cast a spell.

As far as story The Witcher excells well past Oblivion in this regard with great characters, good writing, and a lengthy story arc that gives Geralt decisions not routed entirely in either good or evil. It's not simply a case of be good, be neutral, be evil, that you experience in many Bioware games. Oblivion gives you no such options and the main quest can be completed in under 5 hours. Each guild takes about the same amount of time and you illogically can join all factions in the game. There are no faction requirements as in past games so potentially everything can be completed fairly easily because of Oblivions system of leveled monster encounters.

In terms of visuals The Witcher is better. Oblivion uses low res textures, bad distant lod, and texture and foliage popping and ugly randomly generated npc faces look awful. The Witcher doesn't have as much variety in characters but what is there looks good and handcrafted set pieces make each area unique whereas Oblivion will rehash the same fortress over and over.

Neither game has much replay value. For Oblivion you can restart as a different race as ultimately c-lass doesn't really matter as every skill can be leveled up completely on one character. For the Witcher you can play through and try different options to see how the world is affected as you progress.

Personally I recommend the Witcher. I slammed through Oblivion in no time and quickly became bored and haven't gone back to it, even mods can't fix a game that isn't that fun to begin with. The Witcher will give you a better length, better story, and in my opinion better gameplay.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#43 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I haven't played The Witcher, I will and I want to, but I haven't played it. As for Oblivion, it was absolutely amazing when I first played it. Very deep, engrossing and fun. I packed well over 100 hours into it and kept on questing long after I finished the campaign.

I would also suggest Dragon Age: Origins. It's my favorite game this generation on any platform. It's just a wonderful game with great characters, a cool story, fun combat and the works. I love it, I beat it once and I immediately started a second playthrough. Lots of cool decisions to make.

I also enjoyed Mass Effect, though I personally think Dragon Age is a much better game. If you go for Mass Effect start with the first one, though I hear the sequel is better I haven't played it yet. I'll probably play ME2 on my 360 since I can import my character data, but the big draw for ME2 is importing your decisions into the game. It becomes very personal.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

I loved Oblivion (back in its day I REALLY loved it)...

Buttons1990
Back in its day...like 4 years ago?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I consider The Witcher to be a great game. I consider Oblivion to be an okay game.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

May also suggest Dragona Age: Origins, Mass Effect and Fallout 3.

dramaybaz
You can't go wrong with any of these games -- Oblivion, The Witcher, DA: Origins, Mass Effect, Fallout 3... you should play them all eventually.
foster6993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 foster6993
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts
didnt really get into withcer, i dont like rpg's where your not in full control of your character and his story, oblivion did that well, and with mods you can pretty much do whatever you want and do what the genre suggests, role play in a game.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Oblivion is broad, not deep, and merely creates the illusion of depth by utilizing the vast amount of content they put in (quantity over quality approach). As far as role-playing goes, the Witcher's more limited but is also more significant in the development of your main character, and it's considerably better written.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

As far as an actual RPG goes, the witcher easily. Oblivion is more like an action with simplified RPG elements. That being said, its still a good game, but if you want an actual RPG. The Witcher.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I would go with with the poster who suggested DAO. It's better than both Oblivion and the Witcher. I didn't like the Witcher and still don't understand all the high ratings it gets. If you get Oblivion you have to install mods. Without mods, Oblivion is very boring. With mods Oblivion is awesome.

So I would say get DAO. If not grab Oblivion. I would only get the Witcher if you can get it for under a dollar. You can then use it as a beverage coaster.